gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
watching Carpenter fight and those last few laps-spectacular
Indy racing should be like that all the time
Old 2 Aug 2009, 16:10 (Ref:2514026)   #27
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree....best race of the year.....Bruce Martin covered all the angles......

http://www.versus.com/nw/article/vie...uce_martin.tpl
Old 2 Aug 2009, 18:54 (Ref:2514110)   #28
DanicaFan
Veteran

United States
Stuckeyville
DanicaFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I got back around 4am this morning from Kentucky. What a weekend. I wasnt sure at first if they would even run the race. All day Friday was nice but the track had a lot of weepers on it from the 2 previous days of hard rain. So they were drying the track all day. So there was absolutely no cars on the track for Friday so qualifications were done by points. Frustrating is the word when its nice all day and you cant get any cars on the track. So it was a long day. But hey, I got to see and talk to Danica and her pit crew and her dad, so the day wasnt all ruined.

As for Saturday, we arrived and the dryers were still on the track. They had been drying the track until 1am that morning and started again at 7am Saturday. There was a brief rain about 1:30 so that had me worried. But finally around 3:30pm, the Firestone Indy Lights practiced, then at 4:15, the IndyCar Series practiced until 5:30. The Indy Lights race was after the IndyCar practice and the IndyCar race started at 8:30pm. Only about a half hour late, so not bad considering how it looked.

The race itself was great. Lots of passing and side-by-side racing. Danica finished 8th. I was so hoping Ed Carpenter could of won this race. He came so close, lost by only something like 16/1000 of a second. Great job by Ed. Nothing against Ryan, I like him but it would of been nice to see Ed have won. The whole crowd was cheering for Ed Carpenter too. Pretty cool.

Here is a picture of me and Danica just outside her garage. I got to speak with her for awhile that morning.

Old 2 Aug 2009, 19:11 (Ref:2514114)   #29
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How come in every picture you post, your hand is getting a little lower?
Old 2 Aug 2009, 19:40 (Ref:2514128)   #30
Stefvh
Veteran

Belgium
Stefvh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Danica is still growing.
Old 2 Aug 2009, 19:44 (Ref:2514131)   #31
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefvh View Post
Danica is still growing.
That's clever
Old 2 Aug 2009, 19:50 (Ref:2514134)   #32
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefvh
Danica is still growing.

So is my envy. I just want to see the expression on her face when he grabs some ass.

And that will be the hand I hope to shake if I can get away from work long enough to make it to Mid Ohio.
Old 3 Aug 2009, 06:52 (Ref:2514356)   #33
ozrevhead
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, Australia
ozrevhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gttouring View Post
watching Carpenter fight and those last few laps-spectacular
Indy racing should be like that all the time
and I suppose he was fighting by himself huh? It takes two to tango!

Typical!

It was a wonderfull finish and kudos for both riders for being smart enough to not run the other off the road.

I thought Ed had Ryan as Ed had two shots of his overtaking button left whereas Ryan ran out of his - I jumped out of my seat when Ryan crossed first

All he has to do is just keep on winning from here on end!
Old 3 Aug 2009, 07:14 (Ref:2514360)   #34
DanicaFan
Veteran

United States
Stuckeyville
DanicaFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I got to try some Venom Energy drink this weekend at Kentucky. It is good stuff.
Old 3 Aug 2009, 07:46 (Ref:2514378)   #35
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozrevhead View Post
and I suppose he was fighting by himself huh? It takes two to tango!

Typical!

It was a wonderfull finish and kudos for both riders for being smart enough to not run the other off the road.

I thought Ed had Ryan as Ed had two shots of his overtaking button left whereas Ryan ran out of his - I jumped out of my seat when Ryan crossed first

All he has to do is just keep on winning from here on end!
It was a very good battle and although I was pulling for Carpenter at the time I've changed my mind since, he was far to bland in the interview afterwards.
Old 3 Aug 2009, 09:07 (Ref:2514419)   #36
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Guess he was disappointed he didnt win after getting so close & wasnt happy with 2nd - like watching a Kyle Busch interview when he finishes 2nd
Old 3 Aug 2009, 13:33 (Ref:2514600)   #37
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Any replays out there?
Old 3 Aug 2009, 15:35 (Ref:2514664)   #38
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick View Post
Guess he was disappointed he didnt win after getting so close & wasnt happy with 2nd - like watching a Kyle Busch interview when he finishes 2nd
I said bland, not disappointed. Indifferent and mainly sponsor whoring, if you will. Anything but emotional.
Old 3 Aug 2009, 17:31 (Ref:2514784)   #39
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it says a lot about the state of the IRL racing if captain inherited can plant his footdown, hug the inside and only just be beaten...
The guy has shown zero talent and is only there because of who he is...(familiar story over there, really..)

As for the great racing, I was watching Briscoe and every lap he nudged ahead at the line, unable to break the drag factor to actually complete a pass but still ahead where it mattered....
So if its that predictable, how is it great racing?

I agree they had to do SOMETHING to improve the racing but I was hoping the P2P would mean they would actually COMPLETE passing instead of stalling out after they got side by side as they used to...

Still too much downforce on these cars....give me cars that can actually complete an overtaking manuever with more skill on display than just mashing the throttle to the floor and cranking it left....
So next chasis cycle then.....?
Old 3 Aug 2009, 17:40 (Ref:2514791)   #40
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...and Carpenter had never been in that situation before and it was the seventh closest finish in IRL history......and that doesn't include who used the P2P and where.

If you didn't like that race, there must be a soccer game somewhere for you to enjoy.
Old 3 Aug 2009, 17:54 (Ref:2514798)   #41
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I saw the race in person, and there was plenty of passign throughout the field, including at the front.

We finally got a race that was like the on-track product we got from IndyCar in the past....a fantastic race that went right to the wire...the crowd loved it.

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 3 Aug 2009, 18:00 (Ref:2514805)   #42
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by indycool View Post
...and Carpenter had never been in that situation before and it was the seventh closest finish in IRL history......and that doesn't include who used the P2P and where.

If you didn't like that race, there must be a soccer game somewhere for you to enjoy.
No I can't stand FOOTBALL but thanks for assuming I'm not a racing fan because I don't enjoy downforced enduced artificiality!

By that logic I can assume there was a WWE event on afterwards that you enjoyed too
Old 3 Aug 2009, 18:01 (Ref:2514806)   #43
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
No doubt, and it looked like a really good crowd in spite of the impending weather.

Hope you had a good time, it was a great show on the tube as well.
Old 3 Aug 2009, 18:10 (Ref:2514811)   #44
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagtechOhio View Post
No doubt, and it looked like a really good crowd in spite of the impending weather.

Hope you had a good time, it was a great show on the tube as well.
The crowd arrives late to their seats in Kentucky, because the place doesn't allow coolers and they 12 oz. beers for $6 and 16 oz brews for $8.

They tailgate as long as they can before taking their seats.

One section was empty in Turn four, but the rest on the main grandstands were very full.

People were on their feet for most of the last 20 laps. The crowd loved it.

P2P wasn't a big of a factor as removing the wickerbills from the rear wings, according to the drivers, and they were about 2-3 mph faster this year than in years past.

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 4 Aug 2009, 00:39 (Ref:2515077)   #45
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
Man, it's hard to develop cordial acquaintances here, let alone make friends.

What's up with that?
Old 4 Aug 2009, 00:52 (Ref:2515083)   #46
indycool
Veteran

I used to live in Michigan but you're okay with me, JagTech.......welcome aboard.
Old 4 Aug 2009, 02:01 (Ref:2515113)   #47
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
Cheers, mate. There are alot of knowledgeable voices in these rooms, but sometimes they are not talking to each other. Shouting on occasion, but not much talking.
Old 4 Aug 2009, 12:06 (Ref:2515386)   #48
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just keep posting Jag.
Old 4 Aug 2009, 16:30 (Ref:2515549)   #49
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
Thanks for that, Lift Off.

I was a bit player in this game, but that was 27 years ago and I have been only a very casual fan since. In trying to get my finger on the pulse of what's going on now, every aspect has radically changed and the sources of solid information are very hard to find...no published rulebook that I can find to read, for one example.

Some of the posters here write like they have inside knowledge, although it's hard to separate fact from opinion sometimes. I'm short on the former and long on the latter (as I tend to be with my words), so it's pretty likely that I'll take your advice and keep posting. Just wish I could find more facts to present.

The technical specs, funding, and series promotion are a bit vague in terms of the way the series is presented to the public. I want to understand what I'm watching.
Old 4 Aug 2009, 19:42 (Ref:2515679)   #50
indycool
Veteran

JagTech,

Best places I've found for what's going on:

indycar.com -- the official website of the series (I think they have a rulebook on there)

versus.com -- Bruce Martin covers the whole series wie-to-wire plus there's a forum there. They're really trying to activate their TV contract.

speedtv.com -- Robin Miller covers the series wire-to-wire and has for years.

indystar.com -- Curt Cavin has a Q&A on open-wheel racing several times a week along with consistent coverage.

newspaper websites in and around communities where the races are being held on race weekends.