Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 17 Aug 2006, 18:50 (Ref:1685328)   #1
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
ESPN classic showing classic British GP (merged)

I posted this here so people would actually see it.....

ESPN Classic on Sunday at 4pm and 4:30pm are showing the 1977 and 1978 British grand prix here in Great Britian.
The channel here is 442 on Sky Digital.
Old 17 Aug 2006, 19:21 (Ref:1685352)   #2
Stone Man
Rookie

Stone Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Autosport.com say ESPN have bought the rights from the BBC.

I went to these races and so I've never seen them on TV.....NO VIDEO PLAYERS THEN!
Old 17 Aug 2006, 19:27 (Ref:1685357)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oh yes, very good. Will add these to the DVD empire!

Thanks luke.
Old 17 Aug 2006, 19:33 (Ref:1685366)   #4
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
dazbaz_99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good stuff, i was wondering whether they would show some old GP's.

Can we have some old CART races too please ESPN? '93 season would be great!
Old 17 Aug 2006, 19:50 (Ref:1685374)   #5
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They do on the U.S. ESPN Classic. Each May they show many classic Indy 500s.

But hey atleast we get to see these classic grand prix as BBC, ITV don't show them...
Old 17 Aug 2006, 20:02 (Ref:1685384)   #6
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice one Luke, reminder is set... let's hope i remember to watch them!
Old 17 Aug 2006, 20:12 (Ref:1685395)   #7
Stone Man
Rookie

Stone Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1977 Silverstone..the F1 debut of THE Villeneuve ( The one without the PINK in his Helmet design)
Old 17 Aug 2006, 20:15 (Ref:1685401)   #8
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Excellent,now where did i put my rose-tinted specs?
Old 20 Aug 2006, 15:01 (Ref:1687397)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's on now then, looks very good!

Ooh! The Yellow Teapot!!!
Old 20 Aug 2006, 15:15 (Ref:1687415)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

This is magnificent...
Old 20 Aug 2006, 15:55 (Ref:1687446)   #11
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I knew i would do it!!
I missed it!!

No! Just catching the last 4 minutes...
Old 20 Aug 2006, 16:06 (Ref:1687448)   #12
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I hope they do more of these, it was first class.
Old 20 Aug 2006, 17:26 (Ref:1687530)   #13
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
I hope they do more of these, it was first class.
I agree, a fabulous hour of F1. Didnt Brands Hatch look great!
Old 20 Aug 2006, 17:36 (Ref:1687543)   #14
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Oh sensational mate.

And Silverstone was fast too.

The cars looked and sounded great. The races may have been just as dull as nowadays often, but you'd never tire of those cars. They are alive.

Nice opportunistic move by Reutemann on Lauda too!
Old 20 Aug 2006, 18:28 (Ref:1687589)   #15
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
Oh sensational mate.

And Silverstone was fast too.

The cars looked and sounded great. The races may have been just as dull as nowadays often, but you'd never tire of those cars. They are alive.

Nice opportunistic move by Reutemann on Lauda too!
Yes it was. I hope they show more races in the future!
Old 21 Aug 2006, 21:17 (Ref:1688321)   #16
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Now you're making me jealous. Thanks guys, thanks.
Old 21 Aug 2006, 21:35 (Ref:1688336)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Don't mention it.
Old 21 Aug 2006, 21:48 (Ref:1688354)   #18
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
They are repeated on the weekend again chipmunky.
Old 21 Aug 2006, 21:49 (Ref:1688358)   #19
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Oh great news. They aren't gonna show new ones, just repeats.

Don't they know I've got them taped now!
Old 21 Aug 2006, 21:53 (Ref:1688361)   #20
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
LOL. well I'm sure they will in the future, maybe two weeks or definately a months time.They will have to show 1987, 1991 or most ones actually that were on the BBC.
Old 22 Aug 2006, 07:33 (Ref:1688509)   #21
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Unlikely that they will show anything from the 80s, I was initally a little surprised they are showing any old GPs. Autosport reports that these are 'pre-Concorde Agreement' races, which would explain how the BBC still have the rights to them.

I remember a few years back when the BBC were did a special to celebrate 40 years of Grandstand. Formula 1 was the only sport not to be featured, because despite the BBC coverage being partly responsible for F1's rise in popularity the rights now belong to Bernie and he wanted a substansial sum to let them show any clips.
Old 22 Aug 2006, 11:55 (Ref:1688665)   #22
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes, all of these are pre-Concorde. They'll be showing the 1973-1980 races according to their schedule, every weekend for the next six weeks, including repeats for those like me who missed this first lot!
Old 22 Aug 2006, 12:45 (Ref:1688698)   #23
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England

Well do ITV have an archive? I know they bought the rights after 1996 but surely they may have bought their archives?

In America Speed used to show classic races from the '90s...
Old 22 Aug 2006, 12:49 (Ref:1688707)   #24
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
ITV only have a licence to broadcast coverage, they do not have the subsequent rights to resell that footage.

Similar to showing a film - they have the rights to broadcast that film a certain number of times but they don't 'own' the film.
Old 23 Aug 2006, 15:05 (Ref:1689673)   #25
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Tim....do you have any idea when the next classic GP's are on and which one's they are?

I looked on my Sky Guide and see nothing for this weekend!