Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 23 Jul 2012, 22:45 (Ref:3110562)   #3701
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well that does not sound like a team that plans to leave the sport anytime soon!
Old 24 Jul 2012, 02:52 (Ref:3110607)   #3702
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Only issue is that with new rules coming in '13, it doesn't make much sense for Audi to develop a whole new system in only a few months time to replace one that they've worked on for a couple of years now, unless it's something to supplement the flywheel unit.

Also, such a system, if radically different than what they have now, would likely require Audi to redesign the tub of the R18, again, which means 3 new cars in as many years for Audi, and counting the R15 '09 and '10 models, that'd make 5 cars in 5 racing seasons for Audi, which is as bad as F1. I mean, the R10 lasted 3 years without major revisions, and the old R8 lasted 6.5 years before the R10 replaced it.

And I don't quite see the connection here--I know that Audi sell engines to KTM for the X-Bow, but we also have to remember on the motorcycle front that Audi, with Volkswagen Group, just bought Ducati. Also, I don't know if Ducati or KTM can really help Audi out with their hybrid stuff for the R18. Hopefully what they'll get is an improvement and won't require Audi to design a new car like they've by and large done the past 5 or so years. But it is obvious that on the hybrid tech front that Audi wants to keep their edge over TMG/Toyota.
Old 24 Jul 2012, 07:12 (Ref:3110650)   #3703
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Edge over Toyota's hybrid? I thought they conceded that Toyota's was better. If they're trying for a new hybrid system it's to better Toyota's. If their system is already superior, what would be the use in changing it? I think running their 'Quattro' system is another reason they're hybrid isn't giving them the boost in performance over the Ultra.
Old 3 Aug 2012, 12:04 (Ref:3115580)   #3704
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Well Well.
With a little sister (who have been taught well from home) might have made a little scoop on her visit at both the KTM factory and Red Bull garage in Austria.
Unfortunalty my information is short, and a bit inaccurate (have asked her to clarify to me soon), but but but, she has been told that Audi is working together with one of the companies (most likely KTM) on next years Hybrid engine for Le Mans!
Again, i need her to clarify it for me, what exactly they said, and what company it was, but it seems that the Williams system was a one year try.
Well, she has finally returned home, and i got a clarification.
She had talked to one of KTM's engineers, who said that they do work together with Audi on their Le Mans car, in the Hybrid sector. How much, and how deep this is, she wasn't told. It was only mentioned as an example.
But to my knowledge, Audi hasn't partnered with KTM before!?
Old 3 Aug 2012, 12:34 (Ref:3115591)   #3705
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
But to my knowledge, Audi hasn't partnered with KTM before!?
KTM's X-Bow uses an Audi 2.0 TFSI 4-cyl engine.
Old 3 Aug 2012, 15:57 (Ref:3115663)   #3706
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
KTM's X-Bow uses an Audi 2.0 TFSI 4-cyl engine.
Yes , What i meant was in Le Mans.
Old 4 Aug 2012, 01:36 (Ref:3115835)   #3707
nasdriv87
Veteran

Brazil
Brazil
nasdriv87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

huh????

Maybe Audi leaving endurance racing soon?!?!?!?

http://fourtitude.com/news/motorspor...oss-durheimer/
Old 4 Aug 2012, 09:12 (Ref:3115893)   #3708
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Not for now according to that article.
Quote:
Regarding Audi at Le Mans, Ingolstadtā€™s new R&D Boss stated to EVO, ā€œAudi have won Le Mans 11 times but Porsche have won it 16 times, so Audi will keep coming back until it has broken Porscheā€™s record.ā€
Old 4 Aug 2012, 09:45 (Ref:3115899)   #3709
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also in the above article, they say Audi will have a Diesel and Porsche a petrol car in 2014, but I thought they just banned Diesels for LMP1 in 2014?
Old 4 Aug 2012, 09:47 (Ref:3115900)   #3710
Creep89
Veteran

Germany
Herne
Creep89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No. Diesel still allowed.
Old 4 Aug 2012, 09:49 (Ref:3115902)   #3711
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well then, I guess Audi is gonna stay in sportscar racing for quite sometime. It will take at least 10 years for them to reach Porsche's record, and that is if Porsche doesn't grab anymore victories.

PS: Nothing will surpass Porsche at Le Mans
Old 4 Aug 2012, 09:50 (Ref:3115903)   #3712
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh okay. Must have just been one of the rumors then that kept getting repeated in the runup to the new rules being announced.
Old 4 Aug 2012, 09:51 (Ref:3115904)   #3713
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
Well then, I guess Audi is gonna stay in sportscar racing for quite sometime. It will take at least 10 years for them to reach Porsche's record, and that is if Porsche doesn't grab anymore victories.

So they said about the Jacky Ickx record
Old 5 Aug 2012, 06:56 (Ref:3116221)   #3714
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Never say never ..... but this can only be good news for the sport if two of VAG's heavyweights are going to slog it out for bragging rights for the next 10 years or so.
Old 12 Aug 2012, 03:20 (Ref:3118850)   #3715
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Most recent (but not very good quality) video of an R18 at EuroSpeedway that was uploaded a few days ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Owc89LRk4Ik
Old 12 Aug 2012, 08:06 (Ref:3118892)   #3716
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Most recent (but not very good quality) video of an R18 at EuroSpeedway that was uploaded a few days ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Owc89LRk4Ik
You know whats super interesting about this video. It seems as though they always needed to put the car in the air and then release it before it could start. The first time they wheeled the R18 out on its own wheels then put in the air hose raise the car. Then dropped it and the car started. Then it stalled. They went back and put the air hose back in and pulled it out. Car starts again and moves away little wheelspin. It reminds me of the rumoured system on the Penske RS Spyders where acceleromters detected the car dropping and automatically started the engine and launch control system to pit speed.

Plus the guy with the compressed air tank was practically following the car and immediately tried to put the hose back in once it stalled. You wouldn't need that to get a car going unless it was something more complex.
Old 12 Aug 2012, 11:00 (Ref:3118930)   #3717
Mad-Dog-mk2
Rookie

Mad-Dog-mk2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most likely practice.
In a race you can save vital tenths by the drivers reaction time in firing up the engine and pulling away when dropped off the jacks, so why not practice it in testing?

If the air hose is needed to start the car or for get aways then why is it not used at a fuel only stop?
Old 12 Aug 2012, 11:16 (Ref:3118934)   #3718
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad-Dog-mk2 View Post
Most likely practice.
In a race you can save vital tenths by the drivers reaction time in firing up the engine and pulling away when dropped off the jacks, so why not practice it in testing?
Indeed.
It's one of the main differences on the Tom K, Biela, Capello R8 car in 2000-2002, compared to the other Audi's. Tom's Audi where always faster in getting out of the pits, as they where running as soon as it touch the ground.
So it's something worth training
Old 12 Aug 2012, 14:07 (Ref:3118979)   #3719
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
It reminds me of the rumoured system on the Penske RS Spyders where acceleromters detected the car dropping and automatically started the engine and launch control system to pit speed.
That's not rumoured, that's pretty common. I know at least some GT Ferraris had it too.
Old 15 Aug 2012, 05:34 (Ref:3120104)   #3720
Articus
Veteran

*Funny Alert*

Audi are rumoured to be testing an all new diesel engine for Silverstone in preparation for the 2014 regs.

Old 16 Aug 2012, 08:54 (Ref:3120608)   #3721
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

Quote:
So they said about the Jacky Ickx record
A non-biased Dane speaking?
Old 16 Aug 2012, 09:34 (Ref:3120627)   #3722
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincegail View Post
A non-biased Dane speaking?
In what possible way could i be biases .

But in general im in the opionion that records (contary rules) are there to be broken
Old 16 Aug 2012, 11:22 (Ref:3120661)   #3723
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Records are to be broken and rules are to be stretched to the limit, not broken indeed!
Old 16 Aug 2012, 15:47 (Ref:3120754)   #3724
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
11th commandment , thou shalt not be found out !!!
Old 16 Aug 2012, 16:27 (Ref:3120759)   #3725
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
So cheating is ok as long as nobody knows?
Don't agree with that.