Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 23 May 2014, 19:12 (Ref:3409522)   #1
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
TUSC Round 5: Detroit

Well the race is a mere 8 days away so I thought it was about time to open up a thread. The track is fairly interesting, if for no other reason than it is on a small island! This race is a mere 100 minutes, and only features the Proto and the GTD classes. It will be interesting to see how the racing stacks up. Qualifying is on Friday May 30 at 17:25 local track time, and the race is on Saturday May 31 at 12:10. I haven't heard of anybody trying to do this race and then jet to Le Mans for test day, but that was pretty normal in previous seasons.
The race is on Fox Sports1, but not quite live. It looks like it starts an hour and 20 minutes late.

Schedule

Entry List

Track Map

Weather

Fan Guide

Fantasy Racing

Last edited by joeb; 23 May 2014 at 19:21.
Old 23 May 2014, 19:21 (Ref:3409528)   #2
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Random thoughts on race:
~It will be interesting to see if the Mazda's can keep up their new found pace.
~Can Yacaman keep it clean? Last year in a DP he was a bit all over the place at Belle Isle.
~Will the GTD's be moving chicanes for the P cars?
~Will the judicious use of yellow flags be possible again at this race?
~GTD numbers are down since Sebring (which is to be expected) but more than half the cars (11 of 21) on the entry are Porsche's
Old 23 May 2014, 19:27 (Ref:3409534)   #3
Ginaro Zukovsky
Racer

Ginaro Zukovsky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I haven't heard of anybody trying to do this race and then jet to Le Mans for test day, but that was pretty normal in previous seasons.
http://sportscar365.com/lemans/leman...e-with-larbre/
"Taylor will instead get his first laps in the car during the official Le Mans Test Day on June 1, after taking an overnight flight from the Detroit TUDOR Championship race the day before."

Presumably Olivier Pla, Richard Westbrook, and all of the GTD drivers doing Le Mans will be getting a flight over - or maybe not if they don't need to do their 10 laps.
Old 23 May 2014, 19:28 (Ref:3409535)   #4
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Thanks. I figured there would be some drivers making the trip but I hasn't seen the stories.
Old 23 May 2014, 19:31 (Ref:3409536)   #5
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb
~Will the GTD's be moving chicanes for the P cars?
I find this the most interesting aspect of the race. Because it can either cause just a little bit extra overtaking compared to the situation when P and GTE are on the track. Or, it can turn the race to a nightmare. A nightmare in Baltimore style.
Old 23 May 2014, 19:55 (Ref:3409549)   #6
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudLightJaguar View Post
I find this the most interesting aspect of the race. Because it can either cause just a little bit extra overtaking compared to the situation when P and GTE are on the track. Or, it can turn the race to a nightmare. A nightmare in Baltimore style.
The way I see it, it will basically be a Grand Am race... and the prototype/GT-dynamics in those were usually just fine, so I wouldn't expect any big problems unless some drivers decide to screw up.
Old 23 May 2014, 20:03 (Ref:3409557)   #7
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
God I hope yakaman doesn't destroy half of the prototypes.

I have a very strong feeling a ford is going to win just a fishy feeling.

Old 23 May 2014, 20:13 (Ref:3409561)   #8
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King
The way I see it, it will basically be a Grand Am race... and the prototype/GT-dynamics in those were usually just fine, so I wouldn't expect any big problems unless some drivers decide to screw up.
I see your point here. Though DP's got some improvements for the 2014 season and especially Ford EcoBoost has a serious hp advantage as far as I know.

But no one did mention that this will be a joint event with the IndyCar Series. Since the track is on a small island, how do they fit everything (motorhomes and such) there?
Old 23 May 2014, 21:06 (Ref:3409577)   #9
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
But no one did mention that this will be a joint event with the IndyCar Series. Since the track is on a small island, how do they fit everything (motorhomes and such) there?
Like so...

http://www.imsa.com/sites/default/fi...ms%20Entry.pdf

http://www.imsa.com/sites/default/fi...%20entry-2.pdf

L.P.
Old 24 May 2014, 01:35 (Ref:3409622)   #10
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
I see your point here. Though DP's got some improvements for the 2014 season and especially Ford EcoBoost has a serious hp advantage as far as I know.

It is also a World Challenge race!
Old 26 May 2014, 13:41 (Ref:3410864)   #11
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
It is also a World Challenge race!
Twin one hour GT/GTS World Challenge sprints and a single 1:45 P/GTD Tusc race.
I find that I'm looking forward to the PWC races more than the IMSA round!
http://www.world-challenge.com/image...chedule-v3.pdf
Old 26 May 2014, 14:34 (Ref:3410890)   #12
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Spotter Guide up. Usual place www.spotterguides.com and later, V2 (released today) will be up at imsa.com
Old 26 May 2014, 18:38 (Ref:3410985)   #13
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_b View Post
Spotter Guide up. Usual place www.spotterguides.com and later, V2 (released today) will be up at imsa.com
Great job, Andy! You've probably answered this question umpteen times, so forgive me, but what program do you use to design your liveries? Would love to try it out some day.
Old 27 May 2014, 13:06 (Ref:3411297)   #14
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

There is a HUGE pad of concrete in the middle of the track that makes up the Indycar and TUDOR paddock and the World Challenge cars are to the east end of the track. Not sure where the Stadium Super Trucks will be, though.

Old 27 May 2014, 18:16 (Ref:3411426)   #15
ttdriver2009
Racer

ttdriver2009 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRspitfirefan View Post
Twin one hour GT/GTS World Challenge sprints and a single 1:45 P/GTD Tusc race.
I find that I'm looking forward to the PWC races more than the IMSA round!
http://www.world-challenge.com/image...chedule-v3.pdf
It's nice to see that PWC now runs twin one hour races with real GT3 cars (19 of them).
Old 27 May 2014, 20:56 (Ref:3411499)   #16
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Cool to see Ben Barker bolstering his sportscar CV with GB Autosport.

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/tusc/te...-list-changes/

Been trying to work out the list of guys going overnight to test day. Not sure if any of these guys have opted out but they are all on the entry list:

Ricky Taylor
Jordan Taylor
Olivier Pla
Richard Westbrook
Seth Neiman
Spencer Pumpelly

Cooper MacNeil/Jeroen Bleekemolen not scheduled to test. Dempsey/Foster will skip Detroit to be there.
Old 27 May 2014, 21:59 (Ref:3411520)   #17
Ginaro Zukovsky
Racer

Ginaro Zukovsky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ben Barker and Damien Faulkner, nice Pro/Am line-up...
Old 28 May 2014, 01:39 (Ref:3411563)   #18
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
We'll have to see, since the DPs and P2s will be faster than the DPs have been.

They need to fix that official track map, as the left-hand bend at the end of the back stretch is still very much there.

Straight up car density shouldn't be a problem though, with 33 or so cars on a 2.385-mile, 16-turn course.

I understand why they have that curb in there to tighten up what they call Turn 8, but the curb on the inside of Turn 3 is a bit much, and really unnecessary. The straight from Turn 2 is plenty long enough that the more open Turn 3 (like CART had in 1998-2001) will still offer plenty of overtaking potential, while also being less of a bottleneck.
Old 28 May 2014, 05:38 (Ref:3411617)   #19
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Cool to see Ben Barker bolstering his sportscar CV with GB Autosport.

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/tusc/te...-list-changes/

Been trying to work out the list of guys going overnight to test day. Not sure if any of these guys have opted out but they are all on the entry list:

Ricky Taylor
Jordan Taylor
Olivier Pla
Richard Westbrook
Seth Neiman
Spencer Pumpelly

Cooper MacNeil/Jeroen Bleekemolen not scheduled to test.
Even though all of these listed drivers are exempt from having to test, I am not sure they would choose to opt out of the test and just attend the practice sessions. Or if they would be allowed to do so by their teams.

L.P.

Last edited by HORNDAWG; 28 May 2014 at 05:46.
Old 29 May 2014, 02:01 (Ref:3412152)   #20
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've got to say, even after a P2 winning at Laguna Seca, I'm not really looking forward to watching this.

If IMSA wants fans, they really need to earn our support.
Old 29 May 2014, 13:36 (Ref:3412351)   #21
ttdriver2009
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic Z View Post
I've got to say, even after a P2 winning at Laguna Seca, I'm not really looking forward to watching this.

If IMSA wants fans, they really need to earn our support.
How do they need to earn the support?
Old 29 May 2014, 13:44 (Ref:3412355)   #22
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic Z View Post
Especially when Detroit is the home ground of GM and Ford. No hesitation in waving yellow flag if some HPD or Nissan-engined convertible is going too fast.

Last edited by BudLightJaguar; 29 May 2014 at 13:50.
Old 29 May 2014, 15:46 (Ref:3412374)   #23
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about we all put away the pitch-forks until after the race?
Old 29 May 2014, 15:50 (Ref:3412376)   #24
ttdriver2009
Racer

Quote:
Especially when Detroit is the home ground of GM and Ford. No hesitation in waving yellow flag if some HPD or Nissan-engined convertible is going too fast.
Does this happen (throwing a yellow of a Nissan or Honda is leading)?
Old 29 May 2014, 21:27 (Ref:3412520)   #25
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttdriver2009 View Post
Does this happen (throwing a yellow of a Nissan or Honda is leading)?
We'll find out soon enough. If you cannot wait for the race to unfold I'd suggest you contact either Paul Walter, Scott Elkins or Scott Atherton. At least one of them should know what the orders from Daytona are...