Mattiacci gone!

No big surprise....

http://www.espn.co.uk/ferrari/motors...ry/185685.html
Old 24 Nov 2014, 12:26 (Ref:3478191)   #2
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
No Wins
Best driver gone
New driver brought in at huge expense, who has just been comprehensively outperformed by his teammate.
Raikonnen has never got a handle on the car, but is contracted for another season.
Axing of two team principals within a season
Limitied scope to improve their underpowered engine

It's not looking good.
Old 24 Nov 2014, 12:41 (Ref:3478194)   #3
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmmmm....the fall of the Roman empire for the second time. I liked Mattiaccii. I thought he was bringing in new fresh ideas and structure. Results don't happen over night.
Old 24 Nov 2014, 12:44 (Ref:3478196)   #4
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Well, it is a surprise. You'd think they'd have learnt from the dizzying team boss merry-go round that hammered the team around the early 90's. And you can't expect a new guy to arrive and whip a chaotic team into shape with one tap of the magic hat. That stuff takes time. That said I always suspected this guy was a stop gap because they just couldn't find anyone suitable to take on the task.
Old 24 Nov 2014, 12:51 (Ref:3478199)   #5
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
He was a stop gap, till Brawn returns....
Old 24 Nov 2014, 13:05 (Ref:3478201)   #6
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
maybe they should be tapping up the caterham administrator to see if he fancies a go next
Old 24 Nov 2014, 13:33 (Ref:3478212)   #7
JacobP
Racer

JacobP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am ****ed off. Just when we learn how to spell the new principal's name, they fired him again.
Old 24 Nov 2014, 13:44 (Ref:3478216)   #8
doug911
Racer

United Kingdom
York
doug911 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
He was a stop gap, till Brawn returns....
With a UK engineering base??
Old 24 Nov 2014, 13:58 (Ref:3478217)   #9
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobP View Post
I am ****ed off. Just when we learn how to spell the new principal's name, they fired him again.
Lol.

Imo this choice only makes sense in so much that it appeals to the sponsors, namely Philip Morris, who must be at this point questioning their involvement in the sport...I mean if F1 doesn't care about young people then what's the point of spending many millions on subliminal and coded messages to convince young people to start smoking when young people are not even watching?
Old 24 Nov 2014, 14:04 (Ref:3478218)   #10
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
see, at this point you have to have a fairly long memory/be of a certain age to even remember cigarette sponsorship in f1 and associate philip morris with ferrari. i would imagine to some of the younger fans in their early to mid 20s it comes as a shock to see ferraris on marlboro boards in monaco during the gp for example.
Old 24 Nov 2014, 14:24 (Ref:3478225)   #11
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Is this the start of a new revolving door program at Ferrari. How log before a former world champion is shown the door?
Old 24 Nov 2014, 14:48 (Ref:3478237)   #12
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
maybe they should be tapping up the caterham administrator to see if he fancies a go next
Top job by Mr O'Connell to source engines, gearboxes, freight, airfares, tyres, technogumbies, drivers and the money to pay for it all!

He might be more useful in his smaller team, his resourcefulness keeping the team on the road, than a billion dollar juggernaut with more managers and bosses and staff that you could ever meet & get to know in a lifetime!

The Ferrari change is not a surprise... the rubbish around Mr Alonso's exit has been amateur hour... and it seems a substantial break fee was paid by Ferrari too... with the new fella earning more than the bloke they replaced

The payout could likely have run Caterham for a whole year
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 24 Nov 2014, 17:29 (Ref:3478275)   #13
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
see, at this point you have to have a fairly long memory/be of a certain age to even remember cigarette sponsorship in f1 and associate philip morris with ferrari.
yeah it really is staggering how quickly smoking became marginalized in western life and culture but also still shocking just how pervasive it is.

im still perplexed by how they have turned there F1 advertising platform into direct sales to children every time i see Ferrari LEGO kits or when i look on their website and see how much stuff in Marlboro livery they sell for kids.

unknown how much of this Arrivabene is responsible for this but evil genius springs to mind
Old 24 Nov 2014, 23:10 (Ref:3478409)   #14
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
"... we need a person with a thorough understanding not just of Ferrari but also of the governance mechanisms and requirements of the sport ..."

Shame they didn't think of that in April when they thought they needed a car salesman from that place where they think whizzing round in giddy circles is motor racing.

But not to worry; I enjoy Ferrari when they're at their Keystone Cops best.
Old 25 Nov 2014, 00:52 (Ref:3478424)   #15
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
They really needed to bring Stefano Dominecali back, he may be able to do a half decent job without Monte De Gorgenzola running interference.

Quite what they are thinking replacing a car salesman with a tobacconist, who knows.

What Vettel was thinking when he signed for Ferrari, I just don't know!
Old 25 Nov 2014, 01:35 (Ref:3478433)   #16
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suspect he knows something that we don't ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Old 25 Nov 2014, 01:59 (Ref:3478435)   #17
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
This thread needs a theme song.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWqKPWO5T4o
Old 25 Nov 2014, 02:21 (Ref:3478438)   #18
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJUhlRoBL8M
Old 25 Nov 2014, 03:55 (Ref:3478452)   #19
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Is this the start of a new revolving door program at Ferrari. How long before a former world champion is shown the door?
Hmmmm....Vettel hasn't technically arrived in through that door yet.
Old 25 Nov 2014, 04:05 (Ref:3478453)   #20
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
How about Adele....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCya1yiFFP4
Old 25 Nov 2014, 08:25 (Ref:3478493)   #21
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
Just checked this link out and got a Toyota advert!
Old 25 Nov 2014, 09:08 (Ref:3478514)   #22
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Vettel is trying to replicate what Schumacher did. Fair play, he could have stuck with Red Bull which would have been the easy choice.

Only time will tell if this is a Hamilton to Mercedes or a Schumacher to Ferrari decision, or alternatively a Villeneuve to BAR decision...
Old 25 Nov 2014, 09:55 (Ref:3478523)   #23
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
Or Keystone Cops - seems about right just now: http://youtu.be/_evKyDulkDA
Old 25 Nov 2014, 10:00 (Ref:3478526)   #24
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Vettel is trying to replicate what Schumacher did. Fair play, he could have stuck with Red Bull which would have been the easy choice.

Only time will tell if this is a Hamilton to Mercedes or a Schumacher to Ferrari decision, or alternatively a Villeneuve to BAR decision...
Agree, right not it's easy to think that Ferrari are slipping back into their pre-Schumi/Brawn/Todt/Byrne malaise and running faster and faster with one foot nailed to the floor.

However, it may just be that Arrivabene/Vettel/Key deliver the goods. Sometimes you've got to go through a few combinations to hit on the sweet spot.

Can't help feeling that Luca moving on MAY just ease some of the posturing and political stuff.

Let's see - whichever way it goes, it's likely to be entertaining!

Last edited by Tourer; 25 Nov 2014 at 10:06.
Old 25 Nov 2014, 10:02 (Ref:3478528)   #25
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Good Italian food.

Quote:
Quite what they are thinking replacing a car salesman with a tobacconist, who knows.
Nope, can't answer that one.

Last edited by Born Racer; 25 Nov 2014 at 10:08.