Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 29 Mar 2024, 10:53 (Ref:4203267)   #2601
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
Interesting to note on Jake Hills latest youtube video what appears to be the 4th BMW was sat bare of sponsors except for the BMW M colours.
Is that a huge surprise? WSR said they were taking all 4 cars to be tested.

If you look closely you may have also spotted that the WSR transporter is still in 2023 colours with Stephen Jelley's sponsors displayed.
Old 29 Mar 2024, 13:15 (Ref:4203286)   #2602
Daverb
Rookie

Daverb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroftPilgrim View Post
Agreed. The quality on the grid is the highest it has been for some time.
I don’t agree with this.

Driver wise it looks great although it’s a shame we have lost a lot of drivers and some who want a drive can’t get one.

Team wise it’s poor. Good teams, poor numbers.

It doesn’t have anything to do with negative outlooks it’s just facts.
Old 29 Mar 2024, 13:18 (Ref:4203287)   #2603
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
Huff is another passed his prime driver

don't expect much from him , maybe the occasional podium
Lol, he was literally fighting for the world title a handful of months ago.
Old 29 Mar 2024, 13:19 (Ref:4203288)   #2604
BobJones
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daverb View Post
I don’t agree with this.

Driver wise it looks great although it’s a shame we have lost a lot of drivers and some who want a drive can’t get one.

Your response is hypocritical of itself - try again.
Old 29 Mar 2024, 13:22 (Ref:4203292)   #2605
BobJones
Veteran

Notice how, in the Huff launch, the Corolla is updated to match the (albeit very light) facelift for the road car - notable by the extra red in the tail lights - and the front bumper (and intakes) have a new design.
Old 29 Mar 2024, 13:27 (Ref:4203294)   #2606
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Thousands of drivers want a spot on the grid. But so far it looks like only 21, maybe 22 will actually be able to pay for one. It's not a lack of teams that is causing the smaller grid, that's getting the causality the wrong way round.

If you look at the drivers from 2023 that are so far missing in 2024, they're not really much of a loss. Should hopefully be fewer red flags in qualifying and safety cars in races this year.

17/30 (57%) of races were extended by safety car and/or curtailled by accidents last year. Pretty poor standard really. Usually the culprits were in the lower half of the field.
Old 29 Mar 2024, 13:37 (Ref:4203297)   #2607
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I don’t agree with this.

Please explain ? Poor Teams? WSR, Alliance, Gazoo, PMR?
Old 29 Mar 2024, 13:45 (Ref:4203299)   #2608
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
Lol, he was literally fighting for the world title a handful of months ago.
And the WTCR Trophy champion in 2022.
Old 29 Mar 2024, 14:33 (Ref:4203304)   #2609
Pit Lane Lurker
Rookie

Pit Lane Lurker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I don’t agree with this.

Some who want a drive can’t get one?

There’s a drive there for anyone who wants one. If anyone ‘can’t’ get a drive, it’s due to their own circumstances and budget.
Old 29 Mar 2024, 15:26 (Ref:4203311)   #2610
SSmith
Veteran

SSmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having watched the CTCRC Pre-'66 race from Donington today, we are definitely in for a treat at Croft when they support the BTCC. Their racing on the BARC package has always been good, and today saw a competitive entry and some decent quality racing.

Sadly, the Super Touring category (occasionally suggested as a support for the BTCC) is struggling for entries, a far cry from the strong grid that supported the BTCC at Oulton Park in 2014. Only seven entries (5 Super Tourers & 2 BTC-T cars), with 5 taking the start, and only one finishing, with a few expensive repair bills seemingly on the way.

Last edited by SSmith; 29 Mar 2024 at 15:52. Reason: Length + slightly off-topic
Old 29 Mar 2024, 15:46 (Ref:4203314)   #2611
coffinpilot
Racer

coffinpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The pre-66 series is a hell of an entertaining championship, as is the HSCC category for the same cars.
Really looking forward to them at Croft, when the HSCC comes it's usually with a smaller average grid thanks to their Croft meeting always (apart from this year) being a week after the Silverstone Classic/Festival.
Turn 2 and Sunny Out are the places to be - the best action you'll see all weekend!!
Old 29 Mar 2024, 18:24 (Ref:4203328)   #2612
ACF_
Racer

ACF_ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hen henths View Post
Very much agreed. I also love RWD and it's great seeing the differences in handling. I particularly enjoyed seeing Sutton handling the Subaru in the wet and also one race (can't remember if it was the Infiniti or Subaru) where he was knocked into a slide so he immediately span the car a full 360 degrees and was able to continue!
I remember that. I'm sure it was the Infinity, in 2021 I think, if we're thinking of the same thing. Can't remember which track though
Old 29 Mar 2024, 19:01 (Ref:4203333)   #2613
hen henths
Racer

hen henths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm excited for this season though it will be strange if we have no Honda Civics on the grid and I hope some of the missing drivers will be back in the future. Will be interesting to see how Huff gets on. I expect he'll get somewhere near the front but for the championship I'll be amazed if it's not our regulars.

I think they got the right idea putting it on TikTok. Hopefully that will bring better sponsorship in the longer term. But does this mean kids will be trying to watch the racing in portrait mode???
Old 29 Mar 2024, 19:07 (Ref:4203334)   #2614
hen henths
Racer

hen henths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACF_ View Post
I remember that. I'm sure it was the Infinity, in 2021 I think, if we're thinking of the same thing. Can't remember which track though
That sounds right. I might rewatch some of that season.
Old 29 Mar 2024, 19:28 (Ref:4203339)   #2615
ACF_
Racer

Quote:
That sounds right. I might rewatch some of that season.
I've just found a clip of it. Race 3 Oulton Park 2021. Here's a link (hopefully it works )

https://youtu.be/tFOlQMPz-uM?feature=shared
Old 29 Mar 2024, 19:31 (Ref:4203340)   #2616
SV8Predator
Racer

SV8Predator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I particularly enjoyed seeing Sutton handling the Subaru in the wet and also one race (can't remember if it was the Infiniti or Subaru) where he was knocked into a slide so he immediately span the car a full 360 degrees and was able to continue!
Great!
Old 29 Mar 2024, 19:52 (Ref:4203342)   #2617
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I've just found a clip of it. Race 3 Oulton Park 2021. Here's a link (hopefully it works )

https://youtu.be/tFOlQMPz-uM?feature=shared

Sadly though it ended his race, so his spectacular save wasn’t rewarded
Old 29 Mar 2024, 19:58 (Ref:4203346)   #2618
coffinpilot
Racer

coffinpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dan Zelos making an announcement at 8am on Wednesday before the first 'official' BTCC test. Could there be a link there.

Any teams not testing on Tues who will turn up on Weds (if at all.....)
I know HARD is still to be believed (depending on the ownership structure) but if someone (let's say Zelos) had the budget to run the year, would you not say to them I'll pay on a race-by-race basis just in case it goes south?
Old 29 Mar 2024, 20:30 (Ref:4203350)   #2619
ACF_
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffinpilot View Post
Dan Zelos making an announcement at 8am on Wednesday before the first 'official' BTCC test. Could there be a link there.

I know HARD is still to be believed (depending on the ownership structure) but if someone (let's say Zelos) had the budget to run the year, would you not say to them I'll pay on a race-by-race basis just in case it goes south?
Zelos is/was with Excelr8 in JCW. Could we see another hyundai on the grid? Or maybe an Excelr8/Team Dynamics Civic? Just a thought
Old 29 Mar 2024, 20:55 (Ref:4203353)   #2620
Pickles
Veteran

Pickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Zelos is/was with Excelr8 in JCW. Could we see another hyundai on the grid? Or maybe an Excelr8/Team Dynamics Civic? Just a thought
Excelr8 bought one of the HARD Cupras for all the NGTC bits before returning the shell so unless they're stockpiling spares then another Hyundai could be on the cards. You'd hope that someone of Zelos' experience in the TOCA paddock wouldn't be suckered in to Gilham's empty promises and if he was making the jump into BTCC it would be with a team where he has a half decent chance of a good showing.
Old 29 Mar 2024, 20:59 (Ref:4203354)   #2621
SSmith
Veteran

SSmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffinpilot View Post

Hopefully that turns out to be the case.

Alternatively, the timing could be a coincidence and he's staying put in JCW, filling one of the vacant TCR UK seats (e.g., the Pro Alloys Lynk & Co), joining the ever-growing Pro-class of Porsche Carrera Cup GB, or Porsche Sprint Challenge GB.
Old 29 Mar 2024, 21:57 (Ref:4203355)   #2622
ACF_
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
Excelr8 bought one of the HARD Cupras for all the NGTC bits before returning the shell so unless they're stockpiling spares then another Hyundai could be on the cards. You'd hope that someone of Zelos' experience in the TOCA paddock wouldn't be suckered in to Gilham's empty promises and if he was making the jump into BTCC it would be with a team where he has a half decent chance of a good showing.
Exactly what I was thinking
Old 29 Mar 2024, 22:35 (Ref:4203359)   #2623
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Having Dan Z on the grid would be excellent, he’s worthy of a place
Old 29 Mar 2024, 22:58 (Ref:4203361)   #2624
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Is that a huge surprise? WSR said they were taking all 4 cars to be tested.

If you look closely you may have also spotted that the WSR transporter is still in 2023 colours with Stephen Jelley's sponsors displayed.

Well spotted.

I was expecting the 4th BMW to be in plain colours.
Old 29 Mar 2024, 22:58 (Ref:4203362)   #2625
MarcusH26
Racer

MarcusH26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Zelos in a " satellite" Excler8 entry backed by Davanti would be interesting. Is there a spare i30 shell around that's not the crashed Lloyd car to make this feasible?