Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 17 Dec 2011, 13:16 (Ref:3001192)   #2376
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
DAILY SPORTSCAR have posted their observations and speculations here.
I think the presence of Lotterer and Treluyer confirms where they will be going next year.
Old 17 Dec 2011, 13:22 (Ref:3001194)   #2377
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I wonder how the nose is held to the car as far as the bolts--it seems that the nose box has been a big change--it's narrower, and it seems that the pushrod cranks aren't covered by fairings, and are instead covered by the actual nose box. The brake duct channels/apertures are different and more pronounced.

Not sure about the glass area increase, but it seems like the windshield has either been moved forward or the front of the tub has been changed, namely where the nose box joins it--the area below the windshield is noticeably different from the 2011 car.

Also note that we can't see the changed louver design or the rear fender louvers (or holes, if you prefer) from any angle so far released.
Old 17 Dec 2011, 13:26 (Ref:3001196)   #2378
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Now the roof looks like a big helmet It seems even more upright and bulbous.
Old 17 Dec 2011, 13:33 (Ref:3001200)   #2379
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, the car almost the same, just minor tweeks.

A few post´s back I said the car will be almost the same ans some said: "No, it will look diferent almost a new car... ", well guy´s for the first time i´m right

P.S. unless this car isn´t the final version!!!!!!!
Old 17 Dec 2011, 14:00 (Ref:3001208)   #2380
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Its not the final version
Old 17 Dec 2011, 16:12 (Ref:3001260)   #2381
tje23
Rookie

United Kingdom
Staffordshire, UK
tje23 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2012 Audi Sebring Test (17 December)

Just in case you don't know, Audi are testing at Sebring today. Some pictures have been released on the LMP1 Prototype, and some media outlets are reporting it is utilising Hybrid technology! Any updates?

"After the previous tests of the further development of this year’s Le Mans winning car took place behind closed doors, Audi is now going into public at a race track for the first time. Today (17 Dec), Audi Sport runs tests with two vehicles at the Sebring (Florida) circuit. The second LMP1 sports car serves to compare the test results. Taking turns at the wheel of the two development vehicles are the 2011 Le Mans winners, the Swiss Marcel Fässler, the German André Lotterer and the Frenchman Benoît Tréluyer. Also involved in the tests are Dindo Capello, Tom Kristensen and Allan McNish, who were last victorious at Le Mans in 2008."

"The tradition-steeped American circuit has a special significance for Audi, not only because Audi has celebrated nine victories at the Sebring 12 Hours since the 2000 season. The 5.95-kilometre track that features 17 highly different types of turns offers plenty of variety, which makes for excellent test conditions. The rough concrete of the former airfield’s take-off and landing strip in combination with the tarmac of the other track sectors puts the material to a particularly tough test. On March 17th, the 12-hour race will open the new FIA World Endurance Championship (WEC) as well as the American Le Mans Series (ALMS) at this venue. While the component tests have already started, Audi will not announce the details of the 2012 racing program, the driver line-up and the technical state of the development until a later date."
Old 17 Dec 2011, 17:28 (Ref:3001278)   #2382
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins View Post
Its not the final version
Thank God. I don´t like the nose of The R18 i would like a sharpen front, but that´s is just my opinion
Old 17 Dec 2011, 17:44 (Ref:3001287)   #2383
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Well, now two threads....but, it is nice to see Dindo still around, is he expected to race in the coming year? Also, if one of the chassis at least is hybrid, I am surprised they don't have Dumas involved in the testing giving his experience with the Porsche.
Old 17 Dec 2011, 18:01 (Ref:3001291)   #2384
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
Well, now two threads....but, it is nice to see Dindo still around, is he expected to race in the coming year? Also, if one of the chassis at least is hybrid, I am surprised they don't have Dumas involved in the testing giving his experience with the Porsche.
Merged.......and yes, very good to see Dindo involved!
Old 17 Dec 2011, 18:13 (Ref:3001297)   #2385
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
Merged.......and yes, very good to see Dindo involved!
Thanks and Yes it is!
Old 17 Dec 2011, 18:13 (Ref:3001298)   #2386
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/worl...id-160461.html
Here's another article from Epoch Times about the R18 changes, they have some more direct comparison pictures. As I thought, the fenders look lower (or at least flatter) compared to the old ones.
Old 17 Dec 2011, 18:57 (Ref:3001313)   #2387
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Mike's analysis on the 2012 R18: http://www.mulsannescorner.com/newsnov11.html

Personally I think that the nose was changed because the hybrid system will drive the front wheels!
Old 17 Dec 2011, 19:21 (Ref:3001321)   #2388
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
http://photos.speedtv.com/gallery/LE...TDI_vs_R18_Evo has so very good comparison pictures between the 2011 and 2012 R18.

From the head on shot you can clearly see the cockpit/wind screen has been made more convex.
Old 17 Dec 2011, 22:51 (Ref:3001389)   #2389
tpa8580
Rookie

tpa8580 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it me or does the new car have a more upright windshield?
Old 17 Dec 2011, 23:45 (Ref:3001404)   #2390
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post

Personally I think that the nose was changed because the hybrid system will drive the front wheels!
I'm not sure that the car doesn't have the Big Honking Holes:

Looks like it's possible to see through the front left wheel well.
Old 18 Dec 2011, 00:06 (Ref:3001413)   #2391
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
The R18's old louver package does the same effect from certain angles--and I do believe that I see a carbon strip in that hole like one of the louver plates. With as big as the holes are supposed to be as far as surface area, we should either see a cut out in the top of the rear fenders, or more light entering the wheel well.

Audi may have the 2012 parts as far as those devices at Sebring, but they don't seem to have been used in the PR test photos released to the press.

As to the redesigned nose, it's now suspected that the front suspension has been altered for either improved mechanical grip, to cater for the hybrid system driving the front wheels (sort of unlikely because of ACO restrictions on the activation of such systems), both, or neither--hard to tell since Audi has only released these three photos and no details of technical specs or info, though one has to say that if Audi are confident enough to test the car at Sebring--which is visible to the public--that info may be out fairly soon.

Mike has also hinted that the turbocharger intake has been enlarged--possibly to cool a component of the hybrid system, or, more likely, feed more air to the turbocharger intake to try and force more air though the air restictor and, theoretically, make more power. It seems that Audi is following the way of Peugeot--have one main standard areo package, and refine mechanical grip and engine power to their practical maximums. After all, the R18 was faster than the 908 over a lap at Le Mans, but even there, the R18 was noticeably slower down the straights (they needed to draft with the Pugs to try and make overtaking moves at about every track, not just LM), and areo grip doesn't help a lot in low speed corners and the dirty air of traffic.

And has a meaning to the intake in the lower engine intake of the old R18 been discovered--I think it may've been a dual function component, to feed air into the cockpit and maybe as a boundary layer enhancer or separator.

Last edited by chernaudi; 18 Dec 2011 at 00:13.
Old 18 Dec 2011, 00:42 (Ref:3001420)   #2392
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Sorry for the double post, but I noticed something in the photo of the "new" R18 from the side--is it me, or could the drivers be sitting a bit further forward compared to the old car? That could explain the increased glass area. It's not a great photo or angle, but it does seem that the drivers sit more towards the nose of the car than the older ones. Could that be, or is in an illusion in the photo?
Old 18 Dec 2011, 02:46 (Ref:3001433)   #2393
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
New car is called R18H - it is a flywheel hybrid
Old 18 Dec 2011, 05:00 (Ref:3001441)   #2394
cdsvg
Racer

Australia
cdsvg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Firstly - it appears the fancy boundary layer device on the engine intake is gone (I think), reverting to similar to the debut spec roof scoop.

Looking from the front, the pushrods must be mounted very very low. Pullrod perhaps? Would that arrangement be prohibitive due to the interaction with the front diffuser? Again some considerations to be made if there is a hybrid system driving the front wheels.

Looking closely from the front image there are also interesting jagged cutouts on the leading edge of the panels joining the nose to the fenders. There was a swoop detail there before, but now it is angular.

It also appears to me that the front fenders are exactly the same as the debut spec fenders, which would lead me to suspect that this is a 2012 car testing with some 2011 bodywork. The lack of the fender holes would support this.

I think looking closely at the side image of the old car, the ridge that follows along the bottom of the greenhouse (visible along the bottom of the side window) appears to be gone on the new car. Maybe some evidence for a new tub. Looking at the side image, can we draw any more conclusions about there being a new tub by looking at the parting line where the rear of the tub meets the start of the engine cover?
Old 18 Dec 2011, 08:13 (Ref:3001462)   #2395
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins View Post
New car is called R18H - it is a flywheel hybrid
so as of now a new thread can be opened: R18H....
Old 18 Dec 2011, 09:59 (Ref:3001482)   #2396
Lppiesaudi
Rookie

Lppiesaudi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

First Photos from the Sebring test: http://www.quattroworld.com/audi-r18...ng-at-sebring/
Old 18 Dec 2011, 10:26 (Ref:3001491)   #2397
cdsvg
Racer

Australia
cdsvg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The exhaust pipe is different, circular instead of triangular. I guess that indicates some engine/turbo changes. Also that orange pipe hanging out the back looks interesting.

Still clear that this is just preliminary bodywork though, they need to add the fender holes, etc, and the rear deck (and to my eyes) the front fenders are the same as the 2011 debut spec.
Old 18 Dec 2011, 12:31 (Ref:3001521)   #2398
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
Looks like it's possible to see through the front left wheel well.
That is/was also possible with the 2011 R18. See http://dlstatic.speedtv.com/imageser...Y/1000x800.jpg
At this stage of the development process they are testing the hybrid R18 with the old aero.
Old 18 Dec 2011, 22:04 (Ref:3001661)   #2399
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
From the Sebring photos, here are these observations:

--The boundary layer splitter/cockpit intake on the turbo intake is still there.

--Said turbo intake seems to be a bit larger than in 2011.

--Exhaust exit pipe is rounder and perhaps larger.

--Orange pipe seem to be venting heat or something, maybe from the hybrid system and seem to be improvised until a more permanent solution is found.

--Panels between the nose and front fenders are more like the 2011 sprint pattern used at Imola--a hybrid of the sprint and LM variants.

--As was discerned from the beginning, the nose cone is less platypus- and more wedge-shaped, like the R10's and especially the R8's. It still features the same intake as the '11 R18.

--Cars are currently being used for mechanical testing, and have been testing since at least last month (Paul Ricard photos have been dated Nov. 17th)--it seems that Audi has been working on this version of the R18 since at least Le Mans, if not earlier. Also are fitted with a "hybrid" of the 2011 and 2012 bodywork: No "holes", and aside from the modified nose box and catwalks, the R18H is fitted with bodywork similar to the 2011 LM spec.

--New R18 seems to be set up for right hand refueling only, unlike the R15 and older R18s.

We still have to figure out the front suspension arrangement, and the details of the flywheel system. I don't think that the R18 is using pullrod suspension (though at this stage, it could be possible)--raised nose cancels out the lower CG advantages. If still a pushrod system, it seems that the nose box has been modified to house the cranks within to reduce drag and do away with the need for the detachable fairings.

Also, the only reason why Audi may've opted for the flywheel system is lighter weight than battery storage, though the Porsche system for the 911H was quite heavy in it's own right--Audi must be using a newer, and much more compact/advanced design.

And the enlarged turbo intake and rounder (and perhaps larger) exhaust pipe might be to improve engine breathing and boost power.

Last edited by chernaudi; 18 Dec 2011 at 22:12.
Old 18 Dec 2011, 22:11 (Ref:3001664)   #2400
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
The analysis has been updated with the Sebring pictures from Quattroworld. Mike sees a lot of evidence that the R18H has a new monocoque.

BTW the pictures from the Paul Ricard test were taken one month ago (November 17th).