Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 20 Jul 2011, 08:43 (Ref:2928857)   #1
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paul Morris - Officials & 2012

Pual,

is at it again, dribbling garbage to glorify how pathetic he is. Maybe Dad should pull the money, and CAMS cancel the agrrement with him.

From what I gather, our american friends have followed V8 Supercars for a good number of years and know what exactly happens. Pity Authoritie s out here are **** scared to supspend this loser , when he advocates drivers deliberatley hitting opponents.

Paul your as think as two short planks. GO back to running the markets

http://www.speedcafe.com/2011/07/20/...s-officialdom/
Old 20 Jul 2011, 08:48 (Ref:2928861)   #2
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
fomoco, im on the record for not being a fan of morris.

but there is a part of me who agrees with his comments about american fans, heck the australian fans dont even understand some of the decisions that are made, because there is a lack of constency. and a lack of the punishment not fitting the crime also.

We really need to clean this up as it makes our series look amateur

and he is right drivers must be allowed to race
Old 20 Jul 2011, 08:51 (Ref:2928863)   #3
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Couldn't have said it better myself. The bloke is an A grade clown.
I've never seen his father, but you have to wonder how smart he is, to keep on financing his idiot sons racing organization.
Old 20 Jul 2011, 09:41 (Ref:2928879)   #4
Rally Merc
Rookie

Rally Merc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with what he says. V8 "racing" is quite pathetic these days, everyone dribbling around on tippy toes not wanting to defend their line in case a bit of paint might be exchanged and then coming under the wrath of the stewards with thousands of dollars of fines.
Pull your heads out and watch some BTCC and see some real racing. They know how to defend them selves while not leaving them selves open to getting turned around or to 'accidently' punting someone off who is in their way.
Mark Weber is right. Australia is very much in a nanna state
Old 20 Jul 2011, 10:54 (Ref:2928910)   #5
kramer
Racer

kramer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche91722 View Post
Couldn't have said it better myself. The bloke is an A grade clown.
I've never seen his father, but you have to wonder how smart he is, to keep on financing his idiot sons racing organization.
I wonder if Dad isn't happy to keep funding the racing, just to keep Paul away from the (much larger) family businesses.

Kramer
Old 20 Jul 2011, 11:31 (Ref:2928927)   #6
Micklegend
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
Micklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMicklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps Morris has all the money in the world to keep repairing wrecks, but there is a point, given you see at times some of the drivers being gentlemen and stepping out of the way of faster cars. All it takes these days is for a Whincup, Lowndes etc. to stcik a car down the inside of someone and racing room is left wide open.
If a few drivers were allowed to block a bit more, this would really force a pass and we could see where it is clear that someone has been punted.
Drivers should try to take risks at times for the reward of a place, instead of playing follow the leader for fear of a drive through.
The flipside is good clean racing like we saw with Bright and Courtney earlier in the year, not like Morris in Perth, that was just pathetic. His pass on Jane in Townsville was also mistimed.
Leaving it to drivers to sort out may be ok when you have 5 spare cars in the shed like Nascar, but not quite simple for our V8s.
Id say leave the drive throughs alone and penalise on points after a race instead.
Adopting the Nascar point system but using larger penalties for accidents may see better racing and not result in some guys having to run from the back to pick up points after a drive through, as some have said, the punishment does not always fit the crime.
Old 20 Jul 2011, 16:17 (Ref:2929050)   #7
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally Merc View Post
watch some BTCC and see some real racing.
You're kidding - may as well go to the fairground and watch the dodgems. Best racing tends to happen in Caterhams because you can still hurt yourself in those. As a result they tend to give each other just enough room which means you get lots of overtaking, overtaking back and fair defending of places and very little whinging. The best racing is usually in classes where it's in both drivers' best interests to avoid contact.
Old 20 Jul 2011, 17:17 (Ref:2929073)   #8
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
The debate Morris is starting is a good debate. He's right as far as this: there is a tyranny of stewards in modern motorsports.

He's wrong though that 'revenge attacks', 'have-at it' and any malicious bangs to knock a car sideways are somehow appropriate. That's a proper area that stewards should rule in and stamp out.

They should rule against revenge attacks in NASCAR too. That comes up into that series from their dirt track scene and should be kicked right back out again. Also I think V8's are more thoroughbred and intricate than a NASCAR and a different proposition to repair.
Old 20 Jul 2011, 22:54 (Ref:2929194)   #9
FalconEL
Racer

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland
FalconEL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Must be a slow news day........

FACT: If you're any good, 9 times out of 10 you would probably be able to pass someone cleanly (in any form of motorsport). Ask Whincup or anyone that's even come close to winning the V8 Supercar Championship.
"I still can't spin the wheels all the way down the straight in high gear", Mark Donohue (The Unfair Advantage) commenting to the Porsche engineers on the 1100hp 1973 Can-Am Porsche 917-30 when asked whether the car has enough horsepower yet!!
Old 20 Jul 2011, 22:59 (Ref:2929199)   #10
Mr Intolerant
Rookie

Australia
Under your momma's bed!
Mr Intolerant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMr Intolerant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Add a poll!

I vote Joke, (but a bad one)
Old 21 Jul 2011, 01:41 (Ref:2929235)   #11
Oran Park Forever
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Oran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOran Park Forever should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Paul is simply stating the facts regarding the likely American reaction. Watch a Nascar race, any race, Sprint Cup, Nationwide, doesn't matter.....then wait for a driver to get a "drive through penalty" for a "bump & run" move. You'll be waiting forever!!!!
These tactics are fully accepted by all in the U.S.....drivers, spectators & commentators . When a bump & run occurs (deliberate or not) they don't franticly shout out "Oooooh he'd better redress(!) that or he'll get a drive through!!" They simply continue on commentating.......the only time they make a deal out of it is if the drivers involved have had a history, but even then there's no drive through & they simply say "well that'll get back!"

So Paul is correct in saying the Americans won't understand why V8SC drivers get penalised for this style of racing as they see it all the time.

Bring back the early years of V8SC (pre 96), good old fashion "leave it on the track" style racing, not this textbook B pillar garbarge.....

Old 22 Jul 2011, 00:22 (Ref:2929657)   #12
speedreader
Racer

Australia
speedreader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The trouble with Fomoco & some of the others who have contributed to this thread is your dislike of certain drivers badly affects your ability to be impartial. Whether or not you actually like Morris is irrelevant & why question his Dad's integrity, his race team or any crap personal insult into the debate ? Morris's comments stem from an observation about US racing versus Australian & how the Americans wont understand our style of discipline & he is 100% right. His wish to be allowed to sort things out on track is also not as stupid as it sounds. Yes, it can be expensive at times but it would also force some drivers to respect their fellow drivers & race, not block their way to the finish...
Old 22 Jul 2011, 00:35 (Ref:2929658)   #13
wjk98
Rookie

Australia
In the garage working on the racecar.
wjk98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paul Morris is one of the few real personalities in V8s. Just about everyone else gives the standard bland interviews most of the time.
Good on Morris for bringing up the subject as his thoughts on NASCAR and V8s should certainly get people thinking.
Hope Morris is around for years to come along with Gary Rogers and Brad Jones they all add a bit of colour to the usual beige V8 landscape.
Old 22 Jul 2011, 01:46 (Ref:2929662)   #14
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
You're kidding - may as well go to the fairground and watch the dodgems. Best racing tends to happen in Caterhams because you can still hurt yourself in those. As a result they tend to give each other just enough room which means you get lots of overtaking, overtaking back and fair defending of places and very little whinging. The best racing is usually in classes where it's in both drivers' best interests to avoid contact.
I agree with your observation absolutely, and it is generally why open wheelers had better races than tintops, however this bit of Morris' post does have a certain logic.

“If a driver knows there is a bloke behind him who is more than likely going to give him a tap he might leave the door open just that little bit more and then you have another pass, not necessarily a crash.” Paul Morris.

May prevent endless blocking?
Old 22 Jul 2011, 03:44 (Ref:2929669)   #15
sime1070
Rookie

sime1070 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He has a point...

Not sure why we need to kick the bloke - debating the discussion he is having seems more constructive - and I agree with him that V8 Supercars are overpoliced... What goes around comes around and if you turn someone in the Saturday race expect a reply on the Sunday... I don't think that we would see it turn into a demolition derby...
The Darwin restart is a classic example of overzealous officials - heaps of point deductions for really what were no more than opportunistic moves on several fronts... The personalities in NASCAR are far bigger than V8 Supercars and the 'Boys have at it" attitude certainly helps to create this e.g. Tony Stewart Vs. Brian Vickers at Infineon or Kyle Busch vs Kevin Harvick or Carl Edwards vs Brad Keselowski... I think the US fans might appreciate the machines as something different but find the rest a bit bland...
Cheers, Simon
Old 22 Jul 2011, 07:52 (Ref:2929707)   #16
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedreader View Post
The trouble with Fomoco & some of the others who have contributed to this thread is your dislike of certain drivers badly affects your ability to be impartial. Whether or not you actually like Morris is irrelevant & why question his Dad's integrity, his race team or any crap personal insult into the debate ? Morris's comments stem from an observation about US racing versus Australian & how the Americans wont understand our style of discipline & he is 100% right. His wish to be allowed to sort things out on track is also not as stupid as it sounds. Yes, it can be expensive at times but it would also force some drivers to respect their fellow drivers & race, not block their way to the finish...
AGreed, racing is clinical, but when a driver takes some out , who could loose a championship, then what. Sure it gets a bit dull, but having competed in 20 odd demo derbys, is this what you want?

According to Moriss it's ok to punt some one, well good for you, but if the punt wrecks the car, and the champioship or a race win, is that reallly want we want.

I do remember Mr Morris bleating when he was on the recieving end. But he was never going to win a championship.

AND IF MORRIS IS SO GOOD , WHY ISN'T HE IN THE MAIN GAME.

As I said before, yes the racing is clinical. but if you start punting people off, and proudly state it, I don't think you deserve a rating as a driver.

thats my point.
Old 22 Jul 2011, 08:46 (Ref:2929718)   #17
PorscheCurves
Racer

Australia
Sydney
PorscheCurves should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What the?

We should deffinitely not adopt NASCAR's driving standards. I don't want this series to turn into another beat-them-up crash derby. Sure, let them race to a point but if someone turns someone around, they should be penilised. Even if there's minor contact and doesn't effect the race what so ever, it should be looked at.

And taking matters into your own hands is stupid as well. It's all right in NASCAR because there are 6 or 7 spare cars and bucket loads of money but we don't have that in Australia and we might end up with a GT1 scenario where teams skip races because their cars are too badly damaged.

We might also see this driving come back to Australia and wreck our revetivly clean driving and teach up and coming drivers in the junior formulas that this is ok when it isn't, it's already bad enough.

Anyway, like what FalconEL said, if you were quick enough 9 out of 10 times you'd get past cleanly.
Old 22 Jul 2011, 09:06 (Ref:2929720)   #18
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
apparantly all of you who want to discuss what is in the link are off topic, this thread is about Paul Morris, is he a joke or what.

That being said a few people have mentioned how Paul is being funded by his father. I know he used to be funded, buy my understanding is that Paul has made his own money now (although probably using his dads finances to get it going) Is it likely that he now funds his own racing team, although using some company sponsoring from his dads companies (of which he is probably a part owner/directior

Terry is 71 (or so) he has probably handed over some of the running to his kids.
Old 22 Jul 2011, 09:18 (Ref:2929726)   #19
Peter Ford
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, south Australia
Peter Ford should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do we really want drivers to sort thinhs out on the tracks,man that would be dangerous,someone will be hurt or even killed.i can remember some of the stuff morris did on the racetrack they were very bad things.
Old 22 Jul 2011, 09:40 (Ref:2929730)   #20
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
i agree with you peter. i dont think we do to a certain level, but at the same time we dont want inconsistant or over officaldom.

a few years ago lowndes got penalised because he pushed a driver wide while passing, (i think it was rick) rick continued on his merry way, down one spot, lowndes got penalised, we dont want that surely, we also dont want guys penalised for doing burnouts on the grid or being too far behind a safety car, but we do

Americans wont get this, and to be fair, neither do australians, but we are used to it
Old 22 Jul 2011, 16:27 (Ref:2929837)   #21
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think sometimes it can be over policed, however also you shouldn't just be driving into people because you can't get a pass done. Morris in Perth his attitude was "I'll just kill the guy and pay him back". Which once you get to that point, it think it's a bit much.

There are plenty of instances in motor racing history where 2 drivers have been fighting a bit much and they go off resulting in a fatality.
Old 24 Jul 2011, 11:33 (Ref:2930378)   #22
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is only one phrase which springs into my mind everytime the topic of Paul Morris is raised and that is "constant acts of extreme spasticity". The driving standards of the main game have improved drastically since Morris left and Dumbrell must have secretly had the world's first brain transplant sometime in 2009.

It doesn't matter where his money comes from or came from, I'm terrified one day the combatitive attitude of this moron is going to result in the serious injury or death of another competitor just because Morris is a childish tool and I'm pretty sure none of us here want to see that.
Old 26 Jul 2011, 00:53 (Ref:2931148)   #23
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Picture this completely hypothetical scenario...

Nameless Fujitsu Driver (NFD) has been cruising up to the back of Morris for the last two laps... He gets a tow going down Conrod Straight, but as they approach The Chase Morris positions his car on the inside to defend... NFD turns in on a wider line to get a good run - he does... He goes around the final part of The Chase on the outside and as they approach the braking zone for Murrays Corner, NFD is halfway up the inside of Morris... Morris brakes ridiculously late and pulls clear under brakes - but it's too late and he runs wide on the exit... This gives NFD a great opportunity as he gets a run on Morris down the main straight and moves to the inside... They are side-by-side under brakes, however NFD has track position... Morris attempts to drive around the outside of Hell Corner - it is never going to work and he drifts wide, the two touch at the exit, pushing Morris wider and his right side wheels run through the gravel as he loses the place...

Aggrieved at the small contact, Paul's red mist descends... He brakes later than NFD at Griffins Bend, and gets a better exit... He brakes later again at The Cutting and gives the rear a tap... Morris gets a good run out of the cutting and, armed with his "rubbin's racin', payback's a *****, it should be ok to turn someone around, red mist" attitude, shoves the front of his car up the inside as NFD turns into Reid Park... Morris's front makes contact with the right rear of NFD... NFD's car spins and makes heavy contact with the right side wall... Morris continues, as NFD's car bounces off the wall and rolls back into the middle of the track, on the other side of a completely blind crest, as cars approach at racing speed...

What happens next?

Does Paul care? Or is he just glad that he got his revenge? Could there be a criminal case if it was determined that Paul acted deliberately and caused a situation where a fellow competitor was hurt, or worse? Would Paul's attitude be the same if he ever looked like racing for something more than his own interest (ie. a championship or even a race win) these days? Did he enjoyed being punched by Tony Longhurst? Does anyone else find it ironic that Morris once carried 'Diet' Coke sponsorship?

Having said all that... I like and respect Paul. He adds colour, variety and a sense of humour to a sometimes boring paddock... I just disagree vehemently with his take on this.

There needs to be regulation - and it needs to be applied with common sense. We cannot have a free for all - go and watch the Toronto Indycar race from a couple of weekends ago to see what happens when there is no regulation. It was an absolute disaster.

Australians, perhaps moreso than Americans, expect sporting integrity - and (by and large) Australian racing fans are cultured enough to appreciate a quality piece of racing over a driver punting a rival out of the way to take the position.
Old 26 Jul 2011, 09:54 (Ref:2931238)   #24
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Bevan-L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac View Post
Picture this completely hypothetical scenario...

Nameless Fujitsu Driver (NFD) has been cruising up to the back of Morris for the last two laps... He gets a tow going down Conrod Straight, but as they approach The Chase Morris positions his car on the inside to defend... NFD turns in on a wider line to get a good run - he does... He goes around the final part of The Chase on the outside and as they approach the braking zone for Murrays Corner, NFD is halfway up the inside of Morris... Morris brakes ridiculously late and pulls clear under brakes - but it's too late and he runs wide on the exit... This gives NFD a great opportunity as he gets a run on Morris down the main straight and moves to the inside... They are side-by-side under brakes, however NFD has track position... Morris attempts to drive around the outside of Hell Corner - it is never going to work and he drifts wide, the two touch at the exit, pushing Morris wider and his right side wheels run through the gravel as he loses the place...

Aggrieved at the small contact, Paul's red mist descends... He brakes later than NFD at Griffins Bend, and gets a better exit... He brakes later again at The Cutting and gives the rear a tap... Morris gets a good run out of the cutting and, armed with his "rubbin's racin', payback's a *****, it should be ok to turn someone around, red mist" attitude, shoves the front of his car up the inside as NFD turns into Reid Park... Morris's front makes contact with the right rear of NFD... NFD's car spins and makes heavy contact with the right side wall... Morris continues, as NFD's car bounces off the wall and rolls back into the middle of the track, on the other side of a completely blind crest, as cars approach at racing speed...

What happens next?

Does Paul care? Or is he just glad that he got his revenge? Could there be a criminal case if it was determined that Paul acted deliberately and caused a situation where a fellow competitor was hurt, or worse? Would Paul's attitude be the same if he ever looked like racing for something more than his own interest (ie. a championship or even a race win) these days? Did he enjoyed being punched by Tony Longhurst? Does anyone else find it ironic that Morris once carried 'Diet' Coke sponsorship?

Having said all that... I like and respect Paul. He adds colour, variety and a sense of humour to a sometimes boring paddock... I just disagree vehemently with his take on this.

There needs to be regulation - and it needs to be applied with common sense. We cannot have a free for all - go and watch the Toronto Indycar race from a couple of weekends ago to see what happens when there is no regulation. It was an absolute disaster.

Australians, perhaps moreso than Americans, expect sporting integrity - and (by and large) Australian racing fans are cultured enough to appreciate a quality piece of racing over a driver punting a rival out of the way to take the position.
Morris will not be held accountable, as the post investigations will reveal it was infact as a result of the NFD's car breaking a watts linkage bolt which will trigger crompo to show us what a bolt is via the harrop 3d images with matt white going "now i've seen everything" along with Skaifey continuing on with "Its on for young and old" while Channel 7 eventually shows the actual event "live" 7 years later.....

I think i've covered all bases???
Old 27 Jul 2011, 00:26 (Ref:2931576)   #25
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
^ you forgot to cue for the KFC ad