Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 28 Apr 2011, 21:11 (Ref:2871500)   #1376
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
I replayed the video numerous times and I still don't see it. Either it is my eyes or my computer screen... Are you sure it is not the track or the shadow of the car?
There is no smoke, what so ever.
Only thing i see is a little bit of dust from the track.
Old 28 Apr 2011, 21:13 (Ref:2871501)   #1377
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Audi Racer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
I replayed the video numerous times and I still don't see it. Either it is my eyes or my computer screen... Are you sure it is not the track or the shadow of the car?
the tailpipes are on top of the engine cover. Its not something you can mistake for a shadow. Watch it in 480p as thats the best it will go in youtube.

check this one out its easy to see against the sky under the dunlop bridge

at 2:10 http://youtu.be/fIf8BpUx7qo?hd=1
Old 28 Apr 2011, 21:13 (Ref:2871502)   #1378
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi Racer View Post
keep in mind that the tailpipes are under the rear wing not on the sidepods like last year. look right there. its obvious and that a lot of smoke
So obvious you're having to point out where the exhaust is! I'm not making this up, I can't see it, even in 480p. Sorry.
Old 28 Apr 2011, 21:15 (Ref:2871505)   #1379
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
So the vote is 3-2 for no smoke

BTW I also watched in 480p on a 1680*1050 laptop screen.
Quote:

I posted a link to that video on the forum 2 days ago
Quote:
Video report by Peugeot Sport: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xif...pril-2011_auto

Acid09 claimed that the new 908 does not smoke under heavy acceleration:
Look at the video around 2:10 min
Remember how I started the whole discussion:
Quote:
@chernaudi: Your Audi fanboyism is clouding your judgement. In the Peugeot Sport video about the Le Mans test day, there is only one moment where a light mist of smoke is visible. However, on the Sebring test footage the R18 is smoking very badly on a number of shots; see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9e15hs_T0k#t=1m22s.

Last edited by gwyllion; 28 Apr 2011 at 21:24.
Old 28 Apr 2011, 21:19 (Ref:2871511)   #1380
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Hurrah, even you aren't imagining that one!
Old 28 Apr 2011, 21:24 (Ref:2871515)   #1381
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Only suggestion I have left is to watch it in wide screen. I can't see it being entirely dust, because there's no gravel pits in that area of the track (someone would have to have gone really wide to have brought a lot of dirt on to the racing line), and the coloring of whatever it is is a greyish mist. And it still seems to be coming out above the rear deck, and I didn't see any other vehicle make that much smoke in that area.

Either way, it happens with both the R18 and the 908 going from low or partial load to wide open or a very open throttle, as I've read that both cars emit little to no smoke at sustained wide open throttle, with oddly the 908 being reported as being marginally (key word being marginal, as in barely) worse down the Mulsanne at full throttle, where it would seem that it wouldn't be the case.

And I have a question about a statement that Audi made since the exhaust is the topic at hand. The press release said that noise is wasted power/energy. Isn't that sort of a contradiction? I'd think that more noise would mean a less restrictive exhaust, even on a turbo engine. And less restiction means more power.

Could there being one particle filter/one pipe for two engine banks mean more stuff being blown out the exhaust, and a sign that there's a lot of back pressure possibly?
Old 28 Apr 2011, 21:29 (Ref:2871521)   #1382
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Only suggestion I have left is to watch it in wide screen. I can't see it being entirely dust, because there's no gravel pits in that area of the track (someone would have to have gone really wide to have brought a lot of dirt on to the racing line), and the coloring of whatever it is is a greyish mist. And it still seems to be coming out above the rear deck, and I didn't see any other vehicle make that much smoke in that area.
The car passing at 4:51 kicks up a lot of dust.

You can not deny that the R18 is a lot worse on the Sebring video. There are a lot of moments where a constant plume of smoke is visible (rather high) behind the R18 for a long period of time.
Old 28 Apr 2011, 21:34 (Ref:2871527)   #1383
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I'm bored.

Look there!
Attached Thumbnails
22011LeManstestday.jpg  
Old 28 Apr 2011, 21:37 (Ref:2871528)   #1384
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
That looks a lot like this picture of the old 908 last year: http://www.mulsannescorner.com/Peuge...10kerblamo.jpg
Old 28 Apr 2011, 21:38 (Ref:2871529)   #1385
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Only thing i see is a little bit of dust from the track.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
So obvious you're having to point out where the exhaust is! I'm not making this up, I can't see it, even in 480p. Sorry.
Quote:
So the vote is 3-2 for no smoke

BTW I also watched in 480p on a 1680*1050 laptop screen.
I posted a link to that video on the forum 2 days ago

Remember how I started the whole discussion:

i s
Old 28 Apr 2011, 21:40 (Ref:2871532)   #1386
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
That looks a lot like this picture of the old 908 last year: http://www.mulsannescorner.com/Peuge...10kerblamo.jpg
Old 28 Apr 2011, 21:49 (Ref:2871536)   #1387
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post

Either way, it happens with both the R18 and the 908 going from low or partial load to wide open or a very open throttle, as I've read that both cars emit little to no smoke at sustained wide open throttle, with oddly the 908 being reported as being marginally (key word being marginal, as in barely) worse down the Mulsanne at full throttle, where it would seem that it wouldn't be the case.

And I have a question about a statement that Audi made since the exhaust is the topic at hand. The press release said that noise is wasted power/energy. Isn't that sort of a contradiction? I'd think that more noise would mean a less restrictive exhaust, even on a turbo engine. And less restiction means more power.

Could there being one particle filter/one pipe for two engine banks mean more stuff being blown out the exhaust, and a sign that there's a lot of back pressure possibly?

Well let break it down. All things happen because of energy.

Where does sound come from.....Energy
Old 28 Apr 2011, 22:16 (Ref:2871556)   #1388
92scotland
Racer

United Kingdom
92scotland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid92scotland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Look there!
Ten-Tenths should add a 'Like' button! Plus, very realistic photo!!
Old 28 Apr 2011, 22:24 (Ref:2871560)   #1389
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I seen more smoke than that coming from those diesels .

Wonder why Dave Richards or Henri have never protested that point ?
Old 28 Apr 2011, 23:19 (Ref:2871592)   #1390
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I only watched it once and could immediately notice the smoke at 2:10 like a previous poster had said.
Old 29 Apr 2011, 00:10 (Ref:2871598)   #1391
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
the audi engine revealed...http://www.autoblog.com/2011/04/28/a...n-the-new-r18/
Old 29 Apr 2011, 00:20 (Ref:2871599)   #1392
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The bear reports it's possible the R18 will be Audi's last LMP car.
Old 29 Apr 2011, 01:09 (Ref:2871607)   #1393
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMUCarGuy View Post
The bear reports it's possible the R18 will be Audi's last LMP car.
I heard it would be their last....diesel LMP car. Just go back to post #1 to see what started this thread.
Old 29 Apr 2011, 01:50 (Ref:2871611)   #1394
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So the R20 will be hybrid or petrol?
Old 29 Apr 2011, 02:39 (Ref:2871618)   #1395
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchZ06 View Post
So the R20 will be hybrid or petrol?
lol. its a bit too early for that. Murphy says the R18 may be audi's last prototype

I have a feeling that this R18 is in for the long haul.
Old 29 Apr 2011, 02:44 (Ref:2871620)   #1396
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Audi buys Williams, goes to F1?
Old 29 Apr 2011, 02:50 (Ref:2871622)   #1397
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Audi buys Williams, goes to F1?
No. if they cant afford anymore sportscar programs why would they go to F1. As we all know. as of late german manufactureres have taken a beating in F1.

As far as im concerned sports car racing is the way to go. It much more cost effective and is relevant to road cars
Old 29 Apr 2011, 03:01 (Ref:2871624)   #1398
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
No. if they cant afford anymore sportscar programs why would they go to F1. As we all know. as of late german manufactureres have taken a beating in F1.

As far as im concerned sports car racing is the way to go. It much more cost effective and is relevant to road cars

Where was it suggested that they couldn't afford it?
Old 29 Apr 2011, 03:18 (Ref:2871625)   #1399
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pickett said at Sebring that Porsche would be in LMP1 in 2013, so Im wondering whether that has something to do with this.
Old 29 Apr 2011, 03:59 (Ref:2871629)   #1400
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
Pickett said at Sebring that Porsche would be in LMP1 in 2013, so Im wondering whether that has something to do with this.

Actually it would. considering Bernhard and Dumans are still factory porsche drivers...add rockenfeller.

Also volkswagen going to WRC. they have a big platter

“When we press the button we need about two years and that means if in the short future - I’m talking about the next months - we could make a decision we could be there in 2013 but if not we can be there in 2014,” explained Nissen.
thats a quote from volkswagen talking about enterign the wrc.

Could it be.. Audi to WRC(quattro-hello?)it only makes sense

Porsche to P1?
We have to beg porsche to let The Penske boys run this outfit.

I would give an arm and a leg to see those DHL Penske Porsche P1's. sweet nostalgia