Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 20 Feb 2014, 05:39 (Ref:3370270)   #3501
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
This is the kinda site I was talking about:

http://www.trackpedia.com/wiki/Main_Page

jimclark
Old 20 Feb 2014, 09:26 (Ref:3370302)   #3502
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Here is an interesting interview that I came across with Alex Hitzinger back in November 2013: http://overdrive.in/features/intervi...-lmp1-project/
Old 20 Feb 2014, 10:21 (Ref:3370319)   #3503
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Plenty of layouts there, check them out on this track map-

I wouldnt doubt there is a typo and they were doing 1:43's not 1:53's. Or they aren't running fast as possible or its fabricated.
I was going to post the same pic, however 1.53 is suspiciously too slow but 1.43 is unrealisticly too fast for a testing 2014 lmp1. I adopted this line of reasoning: 2013 lmp2 pole was 1.50.9, considering the development this year surely will be 1.50.0 or maybe faster. Ok, now let's consider differences between lmp2 and 2014 lmp1

tyres: same size but michelin lmp1 compound is better than dunlop lmp2

weight: 900kg vs. 870kg (850kg for rebellion and lotus)

aero: coupè lmp1 have a lower drag design and for sure a more efficent aero than lmp2

power: nissan lmp2 engine developes 500hp with torque peak over 550Nm, I expect nothing less than 520hp from the thermal lmp1 engines, hybrid lmp1 will have peak of over 1000Nm (for gasoline cars, much more for audi) when the hybrid boost is released after a slow corner.

drivers: work drivers > lmp2 drivers

Considering all these factors, is insane to believe that porsche 919 best performance is 1.53. If a 2014 lmp2 could be able to run in 1.50; porsche, toyota and audi should mark at least 1.45 to keep the status quo.
Old 20 Feb 2014, 12:25 (Ref:3370353)   #3504
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
Here is an interesting interview that I came across with Alex Hitzinger back in November 2013: http://overdrive.in/features/intervi...-lmp1-project/
Good interview. Interesting hearing how Porsche did everything internally, particularly, because they want to be able to use the technology in "other projects". Wonder if this means their production cars and/or other racing projects?
Old 20 Feb 2014, 14:44 (Ref:3370395)   #3505
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think it is highly unlikely that at this point they are trying to set lap times. If anything they are likely purposefully ensuring they are not showing their hand at the moment.

Based upon the article above (granted from late last year), they are not focusing on endurance right now (i.e. running hard for the entire lap, lap after lap in which we would potentially see representative times). I would expect that other methods of data capture are being used rather than relying upon old school sector or full lap times. And given the data they are capturing during testing, they are likely able to simulate hypothetical full or partial lap performance without making it known to the world.

Some of this in my mind parallels the development of the 918 hybrid supercar. Early test drives by journalists in test mules were underwhelming, while the finished car is apparently sublime. I think Porsche worked a plan to build up seamless integration of the petrol and hybrid engines, energy harvesting system, etc. over time by making incremental improvements to each system as well as the integration of the whole as they went. That also likely resulted in a steady march toward faster lap times and a more engaging driving experience. I expect the same will be true with the 919 LMP1.

However, how they match up to the competition will not be known until the flag drops!

Richard
Old 22 Feb 2014, 18:29 (Ref:3371074)   #3506
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
http://sportscar365.com/wec/hartley-...-with-porsche/
Old 22 Feb 2014, 18:33 (Ref:3371076)   #3507
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Hartley is a cool guy and an incredibly gifted driver. He will do very well... who needs F1 anyway?
Old 22 Feb 2014, 19:03 (Ref:3371079)   #3508
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The 919 will be presented at Geneva between 6th and 16th of Mars. Is there any precise day for its official presentation ? I'm bored seeing it naked.
Old 22 Feb 2014, 20:23 (Ref:3371101)   #3509
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM View Post
The 919 will be presented at Geneva between 6th and 16th of Mars. Is there any precise day for its official presentation ? I'm bored seeing it naked.
My bet is in the 14th of mars… reference on "Mission 2014. Our return"

Old 22 Feb 2014, 20:35 (Ref:3371107)   #3510
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM View Post
I would rather bet for a presentation on March 4th or 5th during the two days reserved to the media.
Old 23 Feb 2014, 15:19 (Ref:3371263)   #3511
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNigel View Post
I would rather bet for a presentation on March 4th or 5th during the two days reserved to the media.
x2

jimclark
Old 23 Feb 2014, 17:50 (Ref:3371316)   #3512
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
http://www.endurance-info.com/fr/and...ont-realistes/
Old 24 Feb 2014, 07:02 (Ref:3371480)   #3513
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
http://sportscar365.com/wec/video-an...totype-return/
Old 26 Feb 2014, 10:05 (Ref:3372316)   #3514
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
..Possibly Red Bull.
http://www.endurance-info.com/fr/la-...ns-142-heures/
Old 26 Feb 2014, 10:38 (Ref:3372321)   #3515
TheNo1F1Fan
Veteran

Denmark
TheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
As for what?
Old 26 Feb 2014, 11:03 (Ref:3372327)   #3516
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNo1F1Fan View Post
As for what?
I think he meat the colour theme.

But what comes to their engine configuration, it's hard to find any relevance between Porsche and V4. Because V4 reminds me about old Saab 96's they used in European rally scene in the 60's.
Old 26 Feb 2014, 11:24 (Ref:3372334)   #3517
TheNo1F1Fan
Veteran

Denmark
TheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudLightJaguar View Post

But what comes to their engine configuration, it's hard to find any relevance between Porsche and V4. Because V4 reminds me about old Saab 96's they used in European rally scene in the 60's.
That colour theme would be very cool.
Old 26 Feb 2014, 11:34 (Ref:3372336)   #3518
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
http://www.porsche.com/microsite/mis...rnational.aspx Countdown to the reveal of the Porsche 919 at the Geneva Auto Show. March 4th, Tuesday, morning.
Old 26 Feb 2014, 11:49 (Ref:3372339)   #3519
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNo1F1Fan View Post
As for what?
From the article:" Rumor reported a possible partnership with a well-known energy drink."
Old 26 Feb 2014, 11:54 (Ref:3372340)   #3520
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudLightJaguar View Post

Lets hope the 919 is a little quicker.
Old 26 Feb 2014, 12:40 (Ref:3372351)   #3521
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Monster also make an energy drink and have an established association with motorsport.
Old 26 Feb 2014, 13:04 (Ref:3372354)   #3522
TheNo1F1Fan
Veteran

Denmark
Quote:
From the article:" Rumor reported a possible partnership with a well-known energy drink."
Really good!
Old 26 Feb 2014, 13:37 (Ref:3372362)   #3523
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Monster also make an energy drink and have an established association with motorsport.
True, but the Red Bull rumors have been quite persistent over time. That coupled with Dietrich Mateschitz's comment upon learning of Webber's departure to Porsche (that at least he would remain in the family) and that it is an Austrian company with Dr. Helmut Marco (ex Porsche driver) as an influential figure in the outfit , makes it a more likely choice. Not guaranteed; but more likely.
Old 26 Feb 2014, 14:02 (Ref:3372368)   #3524
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
True, but the Red Bull rumors have been quite persistent over time. That coupled with Dietrich Mateschitz's comment upon learning of Webber's departure to Porsche (that at least he would remain in the family) and that it is an Austrian company with Dr. Helmut Marco (ex Porsche driver) as an influential figure in the outfit , makes it a more likely choice. Not guaranteed; but more likely.
The Webber factor would make sense, with regards to Red Bull.
Old 26 Feb 2014, 14:08 (Ref:3372370)   #3525
TheNo1F1Fan
Veteran

Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
The Webber factor would make sense, with regards to Red Bull.
Sounds good.