Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 31 Oct 2002, 21:06 (Ref:418835)   #1
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Give next year a chance

Just because Ferrari dominated 2002, doesn't mean the same thing will happen in 2003. Some of you seem to think that we are in for 16 (Spa's gone) Melbourne '98s (without the last lap switch) next year. I am looking forward to next year, and I'm pretty sure it will be closer too, even without the new scoring system. So come on, lets see some optimism!
Old 31 Oct 2002, 21:15 (Ref:418841)   #2
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ferrari cant stay on top for too long.....that just wont happen in F1 ....i think Mclaren are gonna be nearer next year. I still think Ferrari will be top , but it wont be a walkover .
Old 31 Oct 2002, 21:46 (Ref:418869)   #3
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ferrari will win again .... but I can't wait.

- Webber most likely in a better car
- If he comes, how will da Matta go?
- How good is Alonso?
- Will Jacques and Jenson get on?
- How many times will the Willy boys take each other out?
- Will Kimi smash DC?
- Will the Hondas keep exploding?
- Will Minardi start and complete the season?
- Will anyone challenge Ferrari?
- Will Honda, Jag and Toyota pick up their games?

All this and more!
Old 31 Oct 2002, 22:07 (Ref:418910)   #4
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am less optimistic, as long as tires are being made for one car specifically the rest of the teams will have to eat the crumbs. Now the new rules may make it a little easier for the other teams on Bridgestone but still I don't think the tires will be as developed for Sauber as they will be for Ferrari.

On the Michelin side of things if Mac and Willi do work together in making a better suited tire for both teams maybe they will be able to significantly close the gap.

As for the rest of the teams, I have high hopes for the Honda's but still expect the worst. The fight for 2nd and 4th should be good. The loser of the close fight between Willi and Mac will be third and I don't expect Renault to place 4th as easily as they did last year.

What I am hoping for is BAR pulling off regular upsets to the pecking order. Renault is being discounted (by me too) but they could also bring something to the mix.
Old 31 Oct 2002, 23:24 (Ref:418958)   #5
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only thing that will be interesting in a remote kind of way will be speculating about how Ferrari cheated this week. I guess the championship will be "won" by Easter; however, it was in actuality "won" the day after Suzuka 2002.

I'm not giving it any more chances until TGF retires. But I might watch the new qualifying once or twice to see how it works.
Old 31 Oct 2002, 23:39 (Ref:418963)   #6
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I suppose one reason to be cheerful for next year is that over the winter season Bridgestone and Michelin will be devoloping even softer tyres for their teams.
Plus with the new rule of allowing tyre companies to tailor tyres to different cars, we may see a slight improvement from the midfield runners, from bridgestone anyway as they are heavy Ferrari Biased, unlike Michelin which do more of a compromise.

Softer tyres = more grip, more grip = more overtaking opportunities.

Last edited by Sodemo; 31 Oct 2002 at 23:40.
Old 1 Nov 2002, 01:47 (Ref:419020)   #7
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I don't think Ferrari cheated. They just have the best software guru in the business pinched from McLaren, and they did not have to compromise one iota with their tyres - tailor made for Ferrari's #1 driver. And they had a wonderful engine, and a very talented driver.
And they will still dominate the 2003 season.
Old 1 Nov 2002, 02:05 (Ref:419031)   #8
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wait!! Are there people that still watch to see who will win the WDC? We already know the winner for 2003 and 2004. Come on, the best part of F1 is in the midfield. We just need to convince the TV stations.
Old 1 Nov 2002, 04:43 (Ref:419068)   #9
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'll watch the first round or two, but if it continues to be as boring as this year, I'll stick to MotoGP and CART and WRC and WSB.
Old 1 Nov 2002, 04:46 (Ref:419070)   #10
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
The only thing that will be interesting in a remote kind of way will be speculating about how Ferrari cheated this week.
Nah, more likely the only "controversy" we'll see will be regarding which Ferrari finishes first, and whether there was sandbagging during the pit stops...

but.. this is a happy thread- I am really looking forward to this new qualifying, and to seeing JPM vs MS flat out on a one lap qualifying. It'll be like watching skiers come down the hill in the downhill...

Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 1 Nov 2002 at 04:47.
Old 1 Nov 2002, 10:30 (Ref:419209)   #11
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks Liz - in the one thread designed to promote at least some positive thinking you come up with one of your usual depressing diatribes.

As ever I have high hopes for next season. Even this year there was plenty going on behind the top two to keep us interested, and that will always be the case.

I especially look forward to the new cars and this coming year promises to be exciting - Williams and McLaren have both vowed to be bold and radical... problem is that Ferrari have virtually re-defined "bold and radical" and have perfected the art of combining that with extreme reliability.

Jenson vs Jaques will be interesting. Jenson will have to find new strength to fight his corner in that team, since it is built around Jaques.

Montoya is getting there, I expect him to get the better of Ralf to an even greater degree.

Ditto Kimi over DC.

I wouldn't hold your breath for Toyota or Jaguar to get up there. Or BAR for that matter.

Renault are a wild card in my opinion - I read somewhere that they have a two design team system where a completely different team are brought in for the following year's car. They could make a big step.

Sauber are going backwards I think, and will do well to get 6th of so.

Jordan have big money worries, so unfortunately will find the going tough. Good engine though, if the Ford is definate and paid-for.

Rubens has got to hit that first race weekend hard to have any chance - if Schumacher gets ahead, he'll stay ahead.
Old 1 Nov 2002, 14:08 (Ref:419385)   #12
woodbine
Veteran

Australia
Peterborough
woodbine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I too am looking forward to next year. By that time most of my enthusiasm will have returned. I don't know how long it will last but the first race of the season always gets the pulse going.

As for predictions, Ferrari will win, McLaren will pip Williams, Minardi will spring a couple of surprises and Arrows will make a miraculous return and then finish in 11th place
Old 1 Nov 2002, 19:19 (Ref:419706)   #13
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Sato san
Ferrari cant stay on top for too long.....
With the actual organizations of top racing teams, it seems to me it will be similar of the Moto GP championships, with drivers dominating too much and with many titles in his pockets...
Ferrari surely will win both titles in 2003; I hope Williams, McLaren (and Renault?) could be more nearer than this year...
Old 1 Nov 2002, 21:17 (Ref:419781)   #14
alchemy
Racer

Ireland
Tranquillity Base
alchemy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Ferrari will be even more determined next year to be even more dominant. Seeing as they (Fiat) will be pulling the plug on the operation in 2006 (if not before) they are on a **** or bust campaign.

To fuel it even more, Ford’s umpteen million offer to Brawn has so far been rejected by him. "When I finish with Ferrari I’ll go fishing." Ross hinted. So in a way it’s both their swan songs. Watch those red cars go in 2003!

Better watch the bikes for any real racing!
Old 2 Nov 2002, 00:16 (Ref:419939)   #15
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The political battle between Jensen and Jacques might be funny if you like handbaggery. Of course with the new guys at Jaguar, if the car is any good, that might make interesting watching.
Old 2 Nov 2002, 00:25 (Ref:419943)   #16
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm not really looking forward to next year...
I haven't been looking forward to new seasons for quite some time now...
It's just not the same anymore without Ayrton...
Old 2 Nov 2002, 22:13 (Ref:420408)   #17
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by alchemy
Ferrari will be even more determined next year to be even more dominant. Seeing as they (Fiat) will be pulling the plug on the operation in 2006 (if not before) they are on a **** or bust campaign.

Don't you mean win or bust campaign?
Old 3 Nov 2002, 00:40 (Ref:420479)   #18
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know whether it's worth paying any money to see ( I have no idea what kind of drug the people that buy the F1 Digital service have been fed), but I'll watch to see how Cris does at Toyota and if BAR can improve at all with their new engineers.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 3 Nov 2002, 01:03 (Ref:420482)   #19
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I bought and viewed all the pay-per-view races...

And that BAR engineer that moved over from Williams claims that the BAR005 could even match the Williams...

They probably didn't learn about modesty after all those years...

Last edited by ASCII Man; 3 Nov 2002 at 01:05.
Old 8 Nov 2002, 12:57 (Ref:424557)   #20
Shoe-maker
Racer

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Shoe-maker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm looking forward to the 2003 season. I think that Michael Schumacher will win "only" nine races this time around. Aside from the new qualifying, Schumi v Rubens, Kimi v DC, Ralf v JPM should be the most interesting things of the new season.