Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Next year I will (chose the closest most likely option)
Watch live on BBC or Sky depending which it is on. 36 32.73%
Watch only BBC live or delayed/highlights. 48 43.64%
Watch only BBC live (live or not bother). 16 14.55%
Not watch, it is over for me. 10 9.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 4 Aug 2011, 09:20 (Ref:2935697)   #551
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm having some problems with the consistent message of "look how Sky have improved coverage of other sports". The only thing they can improve here is the pre- and post- race show. For the race itself they'll be taking the FOM stream same as everybody else has to, including the BBC.
Old 4 Aug 2011, 09:43 (Ref:2935705)   #552
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauln View Post
I'm having some problems with the consistent message of "look how Sky have improved coverage of other sports". The only thing they can improve here is the pre- and post- race show. For the race itself they'll be taking the FOM stream same as everybody else has to, including the BBC.
Well, the BBC "coverage" is a million times better than what ITV managed, stuff like the Free Practice sessions on the red button, F1 forum aswell, NO ADVERTS!!!! yet the actual product (the racing) stays the same.
Old 4 Aug 2011, 09:57 (Ref:2935713)   #553
bravo
Racer

England
North East England
bravo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauln View Post
Exactly, or improvement to the commentary. But I feel the commentary now is excellent. It's inclusive enough for casual viewers without being too dumbed down, and very few mistakes. I'm quite impressed with how many spots DC has made, overtaking under yellows, running off the track etc. In the last few years they wouldn't be noticed until the drivethough or laptime came in and the commentators would say "oh, so I wonder what happened there".

The format of bringing the whole race from a studio-less team works really well for me. It's like almost being there. It wouldn't work for sports like snooker but seems really good for F1.
Old 4 Aug 2011, 09:58 (Ref:2935714)   #554
Retired
Rookie

England
EGYD
Retired should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Adam Parr consistently shows himself to be a prize cock doesn't he? How out of touch with your consumers (fans) is it possible for any business to be?

Williams, possibly the most British of teams in many ways has it's CEO basically telling the British fans to suck it up and to be happy about paying more to watch F1 so that it costs the teams less.

Wonder how long it'll take for him to come out with a statement "clarifying" his comments?

Gotta say, from over this side of the world, he doesn't seem worthy of running a team of racers like Williams.
Old 4 Aug 2011, 10:13 (Ref:2935720)   #555
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Well, the BBC "coverage" is a million times better than what ITV managed, stuff like the Free Practice sessions on the red button, F1 forum aswell, NO ADVERTS!!!! yet the actual product (the racing) stays the same.
is it just me who's thinking there will be adverts, but within the existing coverage a la nascar with random stat attacks being brought to you by andrex or the post race press conference brought to you by red bull or so forth? the "i'm told" corner brought to you by ruperts home spy kit?
Old 4 Aug 2011, 10:53 (Ref:2935733)   #556
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Cynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sky will obviously be hoping that this deal will add to their Sky Sports / Sports HD subscription base, but I can see it backfiring in much the same way that the Setanta / NASN deal did. NASN subscribers weren't given the option of only having NASN, it was the full package or nothing, so quite a few cancelled.
If you don't haver Sky Sports currently it's presumably either a) becuase you can't afford it, or b) don't give a toss about Football / Rugby / Cricket etc. If it's the latter case are you really going to pay 30 quid a month for 8-10 hours of viewing time? I know I won't be.
Old 4 Aug 2011, 10:54 (Ref:2935734)   #557
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABWOA View Post
The sponsorship question is a good one - funny that they have been silent (or just waiting for the next boardroom meeting after the new year.)

The idea seems to be that the fans can start paying for directly for the F1 show. I thought that was the idea of sponsorship - I like what they do in F1 so I'll by thier products.

According to Motorsport News, Pirelli have said that they will be watching the viewing figures closely......now there's a surprise
Old 4 Aug 2011, 11:39 (Ref:2935762)   #558
exflagman
Racer

exflagman is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
According to Motorsport News, Pirelli have said that they will be watching the viewing figures closely......now there's a surprise
Well thats at least one viewer for Sky then

Last edited by exflagman; 4 Aug 2011 at 11:45.
Old 4 Aug 2011, 12:26 (Ref:2935773)   #559
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynic View Post
Sky will obviously be hoping that this deal will add to their Sky Sports / Sports HD subscription base, but I can see it backfiring in much the same way that the Setanta / NASN deal did. NASN subscribers weren't given the option of only having NASN, it was the full package or nothing, so quite a few cancelled.
i think considering those points you raise, a good way for sky to run the f1 coverage would be to have a dedicated f1 channel running repeats of practice and races, previews or just some "experts" sat in a studio waffling on repeat so they can show the races on a single (or multiple, including the onboards - i'd like to see a pitlane action channel too now) channel that's easy to offer a single subscription to. then it doesn't interfere with the rest of their scheduling. so basically a similar setup to the scheme f1 did a bit ago. perhaps then you could either get it for a quid or two extra on top of a normal sky sports package or as an isolated subscription if you're not interested in sports.

presumably they'd have done that already with other sports if they felt like it but the huge poostorm that's kicked off as a result of this would probably justify the trialling of a seperate f1 package. if, according to quite a few pundits, pay tv is indeed, the "future" of sports broadcasting.
Old 4 Aug 2011, 13:19 (Ref:2935791)   #560
exflagman
Racer

exflagman is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
so basically a similar setup to the scheme f1 did a bit ago.
The one that bombed?
Old 4 Aug 2011, 13:44 (Ref:2935801)   #561
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
i think more that the market wasn't ready for it. now we've had an intermediate product, ie f1 on the red button with onboard feed and alternative audio plus now with hd i think the pickup would be better than it was back then.
Old 4 Aug 2011, 17:31 (Ref:2935894)   #562
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Everyone, I know we're all gutted that the BBC could no longer afford exclusive F1 rights. But we must all accept that it is a brutal business in a tough economy, and quality programming is not cheap.

But fear not, the BBC have not been simply piddling away the money saved from losing the F1!

BBC pays £22 millions for X-factor-alike.

PS. I know this is a month or two old and is probably completely irrelevant to the F1. Still doesn't feel right
Old 4 Aug 2011, 18:35 (Ref:2935909)   #563
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
More people watch that than F1! However popularity isn't the only objective of the beeb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
will they compare that to the market share and countries the sell tyre into?
Do Pirelli only sell tyres in the UK, if they do this will be a massive problem for them.

On the other hand less people will see their tyre wear out quickly live.
Old 4 Aug 2011, 18:36 (Ref:2935910)   #564
boyndie
Rookie

Scotland
Scottish Highlands
boyndie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Posted by Cynic "If you don't have Sky Sports currently it's presumably either a) because you can't afford it, or b) don't give a toss about Football / Rugby / Cricket etc. If it's the latter case are you really going to pay 30 quid a month for 8-10 hours of viewing time? I know I won't be."

A bit late to this thread (well very late it appears)

My opinion : will watch BBC and delayed BBC, will not pay for or watch "pay to view" sky (nor should anyone)

The whole idea is pants and designed to draw more money from us (you, me and all other fans) in a time of financial hardship.

I think that Bernie is just greedy.

I am a fan but crucially NOT fanatical.

Last edited by boyndie; 4 Aug 2011 at 18:54.
Old 4 Aug 2011, 18:53 (Ref:2935915)   #565
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I must admit to feeling quite bad now. I work for a company that charges people for goods and services. We have continued to do that during the recent recession.
Old 4 Aug 2011, 19:11 (Ref:2935920)   #566
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I must admit to feeling quite bad now. I work for a company that charges people for goods and services. We have continued to do that during the recent recession.
Not only that, but you charge the company itself for your services!! Be ashamed.
Old 4 Aug 2011, 19:16 (Ref:2935922)   #567
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Which I then use to buy sky.

There should be a name for all this. What could it be? Er, it is the electronic age, it is all deceitful, it is a big circle and to do with an individuals work. What about e-con-o-my?

Old 4 Aug 2011, 19:22 (Ref:2935925)   #568
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynic View Post
If it's the latter case are you really going to pay 30 quid a month for 8-10 hours of viewing time? I know I won't be.
This is relevant to the would you pay thread in armchair.

As it is free to watch on beeb, but some delayed, maybe it isn't worth it. Although there aren't many things you get 10 hours entertainment for £30. Not many top line sporting events are less than that, or concerts, or even an evening in the pub. I can use £30 of fuel going somewhere easily too.
Old 4 Aug 2011, 19:23 (Ref:2935926)   #569
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox89 View Post
Not only that, but you charge the company itself for your services!! Be ashamed.
your views fascinate me! consider me signed up for whatever newsletter or manifesto that came from.

one question though about the person who owns my company and essentially pays me...they shouldn't be allowed to make any money of that because you know that would be wrong right?
Old 4 Aug 2011, 20:11 (Ref:2935942)   #570
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
This is relevant to the would you pay thread in armchair.

As it is free to watch on beeb, but some delayed, maybe it isn't worth it. Although there aren't many things you get 10 hours entertainment for £30. Not many top line sporting events are less than that, or concerts, or even an evening in the pub. I can use £30 of fuel going somewhere easily too.
Its actually worse if you are not a sky subscriber like yours truly.
To see 10 GPs live it will cost about £600 thats £60 per GP.

Weekend passes for some non European Gps are £25.
Or I can to Le Mans for less than £300 all in and get a full seasons distance of GPs in one race.
Old 4 Aug 2011, 20:50 (Ref:2935951)   #571
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Weekend passes for some non European Gps are £25.
Wow, which ones? I'd probably have to fly there.
Quote:
Or I can to Le Mans for less than £300 all in and get a full seasons distance of GPs in one race.
I recommend you go to Le Mans, it is great. You need sky HD to watch it at home.
Old 4 Aug 2011, 21:05 (Ref:2935958)   #572
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Wow, which ones? I'd probably have to fly there.
I recommend you go to Le Mans, it is great. You need sky HD to watch it at home.
Try China and possibly Malaysia, I think basic entry to Brazil is quite low but cannot find any prices on the net.

On Le Mans been there bought the T shirt
Old 4 Aug 2011, 21:13 (Ref:2935962)   #573
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Never been to China. I bought sky instead, it was cheaper, especially for the whole family. Morally, is it worse to buy something from Murdoch or go to China?

My Silk Cut T-Shirt has faded. not that it is big enough for me nowadays.
Old 4 Aug 2011, 21:21 (Ref:2935964)   #574
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
Never been to China. I bought sky instead, it was cheaper, especially for the whole family. Morally, is it worse to buy something from Murdoch or go to China?

That is a difficult question.
Old 5 Aug 2011, 01:04 (Ref:2936016)   #575
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
That is a difficult question.
Not at all, read Adam's post again...
Closed Thread

Tags
outrage, sky