Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 21 Jan 2012, 11:23 (Ref:3014915)   #151
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valker View Post
Bottas himself has told Finnish media that he won't be racing in 2012. Vale will do 15 friday practices for Williams.
Did Williams already confirm that Bottas would replace Senna in each of those sessions rather than alternating with Maldonado?
Old 21 Jan 2012, 13:46 (Ref:3014980)   #152
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It wasn't annouced which driver he would replace, but people assumed Barrichello would stay on, so Bottas would likely replace Maldonado. Now they have Senna it's not quite so obvious. However, I read in... possibly Autosport magazine yesterday that Williams are expecting Senna to drive the car's development. So probably Bottas will be replacing Mal after all, as why would you replace your leading development driver?
Old 21 Jan 2012, 15:15 (Ref:3015009)   #153
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I am surprised that Bottas/his management said he won't be racing, really surprised. I imagine that is more to do with money not stretching that far than anything else?

The point about Senna's arrival may change that scneario though, as has been suggested he will need, and want, maximum car time and Maldonado will also expect that considering the size of his budget, so maybe Bottas will be allowed to race something after all?
Old 21 Jan 2012, 16:38 (Ref:3015041)   #154
cleanup
Rookie

England
cleanup should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
I am surprised that Bottas/his management said he won't be racing, really surprised. I imagine that is more to do with money not stretching that far than anything else?

The point about Senna's arrival may change that scneario though, as has been suggested he will need, and want, maximum car time and Maldonado will also expect that considering the size of his budget, so maybe Bottas will be allowed to race something after all?
Its Bottas that should have Maldonado's seat altogether,a cheque book racer is not good for William's long term success albeit, I understand the finance is essential. Bottas would be a far better option if the team needed results, take the red bull approach, get the new talent in, Senna will not be the answer to the big Williams come back we all want to see.
Old 21 Jan 2012, 17:26 (Ref:3015059)   #155
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanup View Post
Its Bottas that should have Maldonado's seat altogether,a cheque book racer is not good for William's long term success albeit, I understand the finance is essential. Bottas would be a far better option if the team needed results, take the red bull approach, get the new talent in, Senna will not be the answer to the big Williams come back we all want to see.
Bottas probably wouldn't be ready for an F1 race drive just yet, he really needs to be doing 3.5 or GP2 to keep race ready.

Maldonado's a pretty good driver, and fully deserving of an F1 drive. It's his attitude and/or intransigence that people are getting distracted by I think. Some may think this is all part of a misled belief of his that he is very good..... World Champion he may never be but he's not disgraced himself in terms of how quickly he's made the car go that's for sure.

I doubt there will be much between Senna and Maldonado anyway, more likely that the Venezuelan will be ahead.
Old 23 Jan 2012, 18:37 (Ref:3015811)   #156
cleanup
Rookie

England
Quote:
Bottas probably wouldn't be ready for an F1 race drive just yet, he really needs to be doing 3.5 or GP2 to keep race ready.

Maldonado's a pretty good driver, and fully deserving of an F1 drive. It's his attitude and/or intransigence that people are getting distracted by I think. Some may think this is all part of a misled belief of his that he is very good..... World Champion he may never be but he's not disgraced himself in terms of how quickly he's made the car go that's for sure.

I doubt there will be much between Senna and Maldonado anyway, more likely that the Venezuelan will be ahead.
I think Bottas is ready for F1, he is currently super race sharp, has great speed, natural talent and could adapt very quickly. As you say, Maldonado will never be world champ and Senna the same so for this reason alone, they are the wrong choice. Bottas has what it takes as does Jean Eric. Within a year, JEV will be ready to replace Webber (at last! ) and Williams may well be back where they belong and will need a strong driver line up. Get Bottas in the seat, kick out Maldonado, keep Senna for a year and then replace him with a Wickens or Calado who by then will be ready.
Old 23 Jan 2012, 20:24 (Ref:3015853)   #157
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

I agree with you about Bottas talent, but not so much re Maldonado. People can say he's got questionable motives but certainly not questionable talent.

The Williams stuff is for the F1 Forum!!
Old 23 Jan 2012, 23:00 (Ref:3015937)   #158
Latino
Rookie

Latino should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
interesting story about to break , F1 connected French driver managed by a short french well connected driver manager about to step down to World Series with a winning french team........ poor old kevin !
Old 23 Jan 2012, 23:42 (Ref:3015960)   #159
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That can only be Jules Bianchi, presumably to Tech 1 then??! FR3.5 is looking stronger and GP2 weaker by the day. Nice for those of us who like to wander inside the paddock without being some clueless VIP with a Bernie swipe card.
Old 24 Jan 2012, 10:52 (Ref:3016103)   #160
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
ooh i do love a gossip blind item
Old 24 Jan 2012, 13:04 (Ref:3016158)   #161
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Massive slap in the face to GP2 if Bianchi moves to FR 3.5. I still thought on the strength of the 2011 grids in each series that GP2 was the premier feeder series to F1 but maybe I have to re-evaluate in 2012.
Old 24 Jan 2012, 13:45 (Ref:3016183)   #162
ivanalesi
Veteran

Bulgaria
ivanalesi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GP2's image depends a lot on the experienced drivers and if they go to WSbR, then WSbR will be recognized as the feeder series closest to F1.
Old 24 Jan 2012, 14:03 (Ref:3016193)   #163
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
if i put my gp2 advocate hat on (it doesn't fit, and it's a clown hat), then it's just moving to an 'easier' championship to win a title because gp2 is too difficult.

which is clearly not really the story.

i guess it depends what you mean by "feeder series". if you mean, drivers are mostly already supported before f1 teams whilst they're in it and then end up in f1 as a result, it's gp2. if you mean genuine driver talent... hmm.
Old 24 Jan 2012, 15:00 (Ref:3016219)   #164
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

If this driver move does get confirmed, it will be one of the biggest stories at this level for many, many years surely?

I also wonder who else will follow suit, I'm thinking drivers who perhaps would struggle to raise 2 million (as usual) but might, just might, raise a million or so for 3.5?
Old 24 Jan 2012, 15:29 (Ref:3016233)   #165
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
i know it's probably not going to happen but i'd really like to see kevin ceccon in fr3.5. sam bird too, that'd be *really* interesting. it'd be good for it to become somewhere for the 3rd drivers to keep their hands in and somewhere younger drivers can size up their own potential against them. that'd create a really interesting dynamic.
Old 24 Jan 2012, 18:41 (Ref:3016334)   #166
cleanup
Rookie

England
Quote:
If this driver move does get confirmed, it will be one of the biggest stories at this level for many, many years surely?

I also wonder who else will follow suit, I'm thinking drivers who perhaps would struggle to raise 2 million (as usual) but might, just might, raise a million or so for 3.5?
If true, will be very interesting but is this scenario more likely to happen more often? There are quite a few quality drivers that have done 2 or more years in GP2 with possible F1 opportunities but alas, are put into the ever increasing F1 waiting room. WSR is commercially the best place for veteran GP2 drivers unless crazy wealthy, then do a Maldanado, 4th time lucky then buy your way in and push out the talent. Be great to see Bianchi and Bird in WSR, clever move.
Old 24 Jan 2012, 21:00 (Ref:3016427)   #167
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Doesn't that run the risk of FR3.5 being turned into a GP2 waiting room?
Old 24 Jan 2012, 21:44 (Ref:3016453)   #168
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanup View Post
If true, will be very interesting but is this scenario more likely to happen more often? There are quite a few quality drivers that have done 2 or more years in GP2 with possible F1 opportunities but alas, are put into the ever increasing F1 waiting room. WSR is commercially the best place for veteran GP2 drivers unless crazy wealthy, then do a Maldanado, 4th time lucky then buy your way in and push out the talent. Be great to see Bianchi and Bird in WSR, clever move.
Ok, so we are aware that you are not a great fan of Pastor Maldonado!

One cannot argue the fact that he was a race winner and title contender in Formula Renault 2.0 and 3.5 prior to GP2 and was a front runner every season in that until he won it so regardless of how much backing he has had, he is a good enough driver, and still very much maturing in my view. (Yes, I hear you say, he jolly well needs to!!)

FR 3.5 is probably going to be the best place for any aspiring F1 driver coming out of the level below (no matter whether they have done GP2 already or not) mainly because of what the whole package will cost relative to GP2.

It seems the only thing really going for GP2 at present is its presence on the GP support bill and the time it gives drivers on F1 circuits.

FR 3.5 however, will now be a lot closer to GP2 performance....

It might be easy for us to say in light of the Bianchi situation but maybe this is a perfectly logical direction we will be seeing unless/until GP2 budgets are revised - something I can't see happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostrogothicus View Post
Doesn't that run the risk of FR3.5 being turned into a GP2 waiting room?
In a way this is what it was until about 3 years ago when Red Bull's guys wereb't put in GP2 anymore and started to take over 3.5....

With GP2 frontrunner like Bianchi coming in, it can't really be a GP2 waiting room anymore can it?

Last edited by chunterer; 25 Jan 2012 at 09:38.
Old 24 Jan 2012, 21:46 (Ref:3016456)   #169
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe Bianchi has a deal to do some F1 Fridays, which the rules prevent you from combining with racing in GP2?
Old 24 Jan 2012, 23:02 (Ref:3016509)   #170
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
It seems the only thing really going for GP2 at present is its presence on the GP support bill and the time it gives drivers on F1 circuits.
i think a lot of this is negated by fr3.5 racing on similar circuits. particularly in 2011. it's only come 2012 that they've drifted a bit. in 2011 you had silverstone, monaco, monza, hungaroring, nurburgring, barcelona and spa. that's not bad!

i keep saying this but many, if not most of the guys who have gone from gp2 to f1 already had connections with f1 teams just like the red bull young'ins do. nico rosberg, lewis hamilton, nico hulkenberg, romain grosjean... if you've left it till gp2/fr3.5 to start showing your talent you'd better have a very big wallet. like maldonado, perez, petrov, pic (lots of p's), etc.

Last edited by chunterer; 25 Jan 2012 at 09:38.
Old 25 Jan 2012, 09:26 (Ref:3016658)   #171
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMiller View Post
Maybe Bianchi has a deal to do some F1 Fridays, which the rules prevent you from combining with racing in GP2?
That's certainly the way I read it.
Old 25 Jan 2012, 09:42 (Ref:3016670)   #172
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i think a lot of this is negated by fr3.5 racing on similar circuits. particularly in 2011. it's only come 2012 that they've drifted a bit. in 2011 you had silverstone, monaco, monza, hungaroring, nurburgring, barcelona and spa. that's not bad!

i keep saying this but many, if not most of the guys who have gone from gp2 to f1 already had connections with f1 teams just like the red bull young'ins do. nico rosberg, lewis hamilton, nico hulkenberg, romain grosjean... if you've left it till gp2/fr3.5 to start showing your talent you'd better have a very big wallet. like maldonado, perez, petrov, pic (lots of p's), etc.
Yes, that is how it seems both on the circuit and money fronts.

Those circuits you mention are in the top list of challenging tracks a driver needs to know before F1 aren't they, the others probably being outside of Europe anyway?

The leaving it late thing is a good summary, in fact I can only think of a small number of guys who either didn't have out and out F1 connections or a thick wallet. Maybe Glock, even if he had done a couple of races and some testing years before, is the only one in recent times?
Old 25 Jan 2012, 10:57 (Ref:3016705)   #173
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
Those circuits you mention are in the top list of challenging tracks a driver needs to know before F1 aren't they, the others probably being outside of Europe anyway?

The leaving it late thing is a good summary, in fact I can only think of a small number of guys who either didn't have out and out F1 connections or a thick wallet. Maybe Glock, even if he had done a couple of races and some testing years before, is the only one in recent times?
re: the circuits... yeah. i mean there's enough technology in simulators to be able to get a fair idea of a place before you turn up anyway, and since drs there's less emphasis on the fine art of finding places to overtake that aren't in the manual. so it's arguably a lot less important than before anyway?

re: drivers...yeah, glocks one of the very few isn't he? d'ambrosio is another whose wallet eased his way. di grassi too, though he ended up going in a different direction to his f1 affiliation. any others?
Old 25 Jan 2012, 21:33 (Ref:3017041)   #174
ivanalesi
Veteran

Bulgaria
ivanalesi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It just occurred to me, Ricciardo did Monte Carlo while taking pole in WSbR. So, GP2's rules prevent you from taking part in F1 Fridays while racing!?
Old 26 Jan 2012, 09:12 (Ref:3017235)   #175
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Well, I am not sure what sort of business/racing arrangement Bird has with Merc, I would've thought he'd be in GT3 or DTM, if not, than hopefully he signs up for 3.5. Can't wait for more quality signings.