Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 15 Oct 2006, 15:14 (Ref:1738475)   #1
demogorgon
Rookie

demogorgon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mid-Ohio ALMS/IRL joint weekend

I felt absolutely gutted by the announcement that the ALMS would be sharing a weekend with the IRL at Mid-Ohio. MidOhio is one of my favorite tracks to visit. I can honestly say I look forward to MidOhio every year more than Petit. The rolling gentle hills and facilities are wonderful. Their announcement made me feel like my vacation was being taken away. I don't want to start an IRL bashing thread. I just don't understand these actions of the ALMS.

Does anyone else have these feeling?
Old 15 Oct 2006, 15:21 (Ref:1738482)   #2
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
What is the issue you have with this?

What makes you think these are the actions of ALMS?

What do you think the opportunity is here for the ALMS?
Old 15 Oct 2006, 15:42 (Ref:1738492)   #3
demogorgon
Rookie

demogorgon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
>>What is the issue you have with this?

My issues are:
1.) cost- I am not interested in the IRL. I don't want to spend more on tickets to cover the cost of a race I would not normally watch. I don't watch the IRL on TV. If the ticket price is more than normal, I will be paying for something that I would not otherwise.
2.) Mid-Ohio has limited paddock facilities. I'm sure the IRL will use the first-rate paddock with the catwalks, relegating the ALMS teams to tents in the fields.
3.) Support races-I've been very happy with the suport races. Speet Touring and Speed GT, Formula Mazda, IMSA Lights, etc. Something will have to go.
4.) I have always enjoyed three days of ALMS running, wandering around the carsanticipating the first laps, whether in practice, qualifying or racing. there will be only two days of ALMS. I wait all winter and spring for those three days. I usually am at the track at opeing time on Friday and stay through the last event in the evening on Sunday.

>>What makes you think these are the actions of ALMS?

I'm sure the ALMS is involved,as well as Mid-Ohio and the IRL.

>>What do you think the opportunity is here for the ALMS?

There is a great opportunity for the ALMS, I will not deny that. It gives them a chance to show off their series to new fans, new sponsors. More teams involved with the IRL are also running in the ALMS (Penske, AGR and Fernandez) and it makes sense to run on the same weekend. I'm sure that it will provide many opportunities for the ALMS. But as fan of the ALMS and sports car racing, I can't see any benefits for me on that weekend, only one less day and a probable ticket price hike.
Old 15 Oct 2006, 17:13 (Ref:1738544)   #4
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by demogorgon
>>What is the issue you have with this?

My issues are:
1.) cost- I am not interested in the IRL. I don't want to spend more on tickets to cover the cost of a race I would not normally watch. I don't watch the IRL on TV. If the ticket price is more than normal, I will be paying for something that I would not otherwise.
We don't know what the costs will be. Let's not waste time on something that we have no idea if it is true yet. If the tickets come out, and are substantially higher, than we can talk.

Quote:
2.) Mid-Ohio has limited paddock facilities. I'm sure the IRL will use the first-rate paddock with the catwalks, relegating the ALMS teams to tents in the fields.
Perhaps the IRL does get better paddock space... but Mid Ohio has one of the largest paddocks now, and there will be plenty of room.

Quote:
3.) Support races-I've been very happy with the suport races. Speet Touring and Speed GT, Formula Mazda, IMSA Lights, etc. Something will have to go.
Yes, some things will have to go. Frankly, I'd rather watch IRL/CCWS than Formula Mazda/Formula BMW/IMSA Lights. I don't want to miss Speed Touring and GT though. Having said that, there are issues with Speed beyond this, so we really don't know what they are doing next year anyway.

Quote:
4.) I have always enjoyed three days of ALMS running, wandering around the carsanticipating the first laps, whether in practice, qualifying or racing. there will be only two days of ALMS. I wait all winter and spring for those three days. I usually am at the track at opeing time on Friday and stay through the last event in the evening on Sunday.
I appreciate what you are saying. I have no idea what the race schedule will be like on Sunday. We will see what support races are on Sunday, perhaps they will be worthy. I'll also add that I suggest taking in the IRL race, and seeing if you enjoy it. I've never seen an IRL race, and haven't even cared what they done until they started in at Road Courses. I think I'll watch it, and maybe I'll enjoy it... or not, but at least I'll be away, camping with a good bunch of people. That isn't a bad thing.

Quote:
>>What makes you think these are the actions of ALMS?

I'm sure the ALMS is involved,as well as Mid-Ohio and the IRL.
The ALMS was not involved in this, unfortunately forced upon them.

Quote:
>>What do you think the opportunity is here for the ALMS?

There is a great opportunity for the ALMS, I will not deny that. It gives them a chance to show off their series to new fans, new sponsors. More teams involved with the IRL are also running in the ALMS (Penske, AGR and Fernandez) and it makes sense to run on the same weekend. I'm sure that it will provide many opportunities for the ALMS. But as fan of the ALMS and sports car racing, I can't see any benefits for me on that weekend, only one less day and a probable ticket price hike.
Like I said, watch the race with an open mind, and see if you like it. The ALMS does have an excellent opportunity here... if they utilize it.
Old 15 Oct 2006, 17:26 (Ref:1738552)   #5
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
To be honest I think the attitudes of many ALMS fans towards these joint events are rather pathetic and show a complete lack of faith in the quality of the series.
Old 15 Oct 2006, 17:33 (Ref:1738561)   #6
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Personally Im not too bothered that the IRL will be co headlining the weekend with the ALMS, it should boost the overall attendance. Still, that said I would have much preffered the CCWS to be co headlining the weekend with the ALMS than the IRL.

Oh, and welcome to ten-tenths demogoron.