Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 24 Aug 2012, 19:47 (Ref:3124252)   #1876
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
As expected, Oak will return to P1 in time for Fuji and Shanghai - the Judd will be replaced by HPD powerplant(!).
There was a rumour about this floating around beforehand. And obviously when I asked the team on Twitter earlier this afternoon, they denied it... up until the announcement.
Old 24 Aug 2012, 19:54 (Ref:3124255)   #1877
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
There was a rumour about this floating around beforehand.
Yes I know
Old 24 Aug 2012, 19:57 (Ref:3124258)   #1878
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Thanks for making me look smart to OAK's Twitter PR person.
Old 24 Aug 2012, 22:24 (Ref:3124328)   #1879
kober
Racer

kober should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was under impression that HPD engines are out of one's reach unless they run HPD chassis. And now OAK had secured such a deal. I just wonder, why Pescarolo weren't able to acquire the engine for their 03, earlier in the year.
Old 25 Aug 2012, 08:49 (Ref:3124437)   #1880
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by kober View Post
I was under impression that HPD engines are out of one's reach unless they run HPD chassis. And now OAK had secured such a deal. I just wonder, why Pescarolo weren't able to acquire the engine for their 03, earlier in the year.
Henri Pescarolo has said earlier that the HPD engine is way too expensive for him to run.
Old 25 Aug 2012, 09:38 (Ref:3124458)   #1881
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I was always under the impression they were available , as they said they would be available from the beginning .

This doesnt surprise me at all . In fact , I was miffed that nobody did it sooner ............
Old 25 Aug 2012, 09:44 (Ref:3124460)   #1882
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Anyone think that OAK are emerging as the prime candidates for a manufacturer link-up if a new one were to come along?
Old 25 Aug 2012, 11:16 (Ref:3124490)   #1883
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The chassis are just modified Courages anyway, so I guess that HPD doesn't care that much about the chassis, as long as they can sell engines.
Old 25 Aug 2012, 11:18 (Ref:3124492)   #1884
ep16
Rookie

ep16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS" View Post
The chassis are just modified Courages anyway, so I guess that HPD doesn't care that much about the chassis, as long as they can sell engines.
...and the servicing and rebuilds that goes with them
Old 25 Aug 2012, 11:22 (Ref:3124494)   #1885
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS" View Post
This is an often mistaken opinion.
The Pescarolo 01 is a new chassis. Which is clearly visible on the double roll hoops. But Pescarolo used design elements from the Courage chassis in the 01 design.
Old 25 Aug 2012, 14:28 (Ref:3124568)   #1886
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
The LMP2 engines were certainly never exclusively available as a package with the ARX chassis- RML & Mike Newton ran a Lola-HPD in Europe back in 2010:
http://www.racingsportscars.com/phot...-09-12-025.jpg

As The Badger said though, it's surprising that no-one (as far as we know!) has tried to obtain the P1 HPD motor to put into an alternative chassis until now- maybe that's what's given rise to the idea it was only available as a complete car+engine package....
Old 25 Aug 2012, 14:59 (Ref:3124584)   #1887
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
DS, the Acura/HPD hasn't been a modified Courage/Lola since the first generation(s) of the ARX-01. For 2008, the Acuras, at best, had about as much to do with those other chasses as the Reynards Penske ran in CART by the time he was finished modifying them. The Acura ARX-02a and HPD ARX-03 are clean-sheet designs in their own right. (I just can't remember at exactly what stage Wirth got involved in the project.)
Old 25 Aug 2012, 19:30 (Ref:3124705)   #1888
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Possible expansion to ten rounds for next year (as per John Dagys on Speed.com) - not sure if that's a smart idea, adding more costs to an already not terribly well subscribed and crazy expensive series.
Old 25 Aug 2012, 19:36 (Ref:3124709)   #1889
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Possible expansion to ten rounds for next year (as per John Dagys on Speed.com) - not sure if that's a smart idea, adding more costs to an already not terribly well subscribed and crazy expensive series.
What you're not thrilled by the "exciting new venues" coming next year?
Old 25 Aug 2012, 19:38 (Ref:3124711)   #1890
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
As per copy-paste

Quote:
2013 SCHEDULE UPDATE — SPEED.com has learned that FIA WEC organizers are aiming to release the 2013 calendar next month during the Six Hours of Sao Paulo round. Word in the paddock is that Brazil could kick off next year's schedule, which may see as many as 10 rounds, with the possible inclusions of Russia’s Moscow Raceway and Buddh International Circuit in India.
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...tone-notebook/
Old 25 Aug 2012, 19:44 (Ref:3124712)   #1891
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What I find more interesting is the rumour that Brazil will kick-off the schedule in 2013, if so then bye-bye Sebring.

Buddh IMHO is a fantastic circuit, but Moscow Raceway is Hermann Tilke's answer to the Hungaroring.
Old 25 Aug 2012, 19:47 (Ref:3124713)   #1892
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEED TV / John Dagys
Word in the paddock is that Brazil could kick off next year's schedule, which may see as many as 10 rounds, with the possible inclusions of Russia’s Moscow Raceway and Buddh International Circuit in India.

Unneeded... and as expected possibly to circuits with least amount of soul yet plenty of cash offerings. What they really should do is get rid of Le Mans as a championship round, not only would that decrease the costs (though admittely majority of the entrans would still request an entry) but also eliminate the stupid auto-entry / cash-in crap and give bigger full season championship grid as the entry limit wouldn't have to be around that idiotic 30 any longer. Also less flyaway races in Asia and oil countries, more on places with actual relevance - ie Europe and NA. Current climate isn't sustainable enough for the current format

Also change the regular race format to 500km, there is no real need for anything else. Couple of longer enduros on top of those.

e - Mr Chandhok is probably filling FIA's pockets with cash right now as we speak. At least that's what he happens to mention on every interview he does, ie that we really need to race in India

Last edited by Deleted; 25 Aug 2012 at 19:55.
Old 25 Aug 2012, 19:53 (Ref:3124714)   #1893
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they're aiming for new venues like Russia and India, they should race there for 3 Hours since there's no one who will stay there and watch the race for 6 hours.

Let the established venues like Spa, Silverstone, or Sebring (if that one is included for next year) should race for 6 hours and above.
Old 25 Aug 2012, 19:53 (Ref:3124715)   #1894
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Also change the regular race format to 500km, there is no real need for anything else. Couple of longer enduros on top of those
I agree with this, but we better run and hide now...
Old 25 Aug 2012, 19:55 (Ref:3124717)   #1895
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
Without Sebring the WEC would start to look a bit like Indycar, one epic, International event with over 200,000 spectators and worldwide television interest, a couple of decent events ie Long Beach/Texas and Spa/Fuji and then a bunch of races that hardly anybody attends and has even worse television interest.
Old 25 Aug 2012, 20:51 (Ref:3124724)   #1896
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
Without Sebring the WEC would start to look a bit like Indycar, one epic, International event with over 200,000 spectators and worldwide television interest, a couple of decent events ie Long Beach/Texas and Spa/Fuji and then a bunch of races that hardly anybody attends and has even worse television interest.
I agree, the EVENTS are always more important for me than any championship (Le Mans, Sebring, PLM, Daytona, Long Beach etc). But unfortunately I think the Sebring separation will happen nevertheless what we hope... and the rest are too far reach, as much as I'd love PLM to be there, ALMS needs space too and frankly it is their event. And Le Mans, well, I stated my opinion about that in regard to the world championship.

Semi sensible calendar
World Sportscar Championship

Apr Fuji 500km (integrated with Asian Le Mans Series)
Apr Monza 500km (// Euro LMP Trophy)
May Spa 1000km (// Euro LMP Trophy)
*LM break*
Jul Paul Ricard 500km (// Euro LMP Trophy)
Jul Silverstone 500km (// Euro LMP Trophy)
Aug Nurburgring 1000km (// Euro LMP Trophy)
Sep Montreal 500km
Sep Laguna Seca 500km
Nov Mil Milhas 1000 miles

* Euro LMP Trophy would be an internal mini-champ for European LMP2 teams, because they need some place to run. This would replace ELMS entirely and boost European grids

Ricard round could be cut off if needed. It wouldn't be my dream schedule by a long shot, but rather more effective
Old 25 Aug 2012, 21:00 (Ref:3124728)   #1897
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
As hard as it is to say, I think Sebring was more of a limiting factor on championship entries than Le Mans. They could now, realistically, set the full-season WEC entry limit at 35 or 40, and still have a decent number of slots for the ALMS teams that come over for Le Mans. I have my doubts of there actually being a separate ELMS in 2013, and AsLMS is a non-factor in my mind at this stage.

I have to agree about the Hungaroring parallel with Moscow Raceway, though maybe they wouldn't run the extra little chicane at the end of the one "straight", unlike the formula cars that have run there already.

I'll take India over Bahrain, and perhaps Abu Dhabi and Shanghai as well. I don't care for those ugly, unnecessary, and useless wide entries to Turns 3, 4, 16, but Buddh Int'l Circuit has a decent lap length (not terribly short or ultra long), nice elevation changes, some tricky corners, and that Turn 10/11 sequence is a real signature and memorable corner at that track.

If I had free reign the schedule, it would be something like this:
1. Monza 1000km (WEC/ELMS)
2. Spa 1000km (WEC/ELMS)
3. Le Mans 24 Hours (WEC/ELMS)
4. Silverstone 6 Hours (WEC/ELMS)
5. Road America 500 Miles (WEC/ALMS)
6. Montreal 800km (WEC/ALMS)
7. Interlagos 800km (WEC with open invites for Brazilian GT3)
8. Fuji 1000km (WEC/SuperGT GT300)
9. Buddh 800km (WEC with open invites for Asian GT3)
10. Shanghai 6 Hours (WEC with open invites for Asian GT3)
Old 25 Aug 2012, 21:01 (Ref:3124730)   #1898
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Too bad none of us control the ACO, WEC, or Le Mans. Unfortunately, they are going where the money is but I have a question. Wouldn't they get more money from TV contracts if they raced in NA, EU, and Japan?
Old 25 Aug 2012, 21:07 (Ref:3124735)   #1899
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
IF they can get major TV contracts.
Old 25 Aug 2012, 21:08 (Ref:3124736)   #1900
Deleted
Veteran

Now, this is is how I actually see the 2013 calendar to turn up

6 Hours of Interlagos
6 Hours of Circuit of the Americas
6 Hours of Spa
24 Hours of Le Mans
6 hours of Silverstone
6 hours of Bahrain
6 hours of Moscow (or TBA until one week before the event)
6 hours of Fuji
6 hours of Shanghai / Zhuhai / whatever steril venue
6 hours of Buddh