Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Closed Thread

Old 5 Dec 2013, 18:30 (Ref:3340556)   #1076
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's funny, Chris James ran a two car team, with the same drivers for the entire season, last time he ran. Which is what everyone has been moaning about recently. He may be a loud personality, but that isn't necessarily bad for the sport. And all the "noise" that he and other teams making could equally be seen as promotion for the series.

You may not agree with some of the things he's said in the past, but Yvan Muller assaulted Anthony Reid and no one called for him to not return. So I hope James can pull this off.

As for the sponsor, they're new to btcc and it's not just a small company run by one of the gentlemen drivers (I don't think), so good news for the series. And as for the appropriateness of the sponsor, it's legal in the UK so no problem. The best way to educate kids about this kind of thing is not through ignoring it, it's through educating them. Same with drinking, drugs, smoking etc.
Old 5 Dec 2013, 19:22 (Ref:3340572)   #1077
jimothy84
Racer

England
Swindon, Wiltshire
jimothy84 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The promo blurb doesn't name the BTCC as the intended target, and I sincerely hope it isn't. Calling him a 'loud personality' is like saying Harold Shipman was a bit naughty, James is a bad omen for any series.
Old 5 Dec 2013, 20:05 (Ref:3340586)   #1078
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Loud personality: Rob Austin

Annoying eccentric shouty bloke: Chris James

That's the difference. But as long as ES Rhino Racing can act professionally, use their mirrors and give a talented driver a chance to shine, then what's bad? James may not even drive!
Old 5 Dec 2013, 22:09 (Ref:3340618)   #1079
CarsCarsCars
Racer

United Kingdom
UK
CarsCarsCars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by awrb View Post
It's funny, Chris James ran a two car team, with the same drivers for the entire season, last time he ran. Which is what everyone has been moaning about recently. He may be a loud personality, but that isn't necessarily bad for the sport. And all the "noise" that he and other teams making could equally be seen as promotion for the series.

You may not agree with some of the things he's said in the past, but Yvan Muller assaulted Anthony Reid and no one called for him to not return. So I hope James can pull this off.

As for the sponsor, they're new to btcc and it's not just a small company run by one of the gentlemen drivers (I don't think), so good news for the series. And as for the appropriateness of the sponsor, it's legal in the UK so no problem. The best way to educate kids about this kind of thing is not through ignoring it, it's through educating them. Same with drinking, drugs, smoking etc.
Asking people to meet him in the pitlane to "settle things" is not in any way good for the series.
Old 5 Dec 2013, 22:20 (Ref:3340625)   #1080
PandaKing
Rookie

PandaKing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsCarsCars View Post
Asking people to meet him in the pitlane to "settle things" is not in any way good for the series.
I'm sure he just wanted to exchange insurance details... :P
Old 5 Dec 2013, 23:45 (Ref:3340643)   #1081
Apex Predator
Rookie

Wales
Apex Predator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Team Dynamics believed to be cutting costs with their new motorhome

Old 5 Dec 2013, 23:54 (Ref:3340649)   #1082
CarsCarsCars
Racer

United Kingdom
UK
CarsCarsCars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post

SEND IT ROUND A TRACK !!!
Old 6 Dec 2013, 09:29 (Ref:3340726)   #1083
Jiiiiiiim
Veteran

England
Devon
Jiiiiiiim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should be a bit of news from AmD later & it does not involve Rhino's!

From the press release from ES Donkey Racing I would think they want to do BTCC but are still looking for more £££ & a TBL so it depends if anyone will let them have one & Mr Gows team approve!
Old 6 Dec 2013, 10:03 (Ref:3340732)   #1084
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post

Brilliant
Old 6 Dec 2013, 10:53 (Ref:3340743)   #1085
Apex Predator
Rookie

Wales
AmD have nabbed themselves a Motorbase Focus
Old 6 Dec 2013, 10:54 (Ref:3340744)   #1086
VXDave
Racer

VXDave should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just seen this on Facebook... I wonder if that means only two cars for Motorbase? Either way, I'm no longer bothered because the grid will be to capacity anyway
Old 6 Dec 2013, 11:13 (Ref:3340752)   #1087
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great news, congratulations to Shaun and the guys for pulling this off! I hope they can find a suitable driver for the car!
Old 6 Dec 2013, 11:23 (Ref:3340753)   #1088
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
from the quote
Quote:
front-running BTCC driver
maybe Tom Onslow-Cole again or Sam Tordoff ?
Old 6 Dec 2013, 16:51 (Ref:3340865)   #1089
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or maybe Lea Wood
Old 6 Dec 2013, 17:12 (Ref:3340871)   #1090
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
Or maybe Lea Wood
wouldn't Lea run that Focus in his own team if he was it
Old 6 Dec 2013, 17:16 (Ref:3340873)   #1091
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Not condoning it, but when we see this from two of the biggest stars in BTCC, is it any surprise that others follow their example? If Chris James is not welcome because of his behaviour, then we'll end up with a lot smaller grid!

Old 6 Dec 2013, 17:25 (Ref:3340879)   #1092
psq43
Veteran

psq43 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Not condoning it, but when we see this from two of the biggest stars in BTCC, is it any surprise that others follow their example? If Chris James is not welcome because of his behaviour, then we'll end up with a lot smaller grid!

I agree with you, to a degree, however a flash bang heat of the moment incident, is hardly the same as a daily barrage of semi drunken rants which often include threats of physical violence.
Old 6 Dec 2013, 18:13 (Ref:3340899)   #1093
CM388
Racer

CM388 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
wouldn't Lea run that Focus in his own team if he was it
Not necessarily, remember he was in the running for Speedworks drive before the start of this season.
Old 6 Dec 2013, 18:28 (Ref:3340908)   #1094
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM388 View Post
Not necessarily, remember he was in the running for Speedworks drive before the start of this season.
All of this is down to money... nothing else. Lea, or anyone else for that matter, will only be 'in the running' for any of these seats if they have the walla to underwrite a full season's racing.
Old 6 Dec 2013, 19:07 (Ref:3340926)   #1095
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!

Quote:
SEND IT ROUND A TRACK !!!
http://youtu.be/S7ipFApsFec?t=3m28s
Old 6 Dec 2013, 20:20 (Ref:3340950)   #1096
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
I thought McDowell was go off and do average things in Ginetta's factory Japanese Super GT effort...

...maybe not...
Slightly OT but Ginetta entering Super GT? Got any more details please?

As far as Spearmint Rhino goes, we've had cars sponsored by a brothel in V8 Supercars and no one raised an eyebrow......

Could be worse too as followers of a certain BMW entered in the Nurburgring 24hrs for the last few years would know about
Old 6 Dec 2013, 20:39 (Ref:3340966)   #1097
Thaw Daggerslash
Racer

Thaw Daggerslash should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by psq43 View Post
Whilst my comment is mainly tongue in cheek, i could understand if some parents were slightly concerned, having 3 young impressionable girls in my group at race meetings.
So this sponsor is a concern, but the scantily clad grid girls you see posing outside garages during the pit lane walkabout - open to all ages - isn't?

What's the bigger issue? A logo of a company they probably haven't heard of on the side of one of the cars, or that?

Just playing devil's advocate.
Old 6 Dec 2013, 20:51 (Ref:3340976)   #1098
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by psq43 View Post
Whilst my comment is mainly tongue in cheek, i could understand if some parents were slightly concerned, having 3 young impressionable girls in my group at race meetings.
You are Helen Lovejoy and I claim my five pounds.

I'm a bit young to remember, but was there an outcry at the sponsor on the rear quarter of this BTCC race-winning car?

Old 6 Dec 2013, 20:51 (Ref:3340977)   #1099
Apex Predator
Rookie

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
As far as Spearmint Rhino goes, we've had cars sponsored by a brothel in V8 Supercars and no one raised an eyebrow......
And Markus Pommer did a season of F2 sponsored by a live webcam site, the organisers didn't seem to have a problem with that
Old 6 Dec 2013, 21:54 (Ref:3341025)   #1100
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Probably too busy trying to raise something else
Closed Thread