Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Classic Cars

Old 4 Apr 2002, 03:52 (Ref:251494)   #26
strad
Veteran

strad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Plymouths were Valiants and the Dodges were Darts.
They were the same car underneath..
What did they call Pontiacs up there?? Can't remember,,started with a B..
I think that Aussie Charger could really scream with the right mix of MoPar catalog parts...could do it up as a real sleeper...

Last edited by strad; 4 Apr 2002 at 03:57.
Old 4 Apr 2002, 04:09 (Ref:251501)   #27
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by djb
Strad, as you, I didn't have a clue what they were talking about. From the rear, the side bits behind the rear window have a Javelin look to them , as well as a XJ-S look as well. (this is from looking at the some of the '71 shots) Have to agree that it's a nice shape and its interesting to see the American influences.

The Valients are just like the Darts and Valients over here from tthat time. (the Valient name disappeared to be replaced by the Dart if I remember correctly)

another thanks for the pics
Remeber the early 70's variants, the Dodge Demon and the Plymouth Duster?

The Australian Charger is a handsome car, much less fussy than the early '70's North American cars. I always liked the last Challengers and Baracudas and I thought that the circa 1973 Plynouth Sebring was elegant.

My vote though goes to the first Chevy Vegas, before the f mile and Hour bumpers went on-they were cute and had a great wide open grille like a small Camaro.
Old 4 Apr 2002, 05:11 (Ref:251513)   #28
strad
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by EERO

My vote though goes to the first Chevy Vegas, before the f mile and Hour bumpers went on-they were cute and had a great wide open grille like a small Camaro.
----------------------------------------------------------
Well they were cute, but best with a small block in the back seat............
Old 4 Apr 2002, 05:13 (Ref:251514)   #29
strad
Veteran

Just joking my friend...
We have any drag racing fans here?

Last edited by strad; 4 Apr 2002 at 05:14.
Old 4 Apr 2002, 18:45 (Ref:252012)   #30
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Of course re:Plymouth and Dodge. My grandad had Valients and ten or fifteen years later one of my friends family had a Dart so I forgot the diff. companies and applied the age difference.

As for the Dusters, and Polaris's and all those other ones, I always found the lines too rounded and "bulgy"-even back then.

Vega's, too small, although I remember a few that were done up with wide tires and everything and they looked pretty good. In the Aussie charger site, the first 73 car, a red one, has a direct side shot that has a Vega look to it don't you think? The other day when I was thinking this, the Vega name didn't come, but when Eero mentioned it, I went "that's it!"

oh and ps, nope Strad, although I was always impressed by 1/4 mile times, I've always been a curvey late braking type of guy.

Last edited by djb; 4 Apr 2002 at 18:47.
Old 5 Apr 2002, 11:43 (Ref:252603)   #31
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm not really a drag racing fan, though i have been a few times and the top cars are very impressive. In Australia, drag racing fans outnumber road racing fans by about 10 to 1. Like DJB, I've always been more impressed though by late braking and plenty of corner speed.
Old 6 Apr 2002, 12:39 (Ref:253417)   #32
strad
Veteran

Well I started out curvy, then I went straight, then I went back to the twisties ,then I went back straight...
I just love the expolsive power,,
F1 is my first love but I'll always have a soft spot for drag racing.

Last edited by strad; 6 Apr 2002 at 12:49.
Old 6 Apr 2002, 12:52 (Ref:253418)   #33
strad
Veteran

My last attempt..
Now will some computer whiz explain why the scanning process reversed the lettering??
Attached Thumbnails
cds.jpg  
Old 7 Apr 2002, 05:45 (Ref:253940)   #34
strad
Veteran

BTW, djb,,,I wasn't being funny...lots of people get the brands mixed and it's easy to see why,,,for the most part the mechanicals were interchangeable...
One reason people concentrate on the Chevys in the U.S. is that there are more parts available and thus it's cheaper, so the Dodges and Plymouths are a little more rare.
Had a 430hp 69 Roadrunner, one of my favorites.
Nobody answered, about the cost down under for hot rod parts. I've heard that it is fair to midlin' expensive.
Old 7 Apr 2002, 13:48 (Ref:254122)   #35
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
"Well I started out curvy, then I went straight, then I went back to the twisties ,then I went back straight... "

Strad, if you really are a long shoreman, I wouldn't utter THAT at work!

Like you said about the explosive power, it is just mind boggling the speeds the top cars get to in only a quarter and 6 seconds or less.
As for your photo, unless you scanned a slide and put it in backwards, the only thing that makes sense is that somewhere along the line, a "flip image" thingee is set to the "on" position. Was it a digital camera shot, a flatbed scanner from a print, or any kind of scanner using a slide? Can't claim to be a total expert, but this is in my line of work.
Old 8 Apr 2002, 03:13 (Ref:254517)   #36
strad
Veteran

hehehe, yeah I thought about the wording after I wrote it,,, got a pic in my profile,,
I grabbed a photo off my wall and scanned it...it does a mirror image thing I reckon.