Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 30 Dec 2002, 19:14 (Ref:460336)   #1
nreed
Rookie

nreed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTCC rounds

Has anyone been to a round of the BTCC and if so is it worth it and which would be the best to go to as a spectator? I'd be coming from the u.s. since we dont really have a great tc series yet and it's my favorite type of racing. Plus what it costs (minus my plane ticket). Thanks for any help.
Old 30 Dec 2002, 19:22 (Ref:460339)   #2
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
You'll probably get something of a biased answer in this forum given we're all touring car fans...

But, yes, I think it is well worth going to a round or two if you can afford to do so. I have encouraged a number of friends - motorsport fans and non motorsport fans - and they all enjoyed their day out.

Prices are not cheap compared to what you're probably used to in the States but are not *that* bad and, when compared to something like a football (soccer?) match, they are a positive bargain. You will be looking to pay between 20-25 Pounds for general admission, a few quid more for a programme and a bit more again if you want a seat.

I'd not recommend a grandstand though because you just end up sitting in one place watching one corner all day. Try wandering round the circuit - especially somewhere such as Oulton Park, Brands Hatch or Donington, and you will have much more fun.

If you do make it over be sure to give us a shout and we'll be pleased to meet up with you and show you what the hell is going on!
Old 30 Dec 2002, 19:23 (Ref:460340)   #3
Claire
Veteran

England
Just outside Cambridge
Claire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like Brands Hatch as the short circuit always has close racing bu the drawback is access to the paddock is very limited. The BTCC is going to Rockingham for the first time in June and that is a purpose built oval, although the cars will use one of the tracks on the in-field, you can see 95% of the track but not sure what the atmosphere will be like as it's such a big venue. The cost of a weekend ticket last season went from £15-£25 depending on circuit and advance booking. There is one round at Brands in June and the other at the end of August. Which ever you go to I hope you have a great time.
Old 30 Dec 2002, 19:36 (Ref:460358)   #4
nreed
Rookie

thanks for the replys so far and if i end up coming ill surely give you a heads up.
Old 30 Dec 2002, 19:37 (Ref:460360)   #5
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Do you have a particular time frame in mind or are you just thinking aloud at present?
Old 30 Dec 2002, 20:10 (Ref:460403)   #6
nreed
Rookie

well...sometime in this coming season, anytime really, ive been saving alot as i am getting into racing myself and would like to see some good tc racing, i love it. we have a decent series here i eventually will be getting into but i was going to take a vacation anyway. just wondering the best weekend to go.
Old 30 Dec 2002, 20:20 (Ref:460412)   #7
Jimeth
Racer

Jimeth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Go to Croft, its the best circuit! Ok ok its my local one, but you can see everything from it, you can go everywhere, the atmosphere it electric, its always packed, and the races you get there are always brilliant!
Old 30 Dec 2002, 20:37 (Ref:460422)   #8
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd say somewhere like Oulton (my personal favourite, okay, I'm biased, it's my local circuit) or Donington. As has already been pointed out, the disadvantage of Brands is the lack of access to the main Paddock (although no problems with getting into the support race paddock). Apart from that, Brands is a fantastic place for spectating.
A lot might also depend on what parts of the country you were aiming on seeing as well.
Croft is the furthest north of all the circuits and seems okay for spectating. I've only been there once for the BTCC and I'll admit I've still not really got my bearings round that circuit.
Oulton, second furthest north and it'll also be the season finale next year, so that might add a bit of something to the atmosphere there. Personally I like it because it can be such a great circuit for photography (just bring your hiking boots if you intend on going anywhere near the usual muddy quagmire at the bottom on the circuit!)
Donington, another great circuit and you get to see a lot of the circuit if you stand somewhere like the Old Hairpin, plus you could combine it with a trip to see the Donington Collection.
Silverstone, in terms of facilities, it's probably got to be rated as one of the best, but it has to be said, it's a pretty boring and bleak place to be a spectator.
Rockingham, well, this is the newbie for the Touring Cars, but I have been there for other race meetings and it just doesn't appeal. Yes, you may be able to see the vast majority of the circuit from the grandstands, but I prefer to see cars that are more than a tiny spec in the distance. Another concrete jungle like Silverstone.
Snetterton, never quite decided on this one, it's okay, but I'm not sure it ever really inspires me.
Thruxton, well, it's fast and can certainly produce some good racing. Just remember you'd need to pay a bit extra for a centre transfer if you wanted to get to see the Paddock.
As for grandstands, it's years since I bothered with one, you can usually find somewhere much better if you wander round the circuits and find a nice corner to watch from.
Old 30 Dec 2002, 20:42 (Ref:460424)   #9
Ann
Rookie

Ann should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You absolutely must get to a meeting if you possibly can. I was a tv fan for years but that cannot compare with the buzz of being there at the circuit - I am well and truly addicted to live action now & intend going to almost every round next year. Go on - you know you want to!!
Old 30 Dec 2002, 20:46 (Ref:460425)   #10
daz90
Racer

England
England
daz90 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i would recommend donnington park its easy to get to(just of the m1)and is a very good day out, with plenty to do as well as a fantastic track, a good walk round the track to find your prefered spot and u are in for a good day of racing. tickets are reasonably priced £15-£25, parking and camping is free and easy. a great atmosphere and a great day out too.
Old 30 Dec 2002, 20:47 (Ref:460427)   #11
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It is definately worth it. I used to be a "casual" touring car watcher on TV, in other words if it was on then i might watch it, however when my dad first took me to Snetterton for the night race (happy memories.....) i was blown away by the experience... and became a massive fan!IT IS DEFINATELY WORTH IT!

My choice for best spectator circuit would definately be Brands Hatch (kent, near London, so you can see the sites too!) great track for spectators.

It should be about £20 per adult to get in, KIDS GO FREE! and an aditional £10 for a grand stand seat, though my option is to spectate at Paddock Hill Bend (turn 1) Touring Car's, Cios (great action!), Porsches, Formula Ford, Formula Renault and a possibility of classic sports car's or ASCAR.
Old 30 Dec 2002, 21:04 (Ref:460439)   #12
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Would you be hoping to attend any other events whilst you're over? A quick look at the dates suggests June would be an excellent time to be over:

Sat 7th - Brands Hatch - BTCC/TOCATour
Sun 8th - Brands Hatch - BTCC/TOCATour
Sat 14th - Le Mans 24hrs
Sun 15th - Le Mans 24hrs
Sat 21st - Croft - BTCC/TOCAtour
Sun 22nd - Croft - BTCC/TOCATour
Sat 28th - Donington Park - ETCC/FIA GT
Sun 29th - Donington Park - ETCC/FIA GT

Now I'm not suggesting for a minute that you'd want to stay for all of that lot but the chance of getting along to Le Mans (even if you're not a sportscar fan) is simply too good to pass up. Given there is a BTCC meeting either side of that weekend too... worth considering!

Le Mans is a race meeting that simply has no equivalent in terms of atmosphere and it simply HAS to be done at some point in ones life. Seeing as you'll be travelling several thousand miles to get here it would seem a shame to let a couple hundred miles and a 26 mile ferry crossing stop you getting there... Oh, and that costs around 40 quid for the whole *week*
Old 30 Dec 2002, 21:07 (Ref:460444)   #13
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Actually sitting here I just had a flashback to Christmas 1999 when I was sat at this very keyboard encouraging a young Aussie to make that same trip over. He finally left us 18 months later...!! So I think it's safe to say you'll enjoy your trip
Old 30 Dec 2002, 21:08 (Ref:460445)   #14
nreed
Rookie

once again thank you all for your replys theyre all very helpful, i can definately see myself there soon!
Old 30 Dec 2002, 21:10 (Ref:460448)   #15
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Antill

Sat 7th - Brands Hatch - TOCATour
Sun 8th - Brands Hatch - TOCATour
Sat 14th - Le Mans 24hrs
Sun 15th - Le Mans 24hrs
Sat 21st - Croft - TOCAtour
Sun 22nd - Croft - TOCATour
Sat 28th - Donington Park - FIA Speedweekend
Sun 29th - Donington Park - FIA Speedweekend
Well the last three of those are in my dairy next year
Old 30 Dec 2002, 21:27 (Ref:460465)   #16
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Craig, are you determined to try to get everyone over to Le Mans
Old 30 Dec 2002, 21:32 (Ref:460467)   #17
Carrie
Veteran

In case you haven't seen it, people are collecting race dates for 2003 in this topic in the trackside forum http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=31495
Old 30 Dec 2002, 21:34 (Ref:460470)   #18
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Carrie
Craig, are you determined to try to get everyone over to Le Mans
If Craig fails I will get people there................
Old 31 Dec 2002, 14:59 (Ref:460990)   #19
DarrellB
Racer

United Kingdom
Wiltshire
DarrellB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If your really keen to get close to the action you should try marshalling. It allows you unlimmited access to the track/paddock/pitlane and depending on what role you choose access to the drivers/teams in the pit or paddock or close up action on the track. You cant get much closer except by driving or working for a team. For example post 11 at Thruxton has no spectator access but is on one of the fastest parts of the track and the post is on the apex for goodwood corner you can virtually look into the drivers eyes as they turn in. Anyone interested should call into the marshals forum and anyone there will be able to offer advice.
Old 3 Jan 2003, 12:20 (Ref:462673)   #20
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Of course, if you were to make your holiday towards the end of June for the rounds at Croft, you could take in the BNritish GP on your way back south, maybe even the Goodwood Festival of Speed as well!

British GP 4th, 5th and 6th July.
Goodwood FOS 11th, 12th and 13th July.
Old 3 Jan 2003, 13:10 (Ref:462719)   #21
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Another (biased!) vote for Oulton Park. It's a great circuit, celebrating its 50th anniversary this year. A big advantage of Oulton is that it's close to some of the most beautiful parts of England & convenient to get to from the US - it's only about half an hour's drive from Manchester Airport. Manchester is a much more pleasant airport than some of the alternatives!
Old 3 Jan 2003, 13:19 (Ref:462725)   #22
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Dave, anything is better than Heathrow
Old 4 Jan 2003, 10:35 (Ref:463422)   #23
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
Dave, anything is better than Heathrow
I don't claim to be an expert in these matters but, of the 30 or so airports I have experience of, Heathrow must rate as my least favourite; JFK runs it a pretty close second.

In the mid-1990s I was doing quite a lot of flying on business. If I couldn't get a direct flight from Manchester I would always go for the Lufthansa/Frankfurt option in preference to BA/Heathrow.

Last edited by Dave Brand; 4 Jan 2003 at 10:37.