Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 30 Jan 2014, 14:13 (Ref:3362122)   #301
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Sky sources (yes, I know) reporting that Michael is "responding to basic instructions", which, whilst hardly a cause for massive celebration, is at least encouraging.
The awakening process is procedural... not good news or bad news. However, if this Sky News report is true, that is the first positive report we've had since the accident... and extremely good news.
Old 30 Jan 2014, 14:19 (Ref:3362125)   #302
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It'll be a few months before we know where Michael stands, so best to just wait I suppose.

But hard not to feel much happier about the situation today.
Old 30 Jan 2014, 17:42 (Ref:3362193)   #303
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The long and short of this story is that it will be about about 5 days before he's fully awake at the earliest and provided he makes any sort of improvement.

At this point they've lightened the sedation enough for him to respond to simple commands, such as, open your eyes, or grab my hand. It's not going to be much beyond that for some time...these are low-level functions, remember that.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 30 Jan 2014, 21:06 (Ref:3362260)   #304
Zico
Racer

Zico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does the fact that he was conscious after reaching the hospital after the fall mean we can afford to be a bit more positive about the outcome than if he was already in a coma... or is it more to do with the damage the swelling might have done and the surgery intrusion level?
Old 30 Jan 2014, 22:44 (Ref:3362299)   #305
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zico View Post
Does the fact that he was conscious after reaching the hospital after the fall mean we can afford to be a bit more positive about the outcome than if he was already in a coma... or is it more to do with the damage the swelling might have done and the surgery intrusion level?
I understand there was conciousness for a few minutes after the accident - which partially explains our confusion at the start of this thread - until the injures took hold. He was already unconscious when he was delivered by the helicopter to the hospital.

If he's going to be tightening his hands in response to commands and making small movements on verbal instruction than that will be some good news.
Old 30 Jan 2014, 23:46 (Ref:3362319)   #306
Zico
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
I understand there was conciousness for a few minutes after the accident - which partially explains our confusion at the start of this thread - until the injures took hold. He was already unconscious when he was delivered by the helicopter to the hospital.

If he's going to be tightening his hands in response to commands and making small movements on verbal instruction than that will be some good news.

Thanks for the correction of the facts as I'd actually read that he was still conscious on his arrival at the hospital.

Yes, that is indeed good news at this early stage. Now is the time for crossed fingers and prayers to be made while we all wait in hope for the best possible outcome.
Old 31 Jan 2014, 01:28 (Ref:3362345)   #307
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zico View Post
So, lemme give you the basics..

He had multiple epidural hematomas. An epidural hematoma is a collection of blood between the dura mater(sometimes called the tough matter)it's the fibrous covering of the brain that carries the arterial blood supply. What happened is that the inside of the skull, which is actually very rough, cut a few of those arteries. What happens then is that the blood collects, sometimes slow, sometimes rapidly. The case here is that he was unconscious, followed by a time frame of being awake, then essentially, decompenstating into a period of unconsciousness.

The part where that all goes bad is if he would have bled enough to push the brain our of the skull through the magnum foramen(herniation), that's where the spinal cord enters the skull. If that occurs it's 100% fatal.

So, what was done here, is that a head CT or MRI showed the bleeds, and he was subsequently sedated, intubated, and placed on the ventilator. He would have then been taken to surgery to remove the trapped blood. That may have been a craniotomy, or a burr-hole. In extreme circumstances, the can remove portions of the skull, and allow the brain to swell through them, then replace those later on.

He will have been on sedation for brain rest and comfort, with a pressure bolt to measure severity of intra-cranial pressures, a constant EEG for brain activity and IV feeds.

Currently he likely has a tracheostomy, and will slowly be weaned from sedation to judge level of function. until he is fully weaned, we won't know level of dysfunction.

It may be serious, it may be something as simple as memory issues. The fact that he is responding is a great sign..but, it needs to be approached with great restraint. This may be the highest level of function he will ever have, then again, he may be back to drifting Ferrari's like the Stig in two years.

Very hard to say. I prefer the latter to the former, but, neuro injuries are damn near impossible to predict.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 31 Jan 2014, 02:16 (Ref:3362353)   #308
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post

He had multiple epidural hematomas. An epidural hematoma is a collection of blood between the dura mater(sometimes called the tough matter)it's the fibrous covering of the brain that carries the arterial blood supply. What happened is that the inside of the skull, which is actually very rough, cut a few of those arteries. What happens then is that the blood collects, sometimes slow, sometimes rapidly. The case here is that he was unconscious, followed by a time frame of being awake, then essentially, decompenstating into a period of unconsciousness.

The part where that all goes bad is if he would have bled enough to push the brain our of the skull through the magnum foramen(herniation), that's where the spinal cord enters the skull. If that occurs it's 100% fatal.

So, what was done here, is that a head CT or MRI showed the bleeds, and he was subsequently sedated, intubated, and placed on the ventilator. He would have then been taken to surgery to remove the trapped blood. That may have been a craniotomy, or a burr-hole. In extreme circumstances, the can remove portions of the skull, and allow the brain to swell through them, then replace those later on.

He will have been on sedation for brain rest and comfort, with a pressure bolt to measure severity of intra-cranial pressures, a constant EEG for brain activity and IV feeds.

Currently he likely has a tracheostomy, and will slowly be weaned from sedation to judge level of function. until he is fully weaned, we won't know level of dysfunction.

It may be serious, it may be something as simple as memory issues. The fact that he is responding is a great sign..but, it needs to be approached with great restraint. This may be the highest level of function he will ever have, then again, he may be back to drifting Ferrari's like the Stig in two years.

Very hard to say. I prefer the latter to the former, but, neuro injuries are damn near impossible to predict.
Thank you for your input.
Old 31 Jan 2014, 03:06 (Ref:3362366)   #309
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
For sure, I just want to dispel a whole ton of guessing...those are the basics in a nutshell.
Old 31 Jan 2014, 10:07 (Ref:3362476)   #310
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
david5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you for making it understandable for an average person to understand too.
Old 31 Jan 2014, 19:01 (Ref:3362642)   #311
migliacars
Racer

United Kingdom
doncaster
migliacars has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Thanks for the information

Thanks for the information.
This has made it quite clear what has happened.

Im hoping he make a full recovery, Praying infact.
Old 31 Jan 2014, 20:24 (Ref:3362678)   #312
TheNo1F1Fan
Veteran

Denmark
TheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by migliacars View Post

Agree.
Old 31 Jan 2014, 21:54 (Ref:3362713)   #313
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by migliacars View Post

Anything is possible.

I had a motorcycle accident as a pillion in Nepal a year ago. No helmet so hit the road and split my head open (13 stitches) right temple at 50 -60 k. Head scans in hospital revealed left side (memory and speech) was bleeding between brain and skull.
The hospital waited rather than operate and memory started back 3 days after the accident, but speech and reasoning was not good at that time. I have no memory from about 30 minutes before the accident for the three days after but I was conscious, talking arguing, wanting to leave, tearing drips out of my arm, etc. I don't remember it but it happened.
When my memory started to function again behaviour returned to non violent, and I could not answer coherently but I began to think and longer term memory started to return.
Within 3 more days I was up wandering around intensive care pestering the nurses but behaving normally. After 10 days in ITU they sent me to a lesser ward but three days after that I was allowed to a friends place out of hospital and had a check up 10 days later. Then I was free to fly etc.

Within four weeks of the accident I was back on a bike and teaching rural seminars for up to 6 hours a day. No after effects from the accident at all although I have never recovered the 3 days memory of the accident or in the hospital.

Head injuries can be weird but as MoMedic said there is no way of predicting an outcome. My accident was far more serious than Schumi's and could have turned the other way. I have been told I was something of a miracle but the third world hospital was fantastic. The doctors are good, the nurses are great....

Last edited by Teretonga; 31 Jan 2014 at 22:05.
Old 31 Jan 2014, 22:44 (Ref:3362735)   #314
Zico
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post

So, what was done here, is that a head CT or MRI showed the bleeds, and he was subsequently sedated, intubated, and placed on the ventilator. He would have then been gtaken to surgery to remove the trapped blood. That may have been a craniotomy, or a burr-hole. In extreme circumstances, the can remove portions of the skull, and allow the brain to swell through them, then replace those later on.

Thank you for the detailed explanation and for putting it in laymans terms for us... very helpful!
Old 1 Feb 2014, 15:59 (Ref:3362924)   #315
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
Anything is possible.

I had a motorcycle accident as a pillion in Nepal a year ago. No helmet so hit the road and split my head open (13 stitches) right temple at 50 -60 k. .
Really glad your ok, but seriously dude, no helmet ??!!!!!! What the were you thinking ?
Old 1 Feb 2014, 16:55 (Ref:3362943)   #316
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
In a very sad irony, one of Michael Schumacher's contemporaries in Junior Karting, 1982 World Champion, Romeo Deila died yesterday in Italy as a result of what's believed to have been an intracranial aneurysm. He was 47 years old.
Old 1 Feb 2014, 17:07 (Ref:3362947)   #317
TheNo1F1Fan
Veteran

Denmark
TheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
In a very sad irony, one of Michael Schumacher's contemporaries in Junior Karting, 1982 World Champion, Romeo Deila died yesterday in Italy as a result of what's believed to have been an intracranial aneurysm. He was 47 years old.
R.I.P. Romeo Deila.
Old 1 Feb 2014, 19:56 (Ref:3362999)   #318
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Really glad your ok, but seriously dude, no helmet ??!!!!!! What the were you thinking ?
Very few people in Nepal and India wear crash helmets when riding pillion. Its usually unbearably hot and most riders wear them undone or some other fashion improperly anyway.
Bikes are usually 125's, 150's or 200's, nothing any bigger. I was asked to go to speak at a function and there was no other way there at that time. It's just life.... Someone was watching over me.

What is interesting is that I bought a helmet when I came out of hospital but I have never worn it because whenever I was riding pillion I never had the helmet with me... And they aren't convenient to carry or travel with.
Most travel insurance companies also have exclusion clauses if you have a bike accident or a bike accident without a helmet in Asia too.
Old 1 Feb 2014, 23:19 (Ref:3363063)   #319
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post

Seconded, despite Teretonga's defense above!

"If you've got a $10 head wear a $10 helmet!"

P.S. Still believe people should be made to wear helmets in cars!
Old 5 Feb 2014, 09:20 (Ref:3364347)   #320
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Seconded, despite Teretonga's defense above!

"If you've got a $10 head wear a $10 helmet!"

P.S. Still believe people should be made to wear helmets in cars!
I firmly believe car manufacturers should be made to build roll cages.
Old 5 Feb 2014, 10:56 (Ref:3364375)   #321
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post
I firmly believe car manufacturers should be made to build roll cages.

Oh so you aren't sold on the safety of coke can technology either!

No argument from me!
Old 5 Feb 2014, 11:04 (Ref:3364377)   #322
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Bah. People are far too safety conscious these days.
Old 5 Feb 2014, 13:11 (Ref:3364424)   #323
jhh911
Rookie

United Kingdom
cawood uk
jhh911 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It has already been stated that wearing a helmet was the difference between life and death for Michael .Re comments about use of helmets for pillion riders.
When in India my wife and I both wear helmets on our scooter much to the amusement of the locals, who ask,why two helmets?Answer two heads!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 5 Feb 2014, 21:51 (Ref:3364604)   #324
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's an interesting piece on the BBC about the challenges ahead...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-26033972
Old 5 Feb 2014, 22:50 (Ref:3364643)   #325
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaholic View Post
There's an interesting piece on the BBC about the challenges ahead...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-26033972
Thanks Alfaholic, speaking for myself, I only wish Michael and his family all the best, and it would be good to have some news of his progress!

I guess the truth is that the hoped for happy news that Michael is A OK or at least improving is at best some way off.

Just sad and concerned for him and his family, hoping for a miracle!
Closed Thread