Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 11 Oct 2010, 16:09 (Ref:2773213)   #26
Jesper OH
Veteran

Jesper OH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
Indeed. Is it me or does that front spoiler look a bit too deep to be proper Group A?

Jesper
Old 11 Oct 2010, 18:31 (Ref:2773300)   #27
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesper OH View Post
Indeed. Is it me or does that front spoiler look a bit too deep to be proper Group A?

Jesper
It must be you Jesper. Otherwise someone would have to be cheatin'
Old 12 Oct 2010, 11:19 (Ref:2773740)   #28
brendonwood1
Rookie

Australia
brendonwood1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
I'm guessing from the 'Benson & Hedges' logos that these might be from the Baypark B&H round you mentioned?

Kent Baigent 635:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8021817...n/photostream/

Denny Hulme 'AC&B' Commodore
Yes, those photos would be from the Baypark round of the series.
In regards to participating cars from the 1984 Benson & Hedges series, the two BMWs and the AC&B Commodore are relatively easy to find pictures of. The others are more elusive - at least on the net.
I may have a chance to go back through some old magazines when I'm in NZ in a few weeks time. If I do, and find any reports, I'll update the thread.

I have found results now for all three rounds of the 1986 South Pacific Touring Car Championship. And I am looking for results of the 1986 Benson & Hedges series (did the Crosby/Wilkinson Commodore or the Crowe/Richards BMW win the 1986 Pukekohe 6 hour? Anyone know?)
But 1986 is getting a bit ahead.

I have the basic results for the 1985 Benson & Hedges series, but am hoping I may find a bit more before I post them in a few weeks time. Hopefully I'll have time to go through some of my old magazines/books when I am in NZ - will help this thread immensely if I can find some old reports.

Last edited by brendonwood1; 12 Oct 2010 at 11:30.
Old 12 Oct 2010, 11:28 (Ref:2773745)   #29
brendonwood1
Rookie

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzduck View Post
Gents I think you will find that this series also allowed cars to run under the previous Benson and Hedges Series rules which were something like Group 1+ but only allowing NZ assembled cars over 2000cc.

There was no Group E in NZ as this was an Australian Class. There were a few Group E type cars from the early 90's that ran here in later Nissan Mobil series that complied to the Australian Rules like Mal Rose's homologation special 6 cylinder Falcon that Australian members would know more about.

For most years the Nissan Mobil races had very open eligibility to encourage as many entries as possible for the promoter! Strict Group A eligibility only applied to those years where it was part of a championship. The same applied to the support races with large fields of anything particularly in later years to try and increase the number of entry fees! Everything from HQ Holdens to rallycars were welcome.
I think "Series Production" is more accurate than "Group E" to describe the cars run in the production class. As noted, "Group E" was an Australian series.

There was no "production" class in the 1985 Nissan Sport series - though many of the cars that raced were not proper Group A cars. Some were slightly modified production cars. The Commodore VK ran under Australian Group A homologation (which allowed Australian manufacturers to build just 1,000 base cars instead of 5,000) rather than FIA homologation - which the Commodore wasn't granted until January 1, 1986.
The Falcon XE as previously noted was homologated by MANZ to run in NZ races and was in Group 1+ sped - note it had standard brakes and axles but the engine was modified to Group A specs. Also, since it was over 5,000cc, it would have weighed at least 1,400 kg and maybe more. Unless MANZ gave it some sort of dispensation to run a lower weight (unlikely I'd think).
The Bluebird Turbo as previously noted was largely standard.
Other cars in the Wellington and Pukekohe fields wouldn't have been fully developed either.
Old 13 Oct 2010, 07:35 (Ref:2774183)   #30
ian beckett
Racer

ian beckett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to my notes the 1986 Benson and Hedges series was very poorly supported and at the first round at Manfield,no 635's raced;at the Pukekohe round on 16 November,Trevor Crowe/JimRichards were second in the Archibalds 635.Does anyone have pictures of some of the more obscure BMW's to have raced in NZ?
Old 13 Oct 2010, 08:29 (Ref:2774208)   #31
brendonwood1
Rookie

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian beckett View Post
According to my notes the 1986 Benson and Hedges series was very poorly supported and at the first round at Manfield,no 635's raced;at the Pukekohe round on 16 November,Trevor Crowe/JimRichards were second in the Archibalds 635.Does anyone have pictures of some of the more obscure BMW's to have raced in NZ?
Yes, I remember that series was poorly supported - especially considering the South Pacific series a few weeks later attracted fields of up to 30 cars.
If the Archibalds BMW finished second, then my vague memory of the Crosby/Wilkinson Commodore winning the '86 Pukekohe 6-hour is probably correct.
This photo here: http://media.photobucket.com/image/n...e1986.jpg?o=28 shows the start of the 1986 Pukekohe 6-hour race.
The Archibalds BMW is tucked in behind Crosby and alongside the Pinepac Mustang.
I am sure the Nissan failed to finish. Beyond that, I don't have much other than a vague memory to work on.
Was it Crosby/Wilkinson - 1st, Crowe/Richards - 2nd, and Lamont/Morton (BMW 325i) - 3rd??
That's my vague memory, but it may be wrong.
Old 14 Oct 2010, 09:47 (Ref:2774775)   #32
racerVK
Rookie

Australia
gold coast Qld
racerVK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Blue/White Phillips VK earlier pictured is the Lew McKinnon/John Power entry at wellington in January 85[Nissan Sport 500]There where 5 Commodore entered for this race
Old 14 Oct 2010, 13:35 (Ref:2774858)   #33
brendonwood1
Rookie

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerVK View Post
The Blue/White Phillips VK earlier pictured is the Lew McKinnon/John Power entry at wellington in January 85[Nissan Sport 500]There where 5 Commodore entered for this race
Excellent, many thanks for that. I thought there were only two Commodores in the 1985 race?
Do you happen to have the entry list/grid for the race?
Old 16 Oct 2010, 10:35 (Ref:2775717)   #34
Jesper OH
Veteran

I have started a 1985/1986 season threat for never information:

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125169

Jesper
Old 16 Oct 2010, 11:52 (Ref:2775745)   #35
brendonwood1
Rookie

Australia
Since the later 1985 results are in the new thread linked above, there is only one series left to mention in this thread.
There was a six-round New Zealand Touring Car Championship over December 1984-January 1985. Each round consisted of short 50km sprint races.
Kent Baigent contested only three rounds in the series in his BMW 635CSi and won all three to win the NZ Touring Car Championship from Leo Leonard who contested the whole series in a Ford NZ-backed Falcon XD V8. Leonard won at least one race.
More detailed results are currently unavailable.

That concludes the 1984-85 NZ Group A races. As I find more information I'll add it.
There is plenty missing.
If anyone has anything they can add, please feel free to do so. Alternatively, pm me and let me know that you have information or results. If these results/information can then be scanned/photographed and emailed to me, I can write it up for this thread.

Brendon.
Old 16 Oct 2010, 15:46 (Ref:2775800)   #36
Jesper OH
Veteran

1984/1985 New Zealand race dates:

DateTrackName of the raceNotes
1984-10-14 Manfeild Benson & Hedges Saloon Car Classic B & H Series, round 1
1984-10-21 Baypark Raceway Benson & Hedges Saloon Car Classic B & H Series, round 2
1984-10-28 Pukekohe Benson & Hedges Saloon Car Classic B & H Series, round 3
1984-12-09 Manfeild World Cup International Motor Races
1984-12-16 Pukekohe 32nd New Zealand International Grand Prix
1985-01-01 Baypark Raceway Baypark International Motor Races
1985-01-27 Wellington Nissan Sport 500 Nissan Sport Series, round 1
1985-02-03 Pukekohe Nissan Sport 500 Nissan Sport Series, round 2
1985-03-10 Manfeild National Motor Races
1985-03-24 Pukekohe National Motor Race Meeting
1985-04-07 Baypark Raceway Pan Am National Motor Races

Was there any substance abuse tests on the Baypark January meeting..

Jesper
Old 25 Oct 2010, 07:28 (Ref:2780037)   #37
brendonwood1
Rookie

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendonwood1 View Post
Since the later 1985 results are in the new thread linked above, there is only one series left to mention in this thread.
There was a six-round New Zealand Touring Car Championship over December 1984-January 1985. Each round consisted of short 50km sprint races.
Kent Baigent contested only three rounds in the series in his BMW 635CSi and won all three to win the NZ Touring Car Championship from Leo Leonard who contested the whole series in a Ford NZ-backed Falcon XD V8. Leonard won at least one race.
More detailed results are currently unavailable.

Brendon.
Thanks to The Dunlop Book of New Zealand Motorsport by David McKinney (c.1987) I can add some extra information on the 1984/85 NZ Touring Car Championship.
The first three races were in the South Island of New Zealand (I assume at Timaru, Ruapuna and Wigram - but this needs confirmation) and were poorly supported.
All three races were won by Bruce Anderson in the Pinepac Ford Fairmont XE with Leo Leonard finishing second in the Ford NZ backed Fairmont XD in two of the races.
The series picked up with the three North Island rounds at Baypark, Manfeild and Pukekohe. Kent Baigent won all three in the BMW. Neville Crichton was second in his BMW in two of the rounds. Leo Leonard scored a few podiums as did Bruce Fowler (Commodore VH SS).
Old 25 Oct 2010, 11:00 (Ref:2780162)   #38
brendonwood1
Rookie

Australia
Quote:
Yes, I had a look at a couple of books that I had here. The Bathurst '85 and Raceyear '85 books had brief summaries of the late 84/early 85 races.

The Benson & Hedges series as previously mentioned was held in late October/early November 1985.

So, here is a summary of those races.

BENSON & HEDGES SERIES

[TABLE]Rd 1: Manfield
Distance: 4 hours.
Starters: unknown (guess was around 30)
Cars Eligible: FIA Group A; NZ Assembled Standard Production 0-1300cc, 1301-1600cc, 1601-2000cc, over 2,000cc
POLE: Neville Crichton/Wayne Wilkinson BMW 635 Csi
RESULTS
1st Neville Crichton/Wayne Wilkinson BMW 635 Csi
2nd Bruce Fowler/Kirk Stoneman Holden Commodore VH SS*
3rd Leo Leonard/Rod Collingwood Nissan 300ZX Turbo
4th Paul Adams/Allan Woolf Toyota Corolla AE86 GT Liftback
5th Dave McMillan/Gary Pederson Fiat Ritmo Abarth 130TC*

NZ Production Results
1st drivers to be confirmed Mitsubishi Cordia Turbo
* indicates that this needs confirmation

Now a couple of other notes. I thought the Nissan was driven by Leonard/Sprague, but I read an article in NZ Classic Driver recently profiling NZ saloon car racer Rod Collingwood which mentioned his involvement with the car. Not sure if Rod drove it at Manfield or in some of the NZ Touring Car Championship rounds however. I'll try to find and re-read the article.
I found the interview with Rod Collingwood mentioned above, which was published in NZ Classic Driver Issue 25 (2008). Rod Collingwood was indeed the co-driver of the Nissan 300ZX, not Gary Sprague as I noted on the first page of this thread.
The article mentions that the car was stock standard except for an open exhaust and race rubber. It qualified 5th and suffered from two punctures, overheating brakes and a diff problem, so my memory of it finishing 3rd on the road may be faulty. Article doesn't say which position it finished in - the assumption one gets from the article is that it recorded a DNF. The article also says it is a 300ZX and doesn't mention it being a 300ZX Turbo - so again, this needs confirmation.
The article notes that Neville Crichton, Denny Hulme and Paul Adams all protested the Nissan. Apparantly Crichton indicated to Collingwood he would protest any car that wasn't officially homologated by the FIA, including the Commodores and Falcons. The protest against the Commodores and Falcons was thrown out and they were accepted by MANZ (Motorsport New Zealand).
The car had been allowed to start when Manfeild organiser Rob Lester received a telegram from the FIA stating that "Minor difficulties were holding up homologation of the Nissan".
So, Lester accepted the entry of the Nissan, but the MANZ later excluded the car due to the fact it wasn't homologated. So, maybe it finished third on the road and was later excluded? More info is needed yet.
What is clear is that dispite Nissan NZ providing a $20,000 bond so that it could race at Baypark and Pukekohe, but the entry of the car for those races was not accepted.
The 300ZX was homologated just before Christmas and Collingwood agreed to run it at the Wigram round of the NZ Touring Car Championship.
I do not know where it finished at Wigram.
This, to me, is an interesting saga, one I'd like to find out more about. Also, it must have been the only 300ZX to ever race in Group A.
Old 25 Oct 2010, 15:10 (Ref:2780263)   #39
Jesper OH
Veteran

Quote:
I found the interview with Rod Collingwood mentioned above, which was published in NZ Classic Driver Issue 25 (2008). Rod Collingwood was indeed the co-driver of the Nissan 300ZX, not Gary Sprague as I noted on the first page of this thread.
The article mentions that the car was stock standard except for an open exhaust and race rubber. It qualified 5th and suffered from two punctures, overheating brakes and a diff problem, so my memory of it finishing 3rd on the road may be faulty. Article doesn't say which position it finished in - the assumption one gets from the article is that it recorded a DNF. The article also says it is a 300ZX and doesn't mention it being a 300ZX Turbo - so again, this needs confirmation.
The article notes that Neville Crichton, Denny Hulme and Paul Adams all protested the Nissan. Apparantly Crichton indicated to Collingwood he would protest any car that wasn't officially homologated by the FIA, including the Commodores and Falcons. The protest against the Commodores and Falcons was thrown out and they were accepted by MANZ (Motorsport New Zealand).
The car had been allowed to start when Manfeild organiser Rob Lester received a telegram from the FIA stating that "Minor difficulties were holding up homologation of the Nissan".
So, Lester accepted the entry of the Nissan, but the MANZ later excluded the car due to the fact it wasn't homologated. So, maybe it finished third on the road and was later excluded? More info is needed yet.
What is clear is that dispite Nissan NZ providing a $20,000 bond so that it could race at Baypark and Pukekohe, but the entry of the car for those races was not accepted.
The 300ZX was homologated just before Christmas and Collingwood agreed to run it at the Wigram round of the NZ Touring Car Championship.
I do not know where it finished at Wigram.
This, to me, is an interesting saga, one I'd like to find out more about. Also, it must have been the only 300ZX to ever race in Group A.
As a Nissan 300ZX never was homologated by the FIA, it's quite likely the only one of it's type to have raced as a Group A car, indeed. That said, the Group 1 homologation of the Datsun 280Z 2/2 was at some point in time transferred to Group A.

Jesper
Old 25 Oct 2010, 21:14 (Ref:2780416)   #40
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesper OH View Post
As a Nissan 300ZX never was homologated by the FIA, it's quite likely the only one of it's type to have raced as a Group A car, indeed. That said, the Group 1 homologation of the Datsun 280Z 2/2 was at some point in time transferred to Group A.

Jesper
It seems Datsun/Nissan had one or two unique touring cars in the period. Graham Goode's Bluebird has often been referred to fondly as a good example of one-off builds.

Maybe we can add the ZX to this list along with the Australia Gazelle/Sylvia?

Why was this though, I can't recall any other makes having as many 'mongrels' out there, the importers/manufacturers just weren't intrerested unless people ran things themselves.
Old 26 Oct 2010, 15:55 (Ref:2780801)   #41
Jesper OH
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
It seems Datsun/Nissan had one or two unique touring cars in the period. Graham Goode's Bluebird has often been referred to fondly as a good example of one-off builds.

Maybe we can add the ZX to this list along with the Australia Gazelle/Sylvia?

Why was this though, I can't recall any other makes having as many 'mongrels' out there, the importers/manufacturers just weren't intrerested unless people ran things themselves.
As for Silvia/Gazelles, I would still count the German Herman Behrens car, and Japan had a couple of cars too.

Jesper
Old 14 Nov 2010, 06:53 (Ref:2789966)   #42
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
A few more pics from the Pukekohe Nissan Sport race...

Petch/Delcourt Volvo
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8021817...7606882601980/

Anderson/Johnson Falcon

Morton/Sytner 635

Crichton/Wilkinson 635

Walkinshaw/Dickson Rover
Old 7 Jan 2011, 12:35 (Ref:2812447)   #43
brendonwood1
Rookie

Australia
Drink

Thanks to Ten-Tenths member Chavez who sent me a copy of the race on tape, I have been able to view the TVNZ coverage of the Nissan Sport 500 at Wellington.
I was hoping to see details of the grid and full results, but the coverage didn't give either.
I can however, work out some more details from the coverage.
The grid was as follows:
1. Dick Johnson/Bruce Anderson Ford Falcon XE V8
2. Neville Crichton/Wayne Wilkinson BMW 635CSi
3. Kent Baigent/Neal Lowe BMW 635CSI
4. John Morton/Frank Sytner BMW 635CSi
5. Peter Brock/Larry Perkins Holden Commodore VK
6. Tom Walkinshaw/Ron Dickson Rover Vitesse
7. Paul Adams/Adam Woolf Toyota Corolla GT AE86
8. Ray Gulson/ Alfa Romeo GTV6
9. Gary Pederson/Dave McMillan Fiat Ritmo Abarth 130TC
10. Bob Holden/Glen Clark Toyota Corolla GT AE86
11. Steve Willy/David Janes Toyota Corolla GT AE71
12. Graham McGregor/ VW Golf GTi Mk1
13. Dennis Roderick/Glen McIntyre Isuzu Gemini
14. Inky Tulloch/Frank Ryan Nissan Bluebird Turbo
15. Bob Barry/ Fiat Ritmo Abarth 130TC
16. Chris Heyer/ Audi 5+5
17. Belbin brothers Holden Commodore VH SS
18. McDonald brothers Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo
19. Lew McKinnon/John Power Holden Commodore VK SS
20. Robbie Francevic/Michel Delcourt Volvo 240T

So, this gives us the full grid. There were three BMW 635CSi, two Holden Commodore VK SS, one Holden Commodore VH SS, three Toyota Corollas (2 x AE86 and 1 x AE71), two Fiat Abarths, and one apiece of VW Golf, Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo, Volvo 240T, Audi 5+5, Isuzu Gemini, Alfa Romeo GTV6, Ford Falcon XE V8, Rover Vitesse and Nissan Bluebird Turbo.
Note that the Belbin brothers Commodore is the ex-Neville Crichton, ex-Bruce Fowler car that finished second in the Pukekohe 6-hour race a few months before.

Unfortunately the coverage didn't give the final finishing places beyond the top five already posted.

In the race itself, the early laps were like a sprint race, with a fantastic dice between the three BMWs, the Rover, Brock's Commodore and the Volvo, which flew through the field only to be delayed with bodywork issues and drop back a couple of laps. And then repeat the effort to take the lead again with about 15 minutes left in the race.
The Brock Commodore was handily placed throughout the first half, and then dropped back in the second half with a down on power engine. Perkins was getting passed by the Mirage Turbo, which was the slowest car out there at one stage, so luckily Brock had opened up a big enough lead over the smaller cars in the first half for the combination to retain 4th outright.
The Sytner/Morton BMW probably should have won the race, but John Morton was a bit slower than Sytner in his first drive in the car. They held a full laps lead over the Volvo with abound 40 minutes left, but a couple of half spins and the fact that Francevic was lapping several seconds a lap faster saw the lead evaporate.
Another notable feature of the race was the fact that no-one seemed to know who was leading most of the time. The race timing was a bit of a joke. In fact, some suggest that the Sytner/Morton BMW was still a lap ahead of the Volvo at the finish, and not several seconds behind as the official results show.

Note, I had a few mistakes with the grid that I originally posted. The Crichton BMW was 2nd rather than 3rd. The Baigent BMW was 3rd, not 2nd. The Sytner BMW was 4th, not 6th. And the Walkinshaw Rover was 6th, not 4th.

Last edited by brendonwood1; 7 Jan 2011 at 12:43.
Old 7 Jan 2011, 12:48 (Ref:2812459)   #44
brendonwood1
Rookie

Australia
Also, of interest, I was in NZ over Christmas and bought the latest issue of NZ Classic Car. The Glen McIntyre Gemini is listed in the cars for sale section. I couldn't get a very could picture of it, but a photo of the page where it appears for sale is attached. No price is given, but the ad notes that it is a 1982 Isuzu Gemini ZZ and that was also used as a rally car.
Attached Thumbnails
SAM_0791.jpg  
Old 15 Sep 2011, 10:26 (Ref:2955829)   #45
Jesper OH
Veteran

Thanks to the picture links to the Chris Heyer Audi 5+5 I have found the entry list for the Benson & Hedges Pukekohe race on 28 October, 1984:

http://www.theroaringseason.com/show...ull=1#post4664
http://www.theroaringseason.com/show...ull=1#post4678

Jesper
Old 15 Sep 2011, 17:18 (Ref:2956025)   #46
Jesper OH
Veteran

Table format of the above mentioned B&H Series race at Pukekohe on 28th October 1984

No.Driver (city)EntrantClassCarcc
1 RAY SMITH (Takapuna) Auckland Coin & Bullion OPEN GROUP Holden Commodore 5000
DENNY HULME (Lake Rotolti)
2 ROBBIE FRANCEVIC (Malrangi Bay) Metro Magazine OPEN GROUP Ford Fairmont 5780
JOHN MORTON (Birkenhead)
3 KENT BAIGENT (Remuera) Tellus Vacuum Cleaners OPEN GROUP BMW 635CSI 3500
NEAL LOWE (Bucklands Beach)
4 NEVILLE CRICHTON (Auckland) John Andrew Motorsport OPEN GROUP BMW 635CSI 3500
WAYNE WILKINSON (Buck. Beach)
5 VEEN SMITH (Hobsonville) Veen Smith Builders OPEN GROUP Holden Commodore 5047
BRUCE MANON (Takapuna)
6 BRUCE FOWLER (Bucklands Beach) Schofield & Co. Ltd. OPEN GROUP Holden Commodore 5044
KIRK STONEMAN (Titirangi)
7 BRUCE ANDERSON (Whenuapai) Anderson's Betabuild Centres OPEN GROUP Ford Falcon 5800
WAYNE ANDERSON (Whenuapai)
DICK JOHNSON (Brisbane)
8 GARRY PEDERSEN (New Lynn) Gillette/More/Gemco OPEN GROUP Fiat Ritmo Abarth 130TC 1995
DAVE McMILLAN (Auckland)
9 ROBERT BELBIN (Hamilton) Pegasus Enterprises OPEN GROUP Mazda RX7 2292
CHRIS BELBIN (Hamilton)
10 GLENN McINTYRE (Paraparaumu) Rodmac Homes Ltd. OPEN GROUP Isuzu Gemini 1800
DENNIS RODERICK (Waikanse)
11 BOB BARRY (Onohunga) L. Tattle OPEN GROUP Fiat Ritmo Abarth 130TC 1995
MARSOEN ROBINSON (Pakuranga)
12 DEREK MACDONALD (Remuera) Macdonald Halligan Motors Ltd. OPEN GROUP Mitsubishi Starion 1997
ROSS MACDONALD (Auckland)
*14 ROD COLLINGWOOD (Nelson) C.R.C. OPEN GROUP Nissan 300 ZX 2983
LEO LEONARD (Tekapo)
*15 PAUL RADISICH (Henderson) Frank Radisich OPEN GROUP Toyota Celica Supra 2800
PETER WILLIAMSON (Australia)
16 ADRIAN LANDON-LANE (Remuera) Uncles OPEN GROUP Fiat 131R 2000
LOU VANDERMEER (Buck. Beach)
17 PAUL ADAMS (Albany) P. Adams OPEN GROUP - 1600c.c. CLASS Toyota Corolla GT 1587
ALLAN WOOLF (Whangaparoa)
18 STEVE WILLY (Green Bay) S. Willy OPEN GROUP - 1600c.c. CLASS Toyota Corolla GT 1588
KERRY BOLTON (Auckland)
19 KEVIN SIMPSON (Whitby) Archer Lupp Services OPEN GROUP - 1600c.c. CLASS Toyota Corolla GT 1588
DANIE LUPP (Khandallah)
20 MIKE TAYLOR OPEN GROUP - 1600c.c. CLASS VW Golf GTi
TIM TAYLOR
21 MURRAY O'DONNELL (Auckland) Auckland Motors/C.R.C. CLASS B - 2001c.c. & Over - New Zealand Assembled Mitsubishi Tredia Turbo 2240T
DAVE PARTON (Auckland)
JOHN TEE (Ruakaka)
41 KEN SMITH (Manurewa) Philips Electrical/Panmure Motors CLASS C - 1801c.c.-2000c.c. - New Zealand Assembled Ford Telstar GL 2000
JOHN POWER (Wellington)
42 JIM DONALD (Bucklands Beach) D. & W. Ford Pukekohe CLASS C - 1801c.c.-2000c.c. - New Zealand Assembled Ford Telstar GL 2000
TED JARVIS (Hillsborough)
43 PHIL MYHRE (Rotorus) Lakeland Ford CLASS C - 1801c.c.-2000c.c. - New Zealand Assembled Ford Telstar GL 2000
GRAEME BOWKETT (Auckland)
44 BRUCE LEES (Papakura) Lees Ford/Mainfreight CLASS C - 1801c.c.-2000c.c. - New Zealand Assembled Ford Telstar GL 2000
NEIL ALLPORT (Auckland)
45 JOCK MACVICAR (Auckland) Macdonald Halligan Motors Ltd. CLASS C - 1801c.c.-2000c.c. - New Zealand Assembled Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo 1974
ROSS MACDONALD (Auckland)
DEREK MACDONALD (Auckland)
46 PHIL ORNSTIEN (Pukekohe) P. R. Ornstien CLASS C - 1801c.c.-2000c.c. - New Zealand Assembled Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo 1974
BOB GIBBONS (Eastbourne)
47 ROY HISCOCK (Lower Hutt) Lynwood Homes Ltd. CLASS C - 1801c.c.-2000c.c. - New Zealand Assembled Mitsubishi Sigma GLX 2000
COLIN KITCHINGMAN (Walnuiomata)
48 RAY WILLIAMS (Orewa) Nissan New Zealand CLASS C - 1801c.c.-2000c.c. - New Zealand Assembled Nissan Bluebird 2000
ELVIE WILLIAMS (Orewa)
49 GEORGE FURY CLASS C - 1801c.c.-2000c.c. - New Zealand Assembled Nissan Bluebird
REG COOK
61 ED. LAMONT (Marsetai Beach) Hertz CLASS E - 1351c.c.-1500c.c. - New Zealand Assembled Ford Laser Sport 1500
PETE AMBLER (Pakuranga)
62 DAVID SLATER (Bucklands Beach) McMillan Ford Auckland CLASS E - 1351c.c.-1500c.c. - New Zealand Assembled Ford Laser Sport 1490
COLIN BOND (Sydney)
63 WIN JACOB (Mt. Roskill) Ted Jarvis Racing/Jacob Demolition CLASS E - 1351c.c.-1500c.c. - New Zealand Assembled Ford Laser Sport 1500
NEIL JOHNS (Whangarei)
64 WARWICK IRVING (Papatoetoe) Auckland Fork Truck Hire CLASS E - 1351c.c.-1500c.c. - New Zealand Assembled Ford Laser Sport 1490
PAUL CHRISTIE (Bucklands Beach)
65 SYDNEY GARDINER (Wiri) South Auckland Motors CLASS E - 1351c.c.-1500c.c. - New Zealand Assembled Ford Laser Sport 1500
RUPERT GARDINER (Papatoetoe)
66 BRYCE PLATT (Meadowbank) Shaker Run/Mirage Film Co. CLASS E - 1351c.c.-1500c.c. - New Zealand Assembled Ford Laser Sport 1500
LANCE JOHNSTON (Henderson)
67 BOB SMITH (Fordell) Bob Smith Motors Fordell CLASS E - 1351c.c.-1500c.c. - New Zealand Assembled Ford Laser Sport 1500
RAY PURDY (Wanganui)
68 BILL WILLIAMS (Auckland) General Equipment/Commercial Linen CLASS E - 1351c.c.-1500c.c. - New Zealand Assembled Ford Laser Sport 1490
ROBIN REID (Auckland)
69 MURRAY STARNES (Palm. North) Comfort Zone Waterbed Centres CLASS E - 1351c.c.-1500c.c. - New Zealand Assembled Ford Laser Sport 1500
ALAN CURTIS (Palm. North)
70 MIKE AUSTIN (Hamilton) M. Austin CLASS E - 1351c.c.-1500c.c. - New Zealand Assembled Ford Laser Sport 1500
JIM CLARK (Auckland)
BRIAN LAWRENCE (Auckland)
71 DAUNTSEY TEAGLE (Torbay) Unipart/Motorcorp CLASS E - 1351c.c.-1500c.c. - New Zealand Assembled Honda Civic Sport 1488
CHARLIE MUNRO (Sandringham)
72 MARK JENNINGS (Wellington) U.D.C. Finance/Leycars CLASS E - 1351c.c.-1500c.c. - New Zealand Assembled Honda Civic Sport 1488
DAVE BARROW (Wellington)
73 BRIAN AUDAS (Hamilton) Bowie Keith Motors Cambridge CLASS E - 1351c.c.-1500c.c. - New Zealand Assembled Honda Civic Sport 1488
STUART McFARLANE (Hamilton)
74 GRANT CAMPBELL (Auckland) Percy Honda CLASS E - 1351c.c.-1500c.c. - New Zealand Assembled Honda Civic Sport 1488
RON CAMPBELL (Takapuna)
75 JACK DRUMMOND CLASS E - 1351c.c.-1500c.c. - New Zealand Assembled Honda Civic Sport
BRYAN HARTLEY
76 GEOFF BURROWS CLASS E - 1351c.c.-1500c.c. - New Zealand Assembled Ford Laser Sport
DON HALLIDAY
81 BRENDAN DUGAN (Papakura) B. Dugan CLASS F - 0-1350c.c. - New Zealand Assembled Toyota Corolla 1285
HUGH MUNRO (Ramarama)
82 GRAEME DE PINA CLASS F - 0-1350c.c. - New Zealand Assembled Daihatsu Charade
MURRAY HART
83 WARREN HORN CLASS F - 0-1350c.c. - New Zealand Assembled Honda Civic LX
PHIL HORN

Cars 14 and 15 noted as withdrawn, so presumably didn't appear (my guess). Car 76 listed as non-starter. In car 7 Dick Johnson replaced Wayne Anderson. Car 12 and 45 seems to have the same drivers entered for two cars!?

Jesper

Last edited by Jesper OH; 15 Sep 2011 at 17:26.
Old 20 Sep 2011, 12:55 (Ref:2958504)   #47
brendonwood1
Rookie

Australia
Thanks for posting this up Jesper. I saw that entry list on The Roaring Season.

There are a few threads of interest on that forum. One has pictures of the white Leo Leonard Falcon XD in its "Group A" trim during the 1984 NZ Touring Car Championship (near the bottom of this thread: http://www.theroaringseason.com/show...e-Thread/page4).

Also, there are some great threads on there including on the 1986 Nissan Mobil series and another titles "Images from my Past" which has lots of pictures of NZ touring car races from the mid 1980s.

The forum seems to have a lot of New Zealand posters, so it is likely to be a very good place to ask about the various NZ races from this period. In one thread (the one with the entry list above in fact), a question was raised about the Collingwood Nissan 300ZX. No one came up with much unfortunately beyond what we have already posted.

In regards to the entry list, I can confirm that the McDonalds and Jock McIver started in the Mirage Turbo (car #45) and not a Mitsubishi Starion (car #12).
Old 27 Dec 2011, 12:14 (Ref:3004486)   #48
brendonwood1
Rookie

Australia
Time to revive this thread. The Roaring Season website has a thread full of photos of the 1985 Nissan Sport 500 at Wellington. This thread includes an entry list for the race.
The thread is here: http://www.theroaringseason.com/show...et-Race-Photos

The entry list is in post 11.

There were 26 cars originally entered for the race. Several did not make it.
Of interest is that the entry lists includes two Mustangs - one for Dick Johnson and one for Laurie Nelson/Peter Jones.
Neither made it. I think Johnson was keen to debut the Mustang at Wellington, but decided that it was better to prepare the car properly for the 1985 ATCC. So, instead he opted to share the Falcon with Bruce Anderson (which was renumber as 17 instead of 7 as per the entry list).

Also, there are five Commodores on the entry list, while three actually started at Wellington. The McLean/Harrop car did not start at Wellington, but may have started at Pukekohe. I believe this was likely to be the VH SS that McLean had raced for several years in NZ.

The other Commodore that did not make it was the Mark Jennings/Dave Barrow car. I am not sure what car they intended to use.

Another car that is listed on the entry list that did not start was the Ford Escort RS2000 of Tony Mulvihill/Barry Jones.

Finally, the original entry list shows that the Volvo is entered for Mark Petch/Pierre Dieudonne. We know that this became an entry for Francevic/Delcourt.

There are also some great photos in the thread for those who are interested.
Old 27 Dec 2011, 22:42 (Ref:3004660)   #49
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Hmm interesting stuff once again!

Just wondering, I couldn't find quick reference in the 635 thread but did we confirm the identify of the Sytner/Morton car?

As it's a left hooker, i'm assuming it must be either his original 1983 car? The only other possibility would be the ex Eggenberger car that CC Motorsport ran as a spare in 1984 before Frank bought the whole lot off them at the end of that season?
Old 27 Dec 2011, 23:15 (Ref:3004670)   #50
brendonwood1
Rookie

Australia
It could be the ex-Eggenburger car? My only reason for stating this is that Malcolm posted a picture of a yellow ex-Eggenburger car in the 1987 NZ thread that was taken at an Auckland motor show in 2000. Although I think that the suggestion was that this was the ex DSIR BMW.
The ex-DSIR BMW is a different car. It was used by Graeme Crosby in the 1986 series.
John Morton also raced a BMW in the 1986 Nissan Mobil series, sharing it with Jim Richards. I am assuming that Morton used the same car that he shared with Synter in 1985. I am not sure who ended up with the Morton car after the 1986 series. There were several 635CSis that were raced for a few years in NZ in hands of various drivers. I did read that the Morton car is still in NZ and has been returned to its 1985 Nissan Sport 500 livery.

So, it would be interesting to confirm the history of the Synter/Morton car - both pre 1985 and post 1986 once Morton sold it.
Also, it would be good to have confirmation of the history of the DSIR car that is being discussed in the 1987 thread.