Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 16 Jan 2012, 10:34 (Ref:3012232)   #26
Paul Carr
Rookie

Canada
Canada. Very far Nth
Paul Carr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi my name is Paul Carr.
Jim and I were mates for a long time, I have been involved with pro motor sport all my working life and as a young man met Jim when he was working as a mechanic for Steven Choulerton. I was working as a mech for manchester wheeler dealer Bob Howlings. Jim and I would dash up and down the motorway to March Eng for bits and spares at all times night and day in a beat up old van. Three things that we had in common drinking, girls, and of course motor racing. Our trips always a laugh and good humour.
Time moved on I went to work for John Brannigan which introduced me to Champ car/Indy racing Johnny Parsons, Cannonball Racing and later Johnny Rutherford. I think my conversations with Jim later sparked his interest in this form of racing.
I work on and off for many years for John Brannigan and in the late 80s he had bought the ex JR Lone Star 87c which was a mint machine. Knowing Jim might no have a ride that year I talked John into offering Jim the car and we would put a team together. We jumped on a aircraft went to Jims in Tampa it was just like old times, we spent the day talking about the old times (like you do) and the offer was made; John and Jim good old mates aswell. We took the car upto Indy got a garage and waited. Some days later we heard John Menards had put a last min deal together for Jim to run that year.
That was the last time I saw Jim although we spoke on the phone several times before I emigrated; lost touch. But I will never forget a great guy and racer, Jim Crawford.

Paul Carr
Old 21 Jan 2012, 12:13 (Ref:3014938)   #27
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
You should speak to the British Vita gang that were based at Rochdale.They were involved with JC around 74/75 and I remember Geoff at Vita doing a few things with him and Alan Clegg (the ex Tyrell mechanic) being the spanner man on those March Atlantic cars