Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 4 Feb 2007, 05:35 (Ref:1832986)   #1
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Team AUSTRALIA

What is wrong with Team OZ, home track and still we get nowhere. Is it a managermant problem or is it a driver problem or is it a set-up drama.

And will Team OZ score another poduim if so WHEN.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 4 Feb 2007, 05:56 (Ref:1832991)   #2
Boxy
Veteran

Australia
Beautiful one day - bloody hot the next
Boxy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there a contractual reason why Will Power cant drive in the A1 series? He seemed to do a steller job in his few appearances last year.
Personally though, my first choice would be 'Disco' Briscoe. We need a consistant line-up, race in, race out... Seems to work well for Team Germany! (Congrats by the way, Hulkenburg appears to be a real talent).
Karl looked to fighting the thing the whole time. Team Aus needs to align itself with a proven team, which is working for others...
Old 4 Feb 2007, 06:10 (Ref:1832997)   #3
Peno
Racer

Peno should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe that there is a lack of depth to back Briscoe up and that the technical team, Alan Docking Racing is not up to scratch at the level of A1GP.
Old 4 Feb 2007, 06:20 (Ref:1833002)   #4
M-Kart
Veteran

Australia
M-Kart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well having watched todays event, there should have been a top 10 for Australia based on retirements, but the drive-thru put paid to that.

I think it may be an engineering thing that makes the team struggle - look at the top 2 teams - Germany & NZ are both run by the same engineering group. Now their success may be as there is an advantage in running 2 cars - although they are separate teams, there are always adavntages with being able to try different things - double the cars, double the information. Also their engineers certainly seem to know how to run at the top.

The times Australia has looked strong has been when they have driver on hand who have a great deal of experience in racing, running & setting up top level, quick open wheelers (Power, Briscoe, and also Davison). There presence and experience may have helped to get the car competitive for the race weekend. As good as our younger guys are, they also dont seem to be able to bring this setup experience & the advanages that come with it.
Old 4 Feb 2007, 09:37 (Ref:1833094)   #5
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxy
Is there a contractual reason why Will Power cant drive in the A1 series?
In short, yes.

The marketing of Team Australia stipulates that Power can only drive for one Team Australia - the one he is contracted to.
Old 5 Feb 2007, 15:56 (Ref:1834007)   #6
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Alan Docking Racing is not up to scratch at the level of A1GP.
Quote:
The marketing of Team Australia stipulates that Power can only drive for one Team Australia - the one he is contracted to.
Perhaps next season Team Australia could be run by....Team Australia? That might get around the problem!
Old 5 Feb 2007, 23:24 (Ref:1834313)   #7
MickAU
Racer

MickAU has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3
Perhaps next season Team Australia could be run by....Team Australia? That might get around the problem!
Not such a silly suggestion - Team Australia (aka Walker Racing) have a long history of success in open-wheel racing and would bring with them a number of Australian drivers and also corporate partners (i.e. VISA) which A1 would welcome with open arms!
Old 6 Feb 2007, 11:30 (Ref:1834619)   #8
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
even the Team Green guys would do better . I don't think its a driver issue we have had some top driver there Will P , Ryan this the a team issue / development issue and it needs to be address and fast . I think ADR / Jones need to clean house or Jones needs to bring in another party and lose ADR . But while Karl need to go after the poor showing at the creek its time for Jonesto scrap this year and start planning and looking into 08 buy bringing Ian D in and getting miles under his belt and lock him in same to be said for Mr Mawer as a second .
Australia has a very proud sporting nature but A1 AUS is dragging the chain on a international level . I like A1 and I watch A1 but its looking very red faced for us.
Old 6 Feb 2007, 11:58 (Ref:1834631)   #9
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I am not sure why there is this aura surrounding Ian Dyk ? Even on Saturday there was stories in the Sydney press that Dyk should be brought in for the Sunday race.

Now he is a solid driver, by no means has he been outpacing Reindler, nor does he have more runs on the board in terms of Australian development categories.

Barton Mawer should have been the go to guy as soon as they couldnt lock Briscoe down.

In regards to the ADR issue, when Will Power drove he got a podium and a fourth. Brisoce has seen two podiums from 4 events. This has been in the same car that Will Davison and Karl Reindler have been driving. So while the car is not great, it shows what a great driver can do.
Old 6 Feb 2007, 12:24 (Ref:1834649)   #10
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Now I'll be careful (mods not liking me to much at the moment )
Ian drives in Aus F3 have been well quite outstanding and while Karl does have good drves under his belt the creeks performance was well sub state level driving and as a drive and the creek beening my fav track I was simply shocked in what I saw from Karl whom has had some laps around there and then see the Germany lads performance whom had never been there and the China's Driver again never been there was outstanding . Even taking all those good drives away the performance shown by Karl (and I hate to bash Karl) was well best I can put it sub State level . Again I think the car has more to answer for at least I hope for Karls sake that is the case .
Old 7 Feb 2007, 01:56 (Ref:1835080)   #11
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd rather give John Martin a go - I know he's very young and very inexperienced, but I think he's got the goods.
Old 7 Feb 2007, 05:39 (Ref:1835114)   #12
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Webber
Ian drives in Aus F3 have been well quite outstanding and while Karl does have good drves under his belt
When was the last time Ian had a proper run in Aus F3? Didnt see his name pop up much at all last year in the car and in 05 he ran a Cup Car for the year.

Where as Reindler has an Aus F3 Championship and has been running in British F3 for two years and run at Macau.

Barton Mawer has them both covered but has been constantly overlooked to my dismay.

I would be inclined to give John Martin another year yet, throwing him in at the deep end with a car that hasnt been properly soughted I dont think is the right way to go.
Old 7 Feb 2007, 07:00 (Ref:1835129)   #13
META4
Veteran

META4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Webber
Now I'll be careful (mods not liking me to much at the moment )
Ian drives in Aus F3 have been well quite outstanding and while Karl does have good drves under his belt the creeks performance was well sub state level driving and as a drive and the creek beening my fav track I was simply shocked in what I saw from Karl whom has had some laps around there and then see the Germany lads performance whom had never been there and the China's Driver again never been there was outstanding . Even taking all those good drives away the performance shown by Karl (and I hate to bash Karl) was well best I can put it sub State level . Again I think the car has more to answer for at least I hope for Karls sake that is the case .
Isn' it the magic of A1GP to see a chinese driver beating drivers from countries with more motorsport background... well done Ho Pin Tung...

I have a question what would be for you a realistic good performance from Team Australia ??? Top10??? Top5???
with who could you battle with if you had a good car ???
Germany/new Zealand/France???

Maybe you Aussie are just upset when you see New Zealand Performance...
Old 7 Feb 2007, 07:10 (Ref:1835134)   #14
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by META4
with who could you battle with if you had a good car ???
Germany/new Zealand/France???

Maybe you Aussie are just upset when you see New Zealand Performance...
If Aus were 15th and NZ 16th I am sure there would be plenty of upset people. People are disappointed as we are so far away from being competitive.
Old 7 Feb 2007, 07:14 (Ref:1835135)   #15
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
didnt karl reindler get a podium in the chinese round .... would've been good to see ian dyk get a crack at the creek
Old 7 Feb 2007, 09:46 (Ref:1835250)   #16
D.R.T.
Veteran

Karl drove well at Beijing but that podium had more to do with safety car timing than outright pace.

It would have been great to see Alan Moffat have a crack at the creek, likewise with Dyk it would have achieved much.
Old 10 Feb 2007, 23:12 (Ref:1838345)   #17
lovebritF3
Rookie

England
lovebritF3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the drivers just arent available. power davison briscoe have all moved on. reindler was running outside top 10 all season in britf3 so did anyone expect him to be further up in a car with twice the power? as for ian dyk and barton mawer, neither have been much quicker in testing and in rookie sessions.

what other drivers are out there? john martin for next year? cant be yet because hes only raced in FF and tested an f3 car
Old 18 Feb 2007, 00:52 (Ref:1844086)   #18
Xfiles
Rookie

Xfiles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
top performer

one driver that has always flogged all drivers mentioned is Neil McFadden
karting f/ford f4000 , has a long history of winning, don;t know what's doin
but he would be my choice.
Old 18 Feb 2007, 04:13 (Ref:1844122)   #19
M-Kart
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xfiles
Isnt he a kiwi?? (if i'm wrong, excuse my ignorance)
Old 18 Feb 2007, 04:59 (Ref:1844131)   #20
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Kart
Isnt he a kiwi?? (if i'm wrong, excuse my ignorance)
No..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 18 Feb 2007, 05:00 (Ref:1844132)   #21
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Perhaps his dealings and handlings with WPS in V8Supercar were something that has led to his omission from AJ's list...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 18 Feb 2007, 07:44 (Ref:1844157)   #22
M-Kart
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
No..
Sorry, my mistake - i just realised i had him confused with John McIntyre. must be lack of sleep (damn ambrose/busch series!!!)
Old 18 Feb 2007, 12:11 (Ref:1844284)   #23
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
When did he run head to head with the current crop ?
Old 19 Feb 2007, 20:47 (Ref:1845776)   #24
lovebritF3
Rookie

England
lovebritF3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
he tested a ADR f3 car at rockingham at the end of the season, apparently not to far off the pace of jarvis who had been racing all year.
Old 25 Feb 2007, 11:32 (Ref:1850947)   #25
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He was solid in F4000, and gave Rob Nygun a run for his money, iirc.