Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Nov 2013, 17:57 (Ref:3335276)   #1
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gary Anderson

Just caught the last session of wet practice on BBC and what an absolute joy Gary Anderson is to listen to. His short, succinct and extremely informative insights into the nuances of a modern day F1 car are an absolute gem. He presumes nothing of the viewer and explains away the workings of next year's turbo and in the next breath gives an insight into the fine art of tyre temperature monitoring and setup differences between left and front wheels whilst maintaining that he has very little up to date knowledge of F1 cars! He has been a revelation since joining the BBC team.
Old 22 Nov 2013, 18:01 (Ref:3335278)   #2
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Completely agree, infact I think the BBC line up is pretty much spot on.
Old 22 Nov 2013, 19:16 (Ref:3335326)   #3
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Met him quite a few years back at the Festival of Speed and I was fortunate enough to speak to him briefly and in a typically non condescending way he explained the underfloor aerodynamics of the then Jordan F1 car and the way in which the airflow was influenced by the front wing design. He really is a mine of information. The BBC struck gold when they signed him up.
Old 22 Nov 2013, 20:29 (Ref:3335354)   #4
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Gary Anderson does a very good job. Its also interesting that we have at least 6 ex Jordan people who have covered F1 in the UK. David Coultard is about the only current interloper.
Old 22 Nov 2013, 21:12 (Ref:3335369)   #5
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Met him in the pitlane last year during the very wet qualifying session at Silverstone, he was a real down to earth nice bloke. and he comes across as such on the tv - one of the best bits of the BBC coverage imo
Old 22 Nov 2013, 21:17 (Ref:3335372)   #6
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I couldn't agree more, and was glad to see a thread on here of similarly minded people. His chats are one of the main reasons I still watch the practices, particularly rain filled ones. They are usually on in the middle of the night here, so sitting in doors watching them the next day on a sunny Saturday takes a particular kind of crazy.

Gary's stories of the 'old' days are always good, and I like that he is honest about how he see's next years cars as a potential missed opportunity, but is open minded enough to look positively on them and see where they take us.
Old 23 Nov 2013, 00:59 (Ref:3335453)   #7
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
yep, i find him absolutely fascinating too. he goes into just enough detail but not too much, and i'm sure the purists think that he's talking rubbish but they can go whistle. he alone in a single sentence knocks sky's entire coverage into a cocked hat.

massive fair play to auntie for spotting a rough diamond and picking him up.
Old 23 Nov 2013, 07:09 (Ref:3335544)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
He is very good, for all the reasons stated above. You can even put up with James Allen on Five Live Extra when Gary's there to provide the technical support. I think the producers recognised a problem with his accent because when he first started it was difficult to understand him. Do you think they have a special mic for him?
Old 23 Nov 2013, 12:50 (Ref:3335652)   #9
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I still cherish last year's (?) Monaco Grand Prix.

Ben: "How wet is it, Gary?"

Gary: "Wet enough."

And you knew EXACTLY what he meant.
Old 23 Nov 2013, 12:53 (Ref:3335653)   #10
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, he is excllent, the BBC team is way ahead of the Sky team who seem to have far too many folk.
By the way who are the BBC practice commentators? There is even a different girl doing the interviews. Just wondered why they need these extra folk whne the main team are there.
Old 23 Nov 2013, 13:03 (Ref:3335658)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Jennie Gow, James Allen, and Gary usually.
Old 23 Nov 2013, 13:41 (Ref:3335664)   #12
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Lee McKenzie was poorly yesterday which is why Jennie Gow stepped up.
Old 23 Nov 2013, 13:56 (Ref:3335667)   #13
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i know i need to get out more but it's really bugging me that ben edwards (and christian horner!) can't say kvyat yet!
Old 23 Nov 2013, 14:59 (Ref:3335675)   #14
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Meh, still would much rather have Ted Kravitz. Informative and entertaining
Old 23 Nov 2013, 17:22 (Ref:3335714)   #15
alan1302
Racer

England
Doncaster, UK
alan1302 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm in the Gary Anderson fan club as well. Very knowledgeable and able to put that across easily and without lots of waffle.
Old 23 Nov 2013, 17:46 (Ref:3335721)   #16
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Manages to play the "I've done this" game without sounding like a pompous eejit too. Unlike one of his colleagues.
Old 23 Nov 2013, 17:56 (Ref:3335724)   #17
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I remember running around smug as you like playing the 'man in the know' telling everyone how useless Anderson is as a pundit, that all you'd hear was disjointed mumbling, which is all I heard on his stint with Irish TV.

My, Anderson made a fool out of me. He's been a revelation at the BBC, old school, no nonsense, clear as a button, in total command of his material. He's blossomed there and he's a great addition to that team. I think he's fantastic.
Old 23 Nov 2013, 18:13 (Ref:3335732)   #18
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
And to think I was in a minority! It's good to hear other like minded admirers, I felt somewhat foolish starting this thread to express my sentiments but it seems justified.
Old 23 Nov 2013, 18:16 (Ref:3335733)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Absolutely. He's been an excellent addition to the commentary team.
Old 23 Nov 2013, 18:42 (Ref:3335741)   #20
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
True story:

My wife asked me today if I wanted to watch practice, not on Sky was my
reply. No she said it's on the BBC. In that case I said I'll watch it because Gary Anderson will be on it.
Old 23 Nov 2013, 18:43 (Ref:3335742)   #21
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they had the option of getting Brundle back but losing Anderson, I'd say sorry Martin...
Old 23 Nov 2013, 19:24 (Ref:3335757)   #22
andy666
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
andy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridandy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Gary Anderson , informative , clear and concise . His articles on the BBC F1 site are great .
Old 23 Nov 2013, 22:12 (Ref:3335815)   #23
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Can't disagree with much of the above......he seems a really grounded, yet immensely well-informed, guy. You get the feeling you'd like to buy him a pint and have a chat.....
Old 23 Nov 2013, 22:48 (Ref:3335822)   #24
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The man is a star. For all the reasons already mentioned. I just wish he would not start every answer by repeating the question.
Old 23 Nov 2013, 22:57 (Ref:3335825)   #25
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for that. Who is Jenny Gow?