Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 23 Mar 2012, 11:14 (Ref:3047031)   #126
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
I think you can safely say "yes" - it's one of those few cars that are automatically and universally acceptable in every way.

It's always the "cost" thing I suppose, but a decent uprated one from Eagle would be reliable and still look like an original. Admiring looks from passers-by plus approbation from boy-racers.

What more could you ask for?
Old 23 Mar 2012, 12:22 (Ref:3047065)   #127
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Well here's my dilemma.....

I can't afford an Eagle, nor can I afford (or would want) one of these ground up restroation jobbies that pretend to be a real Jaguar but are actually a 95% brand new car, and yet hardly any more reliable than an original.

That leaves trying to find one of the few genuine cars around at affordable prices. The US import below is the sort of thing I could afford, advertised for a bit under £19k. Obviously needs work but nothing I couldn't handle.

But here's the dilemma bit.... I like it looking like that (ie unrestrored) but I'd want to completely replace the rediculously unreliable instruments, lighting, wiring, electrical system, cooling system and fuel system with modern parts. Then I'd put some decent suspension and brakes on, and probably convert it to right hand drive for good measure..... thus making the thing reliable but probably worth less than when I bought it because it was no longer "original"!!

And would I wan't to do all that work, when similar money would buy a really nice MGB or the like?
Attached Thumbnails
E - type roadster.jpg  
Old 23 Mar 2012, 12:46 (Ref:3047079)   #128
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Ah. Well,yes, you wouldn't want to rely on Lucas, the Prince of Darkness.
So the E-Type is "out" then, on grounds of cost against practicality.

Back to square one, unless you move to the States - by all accounts you wouldn't look too silly in a soft-top.I've never understood, by the way, why the UK is the biggest buyer of soft-tops in Europe, what with our climate and all.

Maybe Bella had it right - it's the romantic notion thing. The Sunbeam Alpine driven by Grace Kelly in "To catch a thief" was the equivalent of today's cabriolets - mainly pose, no go.
Old 23 Mar 2012, 12:53 (Ref:3047084)   #129
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Partly that, but I suspect it's because we go as overboard trying to make the best of the little bit of sun we get each summer as we do about the little bit of snow we get each winter!

Last edited by dtype38; 23 Mar 2012 at 20:06. Reason: missed a word out
Old 23 Mar 2012, 13:09 (Ref:3047091)   #130
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
But anything you buy in the car line, whether it be classic or otherwise, will never gain value (excepting the real icons of course). So, I'd go for the E Type and do what you want with it.

Alternatively, your idea of the ubiquitous MGB is relatively sound. Get one, stick a V8 in it, do the coil spring and dampers conversion, stick a piar of decent Ridgard seats in it and enjoy it.
Old 23 Mar 2012, 14:17 (Ref:3047126)   #131
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtype38 View Post
But here's the dilemma bit.... I like it looking like that (ie unrestrored) but I'd want to completely replace the rediculously unreliable instruments, lighting, wiring, electrical system, cooling system and fuel system with modern parts. Then I'd put some decent suspension and brakes on, and probably convert it to right hand drive for good measure..... thus making the thing reliable but probably worth less than when I bought it because it was no longer "original"!!
but what you would have is a completely usable car *for you* that was worth more on a day to day basis. you'd have a modern reliability with the styling of an old classic.

it's like a house isn't it. often people really want period features, but they're going to put modern versions of the light fittings and carpets in because it's simply nicer to live in.
Old 23 Mar 2012, 17:05 (Ref:3047176)   #132
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You obviously can't go wrong with an E-type. I thought the Series 2 were pretty well sorted from the factory? I'm sure an US car would have lower compression than a British spec one, fyi.
Old 23 Mar 2012, 20:12 (Ref:3047239)   #133
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I'm sure an US car would have lower compression than a British spec one, fyi.
Ah, well I just happen to have a newly rebuilt high compression one under my bench (literally) so that's not an issue. In fact, if I do go in this direction I'll be starting a thread in the technical forum about the potential benefits and pitfalls of fitting full engine management to an old engine design.

But then Peter is quite right about the attractions of and MGBV8.(was the V8 ever fitted by the factory to a roadster?)

I feel an answer to my original question approaching.... so wait till you see my next question!
Old 23 Mar 2012, 22:30 (Ref:3047302)   #134
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Well here's my dilemma.....

I can't afford an Eagle, nor can I afford (or would want) one of these ground up restroation jobbies that pretend to be a real Jaguar but are actually a 95% brand new car, and yet hardly any more reliable than an original.

That leaves trying to find one of the few genuine cars around at affordable prices. The US import below is the sort of thing I could afford, advertised for a bit under £19k. Obviously needs work but nothing I couldn't handle.

And would I wan't to do all that work, when similar money would buy a really nice MGB or the like?
Remembering the old Peter Egan "Side Glances" columns about his long journey with his E-type, where he spent so long rebuilding it, by the time it was finished he drove it a bit and then sold it as other projects and interests came about.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/column/t...and-the-lovely

Probably by the time you finish a basket case car like the one you mention and considering how time consuming E-types are to get running, you'll have to start a new column called "Old Men and Convertibles?" when the E-type finally hits the road.
Old 23 Mar 2012, 23:17 (Ref:3047326)   #135
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I suppose this thread shouldn't be "Middle aged men" as the average age of the UK and US male is 80 !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 23 Mar 2012, 23:30 (Ref:3047331)   #136
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
....... MGBV8.(was the V8 ever fitted by the factory to a roadster?).........
'fraid not. Costello did an aftermarket conversion, which was so good the factory picked up on it, but IIRC they decided that the stiffer GT shell was needed to handle the power.
Old 24 Mar 2012, 16:05 (Ref:3047525)   #137
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
[Been looking at one of these (W113 Pagoda) this morning being repaired at my mates bodyshop, I understand they are a bit rare, I know one thing the front grill costs a fortune !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 24 Mar 2012, 17:38 (Ref:3047553)   #138
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
Remembering the old Peter Egan "Side Glances" columns about his long journey with his E-type, where he spent so long rebuilding it, by the time it was finished he drove it a bit and then sold it as other projects and interests came about.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/column/t...and-the-lovely

Probably by the time you finish a basket case car like the one you mention and considering how time consuming E-types are to get running, you'll have to start a new column called "Old Men and Convertibles?" when the E-type finally hits the road.
I think you make an excellent point....

So if that's to be the route, its double the price and get a one in reasonable condition. That MGB is looking more attractive all the time.... and I've got a mate with one now!
Old 24 Mar 2012, 18:34 (Ref:3047574)   #139
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This one has nylon bushes, uprated and lowered suspension, knock on alloys and a 1860 fast road engine.
Attached Thumbnails
mgb.jpg  
Old 25 Mar 2012, 16:09 (Ref:3048112)   #140
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Tempting, very tempting.... but got to sell the Mk 2 first
Old 25 Mar 2012, 18:44 (Ref:3048216)   #141
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I always used to know the MGB as the money pit car.

Growing up living at or next to Army bases, the large bases always had a "lemon lot" where soldiers could sell their personal cars, motorcycles or boats. There were always deals to be had as soldiers would deploy overseas or need to unload a car quick for cash. Since most young soldiers always wanted an interesting car and often a project car, the "lemon lot" would always have a wide plethora of cool and unusual cars. Even though I had no money, one of my weekly hobbies would be to go look at the cars on sale.

Inevitably there would almost always be an MGB sitting on the lot, mostly looking a little sad or tired. Usually in the window there would be a list of all the recently added parts or service and it seemed this car always drove people to project burnout. I don't think I ever saw one that didn't need attention and often out of 40-60 cars there would even be 2-3 MGs or Triumphs sitting there with sad rusty eyes looking for the next dreamer.

Probably most of these people came to their senses and just bought a Miata or a Mustang so they could get back to driving again.
Old 25 Mar 2012, 20:28 (Ref:3048294)   #142
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Maybe its just a "foreign exotica" thing. I think what you describe probably also applies over here, but it'll be an American muscle car or two sitting waiting for the next dreamer. Then they find their pockets aren't quite deep enough, and they don't have the patience for all the waiting for parts to ship via slow boat from the States. I know the feeling cos I have a 34yr old American Class C camper van.
Old 26 Mar 2012, 11:32 (Ref:3048663)   #143
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
This one has nylon bushes, uprated and lowered suspension, knock on alloys and a 1860 fast road engine.
Quote:
Tempting, very tempting.... but got to sell the Mk 2 first
That's ok, it's not for sale. I was just telling you what we've done to it.
Old 26 Mar 2012, 11:56 (Ref:3048688)   #144
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
To go back to the orginal thread title

I don't think there are many cars a man can drive and look comfortable in a convertible!

Any age really.

Manufacturers have now made convertibles a sort of woman only thing!

Maybe an old Aston? V8 Vantage perhaps? None of the new stuff. I just guess being a lanky person I feel ridiculous in any of them and realise that the hardtop will always feel more solid!

Never understood the fascination with MG's really, aren't they just a mass produced sports car like a CRX or an MR2? I guess they have some historic value, but they are a awful hector from what peopel I know have told me!

Myabe a muscle car ragtop like a Mustang is the only one, or a Viper!
Old 26 Mar 2012, 13:29 (Ref:3048779)   #145
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That Merc Pagoda is gorgeous. Saw one this morning, recently sold by my local car dealer. Absolutely immaculate having done 27,000 miles in nearly 40 years. If you need to ask how much, you can't afford one.
Old 27 Mar 2012, 02:49 (Ref:3049145)   #146
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
Just had a heart-to-heart with the daughter ; turns out she once had a "hot date" who turned up in an S2000 when she knew perfectly well that he had a Focus at home as well.

She considered this the typical male "bragging" scenario and has been put-off the car ever since. Spoil-sport.

(One date once arrived in a Nissan 200SX but lowered and dustbin exhaust style - when he started to show the exhaust cut-out she got out and walked home. Don't think the lad ever "got" her reasoning).

So this is the female perspective according to the rules of a feisty 26-yr old :-
Small sports (MX5 etc) - too girlie
Large sports (Jag,Aston etc) - too expensive
All cabriolets - ladies that lunch
Performance (Caterham, Atom etc) - only good for track days
Classics - unreliable

By her rules, there isn't anything out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
have you considered pitching this thread to top gear as a james may presented special episode?

that triumph looks awesome!
Years ago, Top Gear or Fifth Gear (can't remember which) did an experiment to see what car would "pull chicks". They assembled a bevy of attractive, young, single ladies and wheeled in an assortment of cars to gauge their opinion of what the cars said about their owner. It went like this:-

Modern saloon - travelling sales rep!
Station wagon - married, with children!
Austin Healey 100 - One girl said her uncle owns one, another laughed and said her GRANDfather owns one!
Porsche 911 - ******! (Owner Operator in PC terms)
Mazda 5 - Girl's car
Hot hatch - Childish, immature, reckless and not very bright

To my surprise the winner was a soft top Jeep! The girls said it shows he is a rugged, manly, outdoors type and not pretentious or fake.
Old 27 Mar 2012, 04:37 (Ref:3049161)   #147
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about a R107 Merc SL? I know they are not the greatest cars in the world but surely a decent car for the money these days - or are they more expensive than I think?
Old 27 Mar 2012, 05:41 (Ref:3049171)   #148
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID PATERSON View Post
Years ago, Top Gear or Fifth Gear (can't remember which) did an experiment to see what car would "pull chicks". They assembled a bevy of attractive, young, single ladies and wheeled in an assortment of cars to gauge their opinion of what the cars said about their owner. It went like this:-

Modern saloon - travelling sales rep!
Station wagon - married, with children!
Austin Healey 100 - One girl said her uncle owns one, another laughed and said her GRANDfather owns one!
Porsche 911 - ******! (Owner Operator in PC terms)
Mazda 5 - Girl's car
Hot hatch - Childish, immature, reckless and not very bright

To my surprise the winner was a soft top Jeep! The girls said it shows he is a rugged, manly, outdoors type and not pretentious or fake.
D-Type is probably not out there trying to pull chicks, but I am and in my experience the adventurer off roader look goes better than the preppy European look unless you are in New York City or something.

I was always was dismissive of Jeeps, until recent years when I have been doing lots of off roading and they are very capable off road. I am sure the soft top Jeeps would not be bad convertibles, but if one was looking to carve up winding roads, it's probably not the thing.
Old 27 Mar 2012, 05:47 (Ref:3049174)   #149
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875 View Post
What about a R107 Merc SL? I know they are not the greatest cars in the world but surely a decent car for the money these days - or are they more expensive than I think?
To me they look a bit oldster. They were popular cars for rich guys to give to mistresses or daughters and you can find tons of them dirt cheap for sale in South Florida.

I like the later SL500's like around 2001 or so. Here in the USA you can get a nice one for around $15-$25K. I've actually looked at those as I have wanted a convertible for a fun car and they are solid enough, look good without being over the top and have some speed.
Old 27 Mar 2012, 07:49 (Ref:3049207)   #150
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
To me they look a bit oldster.
So you can't be too old for a hot hatch, but you can be too young for a Merc SL?