Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 2 Mar 2005, 21:56 (Ref:1240526)   #1
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Le Mans, the diesel era?

Once again the diesel rumour is gathering momentum. Courtesy of Motorsport News two major manufacturers have been linked with possible diesel sportscar projects.

Following Peugeots withdrawal from the WRC at the end of this year, Motorsport News suggests the company will return to circuit racing and that a diesel powered Le Mans programme is presently the preferred option. However it isn't clear whether the car would be a prototype or based on the 907 concept car (presumably GT1).

A second article entitled 'Audi keen on diesel' suggests that Audi has refused to rule out running a diesel sportscar this year. Quote Dr.Ullrich "We are looking at all possibilities from the rules of the ACO. From Audi's point of view, it is important that any kind of fuel can be used."

Following Taurus's dabble with diesel, these companies have the financial clout to really explore the potential of diesel in endurance racing. Are we really this close to an 'oil burner' challenging for class honours or overall victory at Le Mans?
Old 2 Mar 2005, 22:05 (Ref:1240532)   #2
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I saw that article as well, I think its only a matter of time before one the big name manufacturers turn's up at Le Mans with a diesel powered car. In fact I expect to see a diesel powered Audi or Peugoet on the grid next maybe as a second string effort at first.
Old 2 Mar 2005, 23:20 (Ref:1240595)   #3
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If one of the big manufacturers can build a Le Mans winning diesel powered car - they'll be able to write themselves a blank cheque. in fact i'd imagine that one of bmw and mercedes worst nightmares is them continuing to be trounced by ferrari in F1, as Audi take the flag in a diesel powered car at Le Mans. Imho of course.
Old 3 Mar 2005, 04:18 (Ref:1240721)   #4
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
The idea of cars racing with Diesel fuel is an interesting proposition. Yet, it really is an unambitious contribution to the automotive propulsion future. Let's face it, fossil fuels are a scarce resource, with increasing demand.
Old 3 Mar 2005, 08:46 (Ref:1240861)   #5
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I did read that rotary engines fuelled by Hydrogen are a good conbination. Not to sure of the reason but I may have something to do with running temp and burn speed. Not sure that I like to idea of 50 pressurised gas tanks racing round a track.
Old 3 Mar 2005, 09:07 (Ref:1240875)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Is the rumour true about a new engine fuelled by a distillation from champagne and merguez mash?

Old 3 Mar 2005, 09:33 (Ref:1240906)   #7
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Green fuel = legs !

Enjoy the Tour de France !
Old 3 Mar 2005, 10:04 (Ref:1240938)   #8
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
Is the rumour true about a new engine fuelled by a distillation from champagne and merguez mash?
I believe the ACO considered granting entry at Le Mans for the MC12 if fuelled as you describe! Unfortunately, the Italians insisted on a distillation of Asti Spumante and Milano Salami mash which the ACO found quite unpalettable.
Old 3 Mar 2005, 10:38 (Ref:1240978)   #9
mmciau
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
mmciau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
I believe the ACO considered granting entry at Le Mans for the MC12 if fuelled as you describe! Unfortunately, the Italians insisted on a distillation of Asti Spumante and Milano Salami mash which the ACO found quite unpalettable.
bentley03,

that stuff is a substitute for sparkling kerosene with garlic impregnated backfires!!!!!

Mike
Old 3 Mar 2005, 12:19 (Ref:1241091)   #10
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

Only partially true. The ACO found the Asti Spumante and Milano Salami acceptable, but this Spumante had too many bubbles and the ACO requested that four be removed.
Old 4 Mar 2005, 16:49 (Ref:1242467)   #11
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
After this diesel period, we will have the bio-ethanol and electrical era, within 30 years ; and it's not science-fiction !
Imagine silent cars at 250km/h diffusing advertising with loud speakers mounted in the current place of radiators !
Old 4 Mar 2005, 17:00 (Ref:1242477)   #12
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope not. Maybe they could play the sound effects of 917's, Matras, DFV's and panoz's. I think that would be better.
Old 4 Mar 2005, 17:49 (Ref:1242508)   #13
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the potential advantages of a diesel engine in sportscar racing definitely warrants its pursuit by a major manufacturer... i think its just a matter of who has more guts and engineering will-power to give it a go first. whoever masters the diesel first will definitely be hard to beat IMO
Old 4 Mar 2005, 23:21 (Ref:1242745)   #14
d-b
Racer

United Kingdom
at home
d-b should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hi there

Diesels have raced at Le Mans before

5 Delettrez Jean & Jacques Delettrez 4395cc 6 cyl diesel
retired 20th hour (ran out of fuel)

1 M.A.P. Le Mans Francois Lacour & Pierre Veyron 9984cc supercharged 4 cyl diesel
retired 7th hour (water leak)

10 Delettrez Jean & Jacques Delettrez 4395cc 6 cyl diesel
retired 24th hour (engine failure) (same car)

12 Delettrez Jean & Jacques Delettrez 4454cc 6 cyl diesel
retired 3rd hour (unknown reason) (same car again)

so they have been there

d-b
Old 4 Mar 2005, 23:28 (Ref:1242749)   #15
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd like to see it happen. Audi may as well do it, they can't possibly tarnish their record much, no matter how badly it failed.
But I suspect it wouldn't fail, audi know how to build engines better than any other sportscar manufacturer at the moment, and Audi have built fast diesel road cars in the past IIRC.

I just hope whatever replaces petrol engines as the standard eventually it sounds at least as good as a petrol engine
Old 5 Mar 2005, 16:02 (Ref:1243394)   #16
John75
Rookie

John75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Taurus Lola was powered by a Diesel last year.
Old 5 Mar 2005, 16:26 (Ref:1243403)   #17
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
... and it was, unfortunately, quite pathetic to see... no offense for the team or the ingeneers, though.
Old 5 Mar 2005, 16:49 (Ref:1243415)   #18
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab
... and it was, unfortunately, quite pathetic to see... no offense for the team or the ingeneers, though.
Can't disagree but it was a brave attempt. Big bucks needed though to produce a realistic diesel challenger. Only a manufacturer could afford the development programme.
Old 5 Mar 2005, 17:32 (Ref:1243433)   #19
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Can't disagree but it was a brave attempt.
Definitely.

Quote:
Big bucks needed though to produce a realistic diesel challenger.
As I understood it, the engine was decent, but the torque was to high for the clutch
Old 5 Mar 2005, 18:15 (Ref:1243459)   #20
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
The car ran quite well at Silverstone LMES and kept my kids entertained for hours. Both of them understood that a black plume of smoke meant that an engine was about to expire and were trying to predict when the number 10 would explode! I chose not to explain until after the race...
Old 5 Mar 2005, 19:39 (Ref:1243514)   #21
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
The sound was poor, tasteless... odd !
Old 5 Mar 2005, 21:21 (Ref:1243613)   #22
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
at LM i thought that the engine sounded really great... it had a snarling, raspy sort of engine note... almost a louder and more aggressive Ferrari 550 sound.
Old 5 Mar 2005, 21:41 (Ref:1243632)   #23
lj79
Veteran

Qatar
lj79 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tblincoe
at LM i thought that the engine sounded really great... it had a snarling, raspy sort of engine note... almost a louder and more aggressive Ferrari 550 sound.

I must have had ear muffs in at the time.

Just replayed it on my home movie, and yep, cant hear it.
Old 9 Mar 2005, 13:19 (Ref:1247673)   #24
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
Mid Beds, "The UK's rubbish dump"
spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was surprised to see on DSC that the Tauraus Lola is still going and has been developed. Did hear on here the team went into recievership, so maybe there trying to go it alone.
Old 9 Mar 2005, 13:24 (Ref:1247682)   #25
TerryC
Racer

United Nations
Shakespeare's County
TerryC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanner
I was surprised to see on DSC that the Tauraus Lola is still going and has been developed. Did hear on here the team went into recievership, so maybe there trying to go it alone.
Same here, I thought the whole project was dead since Tauraus went into administration last Nov...