Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Next year I will (chose the closest most likely option)
Watch live on BBC or Sky depending which it is on. 36 32.73%
Watch only BBC live or delayed/highlights. 48 43.64%
Watch only BBC live (live or not bother). 16 14.55%
Not watch, it is over for me. 10 9.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 25 May 2012, 19:10 (Ref:3079264)   #2176
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
Who's bumhead?

Selby
Theodore Slotover.
Old 25 May 2012, 20:18 (Ref:3079285)   #2177
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
The commentators don't have the luxury of your 42 inch HD TV in order to pick out the colour of a drivers helmet - Geez, Vettel seems to change his as often as his underwear.

They have probably 4 screens probably no more than 19 inch with the world feed, timing data, the driver tracker and possibly the mossaic of Sky's cockpit feeds.

Their attention will be constantly changing between each of these and yet provide a seamless continual flow of commentary.

You can't seriously fault if looking at a different screen when something happens on the world feed, and they have to make an instantaneous call on which driver it is.
Or alternatively, you can blame them because they've got all of that technology yet still make the wrong call compared with someone who is sitting at home just watching one screen. For instance, a quick look at the driver tracker and live timing would tell them which driver it is after they've identified the car and the possibilities have been narrowed to two.
Old 25 May 2012, 20:23 (Ref:3079289)   #2178
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Even a quick look takes a noticeable moment.

They should be shot.
Old 26 May 2012, 10:57 (Ref:3079447)   #2179
henners88
Veteran

Wales
henners88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not saying the commentators are doing a bad job overall, it just annoys me when I hear "Button into the pits" when it's quite clear the yellow glowing helmet is Hamilton even on first glance. The same mistake is often made with the Mercedes drivers and both. Helmets are quite distinguishable IMO. It might be just a habit I have when I'm watching but I tend to look at the driver before I take much notice of the car. It's only a minor point and if I am in the minority, well I can live with that.
Old 26 May 2012, 13:23 (Ref:3079492)   #2180
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I never heard the term "Felipe getting into Georgies tiny vessel" on the BEEB before
Old 26 May 2012, 13:26 (Ref:3079495)   #2181
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
One advantage of Sky is being able to sit outside in this freakishly good weather and watch it on the iPhone (well, up until the combination of sun and charger caused the thing to overheat and prompt me to switch it off!).

On the downside, Ben Edwards was replaced with F1's answer to Jonathan Pearce, but ho-hum. A good thing overall.
Old 26 May 2012, 13:31 (Ref:3079500)   #2182
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
One advantage of Sky is being able to sit outside in this freakishly good weather and watch it on the iPhone (well, up until the combination of sun and charger caused the thing to overheat and prompt me to switch it off!).

On the downside, Ben Edwards was replaced with F1's answer to Jonathan Pearce, but ho-hum. A good thing overall.
Watch it on your Ipad whilst havin your DAB device tuned into radio 5 live. Who commentates on there this season anyway?
Old 26 May 2012, 13:36 (Ref:3079502)   #2183
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Erm, James Allen.
Old 26 May 2012, 13:49 (Ref:3079507)   #2184
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Joy.
Old 26 May 2012, 13:51 (Ref:3079508)   #2185
Mr V
Veteran

England
Bummer!!!
Old 26 May 2012, 16:56 (Ref:3079576)   #2186
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Not having to listen to James Allen on the radio is worth every penny of my Sky subscription.
Old 26 May 2012, 19:39 (Ref:3079619)   #2187
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I think I would have to agree with that Marbot, well, apart from the Sky subscription bit, which I don't have.....
Old 26 May 2012, 19:47 (Ref:3079624)   #2188
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I'm impressed that Ant has got from Monaco to Baku in time to perform Lithuania's song. I'm watching it on the beeb.
Old 27 May 2012, 18:19 (Ref:3080015)   #2189
rocketcar
Rookie

United Kingdom
Colchester
rocketcar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sky's coverage certainly got worse this weekend. Pre race stuff is ok, but post race the bbc was far better. Firstly they were on air longer, second they covered more of the racing issues, albeit not to the extent by Ant Davison and third they did not miss red bull celebrations by going to a break.
Old 27 May 2012, 18:51 (Ref:3080036)   #2190
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Paying for your own dedicated channel and covering less.

So technical.
Old 27 May 2012, 19:39 (Ref:3080064)   #2191
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I don't think that is true. Sky coverage went past 4pm. I think beeb was done before. Not that this matters really, but if we're going to discuss it we may as well do it with facts.
Certainly the sky coverage was scheduled to go way past the beeb. Can anyone confirm?

I didn't watch the beeb, but I thought the analysis of the racing and tech stuff was good on sky. Ant and Skypad had been good all weekend and Bumhat was like a dog with a bone about the Red Bull slot.

To truly compare who watched both? That was hours of post race race analysis! Sado.
Old 27 May 2012, 19:49 (Ref:3080076)   #2192
henners88
Veteran

Wales
henners88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The BBC coverage was very good today IMO. The build up was great and for the first time in a long while I found myself laughing at one of the segments with Lewis and Jenson acting as director and interviewer. I got everything I really wanted out of the coverage and the length of time doesn't bother me in the slightest as long as I hear from the top guys post race. I didn't bother watching the extended coverage with the forum as I was done at that point to be honest. There might be fans who sit for the full 5 hours or whatever it is on Sky but for me its just not needed. The team on the BBC seem alot more natural and easy infront of the camera and I still think DC and BE are the best pairing for commentary during the race. Each to their own though.
Old 27 May 2012, 19:59 (Ref:3080091)   #2193
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Ah, I forgot about that. It'll be the red button that went on longer than sky. I get it,sorry being dim.

Even more post race to compare!
Old 27 May 2012, 20:14 (Ref:3080105)   #2194
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I haven't seen either, I just wanted to get my weekly, facetiously pro-Beeb slot out of the way.

On way home to watch Beeb coverage now though after Indy.
Old 28 May 2012, 10:55 (Ref:3080467)   #2195
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
The BBC coverage was very good today IMO. The build up was great and for the first time in a long while I found myself laughing at one of the segments with Lewis and Jenson acting as director and interviewer. I got everything I really wanted out of the coverage and the length of time doesn't bother me in the slightest as long as I hear from the top guys post race. I didn't bother watching the extended coverage with the forum as I was done at that point to be honest. There might be fans who sit for the full 5 hours or whatever it is on Sky but for me its just not needed. The team on the BBC seem alot more natural and easy infront of the camera and I still think DC and BE are the best pairing for commentary during the race. Each to their own though.
I absolutely loved the creativity on the preview video - the kid growing up as a fan, then making his way up the ranks... ALL from a first-person perspective.

Very creative!

Selby
Old 28 May 2012, 11:37 (Ref:3080496)   #2196
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Mr Lazenby managing to insult the late Princess Grace of Monaco, was the only real highlight of Sky's Monaco GP presentation.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...cos-death.html

I wouldn't be at all surprised if he was a 'no-show' at the Canadian GP.
Old 28 May 2012, 12:28 (Ref:3080538)   #2197
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I'm very fond of the late Grace. Great Irishwoman.

And I think the quip was too edgy for the broadcast but I happen to think the world would be a better place if people took things more on the chin and less to heart.

Last edited by Paradise City; 28 May 2012 at 12:56.
Old 4 Jun 2012, 09:17 (Ref:3084981)   #2198
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Mr Lazenby managing to insult the late Princess Grace of Monaco, was the only real highlight of Sky's Monaco GP presentation.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...cos-death.html

I wouldn't be at all surprised if he was a 'no-show' at the Canadian GP.
Have to say i cringed when he said it but hardly worth "resting" him for that!
Old 6 Jun 2012, 10:05 (Ref:3086145)   #2199
mrfizz
Rookie

England
West Bromwich
mrfizz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did anybody else who watched the BBC forum after Monaco see the look on Simon Lazenby's and Damon Hill's faces when the BBC team got ushered to the prime spot on top of Red Bulls 'floater-home', while they were stuck behind the barrier with all the others?

Priceless!
Old 6 Jun 2012, 12:43 (Ref:3086220)   #2200
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Mr Lazenby doesn't look too comfortable at the moment and 'Crofty' has some difficulty in identifying which teams car is which, on some occasions.

Johnny Herbert and Damon Hill seem to be doing OK, but perhaps they could do with a 'Gary Anderson' to make things a little bit more......technical.
Closed Thread

Tags
outrage, sky