Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 15 Mar 2006, 12:27 (Ref:1549402)   #26
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As MN points out, this is yet another example of rather poor organisation on the part of A1GP. A1GP's indecision about when they want the races to run has had massive impacts and caused enormous headaches for those trying to sort national racing calendars this year.
Old 15 Mar 2006, 12:30 (Ref:1549403)   #27
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sowman
As MN points out, this is yet another example of rather poor organisation on the part of A1GP. A1GP's indecision about when they want the races to run has had massive impacts and caused enormous headaches for those trying to sort national racing calendars this year.
At least MSV have taken the decision not to try and fit it in at another point this year, which would then have caused major problems and more bumping around of calendars. It will still have consequences, but credit to MSV for encouraging A1GP to avoid a lot of them.
Old 15 Mar 2006, 12:33 (Ref:1549405)   #28
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, good for them. It shouldn't have too many impacts as what was the A1GP meeting should be able to stand alone as an F3 event.
Old 15 Mar 2006, 12:35 (Ref:1549407)   #29
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Personally I think the date change is a good one, as has been said last years A1 race at Brands attracted a decent crowd but could have been much bigger had it not conflicted with other racing series that were on during the same weekend. Just a shame the race is taking place at Brands Hatch though, Donnington's GP layout or Silverstone's GP circuit would be much better. IMO.
Old 15 Mar 2006, 12:50 (Ref:1549418)   #30
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Yes but it's Brands Hatch who hold the 3 year contract with A1GP
Old 15 Mar 2006, 12:58 (Ref:1549425)   #31
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah Im fully aware of that Stephen, i just felt like adding that it is my opinion that it is a shame that Brands Hatch is the venue for the GB round of A1 GP.
Old 15 Mar 2006, 13:50 (Ref:1549489)   #32
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Brands did such a great job of putting on the opening event for A1GP that it would be wrong, IMO, even to think of going elsewhere for 2006/7, particularly as MSV has a 3-year contract.

What does concern me is the way in which A1GP, supposedly an off season series, is encroaching on the normal season. It causes huge problems, as Ian Sowman has mentioned.

It also means, as we have seen this year, that the first choice drivers become unavailable due to other commitments. This could be a good thing if countries were prepared to switch drivers on a regular basis or choose drivers who do not have other commitments. But if you're in it to win it, that's easier said than done.
Old 15 Mar 2006, 14:41 (Ref:1549531)   #33
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
just felt like adding that it is my opinion that it is a shame that Brands Hatch is the venue for the GB round of A1 GP.

err its the logical choice, huge history, great viewing, very good location - in the population centre of the UK. London is a very international city which appeals to A1GP. In fact I don't think any other circuit in the UK could do it justice. When you look at the pictures of the cars going into paddock hill and a wall of people watching - many who had never attended a race before (note the number of Asians there to cheer on India and especially Pakistan).

In fact Brands as A1 Finale will be great.

Though A1 certainly is beginning to encroach on the season proper which is a problem
Old 15 Mar 2006, 15:26 (Ref:1549556)   #34
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
In fact Brands as A1 Finale will be great.
I'm not sure about that. Let's see how Shanghai goes this year.

Most of the more successful drivers have moved on to other things now and the title is decided, although I suppose there's still a scrap of sorts for the minor places. It could be a bit of an anti-climax.
Old 15 Mar 2006, 15:31 (Ref:1549562)   #35
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They need to change the A1 season back so it starts mid / end October and finishes mid / end Feb.
Old 15 Mar 2006, 15:49 (Ref:1549580)   #36
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze
They need to change the A1 season back so it starts mid / end October and finishes mid / end Feb.
That would mean not more than 1 round in Europe.
Old 15 Mar 2006, 15:53 (Ref:1549584)   #37
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Why not more than one? Start it in mid Oct, GB - two weeks later (end Oct) Germany and move on as now.
Old 15 Mar 2006, 15:58 (Ref:1549592)   #38
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze
Why not more than one? Start it in mid Oct, GB - two weeks later (end Oct) Germany and move on as now.
Pretty cold in Germany by then ,anyway I think Lausitz has already been dropped due to poor crowd.We are talking Zandvoot in October -finnish at Brands at easter.
Old 15 Mar 2006, 16:06 (Ref:1549598)   #39
Suze
Veteran

England
Yes, it was pretty cold when they headed over this this season too, that was beginning of October....
Old 15 Mar 2006, 16:58 (Ref:1549628)   #40
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The reasons for moving seem spurious, at best.

Brands in April? bbrrr
Old 15 Mar 2006, 17:02 (Ref:1549632)   #41
Suze
Veteran

England
It could be worse...!
Old 15 Mar 2006, 17:05 (Ref:1549635)   #42
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Brands in April ought not be that different from Brands at the end of September...
Old 15 Mar 2006, 17:07 (Ref:1549636)   #43
Suze
Veteran

England
No, nor Brands in October... (been there, done that). That's survivable!
Old 18 Mar 2006, 18:16 (Ref:1552014)   #44
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEEN S7R
Just a shame the race is taking place at Brands Hatch though, Donnington's GP layout or Silverstone's GP circuit would be much better. IMO.
Personally I think it's great that A1GP races at Brands. My abiding memory of last year was being in the forest on the GP loop watching the A1GP and TGP practice sessions in the rain. It was like travelling back in time to a different era. The place has atmosphere, history and character by the bucketloads, something I see less of in Donington or Silverstone. And the size of the crowds on raceday was very impressive (I don't think there was much else on the national calendar that weekend actually, BSB aside).

Having a series of A1GP's level at Brands adds much needed variety to the national scene IMO - Silverstone and Donington are already have a monopoly on top-line single-seater racing (F1, GP2, Grand Prix Masters, World Series by Renault, Euroseries 3000...) If it was the Brands Indy circuit being used my opinion would be different (witness the 2003 Champ Car race), but the GP circuit is a true classic, and one of the better tracks on the A1GP calendar. Last year didn't see as much overtaking as we've come to expect from later races, so maybe Donington or Silverstone might provide more opportunities. But I'm still glad to see it at Brands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
Though A1 certainly is beginning to encroach on the season proper which is a problem
Agree entirely.

With the next Brands round moved to April 2007, I'm kind of worried that (as foxy mole suggested) it could be something of an anti-climax. Anyone bound for GP2 etc will have probably abandoned the series by then, so we may see one of the weakest fields of the year.
Old 18 Mar 2006, 19:50 (Ref:1552114)   #45
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Glad to see the Brands date moved.

I'm planning on visiting the Le Mans Series race at Donington in August, but also wanted to take in A1GP next year/season.
Old 19 Mar 2006, 12:33 (Ref:1552672)   #46
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
CombeMarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not looking forward to camping in April!
Old 19 Mar 2006, 15:59 (Ref:1552802)   #47
Matski
Racer

Matski has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I wonder if they could get an A1GP car round the nordschleife?
So, after waiting 20 minutes for him to come out of the back of the garage, Matski asks "Are you going to get Jacques' seat then?" Robert replies "ha ha, I don't know!", signs Matksi's cap, and retreats to his motorhome.
Old 19 Mar 2006, 16:55 (Ref:1552842)   #48
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Calabasas Hills, California
Fiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matski
I wonder if they could get an A1GP car round the nordschleife?
Oh man! That would be a dream!
Old 23 Mar 2006, 11:21 (Ref:1558433)   #49
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
From todays Autosport-likely calendar;
Sept 3 Zandvoot
Oct Brno
Sydney
Acapulco
San Antonio
Durban
Malaysia
Indonesia
Apr Brands Hatch
Old 23 Mar 2006, 12:46 (Ref:1558481)   #50
ausracefan
Rookie

Australia
Frankston
ausracefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob29
From todays Autosport-likely calendar;
Sept 3 Zandvoot
Oct Brno
Sydney
Acapulco
San Antonio
Durban
Malaysia
Indonesia
Apr Brands Hatch
Not a bad calendar. Lets hope San Antonio is as good as Durban and where is Acapulco. SHould be interesting if this is the real calendar