Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 2 Jun 2006, 09:10 (Ref:1625261)   #1
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Funding and IPO

Everyone has been very quiet since the announcement that A1GP has secured backing by an investment management firm, and aims to raise an initial public offering in the coming months.

There were a couple of interesting points to note as part of this news:

1. Tony Teixeira (who seems to be getting more and more visible) admitted that the series was under-funded during the first season, and that things came to a head halfway through. I take this addmission as a positive as if the financial position was still precarious, I don't think this statement would be made. I think that it is a sign that things have moved on and that the confidence now exists to make this kind of statement.

2. It seems A1GP will no longer be the Sheikh's train set, rather it will need a traditional business structure in order for the IPO to be accepted. Whatever role the Sheikh takes, I hope he will still be applauded for having the vision to set up the series in the first place. Perhaps he will still make a packet from the floatation, or at least recover what he has put in.

3. According to the press release, financing has been put in place by the lead investor to provide stability, hopefully this will lead to more sponsor commitment, and enable to series to grow stronger (particularly if the second season is more lean and mean and visits circuits with an obvious fan base). Hopefully long term plans will now also be able to be put in place in terms of television deals, merchandising etc etc.

I think it is very good news, and I for one will be listening out for the IPO details so that I can put my money where my mouth is.

Roll on October 1st and a bright future for A1GP!

Kiwi3
(lead A1 cheerleader)
Old 2 Jun 2006, 09:22 (Ref:1625274)   #2
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Just for reference, this is the press release we're talking about

It really is promising news, ensuring that A1GP is going to be here for a while yet, and will continue to develop. It's interesting that there is now this admission that there were finacial problems in the first year. They shouldn't have been ashamed of it - new series, new risks, needs to grow. But, it also shows that they should be resolved and won't be an issue in the future, and we will be able to concentrate on the racing and the development of the series as an entertainment package, as opposed worrying about if the series may or may not continue.
Old 6 Jun 2006, 10:03 (Ref:1628331)   #3
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Autosport reports that A1 lost over $200m in its first season so I guess the new investment and move to an IPO would be good news for the series.
(It does seem a *lot* of money... but I wonder how much $$ ChampCar and the IRL are haemorrhaging each season?)
Old 6 Jun 2006, 11:53 (Ref:1628431)   #4
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
$212m in its first season of operation is silly. I as suprised that the series survived it's first year.
Old 6 Jun 2006, 14:40 (Ref:1628555)   #5
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Effectively the IPO is to repay all that seed money so that from now on it has to stand on its own feet without a 'sugar daddy' element
Old 6 Jun 2006, 16:30 (Ref:1628618)   #6
Roninho
Racer

Roninho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cos
Autosport reports that A1 lost over $200m in its first season so I guess the new investment and move to an IPO would be good news for the series.
(It does seem a *lot* of money... but I wonder how much $$ ChampCar and the IRL are haemorrhaging each season?)
CART lost $90 million in it's last year of business. Out of the top of my head that included $45 million on teamsupport and purses, $10 million on self-promoted races and $15 million on tv expenses.

Imo $200 million is an astonishing loss. I have absolutely no idea where they spend this kind of money on.

Jos >>> I don't know how much of the $200 million were one-time costs (the cars, for example) but is it reasonable to expect a serie to be self-sustaining after the ipo when it loses this kind of money?

Last edited by Roninho; 6 Jun 2006 at 16:33.
Old 7 Jun 2006, 04:46 (Ref:1628961)   #7
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A1GP constantly travelled around the world while CART only takes a couple of long trips a year.

Also would like to know if this includes set up costs such as purchasing the cars, if so, that does not need to be repeated for a couple of years.

Also a better schedule involved tracks with support like Zaandvoort instead of disasters like Estoril and Lautsitz should help balance the books a lot better.

I don't see why it couldn't be profitable long term considering how much money F1 and other sporting events generate. It was always a three year plan to be profitable, but I presume this loss was much larger than anticipated hence the IPO plans.
Old 7 Jun 2006, 12:59 (Ref:1629220)   #8
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roninho
Imo $200 million is an astonishing loss. I have absolutely no idea where they spend this kind of money on.
Who remembers the helicopter car removal service in Dubai - probably cost more than a couple of quid
Old 12 Jun 2006, 13:48 (Ref:1632485)   #9
georges1
Rookie

georges1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All this is not important guys the most important is that A1 put the plans and calendar and prove they will survive for the 2nd season, A1 i feel is in danger
Old 13 Jun 2006, 10:42 (Ref:1633332)   #10
A1 fan
Rookie

United Kingdom
UK
A1 fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A1 is not in danger anymore IMO. It now has the money to move forward. They just need to sort the PR and marketing side of things.
Old 13 Jun 2006, 11:35 (Ref:1633379)   #11
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
I feel A1 was in danger, that's for sure - but this statement indicating all the finances and saying that they were having problems, with more openess, suggests more that the problems are resolved.
It's a big step for the series, and now, IMHO, guarantees the security for the future more than weakens it.