Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 3 Oct 2010, 11:47 (Ref:2768598)   #501
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Amusing footnote...From Davidsons Twitter page...

Immigration in Atlanta Airport guy asks what I'm racing?...I said a Peugoet...with a dead pan look he said...'never heard of that'...

I just nervously laughed - Paused and said 'they're French'...He then looked as if he might kill me!

Hahahahaha...hope that Airport immigration guy reads his local paper today!
Old 3 Oct 2010, 11:54 (Ref:2768600)   #502
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennen View Post
Good on you! What an adventure. Do many Brit' Marshalls do it?
Just 4 of us this year, but they are always happy to take more!
Old 3 Oct 2010, 11:56 (Ref:2768601)   #503
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is a reason Road Atlanta and Petit has made such a great race. It's fast busy and full of great recognizable sections too bad this isn't front page stuff , thrilling stuff instant classic. if road America can run an event like this or Sebring well anyway good race nice job Pugs and also to the Franchitti's a real racing family and good fellows
Old 3 Oct 2010, 12:45 (Ref:2768612)   #504
vyselegend
Racer

France
Paris, France
vyselegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm looking forward to clips from this race on youtube, but nothing for the moment...

I hope we'll get to see some missed action, like the restart that occured while Motors TV were on rallying, there obviously was a move from Montagny on Wurz, then Capello. Also the vette was leading from Brunni, and then suddenly the Ferrari was ahead without any hints of the move on TV... Then there was a (probably impressive) 360° from Fässler in the #9, which got lost by the realisation too...

But I'm pessimistic because, since all that wasn't streamed, we rely on fans with good filming skill around the track.
Old 3 Oct 2010, 15:38 (Ref:2768668)   #505
picchiofan
Racer

Iran
picchiofan User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
Thrilling race.......

Delighted to see Peugeot win the Battle of Balaclava.
Audi became so complacent with the all-dominating R8, that when they have a car that isn't 6 miles ahead of the field they start making huge rookie mistakes. Stupid offs, construction issues, destroying cars in practice, belt issues, helmet issues, balaclava issues. Did they hire intersport or dyson's strategist?

Quote:
GT2 was spellbinding, it didn't really matter (to me) who won. But, very pleased for the fans that the 'local heroes' took the win.
I'm glad Speed's coverage realized how dull the LMP race was and actually focused on the GT2 class for a while. I'm also amazed the ALMS didn't screw it up with their usual yellow flag nonsense and stick 2 cars on their own lap like they usually do.

Quote:
Jaguar........I'll resist saying anything right now.
Why? It's a joke effort run by a terrible team. RSR's effort in Grand Am was atrocious, their Champcar effort was a mess, and their ALMS programming is a debacle. The only time they were successful was in a series that Gentilozzi owned. Hopefully they'll stick the jags next to the old Barbour Lamborghinis in a warehouse somewhere.

Quote:
Great job by Intersport.
Amazing what happens when you run a motor 200 hp down, it doesn't blow up. Seeing as they could run 6 seconds a lap off the pace of the real LMP1 cars and not have any other competition as the rest of the ALMS field poked around crippled by LMP2 regs, it was basically a lapping day for them.

Quote:
Congrats to Highcroft, well deserved, they've been the class of the ALMS P field this year.
When your only competitor kills a motor and runs around on 7 cylinders all race, you're going to have a pretty easy day.

Oh yea, I guess Dyson was also there to provide a compet-(giggle)..sorry, I can't. God that team is a freaking joke.

Quote:
Driver of the day, for me, was Andy Lally. Someone snap him up for a competitive GT2 drive next year!
He's got a pretty good contract with TRG running in Grand Am, Conti Challenge, ALMS, Nascar trucks, Nationwide and Sprint Cup.

Besides, what "competitive" GT2 teams would sign him? Risi's full up, Flying Lizard is too, BMW is factory drivers, Corvette is full. Not much else out there that isn't an also-ran.
Old 3 Oct 2010, 16:33 (Ref:2768683)   #506
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiend540 View Post
I love how the pug fans think the car is gods gift to men, it's fast and always has been but it only managed to win Lemans once, only won petite once and only won sebring once. Oh boy best car ever
I was at the opening press days of the Paris Motor Show, where Peugeot showed two (show) models of the 908.
Elsewhere in the building Audi gave a very professional presentation on their new cars, with lots of "we are the best" sentences included. (no reference was made to the R15) In true German spirit, the presentation was held in German, but fortunately for the French present there it was subtitled, in English.
Therefore I have weak spot for a car that beats the most arrogant company in the automotive world, and does it quite consistently with some exceptions.

I realise this is not about the race, but as I did not have the opportunity to follow it directly, let alone be present there, I have not much more to add in any discussions.
Old 3 Oct 2010, 16:46 (Ref:2768687)   #507
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Audi Racer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
GT2
Hmmm. How interesting. There was no other fitting finish to 2010 GT2 championship season. All the contenders within like 20secs needing splash and dashes trying to fake each other out saying they could go the distance or others saying they would do tires also. It really sums up how competitive the season was. And perhaps the only way it could end was with the ferrari running out of fuel at the last corner summing up their entire season of mistakes made on and off the track.
Risi Competizione Season Problems
1. Jaime Melo- is no doubt the fastest driver on the GT2 grid but he can't keep his ego in check. If your still wondering- He and gimmi bruni did not get along(strange that we find that out now) He and vilander obviosly don't get along withe their on track altercation on lap 1 of a 10 hour race. He seems to be the fernando alonso of GT racing-wants to be the clear number one driver. Latin mentality. I seem to remember on multiple interviews with Melo throughout the season him saying "my stint was good, hopefully gimmi can keep up the pace"I found it strange.
2. Toni Vilander- Too racy, doesnt like melo
3. Gimmi Bruni- doesn;t like melo
4.Strategist-perhaps trying to be too good despite with an 11 sec lead decides to go dash no splash and runs out of fuel

The ferrari F430 swansong was romped on by a thundering GM Chevy Corvette.

So BMW gets the team and Manufacturer( no doubt sigh of relief by mario theissen)

Flying Lizard gets the Drivers championship

Corvette steals their first win of the season

No doubt a fair way for the season to end. Their are way to many top flight teams for one car to sweep everything. Now multiple people get to keep their jobs(Mario theissen still sighing).
Old 3 Oct 2010, 16:51 (Ref:2768690)   #508
carsten66
Veteran

Germany
Heidelberg, Germany
carsten66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
Hindy is giving it all to jinx it for Peugeot... he hates to see them win
Me too... Anyway, good race, lot's of dramas, bad luck for Cytosport and Audi. Thrilling GT2 as always. Also I'd like to mention Marco Werner who did an impressive job in the Tucker car, was it just me but it seems he was driving the car mostly for its own... Werner and Graf together in a car would be great...

Old 3 Oct 2010, 18:31 (Ref:2768725)   #509
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsten66 View Post
Me too... Anyway, good race, lot's of dramas, bad luck for Cytosport and Audi. Thrilling GT2 as always. Also I'd like to mention Marco Werner who did an impressive job in the Tucker car, was it just me but it seems he was driving the car mostly for its own... Werner and Graf together in a car would be great...

Werner and Pirro in a second Drayson Lola would be interesting also!

L.P.
Old 3 Oct 2010, 18:39 (Ref:2768728)   #510
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by picchiofan View Post
Audi became so complacent with the all-dominating R8, that when they have a car that isn't 6 miles ahead of the field they start making huge rookie mistakes.
Okay, so how did they win Le Mans and LMS with the Audi R10 which was clearly slower than the Peugeot 908?
Quote:
Originally Posted by picchiofan View Post
Stupid offs, construction issues, destroying cars in practice, belt issues, helmet issues, balaclava issues.
You also forget that Peugeot also destroyed a tub during the practice sessions this week or built a engine with con rods that could not last 24 hours.
Old 3 Oct 2010, 18:40 (Ref:2768730)   #511
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi Racer View Post
A bunch of stuff about Ferrari drivers.
Is any of this even barely substantiated or are you just making stuff up for fun? Your chief line of evidence seems to be the 'Hopefully my teammate who's in the car now will keep the pace and we'll get the win/podium' quote, probably the most standard cliched driver interview quote ever.

This reminds me of all the forum chatter from a few years ago about how McNish and TK didn't like one another so they never drove together. Now they're part of the 'Dream Team' and Allan is on record as saying the only driver he had a personal problem with was Emmanuele Pirro back in 2000!

The bottom line is that Risi lost the race and in the bigger picture the championship because of pitlane performance more than anything. The short splash and dash is a glaring example, but too many times this year they failed to get the car out in front and forced their drivers to make on-track passes leading to a bit of biffing and sometimes a spot of damage. That is where they need to look to Flying Lizard and Corvette for some inspiration. Maybe their driver lineups might need tweaking too (Fisi is starting to look like the real deal himself), but I think Rick Mayer and Beaky Sims need to focus on the out-of-cockpit stuff first.

Carsten, Werner did a great job despite barely driving the car before the race. He sounded like he was really unhappy with the setup even before the motor started to **** oil like a racehorse (my god did it take RLM a long time to notice that!) but he kept everything beautifully clean and smooth. Class act.
Old 3 Oct 2010, 19:24 (Ref:2768753)   #512
ubrben
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
ubrben has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk View Post
Is any of this even barely substantiated or are you just making stuff up for fun? Your chief line of evidence seems to be the 'Hopefully my teammate who's in the car now will keep the pace and we'll get the win/podium' quote, probably the most standard cliched driver interview quote ever.

This reminds me of all the forum chatter from a few years ago about how McNish and TK didn't like one another so they never drove together. Now they're part of the 'Dream Team' and Allan is on record as saying the only driver he had a personal problem with was Emmanuele Pirro back in 2000!

The bottom line is that Risi lost the race and in the bigger picture the championship because of pitlane performance more than anything. The short splash and dash is a glaring example, but too many times this year they failed to get the car out in front and forced their drivers to make on-track passes leading to a bit of biffing and sometimes a spot of damage. That is where they need to look to Flying Lizard and Corvette for some inspiration. Maybe their driver lineups might need tweaking too (Fisi is starting to look like the real deal himself), but I think Rick Mayer and Beaky Sims need to focus on the out-of-cockpit stuff first.

Carsten, Werner did a great job despite barely driving the car before the race. He sounded like he was really unhappy with the setup even before the motor started to **** oil like a racehorse (my god did it take RLM a long time to notice that!) but he kept everything beautifully clean and smooth. Class act.
Believe what you want - but Melo and Bruni really did fall out big time at Mosport.

Ben
Old 3 Oct 2010, 19:28 (Ref:2768757)   #513
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think Risi should hire Vilander permanently and partner him with Bruni next year, as they've been teammates for ages in AF Corse. Melo to the second car.

Last edited by Deleted; 3 Oct 2010 at 19:34.
Old 3 Oct 2010, 20:21 (Ref:2768778)   #514
J.C.
Racer

United States
Sleepy Hollow, New York
J.C. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

That is where they need to look to Flying Lizard and Corvette for some inspiration. Maybe their driver lineups might need tweaking too (Fisi is starting to look like the real deal himself)
act.
Looking at Corvette Racing for inspiration??....NO

Corvette Racing drives dirty. If it would of came down to the wire, like last years race at Laguna Seca (#3 vs #45). If that would of happen between (#4 vs #62) I would put money on the line that the #4 would try to run him off the road.

Now I am a Ferrari fan, and I will admit, that both Risi cars were not driving like them selves. I never knew that Melo and Bruni were not getting along. Does they Risi line up need a change. I would say yes. Vilander and Bruni in one car, and Melo/TBD in the other car.
Old 3 Oct 2010, 20:31 (Ref:2768783)   #515
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Look to Corvette for how to get it done in the pits - while remembering not to drive into each other. Their pit crews have always been some of the best in the business.

All I was saying about Melo and Bruni is that I didn't think simmering hatred all year was the reason they couldn't put together a championship. I think slowish pitwork and the fact that both of them kept running into people and things this year lost them the championship.

Have to say Vilander could be in the cards on performance, he managed to drive a Ferrari from back to front without clubbing everyone along the way at Mosport, which is a step above the current standard!
Old 3 Oct 2010, 20:34 (Ref:2768790)   #516
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
Werner and Pirro in a second Drayson Lola would be interesting also!

L.P.
Given Drayson's previous employer, I'd imagine he's got insane connections. And now that he's "unemployed" I bet he wouldn't have too hard a time finding the funding for a 2nd all pro car.
Old 3 Oct 2010, 22:06 (Ref:2768831)   #517
J.C.
Racer

United States
Sleepy Hollow, New York
Quote:
Look to Corvette for how to get it done in the pits - while remembering not to drive into each other. Their pit crews have always been some of the best in the business.
Yes I agree, Corvette Racing pit stops are the best in the business. But also, I think, but I may be wrong. As soon a the pit crew release the hydraulic hose from the car, the car automatically starts up. If that is true. That saves a good amount of time. You don't have to worry about stalling the car, or having starter issues.
Old 3 Oct 2010, 22:26 (Ref:2768835)   #518
fiend540
Racer

United States
East Aurora NY
fiend540 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C. View Post

Corvette Racing drives dirty. If it would of came down to the wire, like last years race at Laguna Seca (#3 vs #45). If that would of happen between (#4 vs #62) I would put money on the line that the #4 would try to run him off the road.

Now I am a Ferrari fan, and I will admit, that both Risi cars were not driving like them selves. I never knew that Melo and Bruni were not getting along. Does they Risi line up need a change. I would say yes. Vilander and Bruni in one car, and Melo/TBD in the other car.
you're joking right? Your boys in red have played bumper cars just as much as everyone else over the years so stop spouting of garbage.
Old 3 Oct 2010, 22:55 (Ref:2768845)   #519
J.C.
Racer

United States
Sleepy Hollow, New York
Quote:
you're joking right? Your boys in red have played bumper cars just as much as everyone else over the years so stop spouting of garbage.
ummm...when?? refresh my memory. What the 2007 12 Hours of Sebring finish?? That was racing my friend. I know all the Porsche fans hate that moment. But tell me, what race?
Old 3 Oct 2010, 23:25 (Ref:2768852)   #520
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
ummm...when?? refresh my memory. What the 2007 12 Hours of Sebring finish?? That was racing my friend. I know all the Porsche fans hate that moment. But tell me, what race?

Hmm, seems a case of C-R-S is being had!

L.P.
Old 3 Oct 2010, 23:42 (Ref:2768854)   #521
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Quote:

Quote:

All I was saying about Melo and Bruni is that I didn't think simmering hatred all year was the reason they couldn't put together a championship. I think slowish pitwork and the fact that both of them kept running into people and things this year lost them the championship.

Have to say Vilander could be in the cards on performance, he managed to drive a Ferrari from back to front without clubbing everyone along the way at Mosport, which is a step above the current standard!
Quote:
Yes I agree, Corvette Racing pit stops are the best in the business. But also, I think, but I may be wrong. As soon a the pit crew release the hydraulic hose from the car, the car automatically starts up. If that is true. That saves a good amount of time. You don't have to worry about stalling the car, or having starter issues.
Quote:
Actually you guys are all mistake. Bobby Rahal's guys had the fastest pitstops all season.
Old 3 Oct 2010, 23:43 (Ref:2768855)   #522
fiend540
Racer

United States
East Aurora NY
fiend540 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Audi Racer, I don't know why you quoted me as I mentioned nothing about pit stops. I only answered to the "corvette drivers are dirty" comment by someone who thinks it's only dirty when it's not done by a red car.

Quote:
I guess being a ferrari fan means having a short memory.
Old 3 Oct 2010, 23:58 (Ref:2768857)   #523
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Quote:

Oh i beg to differ Mr.E. Those of us who watch ALMS racing and actually watched The Petit Lemans where.
1. Melo bascially tried to hipcheck vilander off the road at turn 1.
2. Speed Crew tells us of the bad blood between Melo and Bruni at mosport and petit
Please give Mr.E a hand
Old 4 Oct 2010, 00:20 (Ref:2768861)   #524
J.C.
Racer

United States
Sleepy Hollow, New York
Quote:
Audi Racer, I don't know why you quoted me as I mentioned nothing about pit stops. I only answered to the "corvette drivers are dirty" comment by someone who thinks it's only dirty when it's not done by a red car.

I guess being a ferrari fan means having a short memory.
You still haven't gave me an answer...
Old 4 Oct 2010, 02:16 (Ref:2768882)   #525
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
That's all you have?? You suck!

The GT40 was closing the door on everybody yesterday at PLM.

That was not Melo's fault. Look and see what the Prototype does.

As you are new here I suggest you follow the instructions, here!
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61304

L.P.