Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 17 May 2011, 02:40 (Ref:2881416)   #76
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiller View Post
Watching it back again - I dont think Morris was really that rude. Reviewing the incidents, I had the following.

RACE 1
- Morris made a big move down the bottom - he came from a long way back, and it was aggressive, but I don't think they would have made contact had Percat noticed he was there. In the situation, Morris was committed and had no other options but to make contact when Percat tried to make the corner with his normal line - Percat could have yielded and avoided contact - it may have been soft but when playing for a title you need to know when and who to fight.
-Into T1 - Morris hard on McLaughlin's tail, gets about three hits from behind, lifting Morris' rear tyres and pushing them wide - Percat goes past the two of them - It then looks like PM tries to get the power down, buzzes the tyres - hit's percat's rear 1/4 (seems unintentional given he was loose anyway) and spins off into the dirt.
-On restart he finds Percat and holds him up a little when letting the field past then lets him go and tacks onto his tail. - I think he had a plan there but didn't actually excecute it.

RACE 2
Morris has tyre go down (almost sounds like days of thunder) and pits. Again, finds Percat on track and follows for a number of laps - at times appears to sacrifice his own speed to not hit Percat mid corner - particularly in the final turn.
Into T1 - Morris bumps Percat in much the same manner as was done to him in R1 - Only pushed him wide into the marbles (not off the track) and Percat spins basically just like Morris was going to in Race 1. - Plan from R1 excecuted

IMO - it looked plain and simply like a square up. He was only going to do exactly what was done to him. The fact that PM did hold him up for a couple of corners was rude, and that he did most of the above a lap down was very rude but in his position and if the upstart didn't make any form of acknowledgment of guilt - I'd probably do the same. Essentially Percat cost him a result in R1 - Being pre-meditated is nothing new - it just means that for once the general public knew about it and it made it more of a spectacle.

As a viewer I love this stuff - as a competitor it sucks, but essentially - If your driver ****es someone off, it's best to get that sorted before they hit the track again. That's more important in sedan's and when the ****ed off driver is an enforcer as anything can and does happen.
I'm with this guy.

Percat gave it, percat copped it. End of story. Load of **** how some people can get away with stuff, and others are penalized.

After watching the reply a few times, it was an exactly identicle hit. Percat should build a bridge, and that'll be the end of it. Unless Morris comes out and spins him again, i cant see a problem (other than the fact percat DIDNT get a penalty in the first race)
Old 17 May 2011, 02:44 (Ref:2881417)   #77
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiller View Post
-Into T1 - Morris hard on McLaughlin's tail, gets about three hits from behind, lifting Morris' rear tyres and pushing them wide -
That was the point that I had the Clipsal commentary ringing in my head. The bit about Percat being "known to be hot headed and likely to get the red mist" or words very similar, just before he punted Thomson.

Had a real sense of de ja vue, only this time it bit him on the arse.
Old 17 May 2011, 05:38 (Ref:2881432)   #78
williamsf1
Veteran

williamsf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Adelaide:

If you were privvy to the data, I think you will find Thommo braked into turn 5 at Clipsal VERY early..... and also hurriedly closed the door as he was late seeing that he was going to get done on the over lap.....

Perth:

Percat is now supposed to drive around with the "come on down from 3 car lengths" sticker on the boot lid???

I think you will find the stewards have a different opinion

maybe you both need to have a listen to the audio on the previous page...

Morris was hitting Scotty, so Scotty lifted mid-corner to settle his now unsettled car (grip limited at the point)....

Percat runs his normal mid corner speed and presses on PM's rear bar....

The rest was just PM running out of talent and giving himself a monster tank slapper!

Here is PM an known hard racer, gets hard raced.... then has to turn to the only thing he knows when he ends up spat out the side like a 2yr olds dummy!!

DIRTY!

I did love Ingall's reaction of " my boss is a %$#% and that sir was funny "
Old 17 May 2011, 06:00 (Ref:2881436)   #79
Spiller
Rookie

Australia
Geelong
Spiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsf1 View Post
Adelaide:

Percat is now supposed to drive around with the "come on down from 3 car lengths" sticker on the boot lid???

I think you will find the stewards have a different opinion

I did love Ingall's reaction of " my boss is a %$#% and that sir was funny "
As I stated above - Morris came from a long way back - AND IT WAS AGGRESSIVE. In that situation Morris has nothing to lose - Percat has a championship - Be smart ******** and avoid contact with the recluse that has dive-bombed you. Or be wise to the fact that Morris can drive and will attempt that move, and look to prevent it.

Turning in on a car that is on the limit and has nowhere to go has one result and one result only. Loosing a position to a guy not in the hunt, but is aggresive is smart risk management - especially given Morris wasn't slower than Percat. Hell, work with the bloke and work to put him behind the next guy in front and have him open the door for you.

And I thought Rusty's look was more of a - "This will be amusing, I'd hate to be Percat right now" - the other thing is that you don't acutally know exactly when that clip was taken - It could have been when Danny Green put it in the sand - who knows for sure - It's called selective editing.
Old 17 May 2011, 07:58 (Ref:2881476)   #80
williamsf1
Veteran

williamsf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Errrr... have another look champ, at the turn in point Percat is already commited ( at the braking limit and already committed to a certain line ) He is hardly expected to roll over and play doggo to any car within 5 car lengths!!!

If like you say he could actually see Morris ( have you sat in a VE supercar??? - bar work, HANS, helmet, reduce the field of view massively ) His eyes (Percat) would have been firmly forward on his apex, then exit line....

If you start to mirror drive, then you might as well park it!!

Ask Ingall privately what his reaction was

Anyhow... have you bothered to listen to the audio???

PM has bigger problems coming.... I hope he has Johnny Cochrane!!! ( no its not Tony's cousin! )

oh wait he is dead????..... oh well, I guess he is stuffed like a fat turkey then eh???

http://sportradio.com.au/?p=755
Old 17 May 2011, 08:10 (Ref:2881484)   #81
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Errrr... have another look champ, at the turn in point Percat is already commited ( at the braking limit and already committed to a certain line ) He is hardly expected to roll over and play doggo to any car within 5 car lengths!!!

If like you say he could actually see Morris ( have you sat in a VE supercar??? - bar work, HANS, helmet, reduce the field of view massively ) His eyes (Percat) would have been firmly forward on his apex, then exit line....

PM has bigger problems coming.... I hope he has Johnny Cochrane!!! ( no its not Tony's cousin! )

oh wait he is dead????..... oh well, I guess he is stuffed like a fat turkey then eh???

I've had a few looks, still looks the same to me. Opportunistic pass, that was pulled off without either car going off the track, and neither car with anything other then a realigned door skin.

The next 2 things that happened were an exact copy of eachother, car was forced slightly wide on a dirty line and around they both went.

I was hoping our series was done with the golden boy untouchable crap we had a few years back, but going by some of the posts in here, obviously not gonna happen.
Old 17 May 2011, 10:29 (Ref:2881552)   #82
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post

I was hoping our series was done with the golden boy untouchable crap we had a few years back, but going by some of the posts in here, obviously not gonna happen.
A back marker deliberately dumps someone a lap ahead, CAMS need to take action against PMM.
Old 17 May 2011, 11:29 (Ref:2881580)   #83
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWRv12 View Post
A back marker deliberately dumps someone a lap ahead, CAMS need to take action against PMM.
CAMS need to take action against the person who spun someone first, or they should just back off completely. Cant have rules for one but not the other...
Old 17 May 2011, 11:42 (Ref:2881585)   #84
davester
Racer

davester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only time CAMS and VESA take any action is when they take a shot at a privateer or low budget team who doesn't have the resources to fight back.

We've seen plenty of V8 Supercar incidents in the last two years where competitors from well heeled teams get away with dumping low budget competitors...it seems like certain people know who butters their bread.
Old 18 May 2011, 03:14 (Ref:2881937)   #85
Spiller
Rookie

Australia
Geelong
Spiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Obviously you have are a little biased, which is fine, but you need to open your eyes a little here. I've listened to the audio and my take on that was that they might make a reccomendation to CAMS about his license (may being the operative word as he was talking about what options they have, not the course of action that they intend to take) - he actually says he'd prefer not to fine people. If I believe it was just a touch rude - and payback being served, there is a chance that CAMS may see it the same way and take no action.

And I'm not completely braindead. I may not have sat in a VE supercar, but have been in plenty of caged cars and realise how limited you are on visibility. But I also know that on right hand bends particularly, when a car dives up the inside it gets your attention in the Convex rear view mirror - it's called peripheral vision. You don't need to be looking at it to spot something arrive at your RH rear door - it's just pure and simply noticable if the mirror is set right - and it's for this exact reason.

At no point did I say he should roll over and play dead - but if the car is already inside you - you cannot follow the line because "that was the line I was intending to take". Instead leave your turn in for another 3 metres - maybe slow the car up a little more before you turn in wider on the track and try to switch back as the other car is compromised on exit speed because he still needs to make the turn. Dont give him your car to help him make the corner!!!

If he didn't see him, he needs to work on that aspect because there are worse people to drive against than Morris getting about - and he'll be on track with a lot of them this year and on less forgiving circuits.

And Re your previous post - you also think it's ok to punt someone if that is your normal corner speed??? Don't get me wrong - I think cars should be allowed to bump, but when you are hitting another car, that is firmly in the car in front of him - what is likely to hapen? V8's are difficult in that there is little room to change your mind once committed - but you also need to weigh up what is happening around you and react accordingly. Morris had nowhere to go once he had made contact. Percat had an option to slow up a little more before turning in to avoid the back of Morris - he choose not to take that option - hence why is regarded by many in the way that he is. He seems to have quite a selfish attitude and appears to be a hypocrite in viewing the incidents that he is involved in only from his own point of view, and not thinking about - if I were that in that guy's position and someone did it to me, how would I feel/react?

Effectively Percat is a young Morris, he needs to learn some respect for other people on the track - be them (in his terms)old fart rich blokes - or the other young guys like him trying to go on to bigger things. I don't like a lot of what Morris says or does - But he is 10 times better than he was when he started - Percat should try to get to that point now as he doesn't have the $$ to keep him in the game when he has upset all and sundry.

BTW - I was happy to see Morris penalised, especially for having been excluded for ignoring the black flag - so this isn't a one sided thing for me. But Percat was by no means innocent - and his portrayal of such tends to be what puts people offside. An apology for punting Paul post race 1 and the Seinfeld "I'm sorry wave" probably would have prevented Race 2 - but I guess we'll never know. Pretending you did nothing wrong makes blood boil and we have all seen the end result.
Old 18 May 2011, 03:19 (Ref:2881939)   #86
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i laugh at stealthy saying they were exactaly the same

one was for position, one was a lap down. hardly exactly the same
Old 18 May 2011, 08:53 (Ref:2882019)   #87
Malfunction Junction
Racer

Malfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMalfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK, here's my take;

Morris dive-bombed Percat and made it stick. A good move. The hip and shoulder on the way out of the corner was a bit unnecessary, but that's Morris being a dill and therefore to be expected.

Morris is then held up in turn 1 by, er, whatsisname and makes contact with aforementioned....driver. Percat doesn't pick the contact and joins in the conga line. This sort of thing happens 20 times a lap in the main series and isn't an issue, except that Morris got upset and lost it.

The discussion over the radio was the crucial point, in my view. If it was "what goes around comes around" or "karma's a female dog", then let it go, but "You know which one Percat is" and so on is just rubbish. - disreputable, even.

Getting stuck in and holding up Percat is the point where being civil about it went out the window, and that isn't at Percat's door.

The thing about taking Percat out of the 2nd race was that Morris had to have at least 2 goes at it. Not the sign of an artist.....on track at least.

Morris clearly breached the rules in both races and frankly I'd prefer that there was a later hearing and a suspension, but I think it won't happen due to the stewards at the race taking action on the results.

Shame, really.

I see Percat as being like a young Tander. That is, shows great potential. He's a very, very long way in front of Morris' ability at ANY point. Furthermore, it's great to see HRT supporting a young bloke rather than ripping them to shreds every time they're involved in something that didn't go perfectly to plan......
Old 22 May 2011, 05:16 (Ref:2883745)   #88
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Is This HRT's reponse?

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods