Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 1 May 2014, 11:39 (Ref:3400314)   #801
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just testing, seat time mainly. We hopefully found all the gremlins at Goodwood so this is to get me and the car used to each other. I'm hopeful of an entry for the Classic but until I could sort the testing and bits I wasn't going to send the entry.
Old 1 May 2014, 18:14 (Ref:3400478)   #802
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Would think that an entry will be dependent on whether they accept Gp1 cars. I know that was under discussion.....

Fingers crossed for you.
Old 1 May 2014, 21:55 (Ref:3400538)   #803
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Testing for a particular event Peter or just testing?

As usual with 'failures' the truth of my problem yesterday was more than just a bracket wilting under strain! While taking the axle off found the diagonally opposite link had fractured at the front........

Pleased in a way, as the bracket failing on its own didn't make sense!

So, not a lack of Black Pudding then?
Old 2 May 2014, 05:24 (Ref:3400595)   #804
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
So, not a lack of Black Pudding then?
No, definitely not- although that was another big disappointment........

And yes, windscreen collected and home safe, thanks.
Old 2 May 2014, 19:22 (Ref:3400907)   #805
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Hung around all day kicking my heals and raiding all the hospitality tents that I know . Been wet and now the fog has returned so we did not qualy . Just had a massive apple strudel to cheer me up .
Old 2 May 2014, 19:36 (Ref:3400914)   #806
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Hung around all day kicking my heals and raiding all the hospitality tents that I know . Been wet and now the fog has returned so we did not qualy . Just had a massive apple strudel to cheer me up .
Does that mean the chance of being in the Saturday night ferry are greater then or less than normal?

Old 3 May 2014, 08:11 (Ref:3401054)   #807
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Many of you have asked, "how do you feel in your front engine car when you are lapped by a whole gaggle of rear engine Formula Juniors. Well here is the answer":-
Attached Thumbnails
10310095_10202970635699417_240030898648424280_n.jpg  
Old 3 May 2014, 10:49 (Ref:3401085)   #808
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by compte deGraves View Post
Many of you have asked, "how do you feel in your front engine car when you are lapped by a whole gaggle of rear engine Formula Juniors. Well here is the answer":-

Thing is, Compte, those cars are not in your class, in every sense.......

Old 4 May 2014, 06:26 (Ref:3401721)   #809
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Catching up on the WEC from Spa last night, amused to hear about a problem one of the the new Porsche LMP1-H cars had during the race. Apparantly after taking too much kerb, the resulting jolt made it's electronics go into limp home mode. The driver then had to perform a 'hard reboot' out on the circuit in order to get going again. I wonder if he had to call a premium rate helpline to get advice.....

Old 4 May 2014, 06:40 (Ref:3401724)   #810
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I listened to testing and qualifying the day/night before. Lots of track limit violations especially at Radilon.
Old 4 May 2014, 08:43 (Ref:3401742)   #811
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I listened to testing and qualifying the day/night before. Lots of track limit violations especially at Radilon.
in the race,too. Any evidence of penalties?
Old 4 May 2014, 09:00 (Ref:3401750)   #812
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!

I did a bit of limit violating yesterday at Brooklands corner but I did mow the new grass that was there so I've saved Silverstone a few quid. The disappointing thing was that I was leading my class by about 10 seconds until the car started losing power and a vibration set in and slowly one by one everyone overtook me. For once I was willing the chequered flag to come out but it was a half hour race so from starting 7th I ended up 12th and finished the race in the pit lane. It was a plug lead that had come out of the distributor.
Old 4 May 2014, 10:51 (Ref:3401808)   #813
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Yes, noticed a bit if that on the after race review......

Naughty boys, wonder if they got spoken to!
Old 4 May 2014, 11:40 (Ref:3401823)   #814
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
There were lots of "this is your last warning" statements.
Old 4 May 2014, 12:16 (Ref:3401835)   #815
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Just watching the BTCC at Thruxton and I think a slightly cavalier attitude seemed to be being taken to track limits as the race progressed......
Old 4 May 2014, 14:50 (Ref:3401860)   #816
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Talking about the BTCC meeting, am I missing something? Formula Ford used to attract some of the largest grids in years gone by, yet on the, possibly, the most prestigious national racing series meeting, there are only 12 cars on the grid.

Is it more expensive to prepare the cars for these races, or are the entry fees so high that they become unaffordable to the average joe? Or, is it something that I can't see?
Old 4 May 2014, 16:41 (Ref:3401904)   #817
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Talking about the BTCC meeting, am I missing something? Formula Ford used to attract some of the largest grids in years gone by, yet on the, possibly, the most prestigious national racing series meeting, there are only 12 cars on the grid.

Is it more expensive to prepare the cars for these races, or are the entry fees so high that they become unaffordable to the average joe? Or, is it something that I can't see?
Too many modern formula choices? Or maybe people prefer the old Kent engined car, look at the grids they get!

Old 4 May 2014, 22:04 (Ref:3402111)   #818
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Just home . Mallory last Wednesday testing Monaco f3 car , all good . Back to Delta HQ swop over trucks and off to the Nurburgring . That went well car and driver happy , left there mid day , back to. Calais straight through customs this time it's all going too well . Off the ferry up the hill out if Dover and !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The blooming exhaust fell off the truck . Happy days
Old 5 May 2014, 05:44 (Ref:3402352)   #819
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
back to Calais straight through customs this time it's all going too well . Off the ferry up the hill out if Dover and !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The blooming exhaust fell off the truck . Happy days
Extra weight of all that apfelstrudel and ice cream..........

After finding that the only aerosol paint can I needed to paint the repaired Gilbern axle didn't work I decided to challenge myself and fit the new, delicate and expensive heated windscreen in my RS2. Amazing how long you can hold your breath (metaphorically!) when required, but it slid straight in without any suggestion of stubbornness. Almost an anti-climax........

Old 5 May 2014, 18:43 (Ref:3402546)   #820
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
I did a bit of limit violating yesterday at Brooklands corner but I did mow the new grass that was there so I've saved Silverstone a few quid. The disappointing thing was that I was leading my class by about 10 seconds until the car started losing power and a vibration set in and slowly one by one everyone overtook me. For once I was willing the chequered flag to come out but it was a half hour race so from starting 7th I ended up 12th and finished the race in the pit lane. It was a plug lead that had come out of the distributor.
Good grief man. Did you not just stop and tell your riding mechanic to fix the problem before making up the difference and taking the class win on the final straight?

Where are the modern heros?, etc. etc.
Old 7 May 2014, 08:28 (Ref:3403241)   #821
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Does anyone have a good recommendation for Ford type distributors . . .pre crossflow, crossflow and Twink ? I've run out of old stock and not seen a decent new one for years . . . .
Old 7 May 2014, 09:05 (Ref:3403254)   #822
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not sure if it will help but I was looking at the MiniSport website the other day and saw the following:
"Our range of brand new Mini Distributors 23D4, 25D4, 45D & 59D type distributors are manufactured using the original LUCAS tooling to the highest standards."
Old 7 May 2014, 09:08 (Ref:3403256)   #823
percy
Racer

percy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
Does anyone have a good recommendation for Ford type distributors . . .pre crossflow, crossflow and Twink ? I've run out of old stock and not seen a decent new one for years . . . .
H&H Ignitions have sorted me out in the past with my crossflow. Great service too...
Old 7 May 2014, 10:16 (Ref:3403279)   #824
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMorley View Post
Not sure if it will help but I was looking at the MiniSport website the other day and saw the following:
"Our range of brand new Mini Distributors 23D4, 25D4, 45D & 59D type distributors are manufactured using the original LUCAS tooling to the highest standards."

Bit of a contradiction in terms, I would have thought........

I live only a few hundred yards from MiniSport if that's any help....
Old 7 May 2014, 10:23 (Ref:3403281)   #825
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Quote:
Off the ferry up the hill out if Dover and !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The blooming exhaust fell off the truck . Happy days
Remember limping a Transit service barge, towing the Rover V8, back from a rally in Germany with a clonking propshaft UJ - it let go half-way up the hill out of Dover. As the van was fitted with a yank V8 and autobox, and rear disc brakes which didn't really have an effective handbrake, it did make unhitching the trailer, turning it round and re-hitching the van an interesting exercise....after we managed to run after the van as it started rolling back down to Dover. The driver seemed to think that putting it in Park should have stopped it.......