Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Apr 2010, 01:44 (Ref:2678821)   #151
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Matt awesome cars.I would love to see them have a go at a road track.
Describing the iterlocking protection cages as not constituting open wheelers is being very picky!
Bet these guys know what racing is all about!
If you want to get a flavor of this stuff, just YouTube it.

Check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8V1T3ZZKL4
Old 24 Apr 2010, 03:17 (Ref:2678832)   #152
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
If you want to get a flavor of this stuff, just YouTube it.

Check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8V1T3ZZKL4
Watching them on video makes them seem so much slower than they are in real life.
Old 24 Apr 2010, 12:54 (Ref:2678971)   #153
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Watching them on video makes them seem so much slower than they are in real life.
I've found that to be the case with motorsport in general. When you're actually at the track it's much faster.
Old 25 Apr 2010, 00:57 (Ref:2679161)   #154
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
to be honest, I was quite impressed with how darn fast they moved keester out of the corners and down the straight, and how planted they were in general.

interesting to see how the modifieds dont have a transmission or starter, direct drive (if I am right from seeing another youtube video of a driver showing off his car, engine as even set to the left of the chassis, inside side.)
Old 25 Apr 2010, 03:30 (Ref:2679190)   #155
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb View Post
to be honest, I was quite impressed with how darn fast they moved keester out of the corners and down the straight, and how planted they were in general.

interesting to see how the modifieds dont have a transmission or starter, direct drive (if I am right from seeing another youtube video of a driver showing off his car, engine as even set to the left of the chassis, inside side.)
Mods have a gearbox and starter, it's midgets and Sprint cars that don't.
Old 25 Apr 2010, 03:44 (Ref:2679192)   #156
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
The Modifieds look very quick considering how short the track is, the passing is very quick, they are very responsive! It is good to see such close racing.
I would love to see these cars on a road course - they would be awesome!

Was the driver of the car at the end badly hurt by the exploding engine?
There was a lot of fire and no apparent movement for a long time!
Old 25 Apr 2010, 04:46 (Ref:2679198)   #157
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
The Modifieds look very quick considering how short the track is, the passing is very quick, they are very responsive! It is good to see such close racing.
I would love to see these cars on a road course - they would be awesome!

Was the driver of the car at the end badly hurt by the exploding engine?
There was a lot of fire and no apparent movement for a long time!
The safety team got there really quickly and the driver was ok.

I wouldn't have posted the clip if the driver had been seriously injured, or worse.
Old 25 Apr 2010, 07:12 (Ref:2679211)   #158
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
righto, I saw a clip of what I thought was a mod. will look at it again.

oh, and the flaming engine, comments in the youtube thing seemed to indicate that it was a fluid fire (steering fluid or something) and was not that major a problem for the driver, despite looking scarey. I would tend to agree as if it were me being burned, I would be on the brakes faster than fast, he didnt appear to be overly concerned.
Old 25 Apr 2010, 07:18 (Ref:2679212)   #159
djb
Veteran

Quote:
looked at clip again, was on same page as the one put in earlier

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBhc8...eature=related

in it, driver describes his supermodified, as no tranny, no starter, no battery, direct drive to driveshaft to engine, 1 gear, either can have it in gear or in neutral.

take a peek

oh, and 850 hp, 750 ft lbs of torque
plus he describes how the wing works, air shocks do it.
Old 25 Apr 2010, 08:30 (Ref:2679228)   #160
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
F1 engines have around 250 ft lbs of torque. But this is greatly multilplied at the wheels because the higher rpm limit of an F1 car requires much lower gearing.

And now back to Zoran.

Or whatever this thread is about?

Last edited by Marbot; 25 Apr 2010 at 08:43.
Old 25 Apr 2010, 14:08 (Ref:2679368)   #161
djb
Veteran

[QUOTE=Marbot;2679228]F1 engines have around 250 ft lbs of torque. But this is greatly multilplied at the wheels because the higher rpm limit of an F1 car requires much lower gearing.

Is it just me or does that not make sense? lower gearing? 200+whatever mph needs X gearing whether the engine is turning at 2000rpm or 18K.

I would like to do some searches for torque ratings based on some older engines (5 years maybe) that would point to the torque ft lbs. 250 seems rather low.

One thing I have never really properly understood is the hp/torque relationship in an engine, and how diff engines have diff ratios, that I admit , and have heard in the past of these engines not having super high torque ratings. Just odd with the high hp, but again, i dont really follow it.
Old 25 Apr 2010, 14:20 (Ref:2679373)   #162
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
[QUOTE=djb;2679368]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
F1 engines have around 250 ft lbs of torque. But this is greatly multilplied at the wheels because the higher rpm limit of an F1 car requires much lower gearing.

Is it just me or does that not make sense? lower gearing? 200+whatever mph needs X gearing whether the engine is turning at 2000rpm or 18K.

I would like to do some searches for torque ratings based on some older engines (5 years maybe) that would point to the torque ft lbs. 250 seems rather low.

One thing I have never really properly understood is the hp/torque relationship in an engine, and how diff engines have diff ratios, that I admit , and have heard in the past of these engines not having super high torque ratings. Just odd with the high hp, but again, i dont really follow it.
I think what the OP meant is that although the torque figure for the F1 engine seems much lower the power won't be because of the high rpm as power is proportional to torque multiplied by rpm.
Old 25 Apr 2010, 14:28 (Ref:2679377)   #163
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
In other words, you can multiply torque by using lower gearing, but you cannot multiply horsepower by the same means.

Actually, the torque output of a current F1 engine is much lower than I had originally thought!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formula_One_engines

Let's get back on topic shall we.
Old 25 Apr 2010, 15:33 (Ref:2679405)   #164
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I was under the impression that this thread was about "Driver Reprimand" can we get it back on topic please...
Old 26 Apr 2010, 15:30 (Ref:2679974)   #165
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Brundle had a point, when he asked exactly what reprimand meant. Is it a fancy way of saying the drivers were scolded, are the drivers both on probation for a specified length of time, or what?
Old 26 Apr 2010, 21:16 (Ref:2680184)   #166
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
To my mind it's very much like giving a player a yellow card in football. You've transgressed once, next time you will be punished.
Old 27 Apr 2010, 01:43 (Ref:2680261)   #167
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Apparently not - Hamilton has a reprimand for Weaving followed by a reprimand for a racing contest in the pits and no penalty has been imposed
Old 27 Apr 2010, 01:50 (Ref:2680263)   #168
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Apparently not - Hamilton has a reprimand for Weaving followed by a reprimand for a racing contest in the pits and no penalty has been imposed
They can't keep on giving reprimands, otherwise it looks weak.
Old 27 Apr 2010, 02:01 (Ref:2680265)   #169
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
They can't keep on giving reprimands, otherwise it looks weak.

Lewis Hamilton did nothing wrong he was trying to "break" the tow get it?
Old 27 Apr 2010, 02:08 (Ref:2680267)   #170
wnut
Veteran

As I recall he was given a warning for weaving during the race!
Old 27 Apr 2010, 02:15 (Ref:2680271)   #171
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Lewis Hamilton did nothing wrong he was trying to "break" the tow get it?
I didn't mention Lewis I was talkng about dishing out reprimands and if that's all that's going to happen, when a driver does something wrong it looks weak and innefectual.
Old 27 Apr 2010, 02:34 (Ref:2680277)   #172
djb
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
I was under the impression that this thread was about "Driver Reprimand" can we get it back on topic please...
sorry, this did get going all over didnt it (interesting though nonetheless)

I consider myself one of those guilty and am therefore reprimanded.
Old 27 Apr 2010, 02:54 (Ref:2680281)   #173
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
As I recall he was given a warning for weaving during the race!
Weaving, knitting, Croquet, The man was racing..You want racing right don't you? Or on the menu is very expensive but politically correct Sunday afternoon tossing around on a race track?

Make up your bloody mind....
Old 27 Apr 2010, 03:10 (Ref:2680285)   #174
wnut
Veteran

I want racing.
I do however feel that there are some actions that demand the stiffest censure to ensure they do not happen again. The stewards should also act as a reminder that a driver should use his head and not unnecessarily and recklessly endanger others. The reprimand for weaving was probably correct. The reprimand for racing in the pit lane was not enough! Placing others at risk like that is just gross misconduct and should have attracted massive censure! That action would have been subject to a massive wack around the ears in any category of racing. Just not Mr Hamilton in F1, and only Mr Hamilton in F1 I submit!

Coming on top of the previous race censure it is in the realms of a farce!
Old 27 Apr 2010, 08:31 (Ref:2680370)   #175
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
About as much of a farce as Hamilton's 10-place grid penalty after hitting Raikkonen at the Canadian GP 2 years ago...