Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 26 Jan 2010, 03:05 (Ref:2619510)   #76
mildura1963
Racer

Australia
Ex Mildura now in Hamilton NZ
mildura1963 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's what I love about the motorsport over here, like aussie was years ago, free parking, easy access to pits & friendly competitors who are happy to have a chat (that includes the O/seas guys ).
Old 26 Jan 2010, 09:49 (Ref:2619587)   #77
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Just a few of my favourites from about 700 taken! Any requests? I semed to cover most groups other than the F5000s (they were the race before ours - usually) and the Super Historics. My wife took a few pics but she couldn't focus the camera without her glasses!!! Threequarters of hers had to be dumped!

All ours taken from the spectator areas and lens was max zoom of 300mm, showing just what a fantastically photo friendly this circuit really is.

Last edited by socram; 26 Jan 2010 at 10:01.
Old 26 Jan 2010, 10:47 (Ref:2619603)   #78
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

BRM lives in NZ and was doing demo laps only.

Rumour has it that Neil Tolich had told David (Ferrari owner) that the festival starts next weekend, so that he could drive the Ferrari... David & Neil are former school friends and Neil travels to Europe regularly to race with David who is London based. Neil also owns the Fleetwood Mustang (seen in the UK 2009 driven at HD by Mal Clark who also runs the orange P6 Rover), the Jocko FJ and also races and Targa rallies a Ford Capri V8 Perana. One of NZ's good guys.

The Volpini was formerly owned by the late Geoff Manning, former F1 mechanic (to Graham Hill during the Embasy Hill days) who was responsible for finding the HD site. Driven here by Alan Woolf who is still a kiwi legend in his own right.

Last edited by socram; 26 Jan 2010 at 11:12. Reason: Adding html tags!
Old 26 Jan 2010, 11:22 (Ref:2619614)   #79
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland

Alastair Caldwell Lola.

Neil's Jocko

Mal's well campaigned Rover - he looks after some rather interesting cars...
Old 26 Jan 2010, 11:24 (Ref:2619617)   #80
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Love the Capri shot Socram

A few more of my favorites

count the number of cars in that corner

Love the one

For you socram
Old 26 Jan 2010, 13:43 (Ref:2619665)   #81
HFJ Drifter
Rookie

United Kingdom
New Forest
HFJ Drifter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excellent pictures, is there a website with results on at all?
Old 26 Jan 2010, 15:22 (Ref:2619714)   #82
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post

BRM lives in NZ and was doing demo laps only.

Rumour has it that Neil Tolich had told David (Ferrari owner) that the festival starts next weekend, so that he could drive the Ferrari... David & Neil are former school friends and Neil travels to Europe regularly to race with David who is London based. Neil also owns the Fleetwood Mustang (seen in the UK 2009 driven at HD by Mal Clark who also runs the orange P6 Rover), the Jocko FJ and also races and Targa rallies a Ford Capri V8 Perana. One of NZ's good guys.

The Volpini was formerly owned by the late Geoff Manning, former F1 mechanic (to Graham Hill during the Embasy Hill days) who was responsible for finding the HD site. Driven here by Alan Woolf who is still a kiwi legend in his own right.
I me Geoff at Monaco 2004.I was looking after Compte's Volpini he was in the same garage as us. I said to him about the diff housing splitting and having to weld it up every year.I asked him if he had the same problem. "yes" was the answer so i said well what to you do for a permanent repair. Geoff,s answer was " keep on welding it up". Top man. RIP
Old 26 Jan 2010, 18:00 (Ref:2619815)   #83
MACJAC
Rookie

MACJAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFJ Drifter View Post
Excellent pictures, is there a website with results on at all?
www.mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=501704
Old 26 Jan 2010, 19:15 (Ref:2619859)   #84
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
I me Geoff at Monaco 2004.I was looking after Compte's Volpini he was in the same garage as us. I said to him about the diff housing splitting and having to weld it up every year.I asked him if he had the same problem. "yes" was the answer so i said well what to you do for a permanent repair. Geoff,s answer was " keep on welding it up". Top man. RIP
ROFL

That sounds like a good bit of Kiwi number 8 wire mentality, also sounds like something Burt Munro would say

Also Socram why are your pics getting the Trade Me watermarks on them?
Old 26 Jan 2010, 19:59 (Ref:2619900)   #85
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
They are currently hosted on TradeMe as I was on the lap top last night and it was easier as a temporary measure, as my web pages are done via the PC and having spent 4 days at HD and with three coming up at Pukekohe, I don't think my wife would be too pleased if I buried myself in the office!

I now need to set up an extra web page which I may do later today (after I have caught up with a bit of paid work), then I'll post the link on here.

Copying the originals then shrinking them from 4mb takes a bit of time too. I lost a whole day's worth from Donington Museum on the laptop last September, so now I have them stored in three places and a mirrored hard drive on the PC!
Old 26 Jan 2010, 21:31 (Ref:2619962)   #86
SUPER-aguri !!!
Rookie

SUPER-aguri !!! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hi all,

just another question , regarding costume. the nzfmr site recommends dressing in period clothes ala goodwood. was this adhered to at hampton downs??? Have got my blazer and fedora ready!
Old 26 Jan 2010, 22:09 (Ref:2619991)   #87
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPER-aguri !!! View Post
hi all,

just another question , regarding costume. the nzfmr site recommends dressing in period clothes ala goodwood. was this adhered to at hampton downs??? Have got my blazer and fedora ready!
Go for it, adds to a great day out

Old 26 Jan 2010, 22:25 (Ref:2619998)   #88
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Quote:
They are currently hosted on TradeMe as I was on the lap top last night and it was easier as a temporary measure, as my web pages are done via the PC and having spent 4 days at HD and with three coming up at Pukekohe, I don't think my wife would be too pleased if I buried myself in the office!

I now need to set up an extra web page which I may do later today (after I have caught up with a bit of paid work), then I'll post the link on here.

Copying the originals then shrinking them from 4mb takes a bit of time too. I lost a whole day's worth from Donington Museum on the laptop last September, so now I have them stored in three places and a mirrored hard drive on the PC!
You could try getting on Facebook (mass uploads from original sizes, auto reduces) or using a photo hosting like Imageshack or Photobucket
Old 27 Jan 2010, 00:00 (Ref:2620031)   #89
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Already on Facebook, but restricted to friends!!!! Started the web page today but as yet, nothing new to look at so no point in posting a link just yet.

You just love the pink don't you! Love your pics. Really excellent.

I'm just trying to build my library of as many different car makes and models as possible, that I have taken myself, rather than 'borrowed'. (You have to respect copyright.)

I presume you'll be at Pukekohe NAC? We are behind the 'permanent' pit garages but no support vehicles so may not have the use of Grant's truck this time so I hope it stays dry.
Old 27 Jan 2010, 00:25 (Ref:2620041)   #90
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Quote:
Already on Facebook, but restricted to friends!!!! Started the web page today but as yet, nothing new to look at so no point in posting a link just yet.

You just love the pink don't you! Love your pics. Really excellent.

I'm just trying to build my library of as many different car makes and models as possible, that I have taken myself, rather than 'borrowed'. (You have to respect copyright.)

I presume you'll be at Pukekohe NAC? We are behind the 'permanent' pit garages but no support vehicles so may not have the use of Grant's truck this time so I hope it stays dry.
Sorry no not at Pukekohe, got family stuff on. Will have someone there covering though.

Sending you a PM with FB link to more pics (only put up a hand fill here)
Old 27 Jan 2010, 05:46 (Ref:2620111)   #91
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Got it! Thanks.
Old 28 Jan 2010, 11:46 (Ref:2620945)   #92
driftwood
Veteran

driftwood has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
neat pics thanks
is kenny smith shrinking in height?
has anyone got more info on the McRae can am car
i am aware there was a 1980 Ground effect F5000 car built is this the car rebodied?
Old 28 Jan 2010, 13:15 (Ref:2620995)   #93
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
has anyone got more info on the McRae can am car
No but I'm working on it, trying to get in touch with the owner
Old 29 Jan 2010, 07:43 (Ref:2621481)   #94
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like a great event, thanks for sharing the pics & stories everyone. That McRae Can Am car is a ripper, never knew about it (amazingly enough!), have only seen a couple of F5000 cars.
Old 29 Jan 2010, 08:13 (Ref:2621491)   #95
Warwick Robinson
Rookie

New Zealand
Warwick Robinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe the McRae Can Am car is a rebodied F5000 car.
Old 29 Jan 2010, 08:24 (Ref:2621494)   #96
Warwick Robinson
Rookie

New Zealand
Warwick Robinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have just found the following on the New Zealand Classic Car website: "The other car is a McRae GM9 sports car, recently purchased by Runciman racer, Roger Williams. The GM9 started life as a GM3 F5000 single seater race car, built and raced by Graham McRae in 1976. It was then converted to a centre seat Can-Am car. Then in 1978 McRae converted it back to its F5000 specification and shipped it to Australia, McRae winning the 1978 Australian Grand Prix in the car. The car was then shipped to New Zealand and re-formatted as a full ground effects centre-seat Can-Am car and sent back to the ‘States as GM9 where it competed for the next three years."
Old 29 Jan 2010, 08:42 (Ref:2621502)   #97
driftwood
Veteran

driftwood has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Thanks for info Warwick
i was sure there wa sonly 1 GE car built by McRae called the GM9
Old 30 Jan 2010, 08:06 (Ref:2622146)   #98
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
The driver's father can be contacted if required - send me a PM. They also run the McLaren M22-3-72 F5000 formerly owned by Tony Roberts (co owner of HD.).

Another steaming first couple of days at the second 3 day weekend at Pukekohe, though it rained briefly and heavily, 5 mins after I left, with two or three races still to go (Saturday).

Pukekohe is just not a patch on HD for taking photographs unless you have a media pass - and most of them were styanding on one corner...

Hook into Groundsky's website, as they are producings CDs and a book of pics of the two events. They normally have at least three photographers around and have a good reputation for motorsport coverage. You can normally access all thumbnails a couple of weeks after the event, by class or driver.

A fair bit of mechanical attrition and sadly, there were issues with the incorrect fuel supplied at HD. Organisers ordered Avgas but got a mix that was left over from another NZ race series, with tragic results on some engines, with melted pistons, damaged seals and fuel tank foams etc.

Our grid reduced from about 32 to 22 - but makes my finishing position look better!

Great battle with Frank Karl's Healey 3000 today, which is faster down the straights, but I was touching his rear bumper on the twiddly bits!
Old 1 Feb 2010, 00:07 (Ref:2623343)   #99
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Hampton Downs photos are now up on Groundsky's website. Pics of ALL competitors categorised by race group.

www.groundsky.co.nz

Pukekohe pics to follow shortly - and the rains came down... Drat. I fell off twice in my last race as new rubber on the front and ancient rubber on the rear. Pukekohe is very slippery in the wet.

Another nose to tail dice with the Healey in the morning race though and I was just behind him again when I fell off the first time. Fell off again as I moved over to let Jack Ondrack's TVR through (first pic). Second pic is after the finish and waving to the marshals and anyone else brave enough to be out in the rain.

Pics from the NZ Classic Car Magazine photographer.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0321.jpg   DSC_0327.jpg  

Last edited by socram; 1 Feb 2010 at 00:09. Reason: Typos as usual...
Old 4 Feb 2010, 05:30 (Ref:2626134)   #100
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
For those with access to NZ's TV1 - the first meeting being played on Sunday Feb 7th, 2:30pm to 4:00pm.

Following weekend is the Pukekohe meeting for an hour. No idea what classes are being covered or the overall format.