Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 12 May 2008, 00:04 (Ref:2199613)   #26
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSbaby
That's disappointing to hear. I hope that's not true. No way is JC a better driver than Skaife, based on recent record. When I say record I actually mean returning the car without a scratch, not just podium finishes.
Well I might be able to return the car without a scratch. I'd be 40 laps down, but my plan of parking it on the outside of Turn 6 for the majority of the race, then starting her up on the last lap would probably get me to the chequered flag.

The fact is that Skaife drives for a team (if you include all four cars) that has won the last two championships and is first and second in the championship after four rounds.

Skaife sits 13th on the ladder - four places lower than James Courtney!!!!

There is no way on Earth you could convince me that SBR #4 is a better car than HRT #2!

Therefore, based on the first four rounds of this season - your theory has absolutely no credibility.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating Skaife's departure - I still think he offers a lot. But to say there is "no way" that Courtney is better than Skaife is a bit of a stretch (to say the least).
Old 12 May 2008, 00:37 (Ref:2199621)   #27
williamsf1
Veteran

williamsf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.213km
Probably - But what it does show, is that Crompton honestly believes his mate Skaife is being misrepresented by someone in the media. If Neil choses to use a few seconds worth of the telecast to stick up for his mate, then good on him. We all know Neil has his favourites, just listen to the way he says "lowndes" - but he's the best man for the job, a man close to most in the paddock. Good on him.

Crompo might be mates with Skaifeyyyyyyyy.... but surely you guys realize he is also co-manager of JC also????

I think you will find he was poo poo-ing the story for what it was... rubbish!
Old 12 May 2008, 02:20 (Ref:2199662)   #28
stoned pony
Veteran

Vanuatu
Chained to my desk
stoned pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
As it happens... I thought Mr Skaife did an outstanding job as a teev commentator, able to offer genuine insight from recent driving experience.

For some reason he is able to relate the particular technical activities of the team, car, engine, gearbox, tyres or whatever.. and make it sound plausible and informative

How about a Crompton/Skaife/Jones commentary team from '09?
I also thought Skaife did a top commentary job. But would you want him with "Why use three words when you can use 10" Crompton and whinging, whining Bradley? Don't think so.
I actually think Denyer to replace Matthew White woiuld be a good call because Denyer can present and also has technical knowledge.
Old 12 May 2008, 02:28 (Ref:2199665)   #29
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoned pony
I actually think Denyer to replace Matthew White woiuld be a good call because Denyer can present and also has technical knowledge.
Even though Denyer insists on "being funny"?

I'd rather have my eyes poked out with this computer...
Old 12 May 2008, 03:15 (Ref:2199679)   #31
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinJ
from the article it seems that young James is blowing his own trumpet

I would give the drive to PD over JC (he wrecks less cars)
I'm hoping neither of those two get a drive with HRT. Its safe to say that PD will never have a chance (thankfully) and JC should go back to Super GT. Skaife should stay in the driver's seat-that's all folks!!
Old 12 May 2008, 03:26 (Ref:2199686)   #32
motofan
Racer

motofan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
jc will go either hrt or chev in wtcc either way i think its almost 100% safe to say he wont be in a ford unless the rumours of triple 8 and fpr running 3 car teams next year are true :P which io think could well be the case
Old 12 May 2008, 03:46 (Ref:2199692)   #33
Racenut7
Veteran

Racenut7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe this:
HRT
#2 - Tander
#22 - T.Kelly

HSV
#15 - R.Kelly
#16 - Courtney

SBR
#4 - Dumbrell
#9 - Van Gisbergen
Old 12 May 2008, 04:02 (Ref:2199699)   #34
00 XR8
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
00 XR8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoned pony
I also thought Skaife did a top commentary job. But would you want him with "Why use three words when you can use 10" Crompton and whinging, whining Bradley? Don't think so.
Have you ever experienced a Panel Beaters episode where Crompton, Jones & Skaife are all on together? If there is a more entertaining and more knowledgeable triumvirate of V8Supercar experts in the universe....... I've never seen them.

It really is good stuff...... but I agree that it won't happen, because #7 will insist on a network 'personality' to host, just like #10 used to do with Woods, White, Rust, etc...

As far as Denyer goes, we can only hope that he accidentally gets trodden on by someone in the pitlane....... can't say I'm a fan of his 'me, me, me' stuff, nor his 'comedy'..... he even makes Mark Aiston seem funny.

The #7 pitlane team really needs a shake up after this year. What does Berreta add to the coverage? Seriously, very, very little. At least Gibson is trying hard, but he still appears to struggle for knowledge badly, which leads to awkward moments in interviews.

Ok, that was off-topic, but, in summary...... #7 should be chasing Skaife just as hard as any other V8Supercar 'team' for his services in 2009.
“Jamie, Jamie, Jamie. What you have to do is you have to say look; the fact of the matter is that I’m red hot, that Todd Kelly is a ******, I have always thought he was, and I was just mowing him down based on ability”. – Neil Crompton talking to Jamie Whincup, post Bathurst 2005.
Old 12 May 2008, 04:28 (Ref:2199710)   #35
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
SSbaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
Well I might be able to return the car without a scratch. I'd be 40 laps down, but my plan of parking it on the outside of Turn 6 for the majority of the race, then starting her up on the last lap would probably get me to the chequered flag.

The fact is that Skaife drives for a team (if you include all four cars) that has won the last two championships and is first and second in the championship after four rounds.

Skaife sits 13th on the ladder - four places lower than James Courtney!!!!

There is no way on Earth you could convince me that SBR #4 is a better car than HRT #2!

Therefore, based on the first four rounds of this season - your theory has absolutely no credibility.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating Skaife's departure - I still think he offers a lot. But to say there is "no way" that Courtney is better than Skaife is a bit of a stretch (to say the least).
Well 9th isn't much different to 13th... but Skaife could have been a lot closer to the leaders had he just bought some luck the past couple of rounds. His pace compared to his teammate's was virtually equal.

On that basis, he is a more reliable driver than JC who 't seems eager to go for the glory in favour of pacing himself for a strong finish. It's called maturity and Skaife has it over JC by a long stretch.
Old 12 May 2008, 04:35 (Ref:2199713)   #36
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Ford are happy to trade Courtney AND BPB for Holdsworth.
Old 12 May 2008, 04:40 (Ref:2199714)   #37
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
its a big difference actually SSBaby. the big diffence is we know how good the HRT car is, its leading the championship. But skaife is not even close to his teammate
Old 12 May 2008, 04:49 (Ref:2199719)   #38
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSbaby
It's called maturity and Skaife has it over JC by a long stretch.
I'm not sure I agree but in any case there is still a difference. JC will gain maturity but Skaife isn't gaining any more speed.

I still don't think Skaife is going anywhere but HRT next year.
Old 12 May 2008, 05:38 (Ref:2199734)   #39
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I used to like Courtney but have been pretty underwhelmed the past 2 years. Lots of talk, lots of bling, lots of hype, but nothing to show for it. When he was being amped up for his contract for next year, before this season barely got underway, I smell a quick sale on a rapidly rotting bill of goods.

Skaife, who personally I dislike, I have to say has been an accomplished driver over the years. As I recall he still has a stake in HRT(unless he was bought out and I failed to notice). I'd say he has earned the right to retire when he is good and ready. So he has a few bad races and people want to replace him with someone that hits nearly everything standing, probably soon to include the pace car?
Old 12 May 2008, 05:41 (Ref:2199736)   #40
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
SSbaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fair's fair guys.

Skaife is definitely among the top 10 best/quickest drivers in the field. Maybe he just needs to slow himself down and ease the pressure on himself. No doubt the team ownership drama has had an impact on his performances over the past few years.

The HRT Commodore might be the quickest but I don't see why Skaife can't be asked to play a supporting role to Tander.

In any case, Skaife is still younger than Ingall and IMO a more complete driver. Yet nobody is asking for Ingall to retire. The argument for Skaife to retire hardly seems warranted.Frosty is also showing Richards how to win, Whincup is always faster than Lowndes... all younger teammates, too.
Old 12 May 2008, 05:48 (Ref:2199743)   #41
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
how can you say thathe is in the top ten best/quickiest drivers when he is not in the top ten in the championship.

Ingall is on the both to retirement, he has stepped out of the top teams. Frosty and Whincups teams mates are not be totally trounced. both drivers are just two positiosn lower in the championship not 12 positions
Old 12 May 2008, 17:41 (Ref:2200312)   #42
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar
how can you say thathe is in the top ten best/quickiest drivers when he is not in the top ten in the championship.

Ingall is on the both to retirement, he has stepped out of the top teams. Frosty and Whincups teams mates are not be totally trounced. both drivers are just two positiosn lower in the championship not 12 positions
Just because someone isn't in a certain position in the championship, it doesn't mean they don't have speed.

Driving on equal lap times to the top guys means he IS one of the quickest, but it also means another aspect is lacking, finishing!

Sorta like claiming Whincup WASN'T one of the fastest at hamilton. its quite clear he was, but he didn't race.
Old 12 May 2008, 18:44 (Ref:2200366)   #43
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar
Ingall is on the both to retirement, he has stepped out of the top teams.
I've been impressed overall with how he's battled this year, despite the fact he is not in a top team.
Old 12 May 2008, 22:14 (Ref:2200537)   #44
yap
Racer

Australia
Gold Coast
yap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeks6
Ford are happy to trade Courtney AND BPB for Holdsworth.
Who is BPB ??
Old 12 May 2008, 22:17 (Ref:2200538)   #45
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
B-Pillar Basher
Steven Richards
Old 12 May 2008, 22:27 (Ref:2200555)   #46
yap
Racer

Australia
Gold Coast
yap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
B-Pillar Basher
Steven Richards
Lol

And yes agreed

Altho BPB did a great job of recovering from being last after the crash with Skaife to finish R2 in 9th
Old 13 May 2008, 02:25 (Ref:2200644)   #47
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Simon McNamaras egg farm.
billy bigtime has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
B-Pillar Basher
Steven Richards