Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Sep 2004, 12:36 (Ref:1099250)   #51
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Already the rumours on new buyers start:
Quote:
From BBC Sport Online
Reports suggest Tony Purnell, head of Ford's premier performance division, is putting together a bid to buy Jaguar's Formula One operation.
Strange decision if it's true...

Last edited by Asp; 17 Sep 2004 at 12:40.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 12:45 (Ref:1099260)   #52
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I can't understand Purnell wanting to bid for Jaguar, if a global brand like Ford with all their buying power and 'leverage' can't entice major sponsors/partners or investors - you have to say it's a very tough task.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 12:50 (Ref:1099269)   #53
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
But didn't Jag/Ford only want sponsors with a certain type of youth/sporting image? maybe Tony has a few ideas/companies up his sleeve that where interested in sponsorship but got knocked back.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 12:51 (Ref:1099270)   #54
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Damn, looks like Wirdheim's best shot at a race-seat - and a 3rd driver seat for that matter - just went out the window
Old 17 Sep 2004, 12:55 (Ref:1099275)   #55
Matti Alamaki
Racer

Matti Alamaki should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very sad indeed for all the hard workers on the shop floor. Is Jordan guaranteed Toyota engines for next year??? If not F1 could lose Minardi & Jordan. Une Catastrophe...

F1 can't continue like this, FIA are to blame in my view, pussy footing around about rules, no firm decisions. The sport needs a massive shake up. Prost and Arrows should have been the warning shots but, nobody seemed too bothered.

No wonder EJ has been crying out for help over the past couple of weeks.

I guess that make Irvine the most successful Jaguar driver to date.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 12:57 (Ref:1099279)   #56
mattmarvell
Rookie

mattmarvell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Super Tourer
I can't understand Purnell wanting to bid for Jaguar, if a global brand like Ford with all their buying power and 'leverage' can't entice major sponsors/partners or investors - you have to say it's a very tough task.
How much of this is because it wouldn't be right to run a race team after making so many people redundant,

You can't be seen doing something as wasteful as motor sport when you are axing jobs

If Purnell can get the backing and the team for the right price I’m sure it could be worth doing ...

And maybe the very fact that ford is so big and the left hand not knowing what the right is doing could be part of the problem.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 13:01 (Ref:1099282)   #57
mp356a
Veteran

United States
SE PA USA
mp356a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mopar
Not sure off the effects of the move, as cosworth might continue to supply engines to minardi a la supertec and mechacrome in the late 90s Jordan (if the rumours are true will run toyotas. I think the biggest effect (obviously second to jaguar pulling out of f1) is the probable end of CART as cosworth would rather invest in the global market of f1 than solely in america through the flaging CART series
Says who? FORD recently announced that they are delighted with theie Champ Car involvement. They are getting a much bigger bang for their buck in that series.

Mike
Old 17 Sep 2004, 13:22 (Ref:1099302)   #58
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
To those of you associated with the team, best of luck, and for your sake (and ours), I hope that someone buys the team, and runs it a little better.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 13:32 (Ref:1099320)   #59
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns13518.html

GM to buy Cosworth Racing?
Old 17 Sep 2004, 13:39 (Ref:1099329)   #60
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
touringcarnut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As i always say, the manufacturers will lose interest someday..
Old 17 Sep 2004, 13:44 (Ref:1099334)   #61
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So, as it stands right now, Jordan and Minardi are without engines. Dreadful. Champ Car should be relatively OK for next year because Cosworth aren't developing those turbo engines at all. All they're doing is maintenance and that can be dealt with a lot easier than can the kind of work the F1 V10s need. Same for the IRL stuff. I'm surprised, though, because last we'd heard was that Cosworth themselves were profitable.

As for 3 cars - disaster. The rules supposedly say that only 2 cars can score points; otherwise it'd be unfair to the teams that can't run 3. Naturally, not all the teams can afford to run 3 cars. Heck, Sauber can't even run a third car on Fridays! Can you imagine it? Ferrari finish 1-2-3 but only 2 of them can score points? Which 2? Who gets on the podium? That's an embarrassing mess the sport doesn't need.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 13:45 (Ref:1099335)   #62
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by touringcarnut
I'm not sure, in Ford's case, it is a case of losing interest. They had to, they can't justify the spend anymore. Closing factories and all that.

However I have often said that they didn't have the interest in the first place. Although by that I mean they had mis-placed interest. Why with Jaguar, it didn't fit. Why a team and not just engines? etc...

Now it is gone and, frankly, I could care less about Jaguar in F1. Actually I actively didn't want it.

However, I feel for those who work there. Their future is uncertain. Maybe someone will take the team over and give it direction - something it could never have if it was Jaguar Racing IMHO. With a slice of luck it'll turn into something better.

Last edited by Adam43; 17 Sep 2004 at 13:45.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 13:50 (Ref:1099341)   #63
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by touringcarnut
Of course we've been through a Manufacturers Golden Age in F1, for good or bad. As you've stated, those that don't benefit from F1 marketing would leave. How F1 finds ways to allow the true privateers to compete will define its future. If Arrows et al weren't enough warning, this certainly should be.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 13:52 (Ref:1099344)   #64
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The rule that only 2 cars can score points owuld have to be changed, presumably to allow all 3 to score drivers' points but only the top 2 in the Constructors.

I think as soon as Jac Nasser left Ford, the writing was on the wall. He was the most passionate supporter of F1 as a marketing tool, and of Jaguar as a brand. Supplying only the engines would've made more sense for a company of Ford's size and lack of stability, that's certainly now apparent.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 13:55 (Ref:1099346)   #65
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The reason why they left is simple, I think. Jaguar (and Ford) are losing money. When this is the case it is difficult to justify an F1 team?
Old 17 Sep 2004, 14:11 (Ref:1099365)   #66
muzza4ever
Racer

England
Grim up North, UK
muzza4ever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
other than being a sad day for F1 - fewer teams could easily be bad news, I hope people like AutosportFan and all others involved at jaguar, Ford and Cosworth either are kept on in any buyout or successfully find another job.

You guys all do a great job no matter the size of the team and I;d hate to think of anyone losing their jobs.

With regards to teams without an engine maybe those teams that put forward the supply engines or be penalised idea could be cursing now as they'll be supplying engines rather than paying a relatively small fine of $3 million, if their proposal is accepted of course.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 14:18 (Ref:1099372)   #67
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Could this be the entry into Formula 1 Red Bull have been looking for???
Old 17 Sep 2004, 14:18 (Ref:1099373)   #68
speedbump
Racer

Canada
Toronto
speedbump should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This morning I read on YAHOO that FORD raised it's outlook for corporate earnings by raising its third quarter and full year forecasts.

I guess FORD have taken in account dumping it's F1 Team.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 14:21 (Ref:1099375)   #69
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We cannot really be that surprised; Ford had already made a step outwards when reached out for a pay driver.

Actualy dspending money without results is a hard job, although we are not here in front of an investment selection, cos they seem moving outta here with no exception.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 14:22 (Ref:1099377)   #70
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
Could this be the entry into Formula 1 Red Bull have been looking for???
Could well be, especially as Liuzzi now can't land a ride at Sauber!?
Old 17 Sep 2004, 14:36 (Ref:1099383)   #71
Matt_S
Racer

England
Matt_S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From Crash.net:

Minardi boss Paul Stoddart remains confident that his team will be able to reach an agreement over its engine supplies for next season, despite today's announcement.

“Minardi has enjoyed a long and mutually beneficial relationship with Cosworth Racing over the years, and in light of today's announcement, we will be working closely with Cosworth representatives to find a workable solution regarding engine supply arrangements for next season,” he said. “We are confident of being able to arrive at a suitable arrangement.”

“On a personal note, all of us at Minardi have been saddened by today's news, but fully understand the economic realities involved in competing in this sport as it is currently structured. Our best wishes go out to all the staff involved, many of whom are personal friends as well as work colleagues.”
Old 17 Sep 2004, 14:37 (Ref:1099384)   #72
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very sad that this has happened, however witht he smaller budget and the change of team personel every year, how can they expect to move up the Grid.

Ferrari, BAR, Reanult have shown what building a team, giving it time to grow together and sicking with it can do.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 14:47 (Ref:1099396)   #73
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honestly i can't say i'm the slightest bit surprised by this!
We all thought they might eventually but as soon as the one really good thing they had (a rocket driver) left it was inevitable....
Old 17 Sep 2004, 15:00 (Ref:1099414)   #74
RaceFreak
Racer

RaceFreak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This has been coming for some time. In previous seasons the 'results or else...' threat from Ford was averted at the last minute by the odd podium or pole. But no LASTING progress and a weak economy finally took it's toll. All the manufacturers have have been screaming to deaf ears for the past 3 years. The FIA and F1Administration have been in some kind of denial, oblivious to what has been happening in CART and the IRL. Bernie was too busy accumulating personal wealth to address the difficult underlying problems which may now cause a house-of-cards effect on several other teams. Simply put, it's just too much money for a sport(?) dominated by two teams over the last 5 years. Make it cheaper and more competitive, or perish. Wake up Bernie !
Old 17 Sep 2004, 15:12 (Ref:1099430)   #75
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_S, quoting Paul Stoddart

“On a personal note, all of us at Minardi have been saddened by today's news, but fully understand the economic realities involved in competing in this sport as it is currently structured. Our best wishes go out to all the staff involved, many of whom are personal friends as well as work colleagues.”
Nice touch, and a sentiment I'm sure we'll all echo. Maybe some will join Minardi's team?

The main impact of this, in general, is to reinforce the fact that low costs are required, and private teams need much more support to be kept active (and encouraged to enter). A few manufacturers filling the grid would be dangerous.