Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 2 Jan 2008, 00:15 (Ref:2097795)   #51
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great shot of the MGB & Galaxie dicing John!
Old 5 Jan 2008, 08:21 (Ref:2099769)   #52
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Race 8 - WHT Heat 6

Last race on the Saturday, it was won by Neville Smith (Ray GRS07) from Michael Vergers (Van Dieman RF99) and Dave Connor (RF03). I only seem to have one worthwhile shot of this race, so here it is! Neil Patten finished 7th in his RF99K, but I don't know who it is gyrating in the background!
Old 6 Jan 2008, 11:02 (Ref:2100525)   #53
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Race 9 - WHT - Sunday Storm

As I understand it, the last chance for those who failed on Saturday, to make it into the next round of eliminations. It was won by Oliver Roberts (110) in his Swift SC92s from Noel Carey (Ray 06) and Nigel Thompson (RF88).
Shots taken into the sun on the inside at Becketts (this race only!):-

Paul Walton (Crossle 25F) finished 9th:-

I posted a pic. of this up last year (even started a thread on it, IIRC) but it was the only one again this year and is very distinctive in appearance .... oh, and I like it so here it is again! The Lola T644 of Mark Wilson who finished 12th:

An early sighting of Santa, who parked his reindeer to assist in the recovery of the Van Diemen 93FF of Sam Yates who went straight on on what I'm guessing was the last lap, since he was credited with 7 laps (but unclassified) of this 8 lapper:-
Old 7 Jan 2008, 11:49 (Ref:2101119)   #54
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 11 - WHT - Progression race

Race 10 was for Ginettas and since there is/was no historic content in them (yet!), I'll move onto the Progression Race!

A bigger field than the earlier Sunday Storm race, it nevertheless contained some who had been in that earlier race. I won't try to explain this ...... because I can't without making my head hurt! Where are you Ian?

These were taken on the outside of Becketts at the beginning of the Club Straight and this was, I have to be honest, not a 'spectator view' since I had signed on at race control as 10-Tenths rep. and got myself an armband. The race was a walkover for Oliver Roberts in his Swift SC92S (110). He won by 9.2 seconds from the Van Diemen RF88 of Nigel Thompson, with John Murphy a further 5.5 seconds down, 3rd in his RF99:-

Roy Macgregor was 17th with his RF82. Difficult to believe how old some of these cars are, but at 25 years old, definitely a historic:-

Nigel Thompson's second place RF88:-

Steve Mellish in his RF89 was 7th:-
Old 8 Jan 2008, 11:57 (Ref:2101774)   #55
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 12 - Historic FF2000

I've added Historic to the heading because they truly are and it's a sobering thought that the youngest car on the grid was 25 years old. This has the potential to be a great series. The racing is close and it was here. There were some great dices throughout, and none more so than at the front. However, there was too much contact, and I have to say that from where I was standing it was as much to do with overly defensive driving as any over ambitious overtaking moves. This needs to be dealt with firmly early on, so that we get the sort of clean racing we see in most of the other historic single seater racing.

A monumental dice for the lead between Mike Gardner (Reynard SF79) and Erik Pagano (Van Diemen RF82) ended on lap 10 with contact, both limping back to the pits to retire. This is Pagano showing the results:-

The battle for last place was pretty intense, too. Here Lou Watts (27 - Reynard SF78 - 20th) holds off Terry Swinson (23 - SF79 - 21st) with Luke Dimsdale (Van Diemen RF78) tucked in behind. In fact Dimsdale had been ahead of these two but spun at this point a lap or so earlier. He later retired on lap 11:-

Another big dice was between Lawrence Denne (97 - RF82) and Clive Wood (50 - RF82) which turned into a battle for the lead with the demise of Pagano and Gardner. The race was resolved in favour of Wood, who put in fastest race lap, when Denne suffered a last lap drama and was unclassified at the end:-

And yet another battle, and this time both finished. Andy Huxtable (5 - RF83)
stayed just this much ahead of David Flory (7 - RF81) to finish 2nd just 2.1 seconds behind Wood, so we had a Van Diemen 1,2,3:-

Last edited by John Turner; 8 Jan 2008 at 12:00.
Old 10 Jan 2008, 09:44 (Ref:2103263)   #56
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 13 - WHT - Last Chance

Right, well, THIS really was the Last Chance race for those I may have confused with my earlier comments. I've certainly confused myself, but basically, this was the last chance for those who had not already qualified for the semi-finals, to do so. A big grid this one and the race was redflagged and restarted and the chequered flag held out after just 4 laps, so you can imagine it was a pretty hectic sprint and of 36 starters, 8 cars didn't even make the finish.

The race was won by David Grady (RF02) followed by Gaius Ghinn (RF00) with Oliver Roberts 3rd in his Swift SC92S. Roberts merits further comment since he was a real star on Sunday morning. He had won the Storm Race from the 2nd row, but for the Progression race he started from Row 10 to win over the 8 laps, and here he was starting from Row 16 to get the final podium place in just 4 laps. The stoppage may have played into his hands and closed the field up, but still a really good hard charging effort, and with fastest lap too, amongst all that traffic. His reward for all that effort was to get onto the final row (Row 18) of th first semi-final.

I've deliberately focused (or blurred in a couple of cases, sorry!) on the older cars in this race, so here we have the old Van Diemen RF81 of Paul McMorran on the first, and only, lap that he completed in this race:-

Roy Farrell junior was 10th in the Crossle 30F:-

Andrew Chesher was 6th in his RF92 (23) and Adrian Hamilton 8th in RF90 (43):-

Neil Davies was last of the classified finishers in the Lotus 61MX:-

Last edited by John Turner; 10 Jan 2008 at 09:52.
Old 12 Jan 2008, 10:25 (Ref:2104641)   #57
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 14 - Haggis Trophy

A 12 lap race for Clubmans cars, and inevitably a large number of Mallocks in this field; 12 out of the 20 starters in fact but since they were of different ages and shapes the grid looked varied particularly as there were also some decidely interesting shapes amongst the remainder.

Opening laps were pretty close,if I recall correctly, with a number of challengers for the top position. But after a bit of jockeying for position and moments from one or two of them, it was Mark Charteris who emerged victorious in his Mallock Mk20B by 6 seconds from the Phantom P79 of Steve Chaplin. However, I believe it was Peter Harper, who eventually finished 3rd, who posed the strongest challenge to Charteris in the Connaught U2 Mk20B. Here he is chasing Charteris. However, he spun it at this point a lap or two later and just failed to catch Chaplin on the line for 2nd. The frontrunners were really trying since none were totally error free and Harper posted best lap of the race at 58.350 seconds, an average of 101.12 Mph; these cars are quick!:-

Unfortunately, Jared Wood failed to complete the final lap in his Batten Mk1:-

Arthur Dickens (58 - Mallock Mk 29 - 14th) failed to hold 'Sideshow' Bob (19) in his Davis T8 at bay, since the latter finished 13th, clear by 6 seconds:-

A legend in his own lifetime driving the old Mallock U2 Mk11B, a car that I have seen many times over the years, in either his or Michael's hands. Ray Mallock was one of the frontrunners briefly, but an early spin (I think) left him down the pack and he spent the rest of the race having to work his way forward. He finished 5th, but even without his 'moment', his best lap time suggests that 4th, barring mistakes by the others, was the best he could have hoped for:-

Last edited by John Turner; 12 Jan 2008 at 10:29.
Old 13 Jan 2008, 10:52 (Ref:2105148)   #58
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 15 - WHT Semi Final 1

So, with all the qualifiers/eliminators out of the way, we were down to the semis with 'only' 72 cars left in for two grids of 36 cars each. This first one was won by Peter Dempsey (Ray GR05) from Neville Smyth (Ray GRS07) and Wayne Boyd (Van Diemen RF92), less than a second covering these three at the flag. There were great battles all the way down this field as you would expect at this stage of the competition.

Stuart Kestenbaum (13 - Van Diemen RF79) held off Matthew Dean (48 - Reynard RF88) to the flag to take 29th place:-

Jamie Jardine (92 - Swift SC92) did likewise to William Zollo (99 -Reynard 92FF) to hold onto 10th at the flag. In the background, heading into Brooklands is Mark Williams (67 - Reynard 92FF - 17th) who was later caught (see below). I take it that 1992 was aparticularly good year for Formula Ford!:-

That man Oliver Roberts (110 - Swift SC92S) again. Up from 35th on the grid, Mark Williams (67 - Reynard 92FF) was his final victim of this race to finish 16th, more than enough to get into the final, albeit on the 16th row. Well earned, I'd say. I wonder how many cars he had passed over the weekend to get into the final:-

Last appearance for the weekend of Adam Higgin (64 - Van Diemen RF88 -31st), Dave Lowe (69 - Lotus 61 - 32nd) and Angus Geddes (10 - Van Diemen RF88 - 33rd):-

Last edited by John Turner; 13 Jan 2008 at 10:54.
Old 14 Jan 2008, 08:27 (Ref:2105731)   #59
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excellent coverage John,just the kind of reports we have grown used to,you really should come over to Spa
Old 14 Jan 2008, 11:19 (Ref:2105831)   #60
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 16 - WHT Semi Final 2

Thank you, Terence; it was getting kind of lonely in here! I'd love to get to Spa although I might have to go more than once since, sacrilegious, I know, but I quite fancy going to the 24 hours as well, the one area of modern racing I still have a particularly strong interest in!

Gavin Wills (Van Diemen RF00) won this semi by just over 4.5 secs from James Nash (RF92) and Peter Barrable (Ray GRO5).

Well the members stand was reasonably well attended, anyway! Here Matt Taylerson (RF92) leads Chris Hodgen (RF90) but the latter got by eventually to take 25th by 4 tenths:-

Behind the two above was an even bigger battle between 5 cars of considerable age difference, although they were a little more spread out at the end. Derek Rodgers (53 - RF91 - 27th), leads Westie Mitchell (21 - Merlyn Mk20 - 30th), Nigel Dolan (115 - RF86 - 29th), Stuart Thorburn (5 - RF91 - 28th) and Colin Wright (52 - Merlyn Mk 17 - 31st). This picture tells the story of the development of FF1600 over the years and whilst the newer cars, as you would expect, are, by and large, quicker and more effective, they seem to have gradually lost the aesthetic quality of the earlier cars. Or, is that just me, showing my age!:-

Higher up the field, and destined to scrape into the final, Bob Higgins (61 - RF90) and Louis Di Resta (RF90) finished 16th and 17th:-
Old 14 Jan 2008, 18:36 (Ref:2106077)   #61
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spa would spoil you for any other circuit John,we'll have to see what can be done.
Old 14 Jan 2008, 23:19 (Ref:2106252)   #62
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Oh yes sirree Bob! I've only been once. Last years Spa 24 Hours.

John, just do it!
Old 14 Jan 2008, 23:20 (Ref:2106254)   #63
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
P.S. Welldone for keeping these threads alive, as you do.
There may not be massive feedback, but I bet you have a LOT of readers...
Old 15 Jan 2008, 10:00 (Ref:2106466)   #64
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 18 - Secretary's Challenge

Guys, I KNOW Spa is a great circuit (I fancy seeing Nurburgring as well), but I don't want it to spoil me for other circuits. Remember that I spend the majority of my weekends during the 7 warmer (haha) months of the year at British circuits all of which I enjoy (with the exception of Rockingham - a soul less place, I'm afraid) for their variety.

Race 17 was another race for Ginettas, so onto race 18, a 15 lapper for a small but eclectic grid of cars, ancient and modern. This was the quickest race of the day. Ollie Bryant won it in the Jade 2 and his best lap was 53.675. However, the quickest car was, not surprisingly, the Pescarolo LMP1 of Hall and Short, but they did a driver change, both for practice and sporting reasons, I suggest. They came second with I am assuming Martin putting in the best lap of 51.145 (115.36 mph). The race also saw what I believe was the race debut of the new Ginetta G5O, a very handsome new GT model destined for the GT4 category of British GT next year. It came 8th in the hands of Laurence Tomlins.

Quickest of the oldies was Ross Hyett in the big March 717 who took a comfortable 3rd from Ray Mallock (out again in his trusty Mk11B), albeit a lap down on the front two:-

Suitable, I believe, for the Revival 90s series, is the Prosport LM3000, a car much discussed both in the Historic and the GT & Sportscars forums a while back over its eligibility or otherwise for the British GT series. This one was driven by Miles Hulford to 7th place behind Nick Whale (Porsche 997 - 5th) and Harry Handkammer (BMW M3 - 6th):-

Driven by Vince Woodman, no less, the Ford Cologne Capri, finishing 10th behind the Caterham C400 of Piers Johnson:-

Apart from the March, American V8 power, rather unusually, fared badly. All three of the others were unclassified at the end. Frank Bradley (McLaren M1C), David Carrington Yates (Mustang) and here, Richard Lloyd (Camaro Z28) were the unfortunates concerned:-

At my first WHT meeting in 2005, Rob Huff had entertained us royally in the wet in the MGB. In proper 4 wheel drifts, carrying real pace through Woodcote it had been a sight to behold. Here, however, in the dry, and in this company, he was last of the classified runners, taking 12th behind the Ginetta G20 of Matt Nicoll-Jones:-

Last edited by John Turner; 15 Jan 2008 at 10:02.
Old 15 Jan 2008, 10:08 (Ref:2106472)   #65
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
A correction; I have just found an amendment sheet, which classifies Richard Lloyd, 13th, although he only completed 10 laps.
Old 16 Jan 2008, 11:06 (Ref:2107193)   #66
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 19 - WHT Final

Finally the Final! 36 cars with Peter Dempsey (1 - Ray GR05) on pole with Gavin Wills (88 - Van Diemen RF00) alongisde; second row, Neville Smyth (26 - Ray GRS07) and James Nash (Van Diemen RF92). The winner seemed likely to come from these four although the rising star. Wayne Boyd (46 - RF92) was on row three with Peter Barrable (GR05), and whole string of good drivers behind. Former multiple winner, Joey Foster was way back on row 14 but I think he was there for fun and nostalgia in an old Van Diemen RF78 and Michael Vergers was on the back row in the Van Diemen RF99.

By the time the race started the sun was really low in the sky and frankly the amateur qualities of both photographer and his cameras were not up to it. So apologies for the poor nature of the pics which I can best describe as for illustration purposes only!

It was a 4 car battle from the start with Dempsey jumped by several cars early on, with the running made by fellow front row man, Gavin Wills. Here we see Wills, James Nash, Dempsey kicking up dust on the inside, Neville Smyth and a little further back, Wayne Boyd:-

Keith Dempsey and Swift SC92. They were to finish 8th:-

The race was red flagged on the first lap as one car (I don't know who, but we had lost Felix Fisher, Dave Connor and Louis Di Resta at the restart) beached itself just off the racing line on the exit to Brooklands; it was just too close to the track not to stop the race to have it moved. Following the restart, Patrick McKenna (191 - Ray GRS07) did likewise but not only did he go further off but actually made it back on to the track to finish 31st. Here Bob Higgins (61 - Van Diemen RF90 - 29th) passes the troubled McKenna:-

At the restart, Dempsey again did not make the best of starts, but in a superb move up the inside into Brooklands passing both Wills and Smyth, he took the lead. It was the decisive move of the race, and from then on he edged away to a fine win by just under 5 seconds from Nash and Boyd. Here is that move with Nash following Dempsey through to pass Smyth. Both Wills and Smyth were to have problems (mechanical?, spins? - Ian?) finishing 14th and 32nd respectively:-

Robert Barrable was never far away and finished 4th on the tail of Boyd:-

The winner showing clear air between himself and his pursuers:-

Joey Foster finished 27th although his best lap time suggests a higher finishing position was possible. Michael Vergers pulled through half the field to finish 18th. And since we have been following him, what of Oliver Roberts? Well he finished 21st which given his best lap time was probably, within a couple of places, pretty much as far as he would have got had he had better luck on saturday. That he did this the hard way must have been all the sweeter!

That's it. Thank you and goodbye to 2007!.

Last edited by John Turner; 16 Jan 2008 at 11:09.
Old 16 Jan 2008, 18:01 (Ref:2107445)   #67
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
So now its Spa 2008? Excellent report John,thanks.
Old 16 Jan 2008, 19:03 (Ref:2107475)   #68
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
So now its Spa 2008? Excellent report John,thanks.
its good to keep the Walter Hays going. te remind is of the fact that there will be an nice race in 2008!