Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 21 Feb 2001, 10:02 (Ref:65859)   #1
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
According to MN: Tom Ferrier has lost his drive at 888 citing a "last minute clash of sponsorship interests".

As 888 have only carried Vauxhall branding on the cars and if even if his sponsors clashed with 888 works team presumably he could be placed with the satellite team, do we take it that this is 'corporate speak' for the fact that his sponsors either pulled out or couldn't come up with the required amount.

Ferrier says he will "regroup and make plans for 2002" which I guess means we won't be seeing him out anywhere this year.

Enter James Thompson stage right?

Old 21 Feb 2001, 11:49 (Ref:65875)   #2
hunttheshunt
Veteran

hunttheshunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Ferrier isn't going to be driving for 888, Thommo looks an almost certainty for the third Astra. If that is the case, could a certain 2000 BTCC Champion be in line for a fourth Astra Coupe? And what about Ferrier in a private Astra? Or back in a SP Alfa 156 with Gavin Pyper like last year?
Old 21 Feb 2001, 12:16 (Ref:65882)   #3
pit rat
Rookie

pit rat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ahah told you so

Ferrier out at Triple 8, told you didn't I? A smokescreen while he gets shunted out to the private team I'll bet. No panic situation - and certainly not Thommo as a replacement, or so I've heard.

Though Thommo was in with the Lexus lot, just heard a whisper.
Old 21 Feb 2001, 14:22 (Ref:65897)   #4
hunttheshunt
Veteran

Well 888 have already said they will run four Astras directly w/another two being let out to privateers. Who will the other two 888 drivers be if one of them is not Thommo, as pit rat would have us believe? Alain Menu? David Leslie? Toni Roukkonen? Vincent Radermecker?
Old 21 Feb 2001, 15:31 (Ref:65908)   #5
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hunt

Its OK coming up with names but somebody has to pay for it.

Running a BTC car isn't going to be cheap. It will still cost around the same to run as an Independent Super Tourer.

The manufacturers reckon the BTC is cheap, but they are comparing £10 million a year with £4 million a year.

To run a BTC team with all the pit gear, pit crew plus other team personnel. Plus premises, transport and accomodation costs is already a few hundred thousand per year before you start running the car, re-building gearboxes and engines plus basic running costs, like brake pads, discs, etc. This is before we get into any damage costs.

I've been there and done it, I know what it costs to run a race team at this level and there are some baseline costs that you cannot do without.

Thats before you start paying guys like, Menu and Leslie to drive the cars. Personally I think if Vauxhall want more cars out there, they will have to pay for them. I can't see any privateers in the wings wanting to run free BTC cars let alone buying them at £110,000 a piece.

In anycase its too late in the day to start putting together a deal like this. If you were going to run cars in the BTC, you will have needed to make a decision on it before Christmas at the latest.
Old 21 Feb 2001, 17:13 (Ref:65918)   #6
Sit tightly
Rookie

Sit tightly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All in good time

I've never heard such a load of uninformed rubbish in my life!!!

TF has lost his drive - period.

As for all the speculation over the other seats - just relax and be patient! For the last two weeks Autosport has said it will be a 888 four car team then five cars. If we wait long enough we'll all be driving for Vauxhall.

If Thompson is in a car with another driver then I'm sure it will be a properly funded program - after all can you see drivers of this calibre settling for anything else?

The bottom line is no one on this forum knows - OR should I say if they do then they are hardly likely to spill the beans here - it just wouldn't be professional.

Old 21 Feb 2001, 17:21 (Ref:65919)   #7
Racer

****** should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Out of interest what team were you involved with Super tourer?
Old 21 Feb 2001, 18:09 (Ref:65924)   #8
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Sit Tightly

Obviously you are not refering to me as ill informed comment - step forward all those with BTCC team experience!!

As for Thompson and 'calibre' with only a few weeks to the start of the motor racing season - what are his other options .....er....none.

Apparently he went over to America hoping to make a big splash, waving his Honda credentials at anyone who'd look.

Their response ' ..and you are?'

I know I'm a cynic but I've been around a long time...deals in motorsport are like an ice sculpture, they look fantastic for short time then suddenly melt away.

Old 21 Feb 2001, 19:36 (Ref:65948)   #9
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
I've been racking my brains all day trying to work out what the "clash of interests" could be but as ST said 888 don't have any big sponsors outside of Vauxhall. Unless they've signed a major deal with a new sponsor and just haven't announced it yet - it's possible, but I think we would have heard something.

Did anyone notice that there's a quote from Derek Warwick on autosport.com talking about the tyre tests where he says there will be 6 Astras running this year - 2 factory-backed run by 888, 2 satelite 888 and 2 privately run
Old 21 Feb 2001, 20:12 (Ref:65952)   #10
hunttheshunt
Veteran

Warwick was supposed to be putting together a deal w/a major sponsor a few weeks ago-this could help w/funding. If Warwick has said there will be 6 Astras (which he has-see Autosport), surely they (888) must have some extra funds. I mean, they will still be paying big bucks for Muller and Plato, and building 6 Astras is still quite expensive. Even if they sell two to independent teams, they needn some funding outside of Vauxhall. I think they've found somebody-i can't see then running 4 Astras directly otherwise.
Old 21 Feb 2001, 21:38 (Ref:65972)   #11
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Autosport magazine said:
"Top-level BTCC sources claim 888 has secured the backing to add two cars to its existing three."
I'm always wary of the media when they say 'spokesperson, top-level sources' etc etc.
Do you think they actually pay a team mechanic etc for info?