Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 20 Oct 2006, 13:33 (Ref:1743155)   #1
StephenRae
Veteran

Wales
North West
StephenRae should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FF1600 Website situation (was Festival Reports)

About 30 minutes since the end of the second qualifying session and a mini report and results are already available on this site. Nothing on Kevin Shortis' site and nothing on MST. Keep up the good work Ian.
Old 20 Oct 2006, 13:41 (Ref:1743160)   #2
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenRae
About 30 minutes since the end of the second qualifying session and a mini report and results are already available on this site. Nothing on Kevin Shortis' site and nothing on MST. Keep up the good work Ian.
Well said that man.

Good for those of us who can't get there.
Old 20 Oct 2006, 15:58 (Ref:1743262)   #3
Steve Lowdon
Racer

England
Bracknell,Berkshire
Steve Lowdon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Done Ian,just had a read...........looking forward to Sunday
Old 24 Oct 2006, 16:59 (Ref:1747836)   #4
heel'n'toe-no
Veteran

United Kingdom
Albrighton, Shropshire
heel'n'toe-no has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I am assuming this thread refers to a certain website that specializes in all things formula ford in the UK? If so, I think it's a blooming shame it isn't going to be updated anymore after the WHT despite numerous approaches from concerned individuals who have offered to maintain the site and keep the information rolling.
Old 24 Oct 2006, 17:33 (Ref:1747868)   #5
Steve Lowdon
Racer

England
Bracknell,Berkshire
Lee,here here
Old 24 Oct 2006, 19:44 (Ref:1748016)   #6
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by heel'n'toe-no
I am assuming this thread refers to a certain website that specializes in all things formula ford in the UK? If so, I think it's a blooming shame it isn't going to be updated anymore after the WHT despite numerous approaches from concerned individuals who have offered to maintain the site and keep the information rolling.
Having been involved with the site in question (and it's predecessor) for the past 2 years, I think perhaps the 'concerned individuals' may not be aware of exactly how much work goes in to produce the quality of coverage the site delivers. Aside from general newsgathering and reporting, there's accreditation letters to write, photographers and reporters to organise for events, editorials to write etc - it's a time consuming project to manage properly. And to do it all for no financial reward. Personally I would rather see the site end on a high than watch it descend into insignificance once the novelty wears off. If the 'concerned individuals' are so concerned about losing it, why don't they set their own up, using this one as a template? IMHO I suspect they may not be so concerned once they realise what's involved
Old 25 Oct 2006, 08:58 (Ref:1748613)   #7
heel'n'toe-no
Veteran

United Kingdom
Albrighton, Shropshire
heel'n'toe-no has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubble
Having been involved with the site in question (and it's predecessor) for the past 2 years, I think perhaps the 'concerned individuals' may not be aware of exactly how much work goes in to produce the quality of coverage the site delivers. Aside from general newsgathering and reporting, there's accreditation letters to write, photographers and reporters to organise for events, editorials to write etc - it's a time consuming project to manage properly. And to do it all for no financial reward. Personally I would rather see the site end on a high than watch it descend into insignificance once the novelty wears off. If the 'concerned individuals' are so concerned about losing it, why don't they set their own up, using this one as a template? IMHO I suspect they may not be so concerned once they realise what's involved
Phil, it would appear that you are saying Nothing is better than something, whereas I firmly believe that something is better than nothing.

As a driver and having spoken to many other drivers about the sites end it would appear that it is used an information point, visited by many at least a couple of times a day to see whats going on in the world of Formula Ford.

I don't think anyone has ever questioned the quality of the editorials or images used on the site, so that is not the issue here. I believe the only issue is - keeping it going. It is common knowledge now by all that read the site that it's time is coming to an end. All the concerned individuals are saying is why not pass it on? It's just a website domain name currently stored somewhere. I know a few places that could store it. It would just come down to getting the information to the people that want and need it, namely those involved in the formula and those that follow it.

I'm sure that given time the look or Brand would evolve and cease looking like it does at present but this can only happen if the reigns are passed on to someone else to continue the site.I have yet to hear a compelling arguement why this can not be so.....or am I missing something?

The readership already know the site address, it has aquired a good rating from the search engines and as such more people will be able to find it without actually knowing the sites address. A new site would not have the same hit rate for a long time.

What is the real issue here.....Why not allow it to continue with the current look and domain name?
Old 25 Oct 2006, 09:11 (Ref:1748631)   #8
Steve Lowdon
Racer

England
Bracknell,Berkshire
Lee,once again i agree,the interest is already there & as you say,i would think all of us look at it at least twice a day to see whats going on.
I can't see the point of just saying lets end it,if there is someone prepared to continue with the site then i believe the best thing for the current contributors to do is hand it over,it's a great little site & i see NO need for it to end.
Old 25 Oct 2006, 09:31 (Ref:1748662)   #9
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Just a note guys - while your points are well made, it is always totally up to whoever runs a site as to how they dispose of it if they no longer want to keep it up.

I realise at at least one of the site owners reads this forum, but perhaps you'd be better addressing your comments to the site owners directly rather than debating it here. I'm sure if they wanted a public debate over the disposition of the site, they'd organise one.

I don't have an issue with this thread incidentally - I just wonder if it might be counterproductive if you're trying to arrange a transfer of ownership.
Old 25 Oct 2006, 10:29 (Ref:1748746)   #10
Walshy
Veteran

England
Lancashire
Walshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilPumpkin
Just a note guys - while your points are well made, it is always totally up to whoever runs a site as to how they dispose of it if they no longer want to keep it up.

I realise at at least one of the site owners reads this forum, but perhaps you'd be better addressing your comments to the site owners directly rather than debating it here. I'm sure if they wanted a public debate over the disposition of the site, they'd organise one.

I don't have an issue with this thread incidentally - I just wonder if it might be counterproductive if you're trying to arrange a transfer of ownership.
Not sure I agree with you there EP.

This is an open forum as I was led to believe and as such, issues that are common knowledge are open to discussion on such forums. Regardless of who it involves or doesn't involve.

I agree with your point that it is up to those that run the site, what happens to it in future, but we don't want this "it's my ball and I'm taking it home" scenario.

Granted, the content 'MAY' not be as good as it is currently, but is it not reasonable to assume it could be even better?

And if it proves that it isn't as good, then at least the current contributors can say "It's not as good as when we did it" and revel in the glow of that.
But to just take it away from the masses would be a little harsh. And I have already spoken to those that contribute, so they are aware of my opinion on this.

That said, this could all just be conjecture and there may not be anyone who wants to take over the helm.

But rather than wind-up a great thing, at least give it a chance to evolve. Whether it be for better or for worse, only time will tell.......
Old 25 Oct 2006, 10:49 (Ref:1748783)   #11
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
As I said, no issue with the thread - just advising you that if it antagonises those involved with the site, they may be even more disinclined to consider a handover, that's all.
Old 25 Oct 2006, 12:23 (Ref:1748916)   #12
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't have a problem with responding here.

The first thing to note is that yes, I 'own' FF1600.co.uk and therefore it is, as someone put it, my ball to take away should I want to.

It isn't a question of that, though. Neither I nor anyone else has an obligation to manage a website of this kind; I have chosen - after two really, really good years - that I don't have the time to any more. It is worth pointing out that my overall support for and commitment to FF1600 is undimmed.

Over the past two years (well, just over 18 months really - people managed the transition for clubff1600.co.uk quite easily and awareness grew and grew as the product improved) the FF1600.co.uk 'brand', through the graft of myself, Matt Beer and others, has evolved into something very strong. It is my firm belief that I am entitled to do what I wish with that.

Clearly, many people would like myself to continue with the website or to take it over or assist in some way. I take that as a great credit, because it means that the product is one that will be badly missed should it not continue.

However, as the brand is mine to 'sell' then I am entitled to choose who I would like to 'sell' it to. Just as if it was any other piece of my property. My views are clear on this. If FF1600.co.uk were to continue, it would need to continue to the same standard. The editorial values would need to be as high, and therefore someone experienced as an editor and sub-editor would need to be very, very heavily involved. All FF1600 championships in the UK and Ireland would need to be covered to equivalent levels - this is very important. So you need an extensive and reliable contributor network - and bear in mind that a good chunk of the English and Irish contributors to FF1600.co.uk won't be available in 2007 and that isn't as easy as you might think, but it is not insurmountable.

If someone can demonstrate to me (by contacting me privately) that they have the experience and infrastructure in place to do all that, then I will be pleased to consider passing over the rights and access to FF1600.co.uk. If nobody can, then it will remain as a fantastic archive of well over a thousand pages of information on FF1600 from the last two seasons. We will ensure that everything is appropriately backed up. Personally, I consider that to be a great legacy.

If there are people willing to give their time to maintaining a website about FF1600, then there is nothing I can do to stop them - nor would I. I would willingly place a link to it from FF1600.co.uk. It might be another web address to learn, but people have done it before so I am sure that they could do it again. But the differentiation between that and FF1600.co.uk is important to me. And of course, I acknowledge that someone else could do it better than we have...

One final point. The majority of the championships already have their own websites that are maintained (to a lesser or greater extent) by those involved in the running thereof. Perhaps competitors and other interested parties could exert some pressure on the relevant people to get those updated more regularly, where necessary. Perhaps someone could sort a portal of some kind to allow easy access to all of these sites from a central location. (Thinking about it, I will put these links on the FF1600.co.uk page anyway.)

So there we go. Yes, I am sorry that I am not going to be continuing with FF1600.co.uk but it is a decision I have had to reach after due consideration. If the FF1600-loving public want continued coverage, they know what they have to do.
Old 25 Oct 2006, 12:57 (Ref:1748950)   #13
Point-5
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
Point-5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
www.ff1600.net

www.ff1600.info

www.ff1600.org

www.ff1600.biz

All are available at about 5 quid a year.

I don't see what the big issue is, if anyone else wants to run a similar website to the current one then register one of those names and off ya go!

People will take about 5 seconds to get used to the new address
Old 25 Oct 2006, 13:49 (Ref:1749015)   #14
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
guys - you've all been given a valid option here. Get a group together that can do the work (edit the reports - write the reports, take the photographs, co-ordinate the efforts) and mail Ian and Matt explaining your plan and then give a small demo of the writing standard - talk it through with Ian / Matt find out what needs to happen to make a report that you didn't even know goes on and sort out if you feel you can commit to it.

Ian's stated that the site can continue, so instead of looking at alternatives and other sites etc etc build on whats there - if your lacking in an area find out what and how to address it. I'm sure the current editors will offer advice / guidence and give honest views on what can go wrong
Old 7 Nov 2006, 18:21 (Ref:1760207)   #15
Redracer77
Veteran

Redracer77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have we seen the end of FF1600.co.uk now......

Ian, what is the news on a) any future updates or editorials b) have you passed it on to anyboby yet?
Old 7 Nov 2006, 18:35 (Ref:1760221)   #16
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
gotta be a notepad surely?
Old 7 Nov 2006, 18:49 (Ref:1760228)   #17
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There's a gallery, an editorial, some TV times... probably not a notepad as such, given that only myself and Matt were covering it. Perhaps one or two other bits and pieces as well.

I'm more than happy to hear any proposals for continuing with the existing site; I have laid down elsewhere what I need to see in them in order for them to be considered.
Old 7 Nov 2006, 21:07 (Ref:1760323)   #18
JnrJnr
Racer

England
North West
JnrJnr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whatever happens to the site, I think Ian and everyone involved have been particularly efficient this time.... It will have been a huge task to get all those reports online so quick and reading so well. Thanks to all involved.

I must have read each of the reports about 3 times now, trying to re live the fun I had at the weekend! Absolutely fantastic. And to think we nearly parked it on Saturday night!
Old 8 Nov 2006, 08:59 (Ref:1760638)   #19
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
I've moved some posts from other threads in here to try and keep them all together.
Old 13 Nov 2006, 12:23 (Ref:1764915)   #20
Steve Lowdon
Racer

England
Bracknell,Berkshire
Ian,may i ask,have any decisions been made with the FF1600 site,is it likely to continue under another guise,whats the latest.
Old 13 Nov 2006, 12:30 (Ref:1764919)   #21
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A proposal has been made on behalf of the owners of Ten-Tenths to Ian to take over the FF1600.co.uk website.

For various reasons this proposal has been rejected. The principal one being that Ian feels we would not be able to maintain the high standards of the existing website.

We therefore intend to put together our own Formula Ford reporting site covering the various championships in a similar manner.

This site will be separate from Ten-Tenths and will have its own domain name and staff, however it will benefit from the same hardware infrastructure and operational model as Ten-Tenths.

At the moment we are in the process of contacting potential reporters and other interested parties.

If anyone has any specific questions regarding this project then please feel free to pm me.
Old 13 Nov 2006, 12:54 (Ref:1764945)   #22
Ian Sowman
Veteran

In response to Steve, MagnetON is correct that a proposal was made by Royalridge (i.e. owners of TT) and that unfortunately I chose not to accept it. Any publication needs to have certain quality control procedures; unfortunately the proposal received did not demonstrate that this could be adhered to. The informal feedback I have had is that those putting forward the proposal acknowledged and understood these weaknesses.

From all of the discussions that I have had, it did not seem probable that any party would come forward that would be able to meet this requirement in particular.

I welcome the efforts that a new team are putting in to a new venture, and I wish them every success.
Old 13 Nov 2006, 13:07 (Ref:1764955)   #23
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sowman
There's a gallery, an editorial, some TV times...
How much longer for the editorial?
Old 13 Nov 2006, 13:15 (Ref:1764964)   #24
Steve Lowdon
Racer

England
Bracknell,Berkshire
But Ian,are you still wishing to stay involved with this new site or are you looking to walk away from it altogether.
Old 13 Nov 2006, 13:15 (Ref:1764965)   #25
Ian Sowman
Veteran

It might be tonight, not sure yet.