Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 20 Mar 2010, 19:02 (Ref:2656756)   #626
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the carbs would be the thing if they were needed to get into a particular class (Historic or something) But as that is not the case the Jenveys and a management system of some sort would be the way to go. Lotsa dough I know, but I would say money well spent. If it was for some old rough thing, dont spend the money, but that is a nice car and worth spending the money on (in my opinion). I know its easy to spend other peoples money, but I think you should at least be aiming in the Jenvey direction.
Old 20 Mar 2010, 22:03 (Ref:2656859)   #627
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have stock Bosch ecu on my 1985 engined 911 and it is simply superb.
Difficult to engineer to this engine as I would not want 'visible' MAF meter.

MAP on the Jenveys with (say) a DTA ecu and the engine would be great I'm sure. Would need high pressure pump and lines, but have the return to tank already .
Getting the crank sensor (etc) onto the engine is a fiddle.

I had mapable ecu on my hot Impreza and with the right person doing the map it was solid as a rock and more.

Another £3K
Body Another 3K min

I'm not at all sure this car is worth spending much more on to be honest.

Ex Time Attack Impreza's are going for silly money now, saw one today that cost sub £10K, 400 bhp and went like stink. however, tin tops are in my history now, but it is a sanity check.

Lot of car for little £.

Entered the Midland Championship tonight and entered the first 2 events, so off we go!

Back to those webers: would be great to rescue the duff one with a little DIY and a few £?
Old 22 Mar 2010, 17:41 (Ref:2657960)   #628
ASDS
Rookie

ASDS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911thillclimber View Post
I've been told of a gent called Ian Hall from Bristol who has a mould for a 'glass Karmann Ghia body. Anyone know of this man please so I can contact him?
It is most probably the Ian Hall who races a Darrian-Rover V8 at Castle Combe. Not sure which of the two Bristol motor clubs he is a member of (Bristol or Bristol Pegasus).
Old 22 Mar 2010, 22:21 (Ref:2658224)   #629
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks for the tip. Will see if I can dig a bit deeper.

Will have a pop at the gear shift lever ratio this week to get more travel and put the H pattern issues to bed once and for all.

Close to getting ready to drive the thing!
Old 26 Mar 2010, 17:02 (Ref:2660524)   #630
911thillclimber
Veteran

While the kids were at school, the housewives sitting with their feet up etc I decided to start the Lola from cold to see how it fares...

I would appreciate some tips on starting a big 911 on webers from cold.

I used to use 2 prods of the pedal and churn over, just catching the first glimmers of a fire. Any advances on this?

Anyway it eventually fired after a few pops and after a little tickle of the carbs it settled to a steady tick-over of about 1000 rpm.

After a few mins...no bangs.
After 5 more ...silence, just the steady purrrr
After 15 as above!

A few healthy blips and still all is good. Not a pop in the ears at all.

Spurred-on by this landmark, I polished the body for some bling and sorted a few bits.

Down to small items to improve on.

Spurred-on some more, and sat in the thing, pressed the re-engineered clutch system comfortably down and the gear snicked into all 4 without a bulk or a crunch. Test drove each gear all of 12'' along the garage, but this IS progress!

Time will tell if this all hangs together at Prescott in a few weeks time.

Old 26 Mar 2010, 17:36 (Ref:2660540)   #631
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Y'kno, one of your difficulties is going to be driving the thing well. A bit cautious and people will think you are slow, too quick and chuck it into a wall and people will think you're an eejit. This has been a wonderful thread but like it or not, peoples expectations rise as they read it, and that will put pressure on you. 'I think' you will have to put some thought into how brave you want to be. How close to your limits you want to go.
Old 26 Mar 2010, 18:51 (Ref:2660583)   #632
911thillclimber
Veteran

I think you have some good points there!

My racing on the hills started in my cooking 911 in '91 and i drove it for years with 3 bigger engines until I tried a 370 bhp Impreza. You should have seen the thread on that one! (bigger than this one...)

I took Chanpionship class wins and even hold a hill class record. Those cars are very fast but also very flattering to an average Joe like me.

Did a year of the 911 again and went much faster while i did this Lola.

I had never sat in an open car let alone driven one, or used a full-face helmet....last year was very hard and very dis-couraging. If Driftwood had offered a bob or two over the £6000 he might have got it!

I hope i am more determined that that, but i like the build more than the drive, and always have.

I am too old now to worry about ego and performance in the eyes of others. Several people i know want a dual drive in the car (no chance) because they love the thing so i feel it is basically a good potential car, but realising that potential will be bloody hard for me.

If some feel I am lacking with this car, then i would challenge them to find and build something like this and then screw the best from it! It is not that easy.

At least now the engine works well enough, the car looks straight enough, and i have 4 gears (5th is too tall and murder to find).

I hope I can get back to the fun i had in the 911 which i still have and will hillclimb at a few special to me venues esp Barbon Manor.

I also know that if the body was closed i would be much happier, hence all the body discussion. Back to my comfort zone.

I know Driftwood and a few others will possibly derride my 'attitude' but I am relaxed about it and not bothered about class position in 2010.

Could be different in 2011 though!

911 fun: It is at this point you let the steering wheel go and plant the throttle hard. It then comes back straight. i was heading towards a gulley about 20 feet deep at this moment.

Old 26 Mar 2010, 22:28 (Ref:2660716)   #633
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=911thillclimber;2660583]I think you have some good points there!

I hope i am more determined that that, but i like the build more than the drive, and always have.

I am too old now to worry about ego and performance in the eyes of others. Several people i know want a dual drive in the car (no chance) because they love the thing so i feel it is basically a good potential car, but realising that potential will be bloody hard for me.

If some feel I am lacking with this car, then i would challenge them to find and build something like this and then screw the best from it! It is not that easy.

I know Driftwood and a few others will possibly derride my 'attitude' but I am relaxed about it and not bothered about class position in 2010.

Hillclimber - I've been following this thread with interest for a couple of years now (or since it began) and would say you must discount any hint your performance may be lacking. I've been around the circuits for far too long (and the hills even before that) and it's how you feel you have done which is the important thing - not the result sheet. There can only be one race, class or hillclimb winner and it would be a poor sport if only those with a chance of winning were to enter events. It's the many 'also rans' who turn up week in -week out that ensure events get held at all and give the more competitive/skilful ones the chance to win. It's far too easy to stand on the outside and critisice the performance of those who venture to the inside.

Keep building 'em and running 'em and keep on entertaining us.
Old 26 Mar 2010, 22:42 (Ref:2660725)   #634
911thillclimber
Veteran

Certainly a weekend of hillclimbing is relaxing and Very Good Fun esp when you know everyone.
You are dead right though, being part of it is great, and racing at Shelsley Walsh for example with all it's 100+ years of history is very atmospheric.

Hope to be there in 5 weeks time in the Lola.

It has been coming up to 2 years now. What an adventure, full of Soap Saga!
I'm sure I'm not alone in this kind of home garage struggle.

I'll keep posting as long as I feel I'm not too boring

May 2008. Sweet innocence.....

Last edited by 911thillclimber; 26 Mar 2010 at 22:50.
Old 28 Mar 2010, 17:51 (Ref:2661958)   #635
911thillclimber
Veteran

Went to watch the historics at Silverstone today, great day out and some superb races.
A friend was racing his B8 and Sean from Mc Clurg Preparation was racing too in Nick's Merlin.

Had the chance to sit in the B8 ... certainly fitted me well!

The purpose was to 'feel' what such a closed car would be like, and it did feel good to me.

Having taken a 1000 dimensions off the roof/screen it is interesting that moulding is a separate piece with screen surround and dash panel, and the lexan screen are all available as spares.
I think Sean said he knew where to get them from, but while I'm here, anyone know who sells the roof/surround/screen and by a chance of a miracle, who might have a 'duff' one that I could buy and try?

Tall order, but you never know...

I think there is every chance of adding the panel to the existing body I have with a new roll-cage to suit.

It will give me something to do while waiting for the first race in late April.

Mrs Hillclimber said today I could have a new set of carbs! Gulp...carbs from the USA or Jenvy injection ???? The simple solution or the complex solution though better in the long run..????
Old 28 Mar 2010, 20:39 (Ref:2662160)   #636
SAMD
Veteran

What are the chances of getting your own duff one to work? Surely it is repairable, if so it would give you time to set up a Jenvy system.
Old 28 Mar 2010, 21:22 (Ref:2662192)   #637
911thillclimber
Veteran

Air will pass the idle circuit, but not fuel. Prob the drilled passages.

Trick is to simply drill them out, drill through the lead plugs and down the holes to remove corrosion.
Not for the faint hearted as the drillings are small and very long. I am sure I can do this at work.

If I screw this up, then a PMO set it is.

After drilling you drill and tap each passage and plug with a small grubscrew with Loctite. Not a big deal.

However:

The 40's are a bit small for the big 3200cc engine and 46mm carbs are much better wioth 36mm chokes holding a high venturi effect on the engine induction giving torque and power, about 260 bhp and 240 lbft, possiblt more with the large primary pipe headers I've built and on the car now.

That will be about 510 bhp/ton...not for the faint hearted which I might be!

At £3,000 a pair, there is cause to think and try some things. The rolling road os a £250 trip every time I try something.

This is the roof I'm thinking of:

Last edited by chunterer; 29 Mar 2010 at 17:12. Reason: removal of off topic passage see pm pls
Old 31 Mar 2010, 05:40 (Ref:2663953)   #638
911thillclimber
Veteran

So, after a few quick measurements last night the Chevron roof/screen panel is a near perfect fit.

The Lola's roll hoop is the right height so could be kept, the base of the 'A' pillar is right to the tub and fits the side pod height of the Lola front clam.
The peak of the screen fits too and I think the rollcage front braces would follow the A pillar down to the original Lola fixing points, just like when the Karmann Ghia shell was fitted by John and Tony.

The Lola side pods can become doors for access, and prob do not need side screens for a hill climb 40 second run.

Prices from Chevron are about £350 for the moulding, a huge £560 for a Lexan screen (!) so simple perspex will do!

This is all very doable, so will sketch it all out much more carefully to check.

Secondly, I have managed to source a pair of PMO 46mm tripple choke carbs from a Porsche club member at a good price. Plan is to change carbs after Shelsley Walsh in early may and get back to Hi-Tech to tune finally.

This is get everything in order, a bit more bhp but easy start, no corrosion inside, spares easy to get etc and are a direct bolt on.

I need to take the current 46mm to 36mm manifolds and blend the 36 to 40 to match the head port diameter, but that's no big deal with a die grinder and burr.

While i wait endlessly for the first race I've bought some brasso to polish the tub and surrounding areas

Old 31 Mar 2010, 07:22 (Ref:2663982)   #639
SAMD
Veteran

Just while you are on the subject, does ultrasonic cleaning not clean those small holes/tubes?
Your new carbs sound the business.

I'm not sure about the roof (personal opinion) I just cant get the right image in my head.
Old 31 Mar 2010, 11:41 (Ref:2664108)   #640
911thillclimber
Veteran

My present carbs were US cleaned before i had them Scrubbs them well but will not always break-down and dislodge the corrosion associated with Zinc alloy.
It is why a possible solution is to drill out the seals and drill the passageways as a repair. Then back to the rollers and a £250 bill to find if they are good or not, and if not...another session etc.

I'm fed-up messing about on these so happy to invest the money in the newer carbs. The deal is cash plus my current carbs, condition well understood.

I also get to 46mm chokes, far better for the 3200cc engine.

I will sketch the roof to the Lola body to convince myself too!
The work to do it is considerable, but i get very bored quickly!

I also have my 911 to re-restore and the Lambretta

Last edited by 911thillclimber; 31 Mar 2010 at 12:02.
Old 31 Mar 2010, 12:41 (Ref:2664137)   #641
haggispeed
Racer

United Kingdom
near Oulton Park
haggispeed has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Glad you've found another set of carbs, looks like it's the way to go.
Have you got any testing planned ?
Think I have to disagree with the idea of putting a roof on the existing body, even if it is a Chevron just don't think it will look right. You'll soon get used to driving with no roof around you, and no misting up problems either.

I finally got my car ready for the first meeting this past weekend at Oulton, apart from using some very old tyres which were too hard it went reasonably well, also hadn't driven it in 18 months so took a couple of sessions to get back into the groove.
Looking forward to Croft in 3 weeks now with some nice new sticky slicks and corrected corner weights.
Old 31 Mar 2010, 15:46 (Ref:2664239)   #642
911thillclimber
Veteran

That sounds good Tony!
The cost of the carbs was 1/2 the new cost (part ex'd my webers + cash) so the money 'saved' will pay for the £1023 worth of cross-ply slicks

I too will kick-off on the rubbish track tyres I have which are truely evil.
With the delay in paying for the carb to May, I stand a chance after this (brownie point ) weekend of getting the fresh hillclimb compound tyres...
maybe!

As to the roof. Contrary to Driftwood's perception of me, getting wet is not so bad for me, but I'm not so sure I like being out in the open sitting on top of this thing, and the few mins sitting in the B8 above at Silverstone really was comfortable, or was that because it is an exquisitly prepped Chevron?

As you say, I will get used to it and I only sit/lay in it for about 50 seconds on a full run!

Any run at the body will be in Oct 2010 at the earliest, so time to think.
Old 4 Apr 2010, 16:26 (Ref:2666677)   #643
911thillclimber
Veteran

Getting bored waiting for Prescott hillclimb to come round.
Treated Mrs Hillclimber with a car-free long weekend in the New Forrest this easter and bumped into a flash restaurant called Driftwood...

Hillclimbing is something you like or dismiss, and value for money must be one of the worst forms of motorsport, but i like the relaxed atmosphere and the need to deliver everything in the best of 2 shots.

Besides, there is nowhere to race this Lola and I will never pass the ARDS thing/ test, so that's that. I've see a pack of S2000 storming around Olton a few years ago and 6 cars aiming for the same apex is not a pretty sight about 50 yards later.

If the body/car gets a roof it will be from Oct on, and just to irritate more I now have the umberella stashed away in the car.
Waiting to come back down the hill for 30 mins = bloody wet. For the day.

Need to think about a fresh set of slicks for the car after the PMO's are on and set-up.
Old 5 Apr 2010, 07:36 (Ref:2666932)   #644
SAMD
Veteran

So.. does that mean the quest is on to find a 30min race (with a driver change) that the Lola is elligible for? and how to get a Race licence without a Medical?
Old 5 Apr 2010, 09:25 (Ref:2666981)   #645
driftwood
Veteran

driftwood has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
1 does that mean yr tsking me out to a flash restuarant?
2 if you cant pass the ards test send your licence back to DVLA your not fot for the road!
3 lola porsche can race in brscc sports car races
4 keep the car as it is dont spend more $ fitting a roof onto it i willnot increase my £6k offer !
5 yes im back dunno for how long already being picked on
seems there are 2 things they dont lke anything i say and anythng i do!
Old 5 Apr 2010, 10:55 (Ref:2667033)   #646
911thillclimber
Veteran

Sam:

The whole race track thing is nice to go and see, but not at all ready for the effort.

It is great to go and support Sean and Nick in the B8/Merlin but the effort and costs are too high to be honest.

As a sufferer of high blood pressure, now well in control and the MSA happy with my prescription then I think the ARDS is not too bad but I have zero race craft experience. I would be a nusience (sp) on the run from the pit road let alone at a pace in the first bend or as a weaving back-marker 'racing' for 16th or 15th in the pack.....

As i have now polished the tub to a semi sparkle I'm done for, and that is it's treat for 2010!

Body back on, a few racer period stickers to add to break-up the red mass and I'm going to make a card mock-up of the Chevron roof, wheel it out and see what I and you lot think.
Old 6 Apr 2010, 13:10 (Ref:2667629)   #647
SAMD
Veteran

Well you have a valid point. There are a lot of costs and effort needed and for what at the end of the day? Even if you win the FF championship, so...!
I decided to go the Historic route and just do a selected 2 or maybe 3 events each year. One 'big' event and a couple of local ones will, I think, suit me well although No Licence yet this year since I damaged my leg. You have gone the Hillclimb route. I never considered it as I always thought it too dangerous. Sprints yes, Hills no. Too many stone walls.
Old 7 Apr 2010, 06:17 (Ref:2668047)   #648
911thillclimber
Veteran

And Armco and then the trees....I have had a very abrupt meeting with a old tree that jumped out into my path on track at the top of Shelsley Walsh, smacked the 911 in the NSF corner shortenting the car by just over and inch in the floor pan. I swear the tree jumped back!
Took 13 tons to pull it out on the jig.

Mind you I was driving like a prat and paid the price.

It is the trees that frighten so much and they can be VERY close to you. Stage rallies are even worse i think.

A hillclimb is run on Epynt stages in Wales, and this is very very fast even in my lardy 911, but take a good Impreza up there and it is heaven sent, just amazing to run. Spooky place mind, you can still hear Roger Clark in the MkII i swear. Charismatic place.

come off and you feel as if you would be off to heaven!

At least trees are relativly stationary and very predicable: 6 other fighting angry drivers in loose control of race cars inches away scares the hell out of me!
Old 8 Apr 2010, 11:46 (Ref:2668781)   #649
911thillclimber
Veteran

A question for some of you please:

Anyone have a Left Hand Drive Mk1 Escort steering rack?

The rack on the Lola gives a very large turning circle, and this is set by the racing rack on the car. I know there is room for another 10 degrees which would make quite a difference.
Old 8 Apr 2010, 11:51 (Ref:2668784)   #650
haggispeed
Racer

United Kingdom
near Oulton Park
haggispeed has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
how much lock do you have lock to lock Graham ? If it's a racing rack will an Escort rack fit and give you any improvement ?