Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 2 May 2004, 09:22 (Ref:958459)   #1
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Cam Shaft Belt on an Astra

I had my car in for a service on Friday and at the end was asked if the cam shaft belt had been replaced. No, it hasn't, the car has done 47,000 miles and the reccomended change time is 60,000 miles, it says that in my service booklet and had said it in the Vauxhall dealership the last time I'd been in there.

No, apparently they've changed that idea and now say that it should be changed at 40,000.

I'd love to know what their response would be if someone had a belt break between 40,000 and 60,000 because they don't seem to have bothered telling people about this change.
Old 2 May 2004, 12:30 (Ref:958564)   #2
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On most cars it is 100,000kms- 80,000 maybe as a precaution if you drive pretty hard, - 60,000 to 50,000ish? miles, It would be fine, just get it changed at 60,000, they just want money, its a dealership.

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 3 May 2004, 08:30 (Ref:959090)   #3
oily oaf
Racer

oily oaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've known 'em to go at all sorts of intervals especialy if the belt has been contaminated with oil. I usually change mine every 30,000 to be on the safe side as a snapped cam belt can result in serious damage to the valve gear and piston crowns although modern cars are usually fitted with a fail safe.
Old 3 May 2004, 08:57 (Ref:959110)   #4
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Holden Astra's in Australia have the timing belts and TENSIONERS replaced at 60,000km any longer and they have a bad habit of breaking
Old 3 May 2004, 09:52 (Ref:959147)   #5
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Is it a diesel or petrol. I have a 1.5 diesel Corsa and the estimated time went from 60000 miles to 89000 miles in 2 years. I think they just work it out on how many break within a certain milage. There must have been a lot of failures with your type of engine over 40K
Old 3 May 2004, 11:27 (Ref:959219)   #6
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I s'pose it depends how often you find your way onto the track when you go to Oulton, Carrie!

Always being the sceptic (especially where Vauxhall dealers are concerned), they're not just trying to get the extra cash out of you before you sell it are they?! Common tactic that - scaring you into having work done you don't need.

On the other hand, could be a conscientious service manager who recommends having it done sooner. Certainly, if you intend keeping the car I'd have it done next service. Meanwhile, check the details - if they still formally advise 60k and it goes sooner, then you may be able to argue the toss with them as to who pays for the repair...
Old 3 May 2004, 23:27 (Ref:959888)   #7
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
How old is your Astra Carrie?

I had a 1992 Astra and not the Astra 'G' which is the latest bodyshape.

With my old-ish Astra the belt change time was 80,000 miles.

However recently I bought a 1998 1.8L Vectra Sri. I found out only by looking up on reviews and stuff on the web that the cambelt interval had been changed to 40,000 miles. They changed the interval since there were so many Vauxhalls in dealerships with minced engines.

Mine was on 47,000 when I bought it and the first thing I did was change the cambelt along with all the rollers. The parts were £100 and luckily my father is a qualified vauxhall technician (although he prefers the term 'mechanic' as he's been doing the trade for 40 years ) so it cost me nothing to fit.

So I can confirm the interval for later Vauxhalls' cambelts is 40,000 miles.

Last edited by Spudgun; 3 May 2004 at 23:29.
Old 4 May 2004, 08:46 (Ref:960113)   #8
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
The interval for my Pug is 72000 miles but there's no way I'd leave it that long, I reckon on changing it at about every 36000. (The last belt change was made because the tensioners sounded really rough - if the belt comes off for any reason a new belt goes back on) With cambelts it's really not worth the risk of running the extra miles - the bill for repairs after valves hit pistons is scary.
Old 9 May 2004, 20:59 (Ref:965893)   #9
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mine is a 2001 Astra and I'm the first person to be cynical where dealerships are concerned.

It just got me that they could change the interval and not inform drivers of their cars because I'd err on the side of caution, I wouldn't want that going on me with the potential repair bill for damage.

Anyway, the car will go to my friendly mechanic to have the belt done. Nobody in their right mind would pay £250 to Vauxhall.
Old 10 May 2004, 09:25 (Ref:966265)   #10
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
If you're changing the belt make sure you change the tensioners as well - vauxhalls are well known for tensioner failures - that in turn can cause the belt to break or jump both of which result in a hefty repair bill.
Old 10 May 2004, 16:42 (Ref:966667)   #11
Carrie
Veteran

Yep, thanks for the advice. My friendly mechanic said he'd be doing the tensioners as well.
Old 11 May 2004, 23:56 (Ref:968238)   #12
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In a lot of cases it is the belt manufacturer that sets the limit on how long the belt can remain before being replaced......With some MKII Mondeo's the interval is 72000 while others it is 40000 miles...
The new Iveco Daily van has a belt change only when it reaches 240,000 kms and that milage is set by the belt manufacturer...