Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 14 Dec 2011, 19:36 (Ref:2999861)   #2351
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
was the ACO ever involved in any way with the design of the Daytona prototypes? If not, then what you are saying is utter nonsense, but ACO bashing seems to be popular these days.
How is my post ACO bashing, or nonsense? If Audi doesn't fix visibility issues its possible the ACO would step in if there's more accidents. That could lead to ungainly proportions on the LMP's to raise the roof to see better, or widen the cockpit. But you're reading in too far, so take a step back please.
Old 14 Dec 2011, 19:54 (Ref:2999872)   #2352
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
LMDP's?
Now that would be something beautiful to behold, a LMDP with a fin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavobamba View Post
Well just look at this:

http://gustavobamba.deviantart.com/a...tion-273918552

This picture is just for illustrate the Windscreen modification and that a little change don´t transform the car in a DP :-)
I realize your pic is just for the look of the car, but it would surely change the aero aspect (and I am no aero expert).
Mike may have an opinion on this?
Old 14 Dec 2011, 20:06 (Ref:2999883)   #2353
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Well just look at this:

This picture is just for illustrate the Windscreen modification and that a little change don´t transform the car in a DP :-)
It makes the greenhouse look like Darth Vader's helmet

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 14 Dec 2011, 20:45 (Ref:2999908)   #2354
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Evo tests R18.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=0_tt6G0E09Q
Old 14 Dec 2011, 21:01 (Ref:2999918)   #2355
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
How is my post ACO bashing, or nonsense? If Audi doesn't fix visibility issues its possible the ACO would step in if there's more accidents.
There is nothing wrong with the dimensions of the cockpit of closed LMP1s! The rules are the same since 2004 and there were never until the aggressive Audi drivers starting hitting slower GT car
Old 14 Dec 2011, 23:38 (Ref:2999980)   #2356
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Well just look at this:

I repeat, hight is NOT the problem. Otherwise they could just peel off the a bit of windscreen sticker (it covers like the top half of the windscreen). Have a look at this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ovq8K1Bqa1Q
If anything is really wrong with the visibility, the massive pillars must be the problem.
Let's face it. Many LMPs don't even resemble sportscars. They are singleseaters, with tiny fighter-jet-like cockpits and wheels in separate 'pods' barely attached to the chassis and from 2012 they become openwheel singleseaters!

Here's what I meant talking about making the width of the cockpit more acceptable.

i.e.

PS: while we're at it. Here's a version 1900mm-wide with current cockpit and slightly narrower front tires.

Last edited by Pandamasque; 14 Dec 2011 at 23:55.
Old 14 Dec 2011, 23:59 (Ref:2999985)   #2357
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post
Here's what I meant talking about making the width of the cockpit more acceptable.
The width of the cockpit is not an issue either. The R18 has the widest cockpit of all current LMP1s. The 908 is much narrower.
Old 15 Dec 2011, 00:04 (Ref:2999988)   #2358
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I repeat, hight is NOT the problem. Otherwise they could just peel off the a bit of windscreen sticker (it covers like the top half of the windscreen). Have a look at this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ovq8K1Bqa1Q
If anything is really wrong with the visibility, the massive pillars must be the problem.
Let's face it. Many LMPs don't even resemble sportscars. They are singleseaters, with tiny fighter-jet-like cockpits and wheels in separate 'pods' barely attached to the chassis and from 2012 they become openwheel singleseaters!

i.e.
Peeling of a part of the windscreen sticker wouldn't help. The problem with the R18 is the seating position compared to the wheel arches, so yes hight is a problem.
I think it's pretty clear we won't see "open wheelers" in 2012, so why post this?
Looking at Le Mans history, the Bentley and Toyota TS020 is two of the biggest green houses in the history, and should in that state of mind have the Porsche 917, Grp. C/Peugeot 905 as a design goal, which cockpits isn't that different than the 908/R18 except relative "lower"(ei. the old cars has a "lower" cockpit).
In general i have nothing against the current design of cars, except all the mandatory parts, like the Fin and smaller rear wing.

A funny thing. When i started the LMP EVO rules thread, the general opinion was against those rules. Now it's starting to sound that it's what people kinda wants!?.
Old 15 Dec 2011, 00:31 (Ref:2999996)   #2359
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Peeling of a part of the windscreen sticker wouldn't help. The problem with the R18 is the seating position compared to the wheel arches, so yes hight is a problem.
I can't believe Audi (or anyone else) would suddenly sacrifice performance for better visibility (i.e. higher CG). And I doubt fenders can be narrower with those massive front tires.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
I think it's pretty clear we won't see "open wheelers" in 2012, so why post this?
Is it?
Old 15 Dec 2011, 07:39 (Ref:3000077)   #2360
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
The problem is the height of the wheelarches compared to the eyeline of the driver.
Old 15 Dec 2011, 08:38 (Ref:3000089)   #2361
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Most tracks are clock wise, so visibility to the right side is important to see the apex. However, with the big front tyres and right hand drive, visibility to the right side is terrible. Maybe Audi just has to go back left hand drive
Old 15 Dec 2011, 09:37 (Ref:3000106)   #2362
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I can't believe Audi (or anyone else) would suddenly sacrifice performance for better visibility (i.e. higher CG). And I doubt fenders can be narrower with those massive front tires.
Is it?
If the risk is crashing the cars and not finishing, then yes they certainly will sacrifice performance - especially Audi!

If that is what you call open wheelers, then you need to get your definitions checked!
Old 15 Dec 2011, 10:12 (Ref:3000117)   #2363
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
@Pandamasque: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_wheel_car defines that "Open-wheel car, formula car, or often single-seater car in British English, describes cars with the wheels outside the car's main body and, in most cases, one seat."

The mandatory holes in the fenders do not justify the term open wheel.
Moreover, current LMP1s are (potential) two seaters. See http://www.motorsport.com/lemans/pho...tal-peugeot-10
Old 15 Dec 2011, 10:40 (Ref:3000132)   #2364
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
How is my post ACO bashing, or nonsense? If Audi doesn't fix visibility issues its possible the ACO would step in if there's more accidents. That could lead to ungainly proportions on the LMP's to raise the roof to see better, or widen the cockpit. But you're reading in too far, so take a step back please.
read your post again, the inevitable outcome of ACO involvement according to you is ugly cars. However suppose the ACO only regulated the seating hight within the current canopy dimensions? Peugeots and Lolas have no problems, but Audi drivers are sitting on the floor. I am not advocating ACO involvement, I think constructors who field cars which are a nuisance to drive because of poor visibility should act themselves, and if the cars of those constructors cause accidents on a very regular basis, they should be banned.....
Old 15 Dec 2011, 10:52 (Ref:3000140)   #2365
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Agreed , regardless of who it is .
Old 15 Dec 2011, 14:17 (Ref:3000228)   #2366
vyselegend
Racer

France
Paris, France
vyselegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
@Pandamasque: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_wheel_car defines that "Open-wheel car, formula car, or often single-seater car in British English, describes cars with the wheels outside the car's main body and, in most cases, one seat."

The mandatory holes in the fenders do not justify the term open wheel.
Moreover, current LMP1s are (potential) two seaters. See http://www.motorsport.com/lemans/pho...tal-peugeot-10

Panda sure knows what an open-wheeler is (well, I hope), he's just using the word to describe what the rulers have done to the current LMPs with that BHH blasphemy! It's like someone telling "such car is a dog", and you come with a dictonary proving a car is not an animal lol! Don't take everything at the 1st degree!

And that 2 seaters 908 was a rather spectacular accomplishment, considering the actual size of the cockpit. Doesn't look very comfortable though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamasque
I'm not sure I dislike the current narrow greenhouse cars. A few years back I was categoric, but now, looking at both the R18 and TS020, I found the Toyota is the wrong sized one. Still a looker, but the large windshield looks less of an ultimate race compromise, it has aged IMO. Nowadays LMPs look like jet fighters and I like it (although like everyone I prefer they don't take off). The nose pillars are the only thing looking ugly on a 908. On that point, I find the R18 photoshoped by gustavobamba is looking great because it has a narrower nose, which corrects a bit the daffy-duck effect. Good job!
Old 15 Dec 2011, 14:57 (Ref:3000248)   #2367
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by vyselegend View Post

I'm not sure I dislike the current narrow greenhouse cars. A few years back I was categoric, but now, looking at both the R18 and TS020, I found the Toyota is the wrong sized one. Still a looker, but the large windshield looks less of an ultimate race compromise, it has aged IMO. Nowadays LMPs look like jet fighters and I like it (although like everyone I prefer they don't take off). The nose pillars are the only thing looking ugly on a 908. On that point, I find the R18 photoshoped by gustavobamba is looking great because it has a narrower nose, which corrects a bit the daffy-duck effect. Good job!
It will be a very long time from now before anything can esthetically match a Lola T70 or a Chevron B16......
Old 15 Dec 2011, 16:37 (Ref:3000302)   #2368
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
Maybe Audi just has to go back left hand drive
Is it known why they switched to RHD in the first place?
Old 15 Dec 2011, 16:40 (Ref:3000303)   #2369
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
A more universal driving position, for their huge cancelled ALMS project.
Old 15 Dec 2011, 19:38 (Ref:3000413)   #2370
Number7
Racer

Denmark
Copenhagen
Number7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Makes change of drivers easier and faster at LeMans,
Old 17 Dec 2011, 12:49 (Ref:3001184)   #2371
Lppiesaudi
Rookie

Lppiesaudi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Some news on the 2012 Audi testing. They are testing at Sebring this weekend with two cars for comparison testing.

Posted on Audi Sport’s Official Facbook page: “Audi Sport is intensively preparing for the 2012 sports prototype season. A test team has started the next trial phase of the LMP1 sports car for the 2012 season in the United States this week."

Press Release: https://www.audi-mediaservices.com/p...tlichkeit.html

The photo on Facebook from Paul Richard shows new much sharper edges on the nose section.
Old 17 Dec 2011, 12:53 (Ref:3001185)   #2372
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
With a clockwise circuit you might as well have the driver's weight where it will do the most good.
Old 17 Dec 2011, 12:57 (Ref:3001186)   #2373
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lppiesaudi View Post

Some news on the 2012 Audi testing. They are testing at Sebring this weekend with two cars for comparison testing.

Posted on Audi Sport’s Official Facbook page: “Audi Sport is intensively preparing for the 2012 sports prototype season. A test team has started the next trial phase of the LMP1 sports car for the 2012 season in the United States this week."

Press Release: https://www.audi-mediaservices.com/p...tlichkeit.html

The photo on Facebook from Paul Richard shows new much sharper edges on the nose section.
Wich Facebook, Audi or Paul Ricard???
Old 17 Dec 2011, 13:04 (Ref:3001187)   #2374
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Interestingly the car is not being referred to as an "R18" anywhere in that press release, only as a "2012 LMP1".
Old 17 Dec 2011, 13:13 (Ref:3001190)   #2375
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
DAILY SPORTSCAR have posted their observations and speculations here.