Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 18 Apr 2014, 18:59 (Ref:3394609)   #226
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Young fans with lots of pocket money and credit cards... I guess in a warped way that makes sense as that's the future target audience for most mfgs involved.
They're probably going for the World of Warcraft 'hey let me steal from my rich mom's purse' demographic who will end up being the main demographic for Porsche and Audi in the future. Not sure about Toyota though...
Old 18 Apr 2014, 19:00 (Ref:3394610)   #227
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
airbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridairbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
Check the date on that tweet. I think you'll find it's from February 25th ...
Yup, just noticed that, that's why I deleted it.
Old 18 Apr 2014, 19:00 (Ref:3394612)   #228
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Check the date on that tweet. I think you'll find it's from February 25th ...
Hope crushed in under 30 seconds. A new record.
Old 18 Apr 2014, 19:05 (Ref:3394616)   #229
Gil Abobeleira
Veteran

Gil Abobeleira should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So, it's only a stupid app for a stupid smartphone (yeahhh, I have one and don't really care about apps and other bloatware like that).

That means that, on the PC, it will be like last year (live timing and live streaming), right?
Old 18 Apr 2014, 19:06 (Ref:3394618)   #230
Intimidator
Rookie

Italy
Intimidator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Are you sure? I know it doesn't for practice sessions but according to the presser it does for qualifying and the race:
So I was wrong. Let's see what "light info" means for them
Old 18 Apr 2014, 19:08 (Ref:3394624)   #231
EricS
Racer

United States
Austin, TX
EricS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Noticed this in their presser:
Quote:
The marshaling system will allow you to know the location of each car on the track!
Is this a GPS-based track map with car positions overlayed? If so, that would be a great addition.
Old 18 Apr 2014, 19:10 (Ref:3394626)   #232
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Abobeleira View Post
So, it's only a stupid app for a stupid smartphone (yeahhh, I have one and don't really care about apps and other bloatware like that).

That means that, on the PC, it will be like last year (live timing and live streaming), right?
Nope, you need to pay for a season pass or whatever it's called on all OS and again if you want to use it on another OS. For example if you already paid for a PC season pass and then wanted to watch the race on your mobile device while on vacation you would then again have to pay again.

Greedy scum, not even sure FOM would go this low.
Old 18 Apr 2014, 19:22 (Ref:3394639)   #233
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
I'm a young fan with some money on hand, but I find the fact that you need to pay for each platform completely baffling. Surely they can combine the purchase records from all platforms and allow an account for streaming both on a mobile device and on the PC? I know it's tricky technically due to the nature of in-app purchases, but it can probably be done, so I'm annoyed now (having bought the season pass in the Android app).
It's pretty common. Also common to hide behind the technical reasons but it is painfully obvious it is about money, either just maximizing profit or just saving money on not building and supporting such feature.
Old 18 Apr 2014, 19:23 (Ref:3394640)   #234
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankfile View Post
Also a young fan here but without credit card i have no option to actually pay...
You can't get a debit card either? There are many types of them, it should be enough that they support Verified by Visa/online payment.
Old 18 Apr 2014, 19:28 (Ref:3394642)   #235
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
How nice. Their continuing attempts to leave Le Mans as the only race worth following are really working. I shall listen to this advice more than ever before. Thanks ACO!

Old 18 Apr 2014, 19:29 (Ref:3394643)   #236
Livininthinair
Veteran

United States
Colorado
Livininthinair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLivininthinair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Question for someone who has signed up through the website - does it ask what OS you are using. I am asking this due to the fact that I use Google tv (chrome) at home to watch races. If you sign up through the WEC website does it default to Windows, therefore making it useless on chrome? - meaning i should purchase through android/google app store.............

PLUS: does this mean the only way to watch LM24 is through this subscription service... I understand most of this is a very gray area right now so a definite answer may not currently be avail...
Old 18 Apr 2014, 19:36 (Ref:3394646)   #237
Azy
Rookie

Azy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
You can't get a debit card either? There are many types of them, it should be enough that they support Verified by Visa/online payment.
This is what I have when I confirm payment with my debit visa card

Quote:
The transaction has been denied
Payment not accepted : Payment refused by the financial institution
Please use the "Back" button to try again with other parameters
Old 18 Apr 2014, 19:41 (Ref:3394648)   #238
Livininthinair
Veteran

United States
Colorado
Livininthinair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLivininthinair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azy View Post

Call your bank or credit company, they may need to authorize the transaction
Old 18 Apr 2014, 19:45 (Ref:3394651)   #239
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azy View Post
Check from some paper/bank's website whether it is even supposed to support Verified by Visa or "online payments" or whatever term they might use.
Old 18 Apr 2014, 19:45 (Ref:3394652)   #240
Azy
Rookie

Ok, I will write to them.

@deggis It's not, I have to contact them "manually".
Old 18 Apr 2014, 19:50 (Ref:3394656)   #241
deggis
Veteran

Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livininthinair View Post
Question for someone who has signed up through the website - does it ask what OS you are using. I am asking this due to the fact that I use Google tv (chrome) at home to watch races. If you sign up through the WEC website does it default to Windows, therefore making it useless on chrome? - meaning i should purchase through android/google app store.............
I think it is highly likely that the streaming platform it just a website, in which case desktop OS is irrelevant*. Assuming that the Google TV Chrome browser can show the page properly. Does the Google TV browser usually work with Flash content?

*except if it uses Microsoft Silverlight, in that case non-Windows OSes are screwed.
Old 18 Apr 2014, 19:59 (Ref:3394660)   #242
Gil Abobeleira
Veteran

Gil Abobeleira should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
Nope, you need to pay for a season pass or whatever it's called on all OS and again if you want to use it on another OS. For example if you already paid for a PC season pass and then wanted to watch the race on your mobile device while on vacation you would then again have to pay again.

Greedy scum, not even sure FOM would go this low.
Sorry, but the announcement says zero about PCs, it just talks about andoid and iphone.
Old 18 Apr 2014, 20:00 (Ref:3394661)   #243
Livininthinair
Veteran

United States
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
I think it is highly likely that the streaming platform it just a website, in which case desktop OS is irrelevant*. Assuming that the Google TV Chrome browser can show the page properly. Does the Google TV browser usually work with Flash content?

*except if it uses Microsoft Silverlight, in that case non-Windows OSes are screwed.

Yes, works fine all the time just like any browser and I have never used any google/android apps. on it - thats what i was thinking but this has seemingly gotten way too confused for its own good. The multiple OS function must be only for apps and not for a web browser. I will wait until I get home from work and sign up though google tv browser to make sure its not effed up...

WOW - this has really gotten out of control, you have a captive audience that cant figure out how the hell to hand you money to see your product that is not available from another source. If its a password then make it a password, if its an app then make it an app. I understand mobile devices vs home devices but why the hell would you make someone pay twice for the same thing..........................................................

Last edited by Livininthinair; 18 Apr 2014 at 20:15.
Old 18 Apr 2014, 20:11 (Ref:3394666)   #244
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So if I try to get it on my iPad through the app it wants to log me into my iTunes account.im wondering if the charge will go through I tunes App Store,and if it does I could just get one of those gift cards and load up my iTunes account to pay for it?
If so I might just do it.

This has been a rough road so far for endurance sports cars this year,I don't get it what they are doing.between tusc and wec it feels like the endurance sportscar leaders are just shooting them selfs in the foot this year.i mi get just get it and see were it goes, this was supposed to be wec's big year and I'm not read to give up on sports cars just yet........
Old 18 Apr 2014, 20:33 (Ref:3394674)   #245
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So we know we aren´t going to get live stream and live timing and if I want to buy the overpriced "premium" package I have to buy one for my laptop and one for my mobile. CRAP!
Old 18 Apr 2014, 20:47 (Ref:3394681)   #246
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this is part of trying to find new fans with new money. Unfortunately the organizers don't seem to realize how much all this is going to estrange their traditional fans. I also bet they don't make up the difference. Hopefully when it doesn't work well they'll stop the nonsense, but maybe not. NASCAR drove away so many customers they had huge numbers of empty seats in their "stadiums", their answer - tear down the extra seats!
Old 18 Apr 2014, 20:54 (Ref:3394685)   #247
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So ... FIA/WEC want me to pay $70 to watch eight races and if I happen not to have working Internet on race day ... I lose. If I happen to be at work on race day ... I lose. If I happen to actually be attending the race ... I pay twice or I lose.

Sadly it seems the best way to avoid being a loser is to write off the best series on the planet.

Pretty funny. I was all set to pay with a debit card this morning, but ...

After that I decided to wait for the press conference. Really glad I did.
Old 18 Apr 2014, 21:02 (Ref:3394688)   #248
NelisB
Veteran

Netherlands
Deventer
NelisB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it should be possible to just use the package for the pc to use on a mobilephone. The stream shouldn't be that different. I'm going to buy the PC package and then see if I can find out if it works. The livetiming worked pretty good on my mobile this afternoon. It's not really scaling but it's useable.
Old 18 Apr 2014, 21:09 (Ref:3394690)   #249
Azy
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
So ... FIA/WEC want me to pay $70 to watch eight races and if I happen not to have working Internet on race day ... I lose. If I happen to be at work on race day ... I lose. If I happen to actually be attending the race ... I pay twice or I lose.

Sadly it seems the best way to avoid being a loser is to write off the best series on the planet.

Pretty funny. I was all set to pay with a debit card this morning, but ...

After that I decided to wait for the press conference. Really glad I did.

Why $70 and not €19,99? did I miss something?
Old 18 Apr 2014, 21:10 (Ref:3394691)   #250
NelisB
Veteran

Netherlands
Deventer
NelisB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Think he means for the pc, mobile and le mans separate.