Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Closed Thread

Old 15 Jun 2012, 20:57 (Ref:3091628)   #1676
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
are the NZST faster then V8's SC's? , if not, when..... would like to see them both race
Currently around a power circuit like Pukekohe the SC's would be faster. Around a twisty circuit the lighter weight and bigger torque would make the ST's faster.

Next year, when the SC's COTF comes in I would almost guarantee the ST's will be faster almost everywhere
Old 19 Jun 2012, 01:24 (Ref:3094504)   #1677
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
Currently around a power circuit like Pukekohe the SC's would be faster. Around a twisty circuit the lighter weight and bigger torque would make the ST's faster.
As a big Aussie V8 fan I can't escape the feeling that the NZ recipe is better, but they certainly have had some teething troubles.

At the end of the day I am not sure the much more expensive Aussie COTF will provide better racing than the Kiwi version.

Hoping I can tee up a work trip and see the V8ST in person...
Old 19 Jun 2012, 06:13 (Ref:3094571)   #1678
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
As a big Aussie V8 fan I can't escape the feeling that the NZ recipe is better, but they certainly have had some teething troubles.

At the end of the day I am not sure the much more expensive Aussie COTF will provide better racing than the Kiwi version.

Hoping I can tee up a work trip and see the V8ST in person...

Make sure you do Mixer, you'll be really happy with the overall 'feel' of the series, and the cars, although very different to a Supercar, are fantastic to watch and hear. They dont have that balls-out sound that the supercars do, but 7L of V8 grunt is a nice noise anyway. You'll also notice thay have more mid-corner speed and less body roll thru the corners, so they are more porsche-like in that regard. The new COTF for Australia is supposedly similar to a porsche to drive as well (according to frosty) so i'd say there may be some very similar handling capabilities of both series once your COTF comes in. The teething problems that have occured in the ST series have been made very public by ST themselves, which i think is great, but on top of that they have seemed to fix up most of these issues now, and have kept their fans in the loop the whole way thru. You may also be impressed by the quality of the teams themselves, much more akin to what you see in Oz.

On another note i would one day like to see the two classes racing together even if it was just a trans-tasman 'friendly' clash. I know that this probably wont happen, but it would be an interesting excercise nonetheless to see how different, or similar our ST is compared to COTF.

My understanding with the ST chassis is that it is a diluted version of the COTF, so at a glance they do look quite similar. However the fuel cells are rear mounted as opposed to mid-mounted, and we don't have the trans-axle technology and independant rear suspension that the COTF has.

Hope you can make it to NZ on a work trip and see it for yourselves. As i understand it 'speed' channel in Oz screens the races, so you may have seen some of the footage already. We have a pretty good TV package wrapped around the whole thing too, which is developing all the time.
Old 20 Jun 2012, 04:09 (Ref:3095240)   #1679
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some news off the V8ST website which sounds pretty cool

Unique format is brand new to New Zealand motorsport

The forthcoming FATHER'S DAY 400 at Taupo on the 1st and 2nd of September is set to break new ground in New Zealand with a unique qualifying format and back-to-back races on the Sunday, both featuring compulsory driver changes. It will also be V8 SuperTourer's biggest field to date, with 20 cars and 40 drivers scheduled to take part.

Testing on Saturday morning will comprise two one-hour sessions. In the first session either regular driver or the co-driver may drive the car, however, in the second session only the co-driver is permitted out on track. In the afternoon two qualifying sessions - one for each driver - will be run with a short 20 minute break in between.

Each driver must complete a qualifying session and times set by each will denote the team's starting position for the two races on Sunday. In the races themselves, each driver must start a race before a compulsory driver swap between laps 30 and 40 occurs. Both races will be in excess of 200-km and the teams can decide how much of that distance each driver completes within the defined 10 lap pit window. Whilst teams may change wheels, no refuelling is permitted.

"This will be a format that will give the public a chance to see both drivers in action in the car, and one which will put pressure on both drivers to put in a good qualifying lap," explained series Managing Director Mark Petch."It all adds to the excitement and the show and puts an emphasis on teams to make sure their co-drivers are prepared and competitive and not out there just to play a minor role.

"Both drivers must start a race in their respective qualifying position, adding further to the excitement - plus, of course, there is the compulsory driver change, which is always one of the focal points of an endurance race. There are lots of new strategies for the teams and drivers to get their heads around, but one thing is for certain -there is going to be a huge amount of track time for the V8 SuperTourer cars and drivers and what true petrol head Dad and his family wouldn't just love that!"

The event will be one of the most significant on the Taupo calendar and as circuit CEO Geoff Langham explained: "The Father's Day 400 will have a much broader appeal both in and outside of the Taupo area for families and race fans especially with the unique and exciting new format," he commented.

"This means people can pick and choose the parts they want to watch. It means fans and families can come and go to enjoy everything a holiday resort such as Taupo has to offer such as day spas, shopping, dining, adventure tourist attractions and hot pools.

"We're going to have so much going on around the whole event it will be like a festival weekend, and with Johnny Mac being based at the track we expect - and need - plenty of local interest and support. Outside of Taupo, we regularly see enthusiasts and families at the circuit from Tauranga, Hawkes Bay, Hamilton, Wanganui and even Palmerston North and the Father's Day 400 is an event which will definitely appeal to all of those fans.

"We've seen some spectacular racing so far in V8 SuperTourers and that will undoubtedly continue at the beginning of September at Taupo with the added excitement of pit stops, team tactics and driver changes - all of which make the whole race exciting and can change the dynamics in minutes if not seconds."

Early Bird tickets will go on sale on Eventfinder this week with weekend passes starting at just $30. Organisers will also offer a GA upgrade along the bank on the back straight so that fans can watch from their cars. Under 12s, as at all V8 SuperTourer events, will be free.

With the family emphasis, hot lap competitions will run throughout the build-up on local and regional radio and on the V8 SuperTourer Facebook site encouraging families to treat Dad with a day out at the V8s on Father's Day.
Old 20 Jun 2012, 10:41 (Ref:3095353)   #1680
Blackpearl
Racer

Blackpearl is a back marker
The fuel tanks are 120 litres? I am guessing on track layout 3.3 km track.

Will they actually be able to do that distance? 200km will be pushing it would it not?
Old 21 Jun 2012, 04:40 (Ref:3095740)   #1681
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpearl View Post
The fuel tanks are 120 litres? I am guessing on track layout 3.3 km track.

Will they actually be able to do that distance? 200km will be pushing it would it not?
You would have to assume the V8ST people know what they're doing, but I think you might be right if the tanks are 120 litres. They use about 2 litres per lap at HD, and Taupo is longer isn't it. A 200km race is about 60 laps there, and I reckon they will use 2.4 litres per lap.

That means a tank full would get about 50 laps, so are we missing something?
Old 21 Jun 2012, 05:01 (Ref:3095743)   #1682
harcey
Racer

harcey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by on_to_it View Post
You would have to assume the V8ST people know what they're doing, but I think you might be right if the tanks are 120 litres. They use about 2 litres per lap at HD, and Taupo is longer isn't it. A 200km race is about 60 laps there, and I reckon they will use 2.4 litres per lap.

That means a tank full would get about 50 laps, so are we missing something?
approx 1.8 litres per lap at taupo and 60 laps expected to be ok..
a little birdy tells me the JMR cars were running + 1.30 sec laps yesterday with 3x of their drivers.

Last edited by harcey; 21 Jun 2012 at 05:07.
Old 21 Jun 2012, 05:25 (Ref:3095744)   #1683
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by harcey View Post
approx 1.8 litres per lap at taupo and 60 laps expected to be ok..
a little birdy tells me the JMR cars were running + 1.30 sec laps yesterday with 3x of their drivers.
You sound confident. They must be getting better mileage now because the prototype was using about two litres per lap testing at HD. Like I said, they should know what they're doing eh?

So what were their times?
Old 21 Jun 2012, 05:33 (Ref:3095746)   #1684
harcey
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by on_to_it View Post
You sound confident. They must be getting better mileage now because the prototype was using about two litres per lap testing at HD. Like I said, they should know what they're doing eh?

So what were their times?
i was told high 1.30's low 1.31s........
i believe the fuel burn at H/d ended up around 1.6lt per lap ...i am sure someone from one of the teams can confirm that if they are allowed to.
Old 21 Jun 2012, 09:48 (Ref:3095848)   #1685
KLR93
Rookie

New Zealand
Whangarei
KLR93 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Am i missing something here or is refueling banned? there is after all a compulsory driver change..
Old 21 Jun 2012, 09:53 (Ref:3095852)   #1686
DX20VT
Racer

DX20VT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post
Whilst teams may change wheels, no refuelling is permitted.
Apparntly it is.
Old 22 Jun 2012, 07:35 (Ref:3096255)   #1687
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Icarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridIcarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
See post 1679 (previous page) paragraph 3
Old 23 Jun 2012, 05:00 (Ref:3096652)   #1688
KLR93
Rookie

New Zealand
Whangarei
KLR93 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting! Obviously they must have calculated it properly, one would imagine..
Old 23 Jun 2012, 05:27 (Ref:3096656)   #1689
BackSeat Driver
Racer

BackSeat Driver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps they will just re-map the engine to not rev above 5,000 rpm.
Old 25 Jun 2012, 19:50 (Ref:3097985)   #1690
kiwiracer
Rookie

kiwiracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post
oh thats not good. Hope it doesn't affect the series too much. I hope things are all ok in the ST camp??

http://www.speedcafe.com/2012/06/26/...agement-roles/

Looks like everything is in good hands as usual. A great move I feel. V8ST are full or surprises .....
Old 25 Jun 2012, 21:54 (Ref:3098083)   #1691
adbutler
Racer

New Zealand
Waikuku Beach, Canterbury, NZ
adbutler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiracer View Post
http://www.speedcafe.com/2012/06/26/...agement-roles/

Looks like everything is in good hands as usual. A great move I feel. V8ST are full or surprises .....
totally agree. showing the muppets over at motorsport nz how to run a series.
Old 26 Jun 2012, 00:15 (Ref:3098139)   #1692
flyingduck
Veteran

flyingduck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Got to ask for the pitstops do they have rules around how many people are allowed to work on the cars and do they have any limits on number of rattle guns or any other equipment.

I only had a quick look at the rules and could only see the pitstop rules which are in place for the sprint rounds.
Old 26 Jun 2012, 00:56 (Ref:3098148)   #1693
BackSeat Driver
Racer

BackSeat Driver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where did you find the 'Rules' ? I would be very keen to look thru them.

A link perhaps?
Old 26 Jun 2012, 01:36 (Ref:3098157)   #1694
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingduck View Post
Got to ask for the pitstops do they have rules around how many people are allowed to work on the cars and do they have any limits on number of rattle guns or any other equipment.

I only had a quick look at the rules and could only see the pitstop rules which are in place for the sprint rounds.
Maximum Pit Stop Crew – each pit stop (whether the Mandatory Timed Pit Stop or not) may only be carried out by a maximum of four (4) Pit Stop Crew. The procedures and requirements to be followed by all Pit Stop Crew will be notified by V8ST by written notice to Entrants not later than 14 days prior to the first Endurance Race of a Series. For the purposes of this Article, the Team Member directing the Driver to stop and go with the use of a pit stop/go indicator shall be regarded as one member of the Pit Stop Crew and:
(a) the fire-extinguisher-operator; and
(b) the Driver who has stepped-out of the Car and assists the replacement Driver to fasten his seat belts;
shall not be regarded as members of the Pit Stop Crew.

This may have been updated recently, not sure.
Old 28 Jun 2012, 06:13 (Ref:3099255)   #1695
harcey
Racer

a little birdy tells me that V8ST team leaders 51% shareholding is up for sale and certain very wealthy persons have been approached re purchase.........
interesting......very!!
Old 28 Jun 2012, 07:51 (Ref:3099280)   #1696
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
a little birdy tells me that V8ST team leaders 51% shareholding is up for sale and certain very wealthy persons have been approached re purchase.........
interesting......very!!
Kim Dotcom..??
Old 28 Jun 2012, 08:58 (Ref:3099309)   #1697
kiwiracer
Rookie

kiwiracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
Kim Dotcom..??
51% of What?
Old 28 Jun 2012, 10:20 (Ref:3099337)   #1698
Blackpearl
Racer

Blackpearl is a back marker
Define team leaders as the share holdings are easily open to anyone.
Old 28 Jun 2012, 10:31 (Ref:3099345)   #1699
harcey
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpearl View Post
Define team leaders as the share holdings are easily open to anyone.
i believe MP owns 51%.............................if he bails out this early then it opens up many scenarios....yes
Old 28 Jun 2012, 10:39 (Ref:3099349)   #1700
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
i believe MP owns 51%.............................if he bails out this early then it opens up many scenarios....yes
Don't tell me Martin Fine is buying it...