Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 18 Jan 2005, 07:52 (Ref:1203537)   #26
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dov
Agreed. You could put most average racecar drivers in a IRL car and they'll look like an Unser, Andretti, Emmo, Tracy, etc. JMO!

Don't think that's true.

ChampCar backmarkers have tended to be the same in IndyCars - unless they've got into a good team.

And vice versa.
Old 18 Jan 2005, 16:53 (Ref:1203890)   #27
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Roberto Gonzalez has lost his Nextel sponsorship.
Old 18 Jan 2005, 17:47 (Ref:1203935)   #28
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Dov's statement comes accross a tad strong, but I agree with the basic premise. If the driver is 40% of the equation in CC they're ~20% in the IRL. The emphasis is also more on things like strategy than car control.
Old 18 Jan 2005, 17:53 (Ref:1203937)   #29
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree that the car has a bigger overall influence on competitiveness in oval racing - but merely to keep it in the right direction needs huge amounts of precision and car control - particularly when you're millimetres away from another car.
Old 18 Jan 2005, 18:23 (Ref:1203963)   #30
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What I was meaning is that with your foot to the floor through a corner it requires a lot less driver control than when on an oval the back end steps out or when on a road/street course negotiating a tricky series of bumpy corners.
Old 18 Jan 2005, 20:35 (Ref:1204104)   #31
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I suspect a few words will be eaten once the IRL guys get out there at the Glen and Sonoma. Snrub's words here don't quite seem coherent, but he's clearly under the opinion that running 3-abreast at 200mph+ while adjusting to backmarkers, strategic changes etc is relatively easy. I disagree. In terms of achieving the ultimate lap in perfect conditions, the car is a bigger factor in the on ovals, but not when typical racing factors come into play.
Old 18 Jan 2005, 21:33 (Ref:1204153)   #32
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
<sigh> Normally in racing, to run through a corner at the fastest pace you are required to slow and take a line that is not simply the smallest radius through the turn, or a radius that has the same curvature as the turn. This is the essence of all non-drag racing. It requires driver control. A situation where you can go 3 abreast without lifting or compromising your speed relative to a car that is not beside you means that the driver did not require substantial car control (relative to a normal situation) to be able to go through the corner. The driver had to ensure they didn't crash into the other cars and that takes some skill. Stratagy is a big factor too.

Yes setup is more important in all oval racing, but in what I'll call 'proper' oval racing the car is setup very lose and optimized for 2-4 corners. The car is not easy to drive.

The IRL might do 'foot to the floor through the corner' racing more often, but on certain ovals CC has that kind of racing too (eg. Vegas), so I don't consider that a purely partisan comment.

Boots: What exactly do you expect to happen on the IRL road/street courses? I expect to cars that are normally shut out for being 1mph slower than the fastests at the end of a straight, to be competitive.

Last edited by Snrub; 18 Jan 2005 at 21:41.
Old 19 Jan 2005, 05:09 (Ref:1204405)   #33
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Would you believe that this thread is entitled,
Dominguez gone for 2005?

If he's going to F1, how in the world did we end up debating driver skill in the IRL?
Old 19 Jan 2005, 05:51 (Ref:1204416)   #34
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just because Midland might take over Jordan doesn't necessarily mean that Dominguez is going to move there in 2005.
Old 19 Jan 2005, 06:03 (Ref:1204420)   #35
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'll wait until it is formally announced...

But Autosport is a pretty good source, mountainstar....they don't pull rumors out of their butts and post them as stories...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 19 Jan 2005, 06:14 (Ref:1204422)   #36
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I'm admittedly not familiar with anything that is going on in F1, about Midland or anything else. But I'd find it unlikely that a team would hire a driver for one year and have him develop the car, only to hand the drive over to somebody else in 2006. You'd think that they'd want their "primary" driver to be the one submitting the input for the 2006 car right from the word "go".

And so - Do I understand this correctly? - A new team sets their sights to the 2006 F1 season and already hires Dominguez. Suddenly an opportunity opens up and this team can begin operations a year early. If this is true, Dominguez will be outta here.

Which is terrible news. Absolutely terrible.
Old 19 Jan 2005, 06:20 (Ref:1204425)   #37
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Providing they can get him out of his HVM contract.
Old 19 Jan 2005, 07:07 (Ref:1204437)   #38
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
Providing they can get him out of his HVM contract.
Formula 1 is, after all, Formula 1, and I'm sure Dominguez - granted he wants to become a Formula 1 driver bad enough - will do everything in his power to work out a solution.

IF the Midland/Jordan deal comes through and IF Dominguez gets one of the seats, that is - nothing is certain until it's officially announced in this business.
Old 19 Jan 2005, 08:38 (Ref:1204488)   #39
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy
Would you believe that this thread is entitled,
Dominguez gone for 2005?

If he's going to F1, how in the world did we end up debating driver skill in the IRL?

I just looked at this thread for the first time and thought...what the!

And i'll be honest, I just wanted to post this smiley: