Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Closed Thread

Old 21 Aug 2012, 00:25 (Ref:3122352)   #1751
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Revhead View Post
New car with the old running gear was 4s a lap quicker than the old ones at ruapuna.
So not full spec and its around half way beteen st and old v8.
So the gap won't be 3s.

What the STs really need to do is cut the wings. On a clean dry track they are boring to watch. Need less grip
Not the races I have watched. Plenty of overtaking.

It's crazy that we still don't have a full-spec TL-X out on track testing then. I can't see how this is going to work well for upcoming races no matter who is running them.
Old 21 Aug 2012, 00:31 (Ref:3122353)   #1752
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Icarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridIcarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
What the STs really need to do is cut the wings.
You presume they are sensitive aerodynamically then.

Quote:
On a clean dry track they are boring to watch. Need less grip
Put some tosspot drivers in. Then they'll be sliding all over the place and driving into each others doors.

You need to learn to watch a lot closer so you can can recognise a car being driven hard and on the limit.
Looks fast = Is slow
Old 21 Aug 2012, 00:49 (Ref:3122358)   #1753
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Mr Revhead has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Lol I am well aware of that icarus. But I'm a diehard race fan. I can recognise it. And its awesome when you get a close bunch doing that. But you don't in STs.
But what the majority of people want to see is hard fought battles. Not a couple off in the distance and a prossesion behind. Which is what happens in the STs unless it either rains.
To the average punter no passing = boring
Old 21 Aug 2012, 01:26 (Ref:3122363)   #1754
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Lol I am well aware of that icarus. But I'm a diehard race fan. I can recognise it. And its awesome when you get a close bunch doing that. But you don't in STs.
But what the majority of people want to see is hard fought battles. Not a couple off in the distance and a prossesion behind. Which is what happens in the STs unless it either rains.
To the average punter no passing = boring
Maybe you've been watching a different series to everyone else...

A good thing about the ST's is that the whole field of drivers is quick, rather than the NZV8's of the last few years where there were a couple of Fords way out front, a small group in the middle fighting amongst themselves and the rest of the field a lap down...
Old 21 Aug 2012, 01:53 (Ref:3122365)   #1755
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Icarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridIcarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
But what the majority of people want to see is hard fought battles. Not a couple off in the distance and a prossesion behind.
You have to ignore the front two. Its like watching TRS. If anyone gets a break it quickly looks bigger than it really is because the cars behind start dropping a couple of tenths each corner defending.
If a car gets wounded and drives defensively they can back a bunch of people up. And once someone behind gets clear they can't magically get faster can they?

Watching the racing there is always battle somewhere to watch. MacLaughlin on Murphy at the last round was awesome
Old 21 Aug 2012, 02:07 (Ref:3122367)   #1756
M Jones
Rookie

M Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really I think its just the Ruapuna layout that causes the races to be a little bit boring. I wish they raced on the original layout, much more entertaining.
Old 21 Aug 2012, 03:14 (Ref:3122377)   #1757
E36ST
Racer

New Zealand
NZ
E36ST should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not what you said in another thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Jones View Post
I can't remember a meeting that I've been to in the last 15+ years at Ruapuna with that many people!!! Awesome stuff
Old 21 Aug 2012, 03:28 (Ref:3122378)   #1758
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Really I think its just the Ruapuna layout that causes the races to be a little bit boring.
Boring, really? It's got everything! You need to be brave (because you're going pretty quick at the end of the straight and you will usually have to out-brake or out-maneuver someone as well as hit your marker), precise (it's a very technical circuit) and in some parts of the track, patient. A cool, capable head is required.

I would have thought all those elements make for some interesting racing, in or out of the car.
Old 21 Aug 2012, 03:35 (Ref:3122379)   #1759
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
If Mr Reid had stuffed J The Blocker Mac in the wall the racing would have been awesome.
Also Jonny Reid would now be the deserved sprint champ

ST race management took steps prior to Manfeild to address that sort of poor behaviour and the racing has been great since

Make the kink before Pothole (fast corner over the back before the hairpin) tighter thereby reducing the speed through Pothole and you'll find the action at the hairpin would be crazy. Big saloons struggle to run close enough together to make the H/Pin enough of an opportunity
Old 21 Aug 2012, 03:39 (Ref:3122380)   #1760
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Um, apart from some rain at manfield and the last race at one of the HD rounds they have been very follow-the-leader
many have commented on it. Just ask around
Old 21 Aug 2012, 03:44 (Ref:3122382)   #1761
M Jones
Rookie

M Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36ST View Post
Not what you said in another thread...
Actually my other post was refering to the crowd being massive. Here I am talking about the track layout. i did enjoy seeing the ST cars race but just felt there was a lack of passing due to the track - a lot of people thought the same thing. I don't think it's got anything to do with the cars.
Old 21 Aug 2012, 05:01 (Ref:3122393)   #1762
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
i did enjoy seeing the ST cars race but just felt there was a lack of passing due to the track - a lot of people thought the same thing. I don't think it's got anything to do with the cars.
unsure about that. first trip to HD was very processional, but the teams managed to work out a few demon tweaks for the return, and there was plenty of action............ i'm sure with the set-up data from Ruapuna, there will be a bunch of teams that can make their car more lively, if/when they head back there.

they just to make them sound angrier and the package would be complete !!
Old 21 Aug 2012, 06:45 (Ref:3122409)   #1763
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Um, apart from some rain at manfield and the last race at one of the HD rounds they have been very follow-the-leader
many have commented on it. Just ask around
almost every Single racing series is follow-the-leader
Old 21 Aug 2012, 06:52 (Ref:3122411)   #1764
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
almost every Single racing series is follow-the-leader
All racing is follow the leader you silly boy. Thats why they call them the leader - because they're leading.
Old 22 Aug 2012, 06:03 (Ref:3122832)   #1765
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus_nz View Post
All racing is follow the leader you silly boy. Thats why they call them the leader - because they're leading.
all except the ones that are against times/points like WRC, Drifting Comps, Drag Racing, Redbull Air-race.. etc
Old 22 Aug 2012, 07:21 (Ref:3122863)   #1766
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would have thought the game was to pass the leader, not follow him.
Old 22 Aug 2012, 08:12 (Ref:3122871)   #1767
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappelli View Post
Would have thought the game was to pass the leader, not follow him.

it usually is! But not in the STs which was my point
Old 22 Aug 2012, 23:47 (Ref:3123275)   #1768
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suspect now that a few of the lads have "scuff marks on their brand new shoes" the elbows will start to come out more and more.

There’s probably also an argument to say that psychologically 16th place feels a hell of a different to 24th….. even if you spell both of them L-A-S-T.

Let’s just hope the Ref understands the difference between a little “tickle up” and an eye-gouge.
Old 23 Aug 2012, 04:32 (Ref:3123346)   #1769
flyingduck
Veteran

flyingduck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chappelli I have to agree that the elbows may come up but I think you will see some major speed differences between some of the new runners in the cars and some of the experienced pilots so I hope those that are a second a lap slower don't get there elbows up to high and ruin others chances.

I do like the rule that the same driver can't start both races will make some interesting calls for the teams on which race the slower driver starts as with the number of Safety cars there has been at the sprint rounds I'm sure a few cats will be among the pigeons.

I would like it if after qualifing each team from pole to last announced the first driver in the first race so some of the lower qualifiers can take advantage of knowing what faster cars are doing.
Old 30 Oct 2012, 21:10 (Ref:3160301)   #1770
Biggy G
Veteran

Biggy G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wondered if any of the Supertourer guys (Mark?) on here might be able to answer a question, are there any plans to introduce the VF Commodore during the 2013 season?

One of the complaints about the old NZV8's was that they were out of date so quickly and hard to make look modern cosmetically. Be great to see the VF introduced as quickly as possible for the series next year.
Old 30 Oct 2012, 22:01 (Ref:3160326)   #1771
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i hear one of the V8SC COTF commodore being tested at the moment (top secret of course) is the VF, so one would expect that the when the VF is released in NZ, our top tier touring car category (the ST's) will match what the dealers are pumping out. Afterall, as far as i am aware the whole concept of the ST's is to be able to bolt on different body panels of similar size cars. I believe this was one of the reasons why the ST's are considered good-to-go for the next 10 years.
Old 31 Oct 2012, 15:26 (Ref:3160647)   #1772
St00ge
Veteran

St00ge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.speedcafe.co.nz/2012/10/3...in-five-years/

Quote:
V8 SuperTourers have made the bold prediction that the unique Kiwi two-make series will become one of the leading Championships in the Southern Hemisphere in five years.

The surprise prediction came from the series chief executive Didier Debae who believes the series can become a touring car superpower that may rival Australia’s V8 Supercar brand.

“Oh, the pinnacle of motorsport in the Southern Hemisphere. (and) I am serious about that,” Debae responded when asked by Speedcafe.co.nz where the series would be in five years time.

Interesting article, I'm all for shooting for the stars and don't get me wrong you gotta believe in your product but don't see it happen...

Last edited by St00ge; 31 Oct 2012 at 15:32.
Old 31 Oct 2012, 19:20 (Ref:3160703)   #1773
Ugy
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
Ugy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
+ 1
Two make series !!! they are one make series, the only difference are the badges, They are just clones that can be dressed up at will.
PR.... BS at its'best.
Old 31 Oct 2012, 20:58 (Ref:3160736)   #1774
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Honestly the guy is either full of bluff and bluster or he's plain nuts.
Old 31 Oct 2012, 20:59 (Ref:3160739)   #1775
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugy View Post
+ 1
Two make series !!! they are one make series, the only difference are the badges, They are just clones that can be dressed up at will.
PR.... BS at its'best.
So what's Nascar then, that seems pretty successful?

I think the quality of the fields and the racing are more important than a few badges.
Closed Thread