Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 21 Dec 2005, 17:47 (Ref:1488206)   #26
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
crowd admission money rarely goes to the series anyway, so i see it as completely irrelevant judge of whether a series is financially stable or not...
Old 21 Dec 2005, 22:24 (Ref:1488393)   #27
Roninho
Racer

Roninho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bella >> If they don't get any crowd admission money, then how does it work? Does the circuit pay a1gp, or is there a promotor who pays the circuit & a1gp? I mean if they don't get any money from crowd admission how can they make money?
Old 21 Dec 2005, 22:49 (Ref:1488406)   #28
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Circuit will pay A1GP.

Most of the money comes from TV rights though
Old 21 Dec 2005, 23:52 (Ref:1488436)   #29
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
But the circuit gets its money from the spectators, so the size of the crowd (or lack of one) is important in that respect. It also makes the show look better on TV.
Old 22 Dec 2005, 08:46 (Ref:1488523)   #30
mbathshah
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
mbathshah has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon
I have visited Dubai and Bahrain on
So have I. The point is why did they hold the race on Sunday? - surely for races in countries where the weekend is different it wouldn't be too hard to respect the local traditions by moving the race to Friday?

With respect to revenues I don't see much sponsorship on the cars (with the exception of China) and with TV audiences representing a miniscule amount compared to F1 how on earth is this series being funded? After all the A1GP business model was touted by the Sheikh to prospective team owners as a Business Model that would produce a profit. I for one can't see how that will happen any time soon. The question is how long will some team owners sit around bleeding cash with no payback in sight?
Old 22 Dec 2005, 08:49 (Ref:1488528)   #31
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
The reason the race was held on Sunday has already been covered earlier in this thread. It was because of global TV rights etc and the majority of countries taking the feed having their weekend on a Saturday and Sunday.
Old 22 Dec 2005, 13:37 (Ref:1488698)   #32
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As SG says it had to be Qualy on Saturday and Races on Sunday for TV etc. Knowing that attendance on a work day could be a problem, it was initially suggested that the races take place in the evening after work hours under floodlights.
Unfortunately that didn't happen, but might very well occur next year with a a full 12 months planning behind it.
Old 3 Jan 2006, 13:35 (Ref:1494101)   #33
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
No news means good news I guess.
Old 3 Feb 2006, 14:54 (Ref:1514850)   #34
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks to Russfeld for the link :

http://www.themercury.co.za/index.ph...icleId=3095359
Old 3 Feb 2006, 15:20 (Ref:1514859)   #35
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Jos, that has been settled out of court according to Reuters.
Old 4 Feb 2006, 06:32 (Ref:1515262)   #36
kmsport
Veteran

Australia
SA
kmsport has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
So A1 has a short life then?
I thought it was doing ok, but seems not to be the case...
Old 4 Feb 2006, 18:06 (Ref:1515549)   #37
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
All that discussion on crowd sizes, although a good debate, doesn't really belong in this forum - let alone this thread! So, I've snipped it out and sent it over to Trackside. Apologies if any posts on both subjects have ended up elsewhere, but now we can leave this for financial discussions.
Old 4 Feb 2006, 18:16 (Ref:1515555)   #38
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Green
Jos, that has been settled out of court according to Reuters.
It's good to see things have been resolved - but it's somewhat scary that the situation presented itself in the first place. This is the second story about financial problems - I don't know if they're related or not, but it's still not good.
Could there be a next time? And if there is, might it not be resolved as easily? It's not encouraging, that's for sure.
Old 5 Feb 2006, 22:27 (Ref:1516254)   #39
lewis360
Rookie

lewis360 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think A1 GP is a great concept but there is to much driver range if the drivers were all around the same skill level den it would be a very good series
Old 6 Feb 2006, 11:28 (Ref:1516490)   #40
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I do too. I do however find it interesting that I heard a lil rumour that Team NZ is probably the only country to be competing in 100% of the rounds this season. Team NZ is probably one of the smallest countries too.....
Old 6 Feb 2006, 13:55 (Ref:1516563)   #41
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It!
. . . Team NZ is probably one of the smallest countries too.....
But not in terms of its commitment to, and interest in, racing. (Never mind successes and great drivers.)

Jim
Old 6 Feb 2006, 16:25 (Ref:1516639)   #42
Jackman
Veteran

Jackman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewis360
i think A1 GP is a great concept but there is to much driver range if the drivers were all around the same skill level den it would be a very good series
If they had that, plus better cars, it would be GP2.
Old 7 Feb 2006, 06:20 (Ref:1517017)   #43
goughy75
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne
goughy75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewis360
I agree with that im from Australia and there is great variance between the 3 drivers we use which makes it disapointing when the best driver is not racing.

Goughy

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 7 Feb 2006 at 12:02. Reason: Link to another forum Website URL removed. - Not relevant to post.
Old 7 Feb 2006, 07:52 (Ref:1517034)   #44
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Goughy,

It is not acceptible to post your website in your signature...sorry.

Welcome to ten-tenths by the way.
Old 7 Feb 2006, 22:13 (Ref:1517570)   #45
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks as though we could have seen the last of Team India - the team manager, drivers and engineers have all been asked to submit their resignation by the franchise holder who isn't happy with the situation - Indian companies don't seem to be keen to get behind the team, sadly.
So no India this weekend, but the team may end up being propped up by A1, or the franchise sold onto another country.
Old 8 Feb 2006, 03:42 (Ref:1517750)   #46
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How sad. One of the main points of A1 is to develop the sport in such countries as India where there is not much history - but that takes time. With such a young driver and Indian engineering staff instead of a UK based GP2 spinoff like many of the others, the current Team India setup was an investment for the future, disappointing that the seat holder is taking such a short term view and has run out of patience.

Quite a few other countries have not yet secured much sponsorship either, let's hope that Russia, Japan and India are the only dropouts and we continue with 22 teams.

Also, don't understand this comment:
Quote:
I heard a lil rumour that Team NZ is probably the only country to be competing in 100% of the rounds this season.
Besides the above mentioned three dropouts, all of the others seem to be doing the whole season?
Old 8 Feb 2006, 04:19 (Ref:1517763)   #47
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Where are the sponsors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbathshah
...With respect to revenues I don't see much sponsorship on the cars (with the exception of China) and with TV audiences representing a miniscule amount compared to F1 how on earth is this series being funded?
I watched an A1 race for the first time recently (the Durban race broadcast on tape by OLN in the US) and that was the first thing that I noticed--lots of empty real estate on most of the cars. It was an exciting race, but I don't see how the series can survive long without more sponsorship money. Perhaps if the TV ratings are good, the sponsors will come on board, but right now it looks like major corporate sponsors just aren't interested in A1.
Old 8 Feb 2006, 09:06 (Ref:1517872)   #48
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3
The current Team India setup was an investment for the future, disappointing that the seat holder is taking such a short term view and has run out of patience.

Quite a few other countries have not yet secured much sponsorship either, let's hope that Russia, Japan and India are the only dropouts and we continue with 22 teams.
Maybe The Boss has actioned some initial franchise purchase agreements seeking payment for such??
Old 9 Feb 2006, 01:30 (Ref:1518484)   #49
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK, latest is that India may not miss this weekend's races, but it could be a somewhat "fresher" team that competes. Guess we'll have to wait and see...
Old 9 Feb 2006, 02:01 (Ref:1518499)   #50
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHWS
I watched an A1 race for the first time recently (the Durban race broadcast on tape by OLN in the US) and that was the first thing that I noticed--lots of empty real estate on most of the cars. It was an exciting race, but I don't see how the series can survive long without more sponsorship money. Perhaps if the TV ratings are good, the sponsors will come on board, but right now it looks like major corporate sponsors just aren't interested in A1.
In comparison to season beggining, many A1GP teams put some sponsorship on their cars: for example, carmaker Proton became sponsor of Team Malaysia, and Sonax is sponsoring Czech team. Among other teams with sponsors on cars are New Zealand, South Africa, Indonesia, Pakistan, Mexico and China.