Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Mar 2005, 14:35 (Ref:1241210)   #1
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Bernie's idea for reduced testing - test only on race weekends...

I'd love to post the link, but it is javascript, and as of yet, un-postable, but gazzetta.it is reporting that Bernie has proposed the following (roughly translated from Italian):

"Every Monday after a GP be designated a testing day. The teams would save immensely because they'd already be at the circuit regardless (for the GP), and they would not have to send 50 men to Barcellona (or whatever) every week to test. He is also in favour of reducing testing to 30 days in total, of which 20 would have to be Friday or Monday testing at the GP weekend."

I can't see Ferrari agreeing to close their private testing track, though And don't teams set out to test at a given circuit because it is similar to something that is on the calandar later in the year? So it seems stupid to test after a GP for a GP that has just passed.

Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 3 Mar 2005 at 14:37.
Old 3 Mar 2005, 14:53 (Ref:1241226)   #2
SetikX
Racer

SetikX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Question;

which scenerio, if any, are OK.

A team MAKES a track, on their own real estate, for testing - and tests. Does this track get included as an offical testing track.

A team MAKES a track INSIDE their headquarters for testing purposes, is THAT included.

If they are - why? Teams utilise better wind tunnels, better staff, better management, better funding. I agree with these thoughts put forward by Bernie - great ideas - but they raise questions in my mind.

Another question which I would like to ask is regarding testing. Running a 3rd car on race day - for a team like mclaren is very vital for shaking down a car. However, if mid season, they know the car, they have a significant lead in the championship, CAN THEY RUN A HYBRID CAR as a 3rd car. For example, a whole new generation car for the following year.

Further more, with regulations changing so often, teams cant afford to stop development of current year car, to put resources into the next years car. All their work can be considered useless if the regs interfere with that. This makes me think those teams like toyota, who can pour funds into 24 hour development on a car, with mass staff, and mass resources, will have the edge. No more planning ahead.

Last edited by SetikX; 3 Mar 2005 at 15:01.
Old 3 Mar 2005, 14:54 (Ref:1241228)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I remember not too long ago some teams often stayed on after a GP. I think that was when the rule about circuits you could test at was slightly different (something like except Barcelona and a couple of others you can't test at a circuit until after the race that year).

If you are to restrict testing then it isn't a bad idea.
Old 3 Mar 2005, 15:00 (Ref:1241236)   #4
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There have been several good suggestions like this idea-either increased running before the event or afterwards.

The trouble is ,those that make the decisions in f1 are in a total stalemate.
Max won't let the f1 commision meet to vote on anything,and anyway ferrari simply won't give their vote and so give up their advantages (100% of the teams need to agree on any new rules)

It's a good idea but won't help much in the short term (even minardi are not really struggling for money)
In the long term it's potentially a great idea and should be included in the completely re-hashed f1 rules that are desperately needed in the sport
Old 3 Mar 2005, 15:57 (Ref:1241272)   #5
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Im more in favour of either having a testing limit in terms of days or the no. of testing kilometres per-season... and the lesser teams be given an option to stay on on Monday or whatever...
Since it is testing and the teams need the time to improve their car i think they should be given an option to go to a track which best suits their needs for that particular test... if they can afford it.
Old 3 Mar 2005, 17:49 (Ref:1241369)   #6
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWC
ferrari simply won't give their vote and so give up their advantages (100% of the teams need to agree on any new rules)
Same old story RWC. Ferrari does not see this as an advantage. Their Bstones get tested much less km than the Michelins. Bring Bernie's suggestion in, together with a single tyre manufacturer rule, and we'd have something interesting...

But why test on a circuit after you have run there. On certain circuits, you might be able to learn something... but on some other's (e.g. Monaco) what would you learn that would be applicable to other GP's? And I don't think it'd be feasible to keep the street circuits open for that extra day... People have to work on Mondays, traffic has to move!

Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 3 Mar 2005 at 17:49.
Old 3 Mar 2005, 19:40 (Ref:1241521)   #7
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about having Thursday and Friday as two full 9 to 5 pm testing days? You qualify on Saturday and race on Sunday, and the rest of the weekend time for support races. The nuts (like me) that usually go to watch testing wouldn't mind skipping a day or two of work...
Old 3 Mar 2005, 19:49 (Ref:1241527)   #8
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordi
What about having Thursday and Friday as two full 9 to 5 pm testing days? You qualify on Saturday and race on Sunday, and the rest of the weekend time for support races. The nuts (like me) that usually go to watch testing wouldn't mind skipping a day or two of work...
I think that after listening to F1 engines all day on Thursday and Friday,places like Albert park and Monaco would get just a tad disinterested.
Old 3 Mar 2005, 22:52 (Ref:1241751)   #9
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Instead of being 3 days a year, it would be 4, so I don't think it'd make a big difference. And they could always exempt testing at street tracks such as Melbourne, Monaco...
Old 3 Mar 2005, 22:58 (Ref:1241756)   #10
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Having testing at the circuit BEFORE a race would make the race deadly dull, potentially.
Old 3 Mar 2005, 23:30 (Ref:1241781)   #11
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
It's not Bernies idea, Flav has been pushing this since the Benetton days.

I think limiting testing (klm that is) is almost pointless, and will slowly drive away alot of manufacturer dollars. Making it more cost effectice though is what we should be looking at.

Firstly allow Thursday and Friday full test days on race weekends (where the curcuit permits, and give them another 2 days on tracks it cant work). No engine or tyre restrictions, and any driver. All the equipment/staff is there, and the fans can see more track time, and sponsors get far more bang for the buck.

Unlimited testing preseason, then another 10 days for private testing during. This allows the big budget teams to maintain their advantage, and not manipulate a close championship.

All of the above, will only work with a single tyre.

And finally, this needs to be agreed in advance, so as not to punish team like Ferrari who have already planned a mid-season launch of a new car (and the real reason of the united rebals all agreeing at the moment).
Old 3 Mar 2005, 23:49 (Ref:1241793)   #12
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Surely one of the most important tasks in testing is to establish the most suitable compounds for the tyre companies to bring for each team to the next grand prix...too late at the grand prix!