Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 28 Sep 2010, 04:42 (Ref:2765850)   #1
GT VIRUS
Rookie

GT VIRUS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Singapore Edit

While watching the race, i was thinking of what would be the best way to get rid of that annoying T10 chicane that everyone birates all the time, and I have some up with it! Of course, this is not realisic without ALOT of money, but still, could work...

I would propose a fly-over to create a track crossing. Accually an underpass would proberly work better in the atmosphere of the race, but I dont think that would be as easy to do (but what do i know :P). This then reverses the direction of the western loop. There is space for run-off at the end of the esplanade bridge, so no worries there. Keeping the old t12 Chicane means run-off isn't needed at the old turn 10, and that chicane can go. I believe there is room at the end of Raffles Ave for the nessicary run-off there due to increased speeds.

The only issue that I can think of is that my proposed run-off at the old T9 (I put this on the map) isn't really straight to the track. While this is not ideal, I believe it would still work well enough to not need something micky-mouse there.

Well I've just put too much thinking time into this little redesign, so leave you comments :P
Old 28 Sep 2010, 10:27 (Ref:2765953)   #2
Tathrim
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lancaster/Wallingford
Tathrim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT VIRUS View Post
While watching the race, i was thinking of what would be the best way to get rid of that annoying T10 chicane that everyone birates all the time, and I have some up with it! Of course, this is not realisic without ALOT of money, but still, could work...

I would propose a fly-over to create a track crossing. Accually an underpass would proberly work better in the atmosphere of the race, but I dont think that would be as easy to do (but what do i know :P). This then reverses the direction of the western loop. There is space for run-off at the end of the esplanade bridge, so no worries there. Keeping the old t12 Chicane means run-off isn't needed at the old turn 10, and that chicane can go. I believe there is room at the end of Raffles Ave for the nessicary run-off there due to increased speeds.

EDIT: See here for a possible solution, if you NEED to get rid of the chicane, but I think it provides a challenge.

The only issue that I can think of is that my proposed run-off at the old T9 (I put this on the map) isn't really straight to the track. While this is not ideal, I believe it would still work well enough to not need something micky-mouse there.

Well I've just put too much thinking time into this little redesign, so leave you comments :P
You're wrong, and I'll tell you why.

Firstly, an underpass or a bridge is not practical in the short term.

Secondly, there is no room to place runoff at that junction going the other way, either, as you've got the supreme court on that side, and parliament on the other side, so the chicane can't be removed due to lots of potential for an exit vector to cause the car to damage the buildings. Therefore, just leave it there!!

Last edited by Tathrim; 28 Sep 2010 at 10:47.
Old 28 Sep 2010, 16:12 (Ref:2766141)   #3
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tathrim View Post
You're wrong, and I'll tell you why.

Firstly, an underpass or a bridge is not practical in the short term.

Secondly, there is no room to place runoff at that junction going the other way, either, as you've got the supreme court on that side, and parliament on the other side, so the chicane can't be removed due to lots of potential for an exit vector to cause the car to damage the buildings. Therefore, just leave it there!!
Ooh, I don't know about leaving the chicane there. It needs to go, surely.

If they don't do that, then they should at least get rid of those bloody combination kerbs that are completely pointless.

If they want to prevent corner cutting, why not use the kind of kerbs they used to "in the old days" - i.e. the kerbs weren't flat. There's no need to overdo corners in such a fashion. (Bit off-topic, so apologies)

On an interesting side-note, if you look at the annoying chicane on streetview, you can see where they put the kerbs!

Last edited by dyewat808; 28 Sep 2010 at 16:18.
Old 28 Sep 2010, 16:31 (Ref:2766157)   #4
Tathrim
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lancaster/Wallingford
Tathrim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyewat808 View Post
Ooh, I don't know about leaving the chicane there. It needs to go, surely.

If they don't do that, then they should at least get rid of those bloody combination kerbs that are completely pointless.

If they want to prevent corner cutting, why not use the kind of kerbs they used to "in the old days" - i.e. the kerbs weren't flat. There's no need to overdo corners in such a fashion. (Bit off-topic, so apologies)

On an interesting side-note, if you look at the annoying chicane on streetview, you can see where they put the kerbs!
I'd edited the post to suggest an alternative, but it didn't post.

The chicane is necessary if you keep that layout. look at the street view, there is no room in either direction, especially when taking into account the exit vectors.

However, the trick here is to provide an alternative. here is the link to what I'd suggest: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...16447&t=h&z=17

EDIT: Correlate it with the bing maps, as it sees the grandstand ont he marina.

Last edited by Tathrim; 28 Sep 2010 at 16:42.
Old 28 Sep 2010, 18:53 (Ref:2766231)   #5
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tathrim View Post
I'd edited the post to suggest an alternative, but it didn't post.

The chicane is necessary if you keep that layout. look at the street view, there is no room in either direction, especially when taking into account the exit vectors.

However, the trick here is to provide an alternative. here is the link to what I'd suggest: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...16447&t=h&z=17

EDIT: Correlate it with the bing maps, as it sees the grandstand ont he marina.
Haha, excellent stuff - exactly the alternative I was going to propose - going down Connaught Drive instead.
Interesting where that chicane is - certainly agree about the lack of space - looks like they have to remove an entire bit of junction to make the chicane.

Interestingly there also seem to be suggestions that the organisers have plans to change the track layout for 2011, so it will be intriguing to see what they come up with. I do think that the current layout is quite good for a street circuit, apart from the chicane. If they have to keep the chicane, imo they should change the kerbs to minimise the possibility of incidents like Sutil in practice happening again.

[Just noticed that your alternative posted before got caught up somehow in the quote part of the post]
Old 29 Sep 2010, 13:38 (Ref:2766631)   #6
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I quite like the chicane to be honest, something different.
Old 29 Sep 2010, 19:30 (Ref:2766802)   #7
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of all the new circuits on the F1 calendar, Singapore has proven to show good races regularly already at only 3 events staged. Bernie is definitely right to want to prolongue its contract and keep it on the calendar.
Old 30 Sep 2010, 14:12 (Ref:2767163)   #8
Litchfield
Rookie

United States
Jacksonville
Litchfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, I'm going to agree and say that I like the T10 Chicane. Just because the drivers hate it doesn't mean it is a bad track aspect. Would we say Eau Rouge is a bad track aspect if the drivers hated it (not saying the T10 Chicane is even in the same league as ER, but you get the point.
Old 30 Sep 2010, 16:15 (Ref:2767261)   #9
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
For me, it's nothing to do with what the drivers say; it's just that I find the complex ludicrous and unnecessary in that form. And apart from all that, chicanes in and of themselves have NO redeeming value whatsoever from my perspective.

Make Turn 10 just a single left with an increasing-radius exit. Loosen up the Turn 11/12 esse a bit. Finally, get rid of Turns 16-19. You hardly even notice the grandstand thing anyway, because you're running at night, and you already have all the other surrounding buildings and overpasses. On top of that, it's not exactly a novel feature; remember the baseball stadium at Mexico City?
Old 2 Oct 2010, 20:27 (Ref:2768363)   #10
Helicon_One
Rookie

Helicon_One should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The problem with using Connaught Drive is that at the northern end its only 2 lanes wide, way too narrow for racing since just about any incident there will force a red flag.
Old 3 Oct 2010, 19:27 (Ref:2768756)   #11
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Considering that the course uses the Anderson Bridge (which is split such that the usable section for F1 is only two lanes), that seems a moot point. Not to mention, F1 runs at Monaco ('nuff said).

Anyway, they could widen the road, and clearly, the original Singapore course layouts back in 2006/2007 called for it. The original plan had the course using that street without the extra bits that go nearer the water, and had the track direction reversed such that what are Turns 15 and 14 now (right by the Esplanade Center) were Turns 1 and 2.