Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

View Poll Results: Is it right & proper that nonmembers read all of 10ths
Share thoughts with registered members only? 7 8.24%
Let the world look over our shoulder? 18 21.18%
If a non-member has a problem with what is posted, they should either register and explain their position or if necessary, contact the site staff with a complaint. 60 70.59%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 31 May 2006, 20:26 (Ref:1624130)   #51
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
And I will continue to forward comments to Chris that I feel are worth his reply (for those occasions when he might be away etc).
Old 31 May 2006, 21:32 (Ref:1624177)   #52
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
thepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hobson
Should this forum go "Private" or "Members Only"? NO. I find some of the threads fascinating, others a complete waste of time, and many that are very useful. I find the forum is a superb way for people to let others know their true feelings, but I do wish that if someone has something to say that is important, that they would use their real names. It would certainly help me - I hate pseudonyms!
Keep ten tenths open, keep it interesting and keep it constructive and the "Senior Officials" will take note, make it a whinging place and they won't.
I know that when I raise matters from the forum at committees etc. other high rankers (cockney rhyming slang?) often try to dismiss the comments, more fool them. George and I will continue to monitor the discussions - we may not always join in (there are times when politically we need to just keep a watching brief), but you can rest assured we do take note of many items raised (the current GP Tickets discussion being one such thread).
So please continue as you are, but if you want to help me, sign off with your real name! regards, Chris Hobson, National Chairman BMMC

Here-here!

Simon Bill - BMMC NGO

(will that do Chris?)

But don't care.
Old 31 May 2006, 22:38 (Ref:1624228)   #53
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepits!
Here-here!

Simon Bill - BMMC NGO

(will that do Chris?)
Golly, no wonder you hide behind 'the pits' - it should be "Hear! Hear!"

Dont you know nuffink?
Old 1 Jun 2006, 14:55 (Ref:1624631)   #54
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze
I wasn't trying to suggest people register in an official capicity simply personal, however the line between personal and professional will never be clear for some. I wasn't trying to suggest discussion about the forum should be kept solely on site (I'll discuss the forum face to face and the like) nor that members shouldn't be contacted directly to post something - more so that people shouldn't be contacted in a negative fashion as bodysnatcher is describing in his original post.
I'm quite happy to post under my own name but, apart from messages of thanks after a particular race meeting, I think it's fairly obvious that my comments are personal and (as the lawyers would say) do not represent the views of any of the clubs that I work with . I'm also pretty careful not to post information that's not freely available from other sources, and I wouldn't go into any detail about any incident, accident, injury or judicial action that I'm involved with. However, posting under my own name is my choice and I respect the right of others to post under pseudonyms and that doesn't, in my view, devalue their contribution. I also have no objection to anybody sending me a PM, which I'll always respond to, even if it's to say that I don't feel I can go into specific detail on the particular subject.
My vote is definitely to keep the forum 'open' and, providing we all treat each other with respect and courtesy, long may it continue.
Old 1 Jun 2006, 15:05 (Ref:1624640)   #55
archaic gold
Veteran

England
Medway
archaic gold should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you John, and well presented!
Gerry
Old 1 Jun 2006, 15:34 (Ref:1624677)   #56
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
John, good post and respect your points

Can see what you see re pseudonyms here....and PMs as well, though the original comment was obviously different.

Thank you for your reply, and to put things from a different angle than mine
Old 1 Jun 2006, 19:52 (Ref:1624887)   #57
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee
I'm quite happy to post under my own name but, apart from messages of thanks after a particular race meeting, I think it's fairly obvious that my comments are personal and (as the lawyers would say) do not represent the views of any of the clubs that I work with . I'm also pretty careful not to post information that's not freely available from other sources, and I wouldn't go into any detail about any incident, accident, injury or judicial action that I'm involved with. However, posting under my own name is my choice and I respect the right of others to post under pseudonyms and that doesn't, in my view, devalue their contribution. I also have no objection to anybody sending me a PM, which I'll always respond to, even if it's to say that I don't feel I can go into specific detail on the particular subject.
My vote is definitely to keep the forum 'open' and, providing we all treat each other with respect and courtesy, long may it continue.

I've been wondering how to respond to this thread and now John has said exactly what I wanted to say but far more eloquently!

Ta John
Old 1 Jun 2006, 21:05 (Ref:1624951)   #58
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
thepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive
Golly, no wonder you hide behind 'the pits' - it should be "Hear! Hear!"

Dont you know nuffink?
Bloody pedants! He posted it Here didn't he?

But don't care.
Old 2 Jun 2006, 06:59 (Ref:1625131)   #59
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Cynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm as guilty as the next person of posting rants without engaging my brain first, and on those occasions I've quite rightly been shot down by the powers that be or people posting on their behalf, so as far as I can see the systems working fine as it is. Should the forum be private? Well, you could argue that as a marshals forum, it should only be open to marshals, but then I've lost counting of the number of posts I've seen from fools who want to be marshals but don't know how to get involved, and that's obviously one benefit we don't want to loose, plus it could set a dangerous precedent for other subforums (racers etc). I say keep it as it is.

Cynic (a.k.a Chris to the world in general, or "oh gawd not 'im" to ThePits).
Old 3 Jun 2006, 21:06 (Ref:1626258)   #60
Jaxs
Racer

Jaxs has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
There are very good reasons for not using your real name for replies or names of posters. When you see an e mail as .. dot etc not the use of a full stop. it's because a little program used by the Phishers and Phreaks will collect e-mail addies expressed in their normal format, personel info, usually posted on BBS or as they are now known, Forums, ends up on those offers of 1 million e mails adresses.

Ever wonder how anyone has your email address and it suddenly attracts spam.

That's the reason. There are measures being taken by Service Providers but there is still a long way to go. I can understand the need for transparency amongst marshals but the Inernet is still a very strange place.

I've used the same e-mail address for over a decade and my e-mails were reaching 60k per year befor the service provider took any action and I don't use MS Outlook Grim, too many loopholes and traces.

whilst it may be confusing, pen names, pseudonyms etc are the way to go.

Phishers, do exactly that Phish for e mail addresses

Phreaks wil use any info to gain acess, to your computer to use as a way station, normally Broadband, it's easier.then dial up.
Old 3 Jun 2006, 21:33 (Ref:1626287)   #61
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynic
Cynic (a.k.a Chris to the world in general, or "oh gawd not 'im" to ThePits).
Don't you mean "Oh gawd, not him AGAIN"?

But don't care.