Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 15 Feb 2011, 21:26 (Ref:2831826)   #676
ff s conscience
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
ff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver 3 View Post
I am a bit late to your party guys-- couple of observations for all--I know both these guys (SS & FF) quite well --they are both real genuine enthusiasts and love motorsport with a passion and are both good people. So dont take there words here as being to aggro to each other.Only thing I can think of as worse is having to share garage space with either of them !!!( neither of you need to comment thx!!!)
Re Kingsley Vs Simonsen
I think Matt does a great job at the wheel-- see my comments written some time ago about him-- definately worth watching. At this stage of his driving he is not in the same class as Alan. Across a great variety of cars Alan is a proven Pro who shows great speed whenever and whatever he drives. He also has another characteristic with his driving that is always there--- he rarely crashes -- and is always fast. I think most of us watched a great Australian race driver(the greatest?at least with a roof over fhis head) who seemed to have an uncanny ablity to almost never crash-even early in his career. I grew up admiring that characteristic and respecting that in race drivers.
Alan has that characteristic and it will be one of the reasons he gets paid to drive for many teams all around the world.In reality-- in any capable car-- Alan will be fast and close to its potential.If we were trying to compare-- a Craig Baird would be closer to my thinking .At this stage of Matts development it is probably necessary for him to develop the keeping the car in one piece syndrome if he wants to keep getting invitations to drive that can help him realise his potential.
Regardless-- I thought he did a great job in this race and the whole team deserves high praise and congratulation on a terrific result.
Allan will hate this (and it might upset sheepy's opinion too), but Baird has pipped some of Allans times in same/similar cars. But Bairdo is quite a bit older.

I'd put Steve owen and Allan on a level.

Steve is right up there, and it's bizarre it's taken people so long to get it.

The fact that Kingers and Allan can even be mentioned as possibly comparable, is huge praise to kingers, but he needs to be patient a while yet.....

Last edited by ff s conscience; 15 Feb 2011 at 21:32.
Old 15 Feb 2011, 22:35 (Ref:2831867)   #677
Sheep Stations
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Sheep Stations should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Granted, no comparison in the two drivers resumes, just recognition of the fact that in the wet, Kingsley has a very deft touch...and despite FFC's protestations, Kingsley was considerably faster in those conditions, for whatever reasons/excuses than Simonsen.

No complaints from me in rating Bairdo, he's the best sports car driver in this country/bar none.

The Koundouris bros. took a lot less time than others in rating Steve Owen, he is their first pick everytime.
Old 15 Feb 2011, 22:43 (Ref:2831870)   #678
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Lets see if the race looks good, tells a good story, on the teev!
Note that the highlights package starts at 7pm not 7.30 as mentioned in all press releases.
Old 16 Feb 2011, 02:25 (Ref:2831925)   #679
EfiOz
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
EfiOz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff s conscience View Post
As the oldest and slowest car in our class, we still had to de-tune it to be elligible.
It sounds even worse when you put it like that!
Old 16 Feb 2011, 03:16 (Ref:2831941)   #680
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
Note that the highlights package starts at 7pm not 7.30 as mentioned in all press releases.
And unfortunately it's only being televised in high definition so it can't be recorded unless you have a high defintion recorder.
Old 16 Feb 2011, 03:43 (Ref:2831944)   #681
A-A
Rookie

A-A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
And unfortunately it's only being televised in high definition so it can't be recorded unless you have a high defintion recorder.
Isn't Channel 12 a SD version of Onehd???
Old 16 Feb 2011, 05:03 (Ref:2831955)   #682
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-A View Post
Isn't Channel 12 a SD version of Onehd???
Not any more......the idiots at Ch10 changed it, #1 & #11 are both HD showing the same shows (why would you have 2 channels showing the same?) and #12 now has junk TV........so everyone with standard defintion recorders either watches as programmed or misses out!!!

......and the other thing is that I can't see any improvement in picture quality when I watch HD.

Last edited by bluesport; 16 Feb 2011 at 05:28.
Old 16 Feb 2011, 07:30 (Ref:2831969)   #683
ff s conscience
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
ff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheep Stations View Post
Granted, no comparison in the two drivers resumes, just recognition of the fact that in the wet, Kingsley has a very deft touch...and despite FFC's protestations, Kingsley was considerably faster in those conditions, for whatever reasons/excuses than Simonsen.

No complaints from me in rating Bairdo, he's the best sports car driver in this country/bar none.

The Koundouris bros. took a lot less time than others in rating Steve Owen, he is their first pick everytime.
I'm gunna have to pull you up AGAIN... you just don't get it... they didn't drive under comparable conditions of wet/on slicks.... the few laps it maybe happened, the car was in trouble... the rest of the time you THINK it happened, it wasn't Allan in the car. And Luke was faster than kingers in the dry BTW... now THAT was impressive.....

Bairdo is right up there.... but he's a kiwi, Jum is up there too... again a kiwi... Allan is with them... a Dane.....

so the question posed is, WHO is the best AUSTRALIAN Touring/GT car driver?

Is it Bowe? Is it Steve owen? Maybe Lowndes?

And yes, Steve blipped on my/our radar a while ago too.... top bloke.

Another gun for hire is Neil McFadyn BTW.... why he's been passed by beats me.
Old 16 Feb 2011, 08:04 (Ref:2831979)   #684
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
BMW 130 for next year
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 16 Feb 2011, 08:33 (Ref:2831989)   #685
ff s conscience
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by EfiOz View Post
It sounds even worse when you put it like that!
fact is stranger than fiction in so many ways, and never so often as when it comes to parity!
Old 16 Feb 2011, 10:34 (Ref:2832033)   #686
Spiller
Rookie

Australia
Geelong
Spiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'm gunna have to pull you up AGAIN... you just don't get it... they didn't drive under comparable conditions of wet/on slicks.... the few laps it maybe happened, the car was in trouble... the rest of the time you THINK it happened, it wasn't Allan in the car. And Luke was faster than kingers in the dry BTW... now THAT was impressive.....

Bairdo is right up there.... but he's a kiwi, Jum is up there too... again a kiwi... Allan is with them... a Dane.....

so the question posed is, WHO is the best AUSTRALIAN Touring/GT car driver?

Is it Bowe? Is it Steve owen? Maybe Lowndes?

And yes, Steve blipped on my/our radar a while ago too.... top bloke.

Another gun for hire is Neil McFadyn BTW.... why he's been passed by beats me.
And it had started to get civil...

Great to see the passion you guys have for your respective cars and brands. Keep up the banter, no way to get a better insight than watch people defend and attack each other in text. lol.

The driver debate is a good one too. No offence Kingers, but Simonsen is a long way up there in terms of talent. No doubt you can drive well too, but someone who gets as much seat time as him is always going to be a step ahead and watching him at PI in Ted's Ferrari in the wet, he proved how much talent he has.

Although not sports cars, Steve O drove with us in Comm Cup and his skills were well and truly clear. We had a few issues with the motor and he still set the fatest lap in every session he was in the car, against some pretty handy blokes too. His attitude was second to none as well, all too willing to do whatever was requested of him. I wouldn't doubt the other guys would be much the same though, so I guess that helps very little.
Old 16 Feb 2011, 11:24 (Ref:2832053)   #687
deano2
Racer

deano2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Allan will hate this (and it might upset sheepy's opinion too), but Baird has pipped some of Allans times in same/similar cars. But Bairdo is quite a bit older.

I'd put Steve owen and Allan on a level.

Steve is right up there, and it's bizarre it's taken people so long to get it.

The fact that Kingers and Allan can even be mentioned as possibly comparable, is huge praise to kingers, but he needs to be patient a while yet.....
Sorry ff but you are incorrect ....bairdo is not old...he is only 21...just ask him
Old 16 Feb 2011, 12:12 (Ref:2832072)   #688
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And in other news, I'm currently uploading the remainder of the 12 Hour Support races (Vees, HQ, GpN) and B12 Practice images... should be done in an hour or so

http://www.speedshots.com.au/gallery...bimf/2011_b12/
Old 16 Feb 2011, 12:24 (Ref:2832076)   #689
ff s conscience
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by deano2 View Post
Sorry ff but you are incorrect ....bairdo is not old...he is only 21...just ask him
you could be right.

I remember watching him tip Mansell into the bridge at Donnington in the BTCC WAYYYYYY back...

I think he was 11 at the time

quick google found this... not great video, but you can see Bairdo appear at the last minute and finish what mansell started....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNAUQaJuw34

Last edited by ff s conscience; 16 Feb 2011 at 12:32.
Old 16 Feb 2011, 13:34 (Ref:2832113)   #690
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I remember watching him tip Mansell into the bridge at Donnington in the BTCC WAYYYYYY back...
That was Tiff Needell who was roundly blamed at the time for putting 'Our Nige' off. Ironically, I think it's the only accident Tiff ever had that wasn't his fault...
Old 16 Feb 2011, 21:07 (Ref:2832341)   #691
Sheep Stations
Veteran

Australia
Australia
I wonder sometimes if maybe I write cryptically or something. No where do I say Kingsley is a better driver or the coming messiah...but during that wet/drying session he managed to carve up one of the best in the business and I made merry hell of it at my old mate FFC's expense...and he still can't accept it.

Hopefully the exchange makes the television package and it will all be shown in living colour, because I'm too lazy to go back through the data.
Old 16 Feb 2011, 23:03 (Ref:2832416)   #692
deano2
Racer

Quote:
I wonder sometimes if maybe I write cryptically or something. No where do I say Kingsley is a better driver or the coming messiah...but during that wet/drying session he managed to carve up one of the best in the business and I made merry hell of it at my old mate FFC's expense...and he still can't accept it.

Hopefully the exchange makes the television package and it will all be shown in living colour, because I'm too lazy to go back through the data.
so if bairdo,owen and simonsen are the best pro sportscar drivers is kingsley the best amateur....would a baird/k.quin,simonsen/kingsley,or owen/kondouris be the best combination for a pro/amateur enduro ????
Old 16 Feb 2011, 23:20 (Ref:2832426)   #693
Sheep Stations
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Baird/Kingsley...'cause they can both drive in the wet
Old 17 Feb 2011, 00:13 (Ref:2832441)   #694
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
Silver 3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deano2 View Post
so if bairdo,owen and simonsen are the best pro sportscar drivers is kingsley the best amateur....would a baird/k.quin,simonsen/kingsley,or owen/kondouris be the best combination for a pro/amateur enduro ????
There are some very ,very good " amateurs out there.Guys who I am certain would make it to the top if they have the opportunity and exposure.
I rate good as guys that do not destroy cars!! -- have sheer speed and know how to "race". Finishing races and race meetings with largely intact car rates very highly to me-- that is what will impress owners that have the ability to give guys a chance.
I am not knocking or needling anyone specific on that point( for the record).
The guys I have in mind both have proven record of racing.speed,consistency and keep the car in one piece--- and know how to win.Both would definately qualify as amateur -- and the record shows faster than some of the aforementioned.I have one other I rate extremely highly-- a short,fat bloke who can drive!!!
Without seeking to get too much into the merits of GT management decisions( read my comments on the record elsewhere) -- conceptually I love the idea of the GT Sportscars & the 12 hour.If some of the management decisions open the way to showcase "unknown" talents, I actually think that is a good idea--in principle.
Too often in the past and present we see the recycled getting the opportunity-- if anyone is reading this that needs a couple of young guys-- I will bet money that these guys will embarrass some "big" names--in any sort of car-- including V8 Supercar.
Old 17 Feb 2011, 00:52 (Ref:2832449)   #695
Sheep Stations
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Silver, if by unknowns you include Kane Rose?...then I couldn't agree with you more.

And that short fat bloke can definitely go as well.
Old 17 Feb 2011, 01:47 (Ref:2832461)   #696
deano2
Racer

Quote:
Silver, if by unknowns you include Kane Rose?...then I couldn't agree with you more.

i forgot what about lowndes/eddy???.....
Old 17 Feb 2011, 01:50 (Ref:2832462)   #697
deano2
Racer

Quote:
Baird/Kingsley...'cause they can both drive in the wet
so can the others especially simonsen...and you do need to be able to be quick in the dry as well which brings me to reynolds???
Old 17 Feb 2011, 08:08 (Ref:2832513)   #698
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
Silver 3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Yeah -it was specifically about Kane & Brent Rose -- anyone reading this that knows how to help themselves-- give these guys the wheel--I am 100% certain on these guys. They would be up to speed quickly and only the elite level of V8 Supercar drivers would I rate higher(this stage). Most of the 2nd V8 series drivers would not see which way they went.Equally--if you look at Carrera Cup these are the type of emerging driver that series needs to give it credibility.Porsche could do well to at least test these guys and see what was possible.I rate then so high that they would get race wins in year one! Porsche ought to look at some sort of opportunity drive for guys like this.
FWIW I have watched and raced against many of the names mentioned in this thread -- and many of Australia big names-- in Karts & cars -- watched many of them closely in FF and followed them long before they were known to the wider motorsport community --so my opinion,praise & respect is not given easily and lightly.
My other reference to a terrific driver is Bill Pye -- who is excellent in many different types of cars-- and a great guy to trust your car to.Definately superior to most of the GT owner drivers( with all due respect to those putting their hands in their pockets).
Old 17 Feb 2011, 10:07 (Ref:2832571)   #699
Sheep Stations
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver 3 View Post
Yeah -it was specifically about Kane & Brent Rose -- anyone reading this that knows how to help themselves-- give these guys the wheel--I am 100% certain on these guys. They would be up to speed quickly and only the elite level of V8 Supercar drivers would I rate higher(this stage). Most of the 2nd V8 series drivers would not see which way they went.Equally--if you look at Carrera Cup these are the type of emerging driver that series needs to give it credibility.Porsche could do well to at least test these guys and see what was possible.I rate then so high that they would get race wins in year one! Porsche ought to look at some sort of opportunity drive for guys like this.
FWIW I have watched and raced against many of the names mentioned in this thread -- and many of Australia big names-- in Karts & cars -- watched many of them closely in FF and followed them long before they were known to the wider motorsport community --so my opinion,praise & respect is not given easily and lightly.
My other reference to a terrific driver is Bill Pye -- who is excellent in many different types of cars-- and a great guy to trust your car to.Definately superior to most of the GT owner drivers( with all due respect to those putting their hands in their pockets).
It's a tough and unfair world Silver. Porsche build cars for customers to go racing...someone else would need to be the benefactor if we're to see how Kane Rose, or a lot of young talented drivers would go in CC.
Old 17 Feb 2011, 21:21 (Ref:2832972)   #700
ff s conscience
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:

yes, lets hope it does....

I've told you what happened (sick car when Allan was driving and then not Allan driving etc), and the TV will confirm it if they show it.

You're not lazy, you're scared of proving yourself wrong. But don't be, it's only you that'll be learning anything they don't already know.